Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Tushnamatay

Pure internal harmony and spiritual bliss: the perfected meditation blend.

Completely baffled but I think I smell aloe sandalwood and vanilla. Very floaty and soothing! Slight baby powder smell up close but not bad at all. More sweet and sandalwood than anything.

Imp: Light but a little dusty. I agree--sandalwood and vanilla or tonka or benzoin. There is a warm, creaminess here but the sandalwood is dominating.

Wet: My skin kind of ruins the potential. This is all sandalwood and there is a rosy sort of scent that is not rosewood because it lacks the spiciness and it's not true rose. Maybe palmarosa?

Dry: Sandalwood and sweetness. My skin just destroyed this one. It's not that it's not lovely, it's just that I smelled a lot more in the imp than I do on my skin. This is just like a straight up sandalwood that fades quickly. I can see how it would be soothing because it really is a background sort of scent but it ultimately doesn't speak to me.

Throw: Mild.

Overall: Not a match for me. I think if you amp sandalwood less this might be a good option.

Tushnamatay

In the Imp – a light incense, a touch of …is there such a thing as a vanilla flower?….oh DANGIT I spilled it on my desk!!! I really hope I like this one because I’m going to be smelling it for a while. Interestingly, my faux-wood desk really amps the incense smell, almost turning it powdery :D

Wet – Same as my initial description above…but on my skin!

Dry – Wow, this is really well blended. No one note sticks out above the rest. Yes, there’s floral, but my skin doesn’t amp it like it does with most florals. Yes, there’s incense, but it’s not very smoky. A touch of spice (perhaps some cedar in there?) and a touch of sweet round this scent out into a complete circle…there’s no beginning or end, and I can’t find any of the edges!

Ok, there is definitely Cedar in here, because like Kathmandu, up close it smells a bit powdery on me. But unlike Kathmandu, there are other scents on my skin After a few hours, sadly, the cedar is all powder on me, just like Kathmandu.

I think this one would smell great on an oil burner, maybe on the BF. Will have to try it!

Edited by symbiosis

Whilst it's not totally straight up identical, if you love the smell of Nag Champa incense sticks in the box, you'll probably like this. It's very sweet, doesn't change much, and reminds me a little of Hymn to Proserpine with no fruitiness.

It's a bedtimey kind of scent but a warm one, forgive me if this makes no sense, first of all some scents to me are total bed-timers and others not, but of the bed-timers, there are cool ones and warm ones. Hopefully someone'll get this!

Maybe it is my chemistry, but I get clobbered (in a fluffy pillow sort of way) with Stargazer Lily. It hits my nose first and I find it hard to believe that only 2 other posters have smelled lily? Maybe that is the floral that everyone thinks they should recognize, but don't? Stargazer has a warm, spicy smell to me in real life along with that candied sweetness that is strong enough to fill a room. For other notes, I'd guess at a hint of vanilla, sandalwood, & amber.

I had a very emotion-filled day recently and was feeling very raw , wanting something soothing and this was my choice.

After the initial blast of lily burns off a bit, it makes me think of a thick, fine, camel colored cashmere blanket. Snuggly, warm, sensual, calm.

I got this as a freebie in a package that Husband ordered for me for Christmas and it is very nice. I probably wouldn't buy a bottle, but will relish what I have of Tushnamatay while I have it, and would not trade it away.

This... really does not change at all on my skin from the scent in the bottle. It's just constant syrupy golden goodness. I can't quite define it beyond that. Where everyone else is saying florals or sandalwood or vanilla... I just don't ever quite pick up on that. If I had to guess at the notes, I'd say perhaps benzoin, lotus, and... I don't know. Part of me wants to say there has to be some note in common with Tzadikim Nistarim, as they both have a bright, fruity quality to my nose. However, this one is definitely more goopy sticky, whereas Tzadikim Nistarim is a bit more juicy.

After around 12 hours, it's mostly faded, and I can kind of see where others get sandalwood from? But not really.

I do like this one when I have a headache, as it doesn't aggravate things any.

I am curious as to what this smells like fresh, as mine is from a very low 10mL bottle. I may have to pick up an imp next time I make a Lab order. I hope this isn't one of those blends I only like with three to four years on it, as my 10mL was originally much closer to half full and I would say it is now maybe a third full.

this was really light on me and the scent is so blended i can't pick out any particular scent, but light sweet, gentle.

Soft delicate florals mixed with sandalwood and some type of vanilla based resin. This is very well blended as others have mentioned, and the result is a light, kinda creamy, dry, woodsy vanilla blend. It's comforting and soothing and the sandalwood is absolutely perfect. :wub2:

Ordered imp from the lab

in imp: very faint incense and sandalwood

on wet: same as in imp

drying down: very calming - but faint and stays close to the skin. I'm not getting much in the way of florals as others have - this is more sweetly incensy creamy - it is very calming and something I would want to wear at home when I need rest/peace or for yoga.

