Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
oakmoss

When you need something comforting or cheering

The smell of chocolate always makes me feel better. Bliss, Candy Butcher, Velvet, 13, they're all my loves when I'm feeling blue.

For some reason, even just a sniff of Kumiho makes me feel happy. I noticed it the first time I opened the imp.

There's something about Black Moon I find very calm and comforting, just not in a warm, fuzzy way.

Hm, I have a few...Snake Oil, Eat Me, Cockaigne, Sudha Segara, Hungry Ghost Moon and Mouse's LST. Those all make me feel quite snuggly and comforted. :P

Whitechapel instantly elevates my mood. The Lion, Bengal and Queen of Sheba also work well for that, as do Et Lux Fuit and Alice... and Boomslang... and.... Katharina... and then there's Punkie Night... and... oh. But none of those work quite as well as Whitechapel.

that is me in a nutshell today. i'm a fairly slow-moving bpal user and am only slowly beginning to show signs of addiction. i just received my third ever shipment of imps and i've been concealing some shakes and uncontrollable giddiness. so clearly, my imps are the only way i can avoid said gloominess. so which one of these imps should i test first (they're all new to me) to keep the frownies away today? of the 12 i got, i'm most inclined to try one of these: salome, crossroads, anne bonny, the apothecary, kyoto, the red queen, love lies bleeding. i think djinn and the high priest not to be described are for days when i actually want to wallow. hell's belle and urd were my frimps, so i have no idea. which first?!

I'm sorry you're feeling badly! I hope you can find a scent that is uplifting for you. The problem with that is it sort of depends on what you find comforting. My mood lifter is Whitechapel. Well, that's one of them anyway. Of the ones you've listed, I'd suggest Kyoto, because it's so light and refreshing, or the Crossroads, maybe.

I'm not familiar with any of those, unfortunately. But when I need something uplifting, I reach for Stardust 2006. Some happy GC/easily obtainable scents are Swank and Bon Vivant.

isn't succor for calmness/uplifting?

or quietude

Edited by shelldoo

that is me in a nutshell today. i'm a fairly slow-moving bpal user and am only slowly beginning to show signs of addiction. i just received my third ever shipment of imps and i've been concealing some shakes and uncontrollable giddiness. so clearly, my imps are the only way i can avoid said gloominess. so which one of these imps should i test first (they're all new to me) to keep the frownies away today? of the 12 i got, i'm most inclined to try one of these: salome, crossroads, anne bonny, the apothecary, kyoto, the red queen, love lies bleeding. i think djinn and the high priest not to be described are for days when i actually want to wallow. hell's belle and urd were my frimps, so i have no idea. which first?!

Choosing from that list? Well, I haven't tried some of them, but I can recommend The Apothecary as a relaxing and mellow blend and Anne Bonny as a ball-busting empowered blend. :P

if an uplifting scent is concerned, I highly recommend Iambe. try an imp. I also Recommend Sudha Segara for a very gentle, clean, comforting scent. Machu Pichu and Envy work wonders in terms of a fresh, happy, calm everyday scent, especially for warm weather. Very invigorating and not too sweet.

I haven't tried any of the scents that you've listed except for Salome, and it didn't work too well on me... so I can't recommend much. However, I think that just by the sound of it, Love Lies Bleeding with the flower and sap notes may work in some way.

May I ask what are the other imps you've got?

if an uplifting scent is concerned, I highly recommend Iambe. try an imp. I also Recommend Sudha Segara for a very gentle, clean, comforting scent. Machu Pichu and Envy work wonders in terms of a fresh, happy, calm everyday scent, especially for warm weather. Very invigorating and not too sweet.

I haven't tried any of the scents that you've listed except for Salome, and it didn't work too well on me... so I can't recommend much. However, I think that just by the sound of it, Love Lies Bleeding with the flower and sap notes may work in some way.

May I ask what are the other imps you've got?

in that batch, the others were cathedral, thanatos and grandmother of ghosts...except for the latter, scents that are for more...confident days, i'd presume :P i think love-lies-bleeding does the job. i'm about to purchase another load of imps, and i'm focusing on lighter, sweeter scents, i.e. tiger lily, arachne, the unicorn, coyote. i'm also very interested in nocnitsa, as i'm crazy for mosses and earth. i just find that the incensy, fire-laden scents don't do much for upturning my frown.

Yet another vote for Draon's Milk. If I'm feeling overwhelmed or weepy, it envelops me in snuggles. Nothing works like it, for me. I carry an imp with me, and won't even travel without a bottle of Dragon's Milk at this point - it even takes up precious space in my carry-on liquids baggie.

Scents with cream, teas, or spices tend to make me feel coziest. My warmest, cuddliest scents are:

Alice- this smells very creamy, almost ginger bread-like on me. It's soft, warm, and enveloping like a hug from grandma. Reminds me of rice pudding for some reason..

White Rabbit- reminds me of the teas I'd have with my grandmother. The linen, the sweet tea, the pepper, and ginger bring back fond memories and is a soothing balm for me.

Shub-Niggurath- this is very buttery with a nice ginger-y, spicy bite to it. Smells like something freshly baked and delicious. It always makes me feel warm and eases my upset stomach.

Death Cap- very earthy and soothing, particularly if you like to garden (or just like the smell of earth, like I do). Earth and vanilla.

Now when I need to be cheered up, I turn to my fruity, more bubbly scents. My favorite uplifting scents are:

Aunt Caroline's Joy Mojo- smells like Kool-Aid on but does this stuff ever work! It will lift your mood within minutes!

Delirium- more of a fruity floral, it's certainly perky. Rose, apple, lemon. After wearing this, I'm usually found giddily sniffing my wrists.

Embalming Fluid- this was my first love. White musk, green tea, aloe, and lemon. It's light, crisp, and clean.

Croquet- very bubbly scent. Musky, fruity, floral, everything. You just have to try it. You won't regret it.

Vampire Tears- was love at first sniff. Sweet green tea mixed with a fruity floral. It perks me up like nothing else. Instant happy. I turn to this right after Aunt Caroline's Joy Mojo.

Alice, Velvet, Kumiho, Snake Oil, Severin, Jailbait, Whitechapel, Boomslang, Trick or Treat, Snow White, Rose Red, Pink Moon 2005 (I think), Hungry Ghost Moon. There are more but this will get me started.

Gingerbread Poppet, Bonfire Night, Antique Lace, Dorian , Centzon T(whatever it is) as well as some other oils from a weirdo etailer in Ohio

the vanillas and honey and of course PUmpkin just envelope me in warm snugglies!

I reach for my beloved Dragon's hide. It makes me smile and feel like I'm wrapped in warm leather and smoke, which is really calming for me and also makes me think of friend Kelly who bought it for me.

Lately when I feel down I find myself reaching for Sloth. I don't know why, but t's like being wrapped up in a big warm blanket.