Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shelldoo

Chaos Theory III: Strange Attractors

Each bottle of Chaos Theory is truly unique, a fragrant fractal, and exercise in the joy of chance and uncertainty! Each is a one-of-a-kind, utterly random combination of scents, the composition of which is based on whim, mood and gut instinct.

I have MCCLXXXII (1282). The floral scent nearly knocked me over, it was so strong in the bottle. I'm not especially good at picking out florals but I gave it a shot. This stuff has lasting power! Or so I suspect anyway. I'm not fond of florals anyway so after 30 minutes or so, I scrubbed it all off. I did, however, send an imp of it to a friend with a much more informed nose than mine. She assures me that the floral is definitely jasmine. And that this is a dead ringer for Serge Lutens A La Nuit.

Not impressed. Off to the swaps!

I got my MCCXXV (1225) off ebay, no description in the listing what it smelled like, going for the completely random luck here. In the bottle it smells like really dark chocolate, with some toffee thrown in, and maybe even a bit of cherry? On my skin the toffee becomes enslaved by the chocolate, which is the very deep, dark side of chocolate, so dark it wears a black cloak and carries a sickle. You can still smell it, but the chocolate in in control, and is corrupting the toffee over to its ways. There's a hint of something else in there that provides a bit of mustiness, kinda like Black Annis but not nearly so strong, which keeps it from becoming foody. Also a little incense in there, maybe some tea leaves or heavily roasted coffee beans. The little bit of remaining cherry is simply what remains on the chocolate's breath since breakfast, because I can't see this chocolate brushing it's teeth. This is not chocolate you eat and enjoy. This is chocolate you serve, and bow down to when it passes by, lest it take off your head. Sith chocolate.

Looking back at the reviews, I have no idea how the last reviewer, supremegoddessofall, got *cake* out of this, of all things. Maybe the chocolate had a life altering experience in the post, like Anakin Skywalker? It doesn't have much throw so, having a bottle, I slathered more on, and when I did that I got some sort of nut in there, too. It's growing on me.

Edited by Shollin

Oh my. I got CMXXIV off ebay and talk about luck! In the bottle it's sexy, super-dark chocolate with red wine and a hint of cherry- very like Vice with wine instead of neroli. :D And in case that wasn't heavenly enough, as it dries on my arm, there's a very subtle touch of a delicate flower coming out, and some creaminess, but it still keeps those original notes. I can't tell what the flower is- maybe violet? It is - dare I say it?- possibly even better than MB Underpants. I think this would satisfy both foodies and anti-foodies. :P

XVIII (18): This appears to be an almost entirely clear, thin oil.

In bottle: Absolutely classic department-store perfume; I can practically smell the alcohol and fixatives! Not at all my thing so far, but it's just amusing smelling this out of a BPAL vial.

On me: Ok, now it's becoming interesting. There's a strong hint of what might be anise, and a soft wood of some kind, maybe a rosewood or dry sandalwood. It's warm and dry and subtle, and disappears quite quickly. There's perhaps a *very* faint musk. It's a very classic unisex scent.

It's not my thing enough to keep it, but it was a happy experience.

Last reviewed by edenssixthday.

_____

CCCVII (307): This is pale yellow, and seems a bit thicker than 18. So, there's this Tom Smith song called 307 Ale...if this turns out to be alcoholic I will be deeply, geekily amused.

In bottle: There might be some slightly alcoholic note in here, actually :-) It's a light fruity scent, kind of bubbly, not too sweet. I can't really place what it is, but it might be some kind of light apricot.

On me: Hmm...that might be sweet florals, rather than actual fruits. Apple blossom? Maybe a hint of lotus? Something that's reminiscent of the champagne note in Bon Vivant. It's sort of what I thought Muse would smell like. Still light bubbly tart-sweetness with no notes jumping out and grabbing me. I think this is more of a summer scent, but very nice.

I might keep the imp unless someone else really wants it. Very enjoyable!

Previously reviewed by gangstaknitta.

______

DCCCIV (804): Pale yellow oil, quite thin.

In bottle: kind of indistinct citrus and floral. Possibly in the same vein as Moscow or similar.

