Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Ah Xia

Bitter Moon

Kokoro no oni ga mi wo semeru. The body is tortured only by the demon of the heart. Nepal poppy, lotus root, wild rose, and blue hibiscus with blackberry, tonka, sage, lavender, peony and vetiver.

This scent is a definite win for me. I was thrown off by the title because I thought it would be too bitter - too herbal for me, but it wasn't. I was also afraid of the rose but I shouldn't have been - it didn't make an appearance. This scent is really lovely in a "weird" sort of way. It is very strong wet and I was almost afraid that it would stay that strong but it didn't. It melted away into something lovely, heady, and rich. A forest at midnight. I can smell the sage and lavender... and a hint of something bitter, almost medicinal - probably the tonka. I have to say though, this is one of my favorite moons and I will be keeping this bottle for special occasions. B)

Wet on my skin: Slightly bitter berries mingling with bubble gum-toned lotus and a little rose that blends in. It seems like, in addition to the blackberries, I smell a few unlisted red currants. Maybe that's the poppy? I also get a note that reminds me of the lab's blue musk, and wonder if that's blue hibiscus. Basically, Bitter Moon starts off a slightly bitter, and kind of tropical, berry floral.

Dry: A little more fruity, a little more tangy. The latter might be coming from the hibiscus. I pick out a ghostly, hollow sage, barely there, but find no tonka, peony, or vetiver.

I wonder what the berries were like before this aged 10 years. But anyway, I like it.

Wet: Sagey lavender with tinges of vetiver.

Drydown: Juicy blackberry takes over. The sage curls around the edges, and there is a hint of smoke.

Dry: Soft, slightly smoky blackberry with hints of sage.

Overall: This is pleasant and sweet without being overly foody.