Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
GypsyRoseRed

Midnight on the Midway (2006)

Lightning splits the sky, illuminating the skeletal skyline of the carnival rides: sugared incense and night-blooming flowers.

Oh my, this is fresh and clean and also heady and incensey! I adore this one! Smells like fresh nightime air, very sweet light incense wafting on the breeze, and some night blooming flowers nearby. The incense prevents this one from becoming excessively soapy. This is my new fav daytime/mellow night/Sunday/hot summer night scent. I would also wear this on a nice evening walk, especially with the boy. This one is very pretty, soft, a bit mysterious, and overall very magnetic! Just what I wanted from Midnight one the Midway! Lovely! Big bottle please!!!!

:P

Bottle: Flowers

Wet: Sugared flowers

Drydown: I'm not really big on florals, but I like this one because it's so sweet. I might get around to buying a big bottle before CD leaves.

3.5 outta 5

Okay, Midnight on the Midway.

In the bottle, it smells like...perfume. I honestly can't pick any individual notes out.

On my skin: Whoo...SOAP. Soapy soapity soap soap. It's the soapiest smelling oil I've ever smelled. In the bottle it isn't so bad, but once it hits my skin...overpowering. It's definitely a *nice* soap, but I don't want to smell like this. We'll see how it mellows.

A few minutes in, and it's still aaaaaaaallll soap. I was really, really hoping to like this one, as I love incensey blends, and I'm also quite fond of jasmine and honeysuckle. And I'm crazy about food-y scents, so I was sure this would be a winner.

And then! I put more on on my wrist instead of the back of my hand, and*sniff*... I think *huff*...maybe, just maybe *inhale*...it's going to work. I definitely smell clean, and while the soap is still going strong, I can't keep my nose off this one. There is something about it that's making me crazy in a good way, and there's something just hovering in the background that I wish would come forward. I think it's the cotton candyish smell, but I can't be sure.

At the very least I'm hanging onto it until after I have this baby and see how it works then. Pregnancy skin can make even the best oils seem totally out of whack.

Wow. This is right on sugared incense and night blooming flowers? You got. The incense is sweet and so are the florals. My husband says its a little soapy, but I am impressed on how dead on this is.

And the throw? EXTRA strong. I put this on last night at about 8ish and now it's close to 8ish and it's still going strong.

This isn't the kind of scent I'm usually attracted to, but I am blown away by how accurate this is to the description. Definitely an olfactory experience.

This is so pretty. The incense and floral combination remind me of Cottonmouth, but not as heady. It's sweet, but not overpowering. I can really see this as a summer scent. It makes me smile :P

It started out a little soapy, but turned into a sexy floral incense. Reminds me a little of Chrysanthemum Moon, tho not at all the same. Worth at least one bottle! :P

Love. Definitely a sugary floral, but it's a floral that WORKS on me - and most florals don't. Most florals I find too soft and innocent for me, and I'm.. not a soft and innocent kind of girl, I suppose. This is balanced out with the right amount of sugar and the right floral to where it's one I'll definitely wear often, and probably will wind up hoarding.

Oooooo..... I usually steer completely of most florals, but a friend enabled me with this scent- apparently it didn't work on her as well as it worked on me!! Yay!!

Soft, sweet, almost grape-y floral. Soft and smooth smelling, which obviously sounds strange. But so great! I think it's the incense beneath that keeps it from turning into a monster flower on me! :P

in the bottle: cream, incense, grape. yum!

wet on skin: something floral mixes with a sugary smell, like lilacs and funnel cake.

dry down: the cream-incense combo make a comeback, the floral lightly coming out from behind.

in all: beautiful, sexy and unusual. something i'd wear out dancing, or on a first date (if i wasn't about to get married :P )

I definitely get a hint of grape from this, like what I got from Temple Viper.

This is a sugary sweet blend, and the incense and florals really add something special to the sweetness. They're a little more in the background than I would prefer, though...

This is just a tad too syrupy for my taste, but it is a pleasant and enjoyable perfume. I will pass my imp along, but I'm really happy I tried it! I bet it would be delicious aged.

3.9 out of 5

i bought a bottle on a whim, untested, because it sounded like a sure thing. and how. before i praise it, i must say that i'm disappointed in the rather weak lasting power of this scent, but i knew not to set my expectations too high upon first sniff as it just didn't seem a Strong Scent. this is a subdued, beautifully dark oil which reminds me a lot of the "black ____" scents of rappaccini's garden, especially one of my all-time favorites, black lily. this is a unique, exotic combination of floral and spices/incense, slightly sugary but not anything near midway proper, for example...this is akin to snake oil.

a syrupy floral...that's how i'd like to categorize it. like i said, wear length (and throw) are not incredible, but i like this enough to slather repeatedly, until my skin's second natural layer consists entirely of midnight on the midway :P

n bottle: Sugared incense indeed. That smells really...funky. I hope it smells better on, but I ave new hope after MME

Wet: ICK. Still incense.