On me: What is that flower? It's sort of a sweet musky flower -- I don't think there's any actual musk in here, though. There's a hint of tangerine or orange, and maybe just a smidge of light vanilla coming out.

This is kind of in that fruit-floral-haze category that I enjoy but never find really distinctive. It's a very nice, well-balanced member of that category, though. I'll stick to the ones I like in the GC and give this to someone who'll appreciate it.

Better late than never! I finally got around to going through my eight CTIII purchases.

Disclaimer: First of all, let me say that I am no authority and have little experience when it comes to detecting scents or identifying notes. Descriptions are to the best of my sniffing ability. If anyone has the same or similar CTIII issue numbers with a different take, or would like to share your findings and experience with me, please feel free to send me a PM, but do not reply here. Thanks and on we go!

CCLI (251:)

In bottle: fresh, green & white;

Wet on skin: lovely, fresh, summery green floral vines;

Dry: same as wet, but with a hint of spice and bit of musk now supporting it Moves from a lifting summer day to a sultry night-blooms scent. Lovely.

DXXXVII (537:)

In bottle: Buttery cream cake with a hint of booze;

Wet on Skin: a dab of chocolate appears to the mix;

Dry: This is a decadent, drizzled dessert from a five star restaurant. Foody and dangerous.

MI (1001:)

In bottle: fresh, green, and fruity;

Wet on Skin: same as in bottle, but with lovely sweetness;

Dry: same as wet, but becomes tempered by something delectably sultry. A mysterious morphing here.

MII (1002:)

In bottle: deep, green;

Wet on Skin: melon with hint of dark berry, served in a fragrant wood bowl;

Dry: Woodberry, but way better! Awesome!!!!

MIV (1004:)

In bottle: sparkling citrus, almost like champagne and fruit;

Wet on Skin: Ohhh this instantly softened and something here is reminding me of

buttercups and orris, two of my favorite things in Blue Moon;

Dry: Its gone blue. OMG, I LOVE this and plan hoard it

MXXXV (1035:)

In bottle: No clue, Boo-Boo. I can’t put my finger (or nose, as the case may be) on this one;

Wet on Skin: Red. Not fruity red, though. More like a riot of red flowers;

Dry: Red flowers have calmed down a tad, and are now supported by a lovely soft resin.

MCLV (1155:)

In bottle: Foody and woody;

Wet on Skin: Cocoa, vanilla, with maybe some chestnuts;

Dry: This is very like an Ofrenda, having all the elements to invite, feed, and appease the Spirits.

MCXCI (1191:)

In bottle: light, green, fresh, and clean;

Wet on Skin: same only more, laced with a bit of tea and crisp white linen;

Dry: Absolutely gorgeous blend which is staying in my stash for a long time.

both of these are decants i got, one from swapping, one as a frimp.

MCCXXXVII: i cant really pick out many specific notes in this, but it's a vanilla-incense-floral-wood scent to my nose. there is an underlying warm scent that burns my nostrils a bit, but i just can't place it, but it could be some sort of sandalwood, which my skin amps sometimes. i think perhaps this has rose or some sort of powdery floral, incense and sandalwood. maybe some tonka or vanilla too.

CXXXV: this one smells very light and pale green and watery but with a little sharp citrus. maybe green tea, grapefruit (or yuzu?) and some light watery floral? reminds me of baohban sith a bit, if i am remembering correctly. except i think it's more subtle and not as citrussy.

Previously reviewed by shadith.

DCXCI (691)

First sniff: CAKE. My Chaos Theory smells like cake! Dense yellow cake with mint frosting. And vanilla ice cream. This is the CT3 I was meant to have. :P Hooray for single-bottle karma!

Wearing: The mint is predominant, but there’s a whole lot of vanilla goodness going on behind it. It’s not super-buttery or super-sweet, but there’s definitely something cakey in here, which gets more honeyish as it dries. This is fan-bloody-tastic.