Verdict: fades quickly and stays very close to the skin but I'd still like a bottle, I can always slather.

In the imp, this is a soft sweet floral-sandalwood scent. Very light and pretty. It's similar on my skin-I had just tested Moonshine & Mist, and while the two are very different, they have a similar feel to them, a sort of light misty sweet floral and delicate sandalwood. Very pretty.

Well this was pretty. But it faded crazy lightning fast. It left me a teensy bit of sweet floral which I can't smell unless I shove my nose into my wrist. So for a misty, gentle floral/sandalwood, I'll stick to Moonshine & Mist.

Imp: Soft, babyish floral (lily? lavender? Something powdery) and something cool and green.

Wet: Some kind of floral that I associate very, very strongly with the smell of 'natural' shops-- so, something that smells like hippie body products, but that isn't patchouli! :lol: And that soft green note, and maybe a tiny touch of sandalwood.

Dry: I can't tell if this actually vanishes almost instantly, or if it's just so similar to the body products I use it's melded into the smell of my soap! :D Either way, this is a pretty, soft, understated scent, but ultimately probably not one I'll use.

In the imp: Light, floral, a tiny bit soapy.

Wet on skin: Not smelling anything. My skin tends to eat stuff without grounding notes.

Drydown: Soap. Very nice, high-quality, soothing soap. But soap. My skin sucks the subtlety out of a lot of scents.

Dry on skin: Still smells like a very expensive soap, but not what I want to wear as a perfume.

Edited by bergamot_bliss

Floral sandalwood. Jasmine? Lily, maybe, but something I've worn and liked. I'm getting a white flower right up front that eventually fades into a sandalwood/vanilla.

It's a little more floral on me than what I'd want it for, but it's a very quiet floral.

Working my way through my BPAL collection and realizing that the Ts may well be my favorite "BPAL letter." Shocked I have never reviewed Tushnamatay before this. Testing from an imp I decanted from my 10 ML bottle. So yes, clearly, a very aged scent :)

IN THE IMP: Like so many others, I just can't put my finger on what this scent is. I'm getting sandalwood and cedar and something else resiny.

Applied to wrist and into crook of arm.

WET: The scent is absolutely 100% true to what's in the imp when applied ... in other words, oftentimes with BPAL there will be notes that I don't sniff in the imp but which become apparent as soon as it touches my skin, but this is exactly what it smells like in the imp. I think the note that I think is cedar may be the most predominant on me.

DRYDOWN: It fades from my wrist very quickly but lasts much longer in the crook of my arm, and the scent remains faithful to what it was in the imp/bottle.

OVERALL: I absolutely love love love this scent even though I'm still not quite sure what it is ... I resorted to cheating and reading the reviews and am sort of relieved to find that I am not the only one who finds it SO familiar and yet, without the list of notes, can't put my finger on it. Funny thing is my husband thinks everything I wear smells like sandalwood -- except for this. (I am wondering if perhaps he doesn't know sandalwood as well as he thinks he does, or just thinks that headshops smell like sandalwood). He did think it smelled like cedar though. And I am feeling pretty sure there is some cedar in this since that is a note that is pretty faboo on me. I don't meditate or do yoga or anything (in a perfect world I'd like to, I just don't) but this is definitely a calming, grounding and peaceful scent.

On a scale of 1-5, a 5.

ITI: It's a flight, white floral with something sweet - perhaps coconut or white sandalwood.

Wet: For me, it smells it smells like faint chocolate, gardenia, coconut meat, and powder (maybe sandalwood, certainly not the honey powder note I get).

Dry: This faded too quickly on my skin. After some dry time, I can pick up super faint coconut and vanilla.

In the bottle - A soft sandalwood incense

Wet on me - Soft almost smoky sandalwood

Dry on me - A soft smooth sandalwood scent

Overall - I liked it more than I expected, but it's not really my cup of tea

To my nose: Incense and a very sugared flower. Uh..Now I'm scared. Florals almost never work on me, I tend to stay away from most blends containing it, just because it is often the death of a blend for me. And it would certainly not help me meditate.

On: A little powdery and soapy scent, still very much floral. I must say this is not what I expected at all. Whenver I think meditation I think either calming and cool or warming and snuggly. This is too sweet, and now it's starting to smell like chapstick on me.