Dry: Nope...this one is a total miss.

after reading all the reviews, i was very eager to try this, though hesitant to try a full bottle. luckily, i was able to get an imp in a lot on ebay.

this smells even BETTER than i expected it to! it's rocketed up to the top of my list of big bottles to purchase, and i'll probably actually get two or three before it's goes away.

in the bottle and on my skin it smells much the same...i've had it on about an hour and it hasn't morphed at all. what i get is a very 'perfume'-y scent, but one that veers from the mundane with it's very distinctive 'incense' note- similar to nag champa (my FAVORITE), though not identical.

flowers and incense...i can't pick out any individual notes because it's blended so well, but i can imagine this is what it would smell like to be burning a lot of nag & green champa in a riotously blooming garden of night flowers. not really my idea of a midway at all, unless you are standing right outside the hoochie-coochie dancers tent :-D

it is a strong scent, which is fine with me as lighter scents get eaten by my skin really fast. i'll have to comment on the lasting power later, but it is such a lovely fragrance that i don't mind if i have to re-apply and slather, slather, slather.

on a scale of 1-5, this is a definate *10*!

In the imp, I get sugar and flowers.

On my skin, the incense is so light and nice, thanks to the sugar, with just a hint of flowers.

When it dries, it's a really lovely mix of incense and flowers - usually I'm not a big fan if incense, but this would be very wearable for me.

On me this is sugary incense (nag champa?) and dusty florals with a little bit of green. Strangely, I can smell the jasmine but don't hate it, which may be a first. It's like a light, out in a sunny field kind of jasmine. This reminds me a whole lot of a lighter, more innocent Mama Ji, and I like her very much. I don't know if I'll wear it a lot, but I do like it. It's light and warm and nice, very appropriate for a summery night at a carnival.

This is an imp from the wonderful ifinena.

Unfortunately, this is too strong for me. It also turns very soapy. When most people say in their reviews that an oil turned soapy, I don't get that feeling, but for this one yes.

First Impression: A bright, soft floral.

Dries down to: A sugary glaze settles over the flowers.

Additional Comments: Midway didn't work well on my skin so I was anxious to try this. Anything sweet usually amps terribly on me but in this blend it's held in check, probably by the incense. This is a lovely, flirtacious scent and definitely a keeper.

Lasted: Several hours.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5.

In the imp it smells like very sweet flowers, but once it hits my skin it's sugary grape. I don't want to smell like a sugary grape. I put some on the shirt I'm wearing and I'm still getting a bit of grape, though it's not nearly as strong.

Smells COMPLETELY different in the imp to on me. In the imp it's all sweet florals. On me, though -

There’s a salty, electric note to this – ozoney and a bit watery, or like salty skin, somehow. There’s also a sweetness, and a very faint breath of something floral.

This is an intriguing scent.

Hmmm.. it's odd, because straight on my skin it's like very nice soap plus incense. Perhaps the particular florals in this one are the type that turn automatically to soap on me, which happens only too often with my skin chemistry. It's very clean and gentle and there is an element of sugar in there, but the soap is much too prevalent.

On me this smells just like the description, sugary incense and flowers. It seems like there might be a touch of ozone in there as well... it has that electric/cold smell to it. At first it seems sort of nondescript to me, but as it settles on my skin I'm really starting to like it a LOT.

That sugary smell is what does it. This will be a bottle purchase.

Expectations: I'm not sure. Florals don't usually work very well on me, but it really depends on the floral. I'm hoping that this might give me an idea of whether Hope & Faith could work.

In vial: Just as the description says: sugar, incense, flowers. The flowers themselves are sweet too. Not too bad, but we'll see what happens when it interacts with my skin.

On skin, wet: Slightly musky bubblegum being chewed in a garden. It's too floral for me at this point, but I think it might improve as it dries.

On skin, dry: Ooh, yes. The floral is calming down a bit and blending nicely with the incense. It's still too floral if I smell it up close, but the small amount of throw is quite nice.

After time: After 30 minutes this has turned into a gorgeous sweet floral incense. I think this is the first time a floral other than rose has turned out really nice on me.

Conclusion: Yay for finding something girly that doesn't smell like crap when I wear it! I don't know that this will become a favorite, but I definitely will keep it around for occasional use. Also, definitely want to try Hope & Faith now, since their base flowers are ones that do normally smell okay on my skin.

In the vial: A lovely sweet floral. Not cloying at all.

On: Same as in the vial. Goes a little powdery after a bit, but it's a sweet scent. Not overpowering. No throw at all. It would be good for summer.

Verdict: I'm not so sure about this one. I'll have to try it again and maybe in a locket before coming to a final conclusion.

Of almost everything I've tried, I think I was most eager to try this. I was hoping for ALL sugared incense, and honestly, that's exactly what I got.

In the bottle, its incense and soft flowers, very sweet and rather gentle. Once on my skin, however, it's like a candied version of Nag Champa, no floral detectable. For about two hours, this had impeccable throw--it's all I could smell in the car (and my mother's car typically smells like horse), and all I could smell at work.

For about five minutes during the dry-down, however, there was a strange, salty scent thrown in there...it wasn't as pronounced as the notes listed and I could only smell it if I was too close to my wrists (writing, filing, etc.) and it went away quickly enough.

All in all, I'm very glad I tried this because it's exactly what I was hoping. Unfortunately, now I have to horde it. :/

Lovely scent. Dark, sexy, purpley, sweet incense and flowers. Not too heavy on the incense and I don't get anything soapy in the bottle or on my skin. My favorite of all the sugary scents so far and I like this a lot better than Faith, which surprised me. I'll definitely need a big bottle.