DCXXXII

Wet: Well, before I even open the imp it smells strongly like the sort of commercial perfume that makes me ill, and I'm wary to even try it. But I'm close to a sink to wash it off, and I like an adventure. Bizarrely, the moment I open the imp, it smells just like a cough drop. Not an auspicious start, to say the least.

First on: Hmmm. I can't identify any notes off-hand. Something is definitely floral, but it's not a mix I like. The floral part is very sharp, but it's as if it's underneath a layer of dust.

Dry: It's dry now, and it's not the revolting floral stuff I hate, but it's definitely not for me. Eesh. Swap pile asap.

Previously reviewed by Sofia Blackthorne

Edited by Melissa Della

I swapped a bottle of Bitter Moon for a bottle of Chaos Theory III - MCCLVI, just felt like taking a chance, and boy am I glad!

My husband is a foodie, he especially loves fruity scents on me. And although I am not much of a foodie myself, I wear them for him, just to see that look in his eye, ya know? As an example, he loves Fire Pig on me, and I'm just kind of "meh" about it.

So upon opening this bottle, I immediately smelled the same sort of citrusy blend that Fire Pig strikes me as. BUT, there is an underlying spice, and maybe even musk as well. And both spice and musk appeal to me =)

How's that for luck? Fruit & spice/musk, and we both love it! :P

Oh gosh. My first review in AGES. :P After almost three years, I'm actually writing my second review!!! LOL!

Here goes:

I received CT III: CCCXC in a swap in exchange for CT III: II (which, to my nose was grass and chocolate). The other reviewers said it was similar to Dial soap. I totally get that. At first.

I'd describe CCCXC as a warm, but fresh herbal musk. I believe there's a touch of citrus or tea but mainly something herbal or light floral - and possibly grass.

Clean, sweet, soft, unisex.

So basically, yeah: Dial soap.

But then... after about 10 minutes a weak anise note comes out. It kind of sings above the herbal sweetness and makes it so much more unique than it starts. But it's so faint sometimes I think I'm imagining it.

On me, this blend just isn't bold enough. And while I love the anisey/spicey note, my skin just barely registers it. On someone else - someone whose skin works with anise and spice - I bet this would be really lovely.

Last reviewed by Reedsong.

Edited by Spacekitty

Drive-by reviews of the scents from CT III sniffing circle, package #2:

DCLXXVI (676) - Wet: almond. :P On the dry-down, it got better, more like apple or some other soft fruit.

MCCCXXXVIII (1338) - Wet: some kind of industrial cleaning fluid, which probably means a breed of floral (night-blooming florals turn to cleaning fluid on me). Pretty much stayed the same through the drydown.

MXCIV (1094) - Wet: some kind of kitchen herb, it smells very familiar but I do not know what it's like. Dried down slightly creamy.

CDVII (407) - Wet: rancid apples. This reminds me of High John but sort of a rotten overlay. Dried down considerably better, but still not me. (Previously reviewed by zenvodunista.)

MXIV (1014) - Wet: almond again. Dried down into nothingness.

CXCV (195) - Wet: very, very faint coconut or vanilla. I like it, but I can barely smell it! Reminds me of a cross between Obatala and Snow White. This would be awesome if it were only stronger. (Previously reviewed by mandragora.)

DCCCXXVI (826) - Wet: soap, which means floral, probably rose, or sandalwood. Stayed the same as it dried.

woot! i arrived home to find a total surprise in my mail.....i had been gifted with a bottle of CTIII~XX. :D

in the bottle, it is sweet and boozy smelling. i slathered some on and mmmm, honey

pure, sweet honey. as it dries down i keep huffing my arm and i get smoke, creamy vanilla, and incense. very snake-oilish. but better. if you rubbed snake oil and incense on your arm and then let the smoke from a campfire settle over the whole lot. perfection!

:P

Previously reviewed by finecurvedhips.

CT3: MCXXXII

In bottle: Grape Nyquil. Seriously.

On me: Grape putridity. Ugh. Medicinal, nasty.

CT3: MCLXXII

In bottle: Fairly sharp florals, but pleasant.

On me: Florals, but nothing particularly distinctive. Something a bit herbal, too. Kind of soapy.

CT3: MCLXVII

In bottle: White florals.

