Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
gloom bear

Red Currant, Black Currant & Cassis scents

I did a search, but couldn't find a rec thread for black currant and cassis scents...

So anyone else love this fruity scent? It always reminds me of good times in Europe. I can't understand why black currant isn't big in the states...it's sooo yummy! It's been very hard to find black currant scented products as well as flavored foods and drinks. I have found a product or two at Lush that has a black currant based scent, and although I'm glad to have found them, I didn't think they were keepers. The scent was nice, but not the product. Anyways...back on the ranch...looking for black currant or cassis scents on the BPAL website and this is the list of scents to read about in my black currant quest. Anyone know how black curranty these scents are? Any other recs would be welcome too! Thanks!

Lurid

Masabakes

Medea

Bordello

Edited by ivyandpeony
added search terms to title

i don't know what it really smells like, but i really like Lurid. I haven't had the chance to try any of the others. i get a lot of lavender and ozone-y notes from it myself.

edit: now i'm getting this odd fruity scent that is sort of like grapes or blueberries...is that what you mean? it is indeed pretty. I guess i never noticed it since i've never tested this scent thoroughly.

Edited by klavierbarrette

I did a search, but couldn't find a rec thread for black currant and cassis scents...

So anyone else love this fruity scent? It always reminds me of good times in Europe. I can't understand why black currant isn't big in the states...it's sooo yummy! It's been very hard to find black currant scented products as well as flavored foods and drinks. I have found a product or two at Lush that has a black currant based scent, and although I'm glad to have found them, I didn't think they were keepers. The scent was nice, but not the product. Anyways...back on the ranch...looking for black currant or cassis scents on the BPAL website and this is the list of scents to read about in my black currant quest. Anyone know how black curranty these scents are? Any other recs would be welcome too! Thanks!

Lurid

Masabakes

Medea

Bordello

well, i've only tried bordello and lurid from that list, but lurid reminded me of cassis, now that you mention it. cassis + ozone, if i remember correctly.

i love cassis candy-they sell some in tins at cost plus that i get sometimes. soooo good. in fact i think they sell a few different cassis candies at cost plus. it's been awhile since i've been there though...

Edited by theseagrows

if you can get your hands on these 2 montsterbaits (underbed has cassia and

closet has blackberries which may be somewhat similar to black currants) and combine them you might have just what you are looking for :P

I love Skin Sin from Lush, which has their black currant scent. I have read comments on the NA Lush forum about some of the black currant products - there are a number of people who pick up an off note from black currant that reminds them of body odor. I do know what they are talking about, because I have picked up a whiff of that from different berry notes at different times. But it makes me wonder if there's some American prejudice against black currant, at least among rabid Lushies! :P

I would add Gomorrah to the currant list - the notes don't specify whether it's red or black, but the blend is incredibly rich and fruity and doesn't have any of the tartness that I associate with red currant. The blend where I really detect the most black currant is Eat Me - of course, there's lots of vanilla and bakery cake supporting it, so if you are not a foody person, you may not like that one (I see it did not make your list).

Of the list you've compiled, Masabakes & Bordello are the only ones I have worn more than once (neither Lurid nor Medea worked well enough for more than a preliminary sniff, swipe, and wash-off, unfortunately). Masabakes is extremely spicy on me and a little more heavily fruity than I like, but I think that you should definitely try it in your quest! And I have always associated the deep, sweet undercurrent (no pun intended) of Bordello with plum, but I may have to pull out my imp and try it again to see if I smell black currant in there.

I love Lurid. The currant is dark and sweet and subtle, and blends with the resin and musk in the drydown. Eat Me is all currents and cake. Very rich, sweet, and strong. I had to order Mina. I think it will be a very complex blend, but with the currant and musk it will have to be wonderful!

You may want to try Bewitched. It is blackberry and dark musk, which is quite similar to currants.

Edited by lookingglass

There are a few scents with black currant; most of the currant-type scents seem to be red, though. I think red is sweeter and tends to be a bit less bitter & dark smelling than the black variety (at least in BPAL).

Here are some of the oils that contain currant; I really like it in Dragon's Heart and Lurid as some of my favorite blends that contain one or the other.

Some of these oils (ie Pannychis; I don't remember it at all) it's hard to discern the note. I think if some of the other notes are sweet/light, you have a better chance of detecting them.

Hope that helps!

There are a few scents with black currant; most of the currant-type scents seem to be red, though. I think red is sweeter and tends to be a bit less bitter & dark smelling than the black variety (at least in BPAL).

Here are some of the oils that contain currant; I really like it in Dragon's Heart and Lurid as some of my favorite blends that contain one or the other.

Some of these oils (ie Pannychis; I don't remember it at all) it's hard to discern the note. I think if some of the other notes are sweet/light, you have a better chance of detecting them.

Hope that helps!

pannychis wasn't fruity at all for me, though one of my favorites.

Edited by klavierbarrette

If you can get your hands on some Montresor (from the Descent into the Maelstrom series), it's the only blend I've gotten a strong blackcurrant vibe from. The description only says "black fruit," not blackcurrant specifically... but it's all blackcurrant and vanilla on me.

:P

Wow, thanks for all the tips! I'll def look into all of those. I've only managed to try Bewitched, but it didn't smell very berry-like on me. It was more of a sweet light musk on me. Good, but not berry and I was kinda sad. But on to the others...thanks again!

Does anyone else have the sudden craving for Ribena?

Jester is red currant, but I think the huckleberry adds a little darkness that may be similar to what you're experiencing with the black.

All Souls, one of the Halloween LEs, is descriped thusly:

An incense blend that invokes the higher qualities of mercy and compassion, mingled with the soft, sugared currant scent of offertory soul cakes.

I think black currants are usually used in cooking . . . might be worth a try.

I was going to say JESTER! It's very curranty on me.

Bordello was all amaretto and plum on my skin, I never did get currant from it. I do get a little currant from Dragon's Heart, but not a lot.

But I definitely get currant in Cheshire Cat! It's like currant + grapefruit + musk and it's beautiful.

Edit: NM, I read cassia, not cassis. :P

Edited by Gin

I like blackcurrant too, but I've found that a lot of the notes that are mixed with it in many of the blends don't work so well for me. I could smell the currant note in Lurid and really liked that part, but the ozone killed it for me. Likewise with whatever the floral in Masabakes is.

But I am reasonably sure that blackcurrant (along with pomegranate) is one of the "dark fruits" in Hymn to Proserpine, and that one is absolutely lovely on me! Well worth trying for anyone who likes dark fruity blends.

And I second the recommendations for Gomorrah, Montresor and Bewitched, though it does seem that with Bewitched different notes come out more on different people. Also Rage, which is much prettier than its name implies.

ETA: And All Souls! The grand prize winner of the Halloweenie scents for me. Beautiful light incense, blackcurrant, and a touch of something that smells like white rose. Gorgeous.

Edited by Miss Lynx

Oh, oh, such a good idea! I just tried Eat Me layered underneath and...yum! The currants are *amped* up!

Hm. My bottle of the stuff reads Black Raspberry Vanilla. Name change?

Edited by cinderfallen

i'm much more of the dark berry kinda girl

Well, they don't have black currant in them, but I definately get "dark berries" from Blood Countess and Morgause.

Sign in to follow this