I'm sorry, I can't wear this for any longer, this is making me sick :(

Edited by Missy_killer

What the heck? I don't get any vanilla or sandalwood (which I was hoping for) ... but DANG floral and incense all over the place. This blend is vibrant and bright, and just a little bit warm, but certainly not for me. I do blame whatever floral is in here though as it goes ultra old-lady soap on me. :( I thought the drydown would calm it and bring forth some of that coveted vanilla and sandalwood... but nope, just got worse, and I had to wash it off. What is that powdery sweet floral? I have no clue but it is pure soap or old-timey cologne on me. Fresh, flowers, powder, and smoke, in all the wrong ways.

I love this one so much. It's so mellow and soft and soothing. It just feels comforting. Usually lavender is my comfort note but this blend really is amazing. It's a light, creamy, milky sandalwood with the palest hint of sweetness. Maybe there's some sort of pale musk in there in the dry down but it stays very creamy throughout the wear time. It has the feeling of a skin scent because it sits so close and just melts into my skin, but it's slightly stronger than that. I can smell it wafting around me. Nothing overpowering, but enough to easily detect it. I would wear sandalwood everyday, it's one of my favorite scents ever, so this one moved right on up to the top of my rotation once I discovered it. So beautiful.

In the imp: hmm. Something powdery?

Wet: Oh dear, is that sandalwood? It's very bright and a touch creamy whatever it is.

Dry: Pretty much stays the same from putting it on to fading away. This'd be a great one for sandalwood fans, but I'm definitely not one of them.

I discovered this sample in my latest order, and oh my I'm in love! This is an instant bottle order for me.

It's soft vanilla, with incencesy sandalwood, maybe some frankincense, and hints of cocoa. It's sweet and incensey, and reminds me of LUSH.

It's a soft scent and clings close to the skin, but I can smell it hovering gently around me when I move. It's snuggly, soothing, but also a little sexy in a refrained way.

I love discovering GC gems like this!

Completely baffled but I think I smell aloe sandalwood and vanilla. Very floaty and soothing! Slight baby powder smell up close but not bad at all. More sweet and sandalwood than anything.

I second all this! I recently came across a 4-year-aged imp in my BPAL stash and decided to give it a try. It has a surprising vanilla quality, but slightly 'water-y' (not ozone or aquatic, just silky). It's really nice and calming. I can see wearing this just about anywhere.

I received this as a frimp from the lab, and oooh, I think I'm in love! This is GORGEOUS. I read through the reviews for this and balked a bit at trying this. I didn't like the sandalwood & incense descriptions, but that's not what I get from this at all. It's a golden scent; bright, soft and mildly sweet. It makes me think of days spent in a boat on the bayou watching the sunlight filter down through green leaves. It's a green, wet floral, but not swampy... I should know this scent, I've smelled it before... A water flower... water hawthorn maybe?? Idk, but it's a fresh, shining floral with a touch of fruitiness. The closest that I can even come to describing it is almost a vanilla syrup... But, not quite. Not quite vanilla. It's going to drive me nuts that I can't name this when I've smelled it before. This scent brings back so many happy memories of lazy summer mornings spent basking in the sun on the water's edge. This definitely merits a full bottle.

Disclaimer: I am still training my nose to tease apart and identify individual notes in various contexts. I therefore usually refrain from reviewing scents, especially when someone has expressed my impressions better than I could (which is almost always, at this point). Yet here my impression was so dramatically different from everything else in this thread - save for a corndog reference? - that I thought I should post.

I received this as a freebie imp (unknown age) in a trade from a forum member and, upon reading reviews, saved it to try after a long day of work.

In the imp: Smoky, with a slightly moldy undertone. Feels familiar somehow.

Wet: WAIT I KNOW THIS. This is the opening salvo of Tlazolteotl (which I previously assumed to be chapapote), only here it doesn't act as backup to cocoa. No, it stands alone as an acrid plume of smoke and wet ash. It's almost too much, but strangely captivating. I don't want to wash this off, in fact I keep sniffing my wrists, but I wonder about smelling like this around other people.

Drying down: The smoke goes from acrid to simply bitter and grows almost sweet, gentle, and incense-like at last. I'm not sure if these are other notes rising to the top; if so, they are so well blended it that they seem to flow from the same bitter smoke and are reminiscent of it.

(Does this sound like a review for Djinn, or perhaps Smokestack? I certainly does not sound like resin, vanilla, and sandalwood blend with a hint of some unknown floral.)

While I prefer Tlazolteotl for its complexity, I also like this quite a bit. Analogous to a jolielaide woman (it's a quantifiable thing), I love it while also acknowledging someone else might find it foul, which might make me appreciate it even more.

Surely I am not smelling the same Tushnamatay as everyone else in the last 7 pages of posts...

Edited by methodmaven