On me: Soft white florals, linens, cotton, and perhaps a bit or herbals? Has a bit of a Playdoh undertone.

CT3: MCXLVII

In bottle: Sharply foody and a bit fruity.

On me: Very strange. Citrus-y, but not orange. Some other fruits, too - guava, mango? Not really me.

CT3: MCXLV

In bottle: Sharply herbal and smells a bit like cheese.

On me: Jasmine - not a good floral for me at all. Some lavender, too. Not sure, it's not bad but I'll have to try it again.

Chaos Theory: Strange Attractors: DCCXXII-(722)

I have always ordered the Chaos Theory fragrances for my sis..and we have always been lucky enough to be rewarded with fragrances that really suit her. She..being the fruity/rosy/foody fragrance wearer..she hasn’t been disappointed.

I figured..I might as well try my luck…perhaps I will be awarded with something individual and fabulous???

If at first you fail…try…try again.

My odds weren’t good.

Initial sniff from bottle: Something slightly herbal…slightly fruity maybe??? The herbal isn’t completely overt actually….but it almost..ALMOST smells a bit medicinal??? Argh..this is tough for me. For some odd reason…this sort of reminds me of what Blood Moon and Tintagel’s love child would be..if that makes any sense???

Applied wet on skin: A bit faint…again..a touch fruity…maybe a touch of amber..maybe…a whiff of something faintly metallic??? There could be vetiver..but usually that makes me queasy immediately..and well..I am not having that reaction.

This is warming up a bit on my skin..and I still can’t get that picture out of my mind..love child of Blood Moon and Tintagel..best way that I can put it.

Couple of minutes on skin: So I have Mars on one wrist and Strange Attactors on the other. Can I tell you that both of them smell PRETTY similar at this point??? This particular Chaos Theory blend shares qualities of Blood Moon, Mars and Tintagel..there is the hot metallic wisp…the dry spicy/vetiver combo..and in the opening a small shot of something fruity..which now has disappeared and left me with just that spicy hot mélange that just makes me feel a bit…queasy??? DARN. :P

Drying on skin: It’s just a very similar drydown to Mars..

Lasting power is formidable 7+ hours with throw moderate

Bottom Line: Not something I can wear easily but fans of hot/spicy/dry scents rejoice..this is right up your alley. Telling you..it’s as if Blood Moon, Tintagel, and Mars had a three way..this is their abomination..hehehehehehehehehehe. :D

my first reviews from the CTIII decant circle, package 2:

CXCV (195)

This is a hard scent to nail down. Initially I thought violets, but now I’m not sure. It’s very faint, seems to have some musk. This is an addictive scent and I’m totally enjoying sniffing my arm. It has some decent lasting power and after 1.5 hrs or so it’s going strong. This scent is so familiar and the closest I can think is musk and violet. I have a CT that’s similar (i.e., all violet), and I think this has similarities to Numb and Yog-Sothoth.

Last reviewed by roesmoker.

MXIV (1014)

In the imp, this smells of almonds and sweetness. Once applied, there’s almond but also something vaguely aquatic. This reminds me of BPALs murky deep scents but with a dash of almond thrown in. The aquatic is cologne-like and I know immediately that this scent is not for me. It’s similar to the aquatics in Bed of Nails or House of Mirrors (how I interpreted the glass note). Interesting to try but not something that I’d ever wear.

Previously reviewed by blood*rose*flowers.

DCCCXCIV (894)

In the imp, this smelled strongly of herbs. On the skin, the herbal note is there. It could be lavender, eucalyptus, with a swig of something else. Maybe a hint of methol. There’s a bitterness here that’s interesting to smell and I think that if this was used in massage oil it would physically cool the skin. After it’s been on a while, there’s a citrus element here in addition to the herbs, maybe lime. It compliments the other scents but does not overpower them.

Last reviewed by slave1.

still working on the CTIII package 2. one more review to add right now.

Chaos Theory III CDVII (407)

In the imp, fruity! On the skin, sweet, tropical fruits. Maybe a touch of pineapple. This is a very juicy-smelling scent, to the level of I can imagine biting in and having juices running down my chin.

