Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
viciousviolet

The Devil

Dark, musky, and animalistic. Possibly patchouli or black musk, I can't tell. I'm not good a picking out civet, so I'm not sure if its in this, but this is a very dark, heavy blend. I'm not getting any of the cinnimon. Just dark musk and patchouli

For some reason, I expected more spice or smoke from The Devil, but it's just as others have written: musk, civet, and florals. I also pick up on a very slight leather note, but that might just be a cross of other notes in the blend. And right in the center, I feel like there's the tiniest bit of powdery mint. The overall effect on my skin is of a sweet floral incense with a deep animalistic base.

The contrast between the florals and the more agressive musk/civet is really interesting, but in the end, this is a little overwhelming for me. However, it does very appropriately capture the vibe of the Tarot card.

In the bottle: This is Death but with a hint of mint

First on: Yup. It's the same vetiver patchouli but with a mint, I think it's pennyroyal. And musk. And if there's civet in it, I will start to stink in a few seconds.

Drydown: Of course the water is turned off in my building right now, because I smell like a cross between cat piss and spoilt milk. Honestly, I stink so bad that it's hard to tell what the other test spots I had going smell like.

Overall: The Devil always made me think of indulgences. This makes me think of vomit.

At first I thought it smelled like a sweet floral with frankincense. It's just a little bit powdery. It's even bright, kind of like citrus, for a bit. Powdery and sweet. I wish this was darker on me, I'd even like to smell some civet like other people do. I was really hoping for a deep dark scent. Not a sweet girlie powder with a very slight pine-like undertone to it.

I wanted musky dark murk and I got sweet resiny incense. As usual the Devil wants to bring out what's really in me instead of what I want. Stupid Devil.

But to be honest this oil is still one of my favorite Tarot oils.

First sniff: Dark. Looming. Powerful. And a bit smoky.

Wearing: Erk. Glad I just tried this on one wrist – it’s giving me the dark-green vetiver funk.

The Devil - The very first note I detect is a soapy floral that reminds me of magnolia, but which almost instantly fades and is replaced by the strong scent of light musk and ... something. I can't quite put my finger on it what it might be. As the scent dries down, I'm astonished that I detect the very distinct scent of vanilla bean -- the exact same vanilla bean note that's used in Snake Oil. I'm really surprised that no other reviewers mention this note because it's so distinctive in this blend. About an hour after application, the very distinctive scent of civet is discernible as the dominant note, yet it doesn't have that "bad breath" quality that civet can have -- the vanilla bean and whatever floral is in this manage to temper the civet and keep it under control. About three hours after application, the only scent I detect anymore is a very light vanilla, and it's really pretty. I'm surprised that The Devil is such a pretty scent, as I would have expected something much more fiery and spicy -- but I like it, and it works.

Sour floral, sickly, almost rotty-sweet. Some fruit here, too, I suspect, but that, too is a little past its prime. Growing steadily sharper and more sour on my skin. Clearly not for me.

I think my sense of smell might be off today - this smells like watermelon to me. something sweet. I don't get civet or musk - it's a light and sweet scent. maybe some flowers in there too?

Wow, I am having a really hard time placing the notes in this one. It’s musky, warm….

Hmmm, yeah, I think there’s civet in here – but I can’t say for sure. It could be just a very strong musk. Nope, it’s civet. It’s slightly sweet and the civet is getting stronger. There’s a slightly astringent scent here. Animalistic. It's a bit too strong for me to wear comfortably - I like some civet scents but not this one.

Who knew the devil could smell so good? I get something really salty from this one. It's like a dark flower floating in very salty water with the lights out.

I have no clue wth is in this. Musk of some kind?

This is dark, thick, heavy, devious and a little bit sexy. Just the way I like my scents! It's a keeper. :P

The Devil - The very first note I detect is a soapy floral that reminds me of magnolia, but which almost instantly fades and is replaced by the strong scent of light musk and ... something. I can't quite put my finger on it what it might be. As the scent dries down, I'm astonished that I detect the very distinct scent of vanilla bean -- the exact same vanilla bean note that's used in Snake Oil. I'm really surprised that no other reviewers mention this note because it's so distinctive in this blend. About an hour after application, the very distinctive scent of civet is discernible as the dominant note, yet it doesn't have that "bad breath" quality that civet can have -- the vanilla bean and whatever floral is in this manage to temper the civet and keep it under control. About three hours after application, the only scent I detect anymore is a very light vanilla, and it's really pretty. I'm surprised that The Devil is such a pretty scent, as I would have expected something much more fiery and spicy -- but I like it, and it works.

OMG THAT IS IT. I couldn't figure out where I'd smelled that odd vanillaish note, and now I realize it was in snake oil. I totally agree. I wonder what this would smell like layered with Snake Oil....

ETA: I wore it again today and while there is that dark musky base, the top notes have a light almost floral feel. I agree with the person who said possibly narcissus? I think that's one of the few flowers I can wear. Compared to the scents I love, this one is almost light. Like I noted before, it has a sweet, almost vanilla-like drydown.

Edited by talula_fairie

Oh dear. I tried Debauchery, which is supposedly pretty heavy on the dreaded civet, and didn't get any poo notes or anything from it, so I wasn't worried about the civet...

And in the vial, it does smell wonderful. There's a sweet, boozy top-note, which I find immensely appropriate, a heavy earthy-musky background, and something hot and bright. Perhaps a thin thread of something smoky. I really like it in the vial.

On me, wet, the boozy note gets stronger, with a sort of nose-tickling, bubbly edge.

Then it dries and... er... baby powder and dirty diapers. :P

I'm going to try this again later, just to make sure my chemistry or sense of smell isn't just funky atm, but... This isn't working as a skin scent, I think.

ETA 7/21/07: It actually doesn't turn out as bad now, a week later, but there is still a whiff of the baby powder and poo thing going on. :\ I'd try it as a room scent but I don't know if I really want something that musky (or of this particular symbolism for that matter) suffusing a whole room. alkdsjfdl;jfk damn it.

Edited by Vampy

Like Nightbird, I got melon at first, and thought my olfactory brain was completely scrambled. I'm still getting a light, nearly soapy, fruity floral... and who knew that Satan smelled like Bath & Body Works? Even more bizarre, on my previous test from the same imp, I seriously thought there was dragon's blood in this (the light-floral aspect it sometimes produces, anyway).

Ah, well. The fewer discontinued scents I fall in love with, the more room I have left in my virtual pocket for Smut. :P

This is my (last minute!) addition to the Civet Evangelism Sniffing Circle. :P

in imp: red musk, myrrh, geranium? - someting bitterly yellow that's not reading as lemon to my nose.

on wet: 6:05 - patchouli comes out adding a sweet dark background to the bitterness of myrrh and red musk... there's still a high yellow note that's reminding me of geranium.

drydown: 6:25 - something both dirty and sweet, almost rotten, with a bitterness overlaying it all. To me this is a wonderful representation of (especially the Rider-Waite) The Devil - chains (often self-imposed) binding you to the physical realm at the expense of the mental, emotional and spiritual realms. There's a musk here, as well as a definite scent of myrrh and patchouli, as well as the bitter (now rotten as well) overtones.

6:45 - sweet aged patchouli, bitter woody myrrh, red musk plus a musk that yes, I think is civet. At this point I like it, although I didn't before. That yellow rotted bitterness is gone. My husband says it smells like baby powder and attic - like his grandmother. :D

7:15 - ah phoo, the red musk has come to the fore again and made this all icky: rotten flowers and sweat... with a nice background of civet and patchouli! *sigh* I can't be the only one whose skin amps only the notes they don't like?

From the Civet Evangelism sniffing circle, courtesy of Sealgair"

Ah yes...civet. The Force is strong with this one.

For a moment, it almost goes sweet from what I imagined was red or dark musk, and I'm catching something low and deep like myrrh, but mostly it's a sharp, musky civet that mellows into something sulphur-ish (not a horrible egg-like odor, but that's what pops in my head when I sniff) and brown. It's not awful, but not something I'd wear as perfume, that's for sure.

Orange creamsicle! The Devil is an orange creamsicle to me!

I know that makes no sense.

I'm sorry.

But that's what it smells like fresh!

The orange part goes FAR background quickly but the creamy bit stays.

Very fresh, some musk, a little sharpish.

A little floral, somewhat lily-esque or toy doll head smelling. Yes, I can't keep away from the weird associations. Maybe faintly lavender, but not really.

Very pleasant! Goes a bit darker as it dries, come up from underneath-like. The floral note is enough to make this a little heady while the musk(?) keeps playing solid in the same range as the floral. For me this all takes place in a high place with very little underpinning it. It's dancing in the penthouse and upper/midfloor but haz no basements.

That doesn't make sense either but good luck to you!

in the bottle: yummy, musky amber :D

wet on skin: yep- deep, sexy musk, sweet dark amber. this is certainly shaing up to be a scent of desire! :P

dry down: yes, a dark, sensual fragrance, appropriate for man woman or beast :D

in all: as a Capricorn, the Devil is my card and as such, i felt almost obligated to make sure i tried this oil. i am SO glad i did, as this is quickly turned into one of my favorites. sexy, sweet and darkly resinous, this oil encapsulates the feelings of self-bondage we silly mortals throw ourselves into. :joy: perfect.

:D :D :joy:

Oh god, this so doesn't work for me. It's got musk and probably civet and maybe some amber. But the result is like musky MOTH BALLS.

Epic fail.

I bought a bottle of this a while ago. It's a lovely blend...I got it for the scent and not because of the Tarot association.

I don't find this a very "dark" or heavy scent. To me this smells like a musky/herbal blend with a dash of civet (but not too much -- just enough to give it depth). What really won me over on The Devil was the drydown. The drydown, on me, is powdery and smells a *lot* like my beloved, long-discontinued Unseelie. Soft, powdery -- hard to describe, but just a wonderful scent.

I am so glad I took a shot at this , won on EBay from the Lab . As a fan of musk , after reading the other reviews , I figured it would be a pretty safe bidding item . Little did I expect to like it as much as I do . So , yes , there is a musk here . And a dark variety at that . But , it is balanced out by other notes . There is a lightness to this . It's almost like pine but it is neither as sweet or as green as that . Not sweet smelling , at least not sweet in comparison to some of the other musky blends I own . It is just a tiny bit sweet , like the sweetness of the smell of freshly cut grass . Or hay . Not like baked goods . This is just a really lovely blend . Now I'm curious about what else I missed in the Tarot . Guess I'll just have to keep my eyes peeled for the next auction B)

This was so foul on me that I wound up gifting it away to a local civet enthusiast because I couldn't bear with keeping it in my bpal box any longer. To the best of my recollection, I would hazard the ingredients include dark musk, civet, magnolia and amber. It is an interesting blend on the right person. It is what I assume the cologne Aleister Crowley wore smelled like. It was a blend of ambergris, musk and civet that he claimed attracted woman and horses to him. I have no desire to attract women and horses and so this was an unfortunate pass.