After it dries, there’s still a foody aspect here, but now it’s kinda spicy. I think there could be a touch of clove here. Now the fruit is just about completely gone and what’s left is warm and lightly spiced. It’s faint (I didn’t put that much on), but this is not the strongest of all BPALs; I think in order to get a good throw going you’d really have to slather. Ok, maybe the fruit's not gone completely, but this has turned into a spicy, dark, sexy scent accented by dark fruits. Very nice!

Last reviewed by roesmoker.

ok, the last of package 2, CTIII circular swap.

Chaos Theory III DCCXXVI (826)

Light musk, violet, maybe a touch of menthol. It is a bit like soap. This is a light scent, and doesn’t last long.

Chaos Theory III MCCCXXXVIII (1338)

This smells of dark musk, and something that I’m having a real hard time nailing down. Maybe orchid, although I’m finding that I like orchid, so maybe not that. There’s some similarity to Dark Delicacies and Mme Moriaty but overall these scents are VERY different from this Chaos Theory. I’m thinking there’s a touch (just a touch) of the patchouli in Mme Moriaty, and a touch of the orchid that’s in Dark Delicacies. This CT does not have a sweet smell at all. If the smell of this oil had a color, it would be a mid-range gray. There’s a hint of a chemical smell. Interesting, but not a scent I would ever reach for.

Previously reviewed by roesmoker.

Chaos Theory III MXCIV (1094)

In the imp this smells of florals and neroli in particular. Once applied this smells like a piece of fruity hard candy. The neroli is still there but there’s a tropical fruity smell too. After it’s dried, the tropical fruit smell fades and it’s flowers again. There’s a slight bitterness there that I always attribute to orange blossom. It’s like it’s sweetened sugared neroli. I’m loving everything sugared so I think this is just a beautiful blend.

There could be a touch of blood orange there too, as it’s reminding me of Kunstkammer, which was heavy on the blood orange.

Chaos Theory III DCCCLXXXII (882)

In the imp this smells of herbs, with some lime and some pine or juniper. Wow, this is STRONG! It’s not menthol but it’s a very clearing scent, almost to the point of making my eyes water.

Hmmm, this is odd. It smells like there could be bit of honey in here too.

After it’s been on a few minutes, it has calmed down considerably. But yup, there’s definitely honey in here, I’m getting that indole scent here. **honey and I typically don’t get along**

There’s also something herbal, the citrus is gone. It’s a strong combination. It’s another not-sweet scent, and despite the honey, it smells very dry.

This has been one crazy-ass CT to try and I’m glad I got the chance, even if it’s not a scent for me.

Last reviewed by slave1.

Chaos Theory III DCLXXVI (676)

In the imp and on the skin, this is a spicy, musky scent. I think it has dragon’s blood due to both the color and faint dragon’s blood aroma. In scent, it reminds me of oils that are much redder in the vial such as Fiery Wall of Protection or some of the Voodoo oils, while this one is just a nice orange, peachy type color. So in addition to the dragon’s blood, there’s a mid-range musk and maybe a hint of pepper. I like dragon’s blood quite a bit and I think this blend is quite lovely. It ends with an impression of warmth, spice, resins, and being sultry. Very nice.

Chaos Theory #3 - XMV (#1015)

In the vial: pine needles, fir trees, woods, resin.

On the skin: Pretty much the same. A very "green" scent, manly. A whiff of something akin to aftershave in there, too. A bit of salt air. Kinda reminds me of the coast of the Pacific NW.

Chaos Theory III - MCXXXVII

In the bottle, this has a light, slightly resiny scent. Once on though, it becomes Cinnamon Cakes with Cream - heavy on the cinnamon. Reminds me quite a bit of a cinnamon scented Monster Bait, in fact. The cinnamon dies down pretty quickly, which is unusual, as cinnamon tends to overpower any blend on me. I'm left with a light, creamy cake scent, with just a hint of cinnamon. Still reminds me of the Monster Baits, and unfortunately, like the Monster Baits, cake and cream are no goes with my skin chemistry.

CT3: MXIII – This is a gorgeous springtimey fruity-floral. The fruit notes are juicy-sweet and the florals are note remotely heady, but are subtly sweet. It’s really complex and hard to decipher, and the best I can do is guess that some of the notes it may contain are sugar, blood orange, pear, poppy, and possibly calla lily. I love this blend. I only received a drop – just enough to test, but if I can get a full imp of it, I would be very happy. It’s the perfect springtime scent.

Previously reviewed by slave1.

MCLXVI (#1166)

This one is quite a morpher! It starts off with a strong grapefruit-y note (I'm guessing it's yuzu) and then as it drys down, moves into something that smells like Intrigue (black palm and fig maybe?). At any rate, it's one of the more interesting Chaos Theories that have crossed my path. I like it, but don't love it, so off to swaps it goes.

DCXCIX

I was kindly frimped with a decant of DCXCIX. This is only the third chaos theory I've tried, but wow, what a strange one. When I put it on, it was at first a dead ringer for storebought fruit cake. No, really. Nuts, spices, candied cherries, plastic wrapper, and all. As time goes on it's becoming more citrus, the fruit-cake spiciness taking a back seat to some citrus freshness (oranges, or maybe even tangerines).

I swear they could have relabeled this blend and sold it as a Yule blend. Christmas Snacks--a big slice of fruitcake and a stocking full of oranges! :P

Wow, I've had this for about a year and haven't reviewed it yet!

I have MLI (1051). From the bottle, it's an unidentifiable floral, reminds me a bit of Ostara. I think lily is most likely one of the floral notes, if there is more than one. Upon application, it's fairly strong lily. But after a while...

...is that something sweet I smell, lurking beneath the lily? In the drydown, there smells like there is some cherry. Imagine it, a cherry and lily blend! I'm not a big fan of lily, but the drydown is quite nice (I loooove cherry, it was a nice surprise).

Every so often I feel the need to acquire another Chaos Theory. I've had a good number that I scored soooo well on, a few I feel indifferently towards and one I flat out couldn't stand. The good: caramel apple drizzled in butter (smells like a Creepy prototype), a lavender marshmallow vanilla scent that is slightly Spooky-esque, a cake batter scent, one that smelled dead-on like baklava, and a few others I couldn't precisely identify but loved nevertheless. So I felt the urge to get a Chaos Theory off ebay the other day, the description only being "foody, maybe". OK, that's enough to interest me.

So I got me a half bottle of DCCCXL, or 840. It smells oh-so familiar on first whiff. It doesn't take long to realize why. It is very like Matin Calin by Comptoir Sud Pacific... sweet sugared creamy milk, in other words. The exact notes in Matin Calin are sugar candy, toffee milk, sandalwood and vanilla pod. Sugary cream is how it smells to me, as does DCCCXL.

To compare to other milky BPALS, DCCCXL is a lot like the original Milk Moon but a lot more sugary, and more like half-n-half rather than heavy cream. Nobody would get sour out of this blend in any way. It isn't as much like Obatala, I'm not sure why... Obatala, though it reminds me of Milk Moon, doesn't seem similar to this blend, except in the most general way (milk scent). It does seem somewhat like the later drydown of Milk Moon '07, simply because by that time the milk/cream base has emerged and killed off the grapeyness, and it smells a lot like the original by then. But again, DCCCXL is tempered by more sugar, and something I would call caramel if it wasn't a BPAL blend (Beth's actual caramel note is much much more potent than what I'm thinking is caramelly about this.)

Do I even have to say I'm in love, and will treasure this half bottle like it's gold? 5 out of 5, and Chaos Theory rocks.

Edited to add: The other blend I tried side by side with this is Milk by Ava-Luxe.com. Very, very similar too. Their Milk blend is sugary, creamy and light, and also extremely similar to my CT3. The difference is that the Ava-Luxe perfume fades much faster than the CT3, and is less complex. I also found that same thing when comparing side by side with the Matin Calin... extremely similar, but the CSP is a fainter fragrance with noticeably less complexity. But, when I run out of DCCCXL, they'll help me through the pain!

Edited by LittleGreyKitten