Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shelldoo

Chaos Theory III: Strange Attractors

Each bottle of Chaos Theory is truly unique, a fragrant fractal, and exercise in the joy of chance and uncertainty! Each is a one-of-a-kind, utterly random combination of scents, the composition of which is based on whim, mood and gut instinct.

CT3: CCXLI - There are partial vials of this stuff going around among a group of us and it has been lovingly renamed "Vomit Bukket." This is truly the most revolting, vile, disgusting, putrid scent I've ever encountered. Once last summer, my dog found some decaying animal innards and rolled in them. That is the only thing I've ever encountered that was more disgusting than this Chaos Theory scent.

I have only found one other review of this stuff, which is here. The unfortunate original recipient of this bottle is pretty accurate in her description of this. The vitamin/mineral association didn't occur to me until after I read her review, but I do see where she gets that from. The puke association is even more accurate. She's right that this is musky without being typically musky. I don't think there's civet in it, but I could be wrong. I have no idea what else is in this. It's just grody beyond belief. I actually think it's kind of a work of art to make something this spectacularly malodorous. I don't think most of us could accomplish something this grotesque if we tried. I really wish that all BPAL aficionados could smell Vomit Bukket because it's most definitely a rare piece of work, the most vomitlicious BPAL ever, and a concoction that simply has to be admired for its extremely foul offensiveness. Oh, and yes, I did work up the courage to try it on my skin, and I'm kind of surprised I survived the experience; however, I do not wish to lead by example, and if you come across any of this, I take no responsibility for what might happen when you apply it to your skin. Use at your own risk.

edited mostly to fix spelling

edited again because I found another review for it here

Last reviewed by Tania. Edited by edenssixthday

CCXVI. A swap from ayelienne; no previous reviews.

First sniff: There’s something really sharp in here. The underscent smells like white grapes, and it’s quite nice, but there’s a sharpness that goes owie right up my nose. It makes me think of the SN Mimosa that hated me so very much when I tried it on.

Wearing: Gah! Whatever the sharpness is, it’s very prominent, and the pretty fruity underneath part doesn’t save it. Dang.

CCCXVI (316)

It has no number on it, but going by the previous review, I can only assume.

It's a foody. Smells a bit like Sugar Skull, but I'm also convinced there's a fancy coffee scent in there somewhere. It's all I got from huffing my arm. :P Interesting, but I don't think it's me.

Previously reviewed by gangstaknitta.

XVIII (18)

In the decant, it has this funky chemical smell to it, making me hesitate about putting it on. I get a definite woodsy feel from it after applying to my skin. I think there's a hint of smoke, or maybe a spice. Either way, it's not pleasant on me. But that's the joy of CT's! :D

Last reviewed by fiddledragon.

Edited by Shollin

DLIII

I had completely forgotten I had this bottle...I'd never worn it and it got packed away.

This is a VERY fruity blend, and in fact all I smell is fruit, with a soapy background note. In a way it reminds me very much of this mulberry potpurri my mother used to have in the house. I can't single out a particular fruit but it smells very "red" to my nose, very red and moist and juicy, like a spicy maraschino cherry.

When dry, the soapy smell is more apparent - it ended up smelling like cheap fabric softener on me. It's not unpleasant but I will most likely swap it.

Chaos Theory III: CCLVIII

Reviewed here by Scylla

I got this off ebay and had no idea what would come as my excellent seller wanted to keep things mysterious.

Wet: intriguing, possibly the ozone Scylla smelled, a little hint of ripe/overripe plums.

Dry: Oh--my--Goddess! When this hits my skin, the wet fruit falls down a deep, dusty passage coming out utterly transformed into something I wish I could order again. There are some powdery floral tones, a hint of tuberose perhaps. There is also something green that I normally would have been turned off of, but here works well.

I truly lucked out. Am I understanding the Chaos Theory blends correctly, there was only one of these created? If so, and this blend is over a year old, it holds up extremely well. This bodes nicely for the rest of my expanding addiction, I mean, collection.

Chaos Theory III: MXCIII (1093)

This one has a definite medicinal/herby scent to it. Upon applying, it BURNS like an SOB. There's no cinnamon that I could tell, so there must be something I haven't tried up until this point that can also cause my skin to burn. Upon application, my skin really amped this CT to the point where I was beginning to get a headache from it.

Last reviewed by cranberry.

CMXXXIV

In the bottle:

Mint. Citrus. Tea? Refreshing.

Wet on skin:

Minty citrus tea still. Maybe a little woody in the background.

Dry on skin:

Citrus is coming out to play. Orange or grapefruit? A little lemony. Faint backdrop of a sweet mint. Yummy. Summery. Refreshing. A little bit of a woody, like cedar or sandalwood, background.

Very nice.

I received two of these scents from different transactions; both of them were marked by the seller as light florals.

Chaos Theory III: DCLXIII (662)

Light, pale floral with a bit of lemonyness. I don't know if it's lemongrass or an actual citrus fruit. Summery. There's a dryer-sheet sort of air to it - must be the citrus and floral combination. Goes a little powdery - there might be a light musk present or something like violet. It's not cloying like violets are, though, so I'm not sure. I wish I could pick out what flowers are in this, but there don't seem to be any of my favorites (gardenia, orchid) *or* enemies (jasmine, lotus, rose) present. Overall, it's not bad for a floral, but it's not really me. It's a very light, subtle, inoffensive sort of scent.

One previous review by Obesa_Cantavit here.

Chaos Theory III: DXIX (519)

This was a decant that came with a set I purchased. This is a light, very sweet floral. It's sugary, and reminds me of something. It becomes more tropical and watery as I wear it. There might be a fruit - mango or something. I think what it reminds me of is a body spray named Tropical Mist or Hawaiian Ginger that my mother had. It turns to plastic! Ugh!

One previous review by karen here.

Edited by suileach

DCXCVII

in the vial fruity cherry almond, sharp and tart

wet on skin almond almond almond, but the tartness is fleeing and there's a warmth bubbling up

dry on skin dry, warm, incense-y, but fruity, too. there's a lingering marzipan quality that's part almond, part vanilla and a headiness that seems almost musky in nature. this is a gorgeous, gorgeous incarnation. oddly, it's not something i'd actually want to wear. might keep the imp, though, rather than frimping it on. the morphing, it intrigues me.

Last reviewed by cranberry.

CMXLII (942)

Tart, sweet, jammy fruitiness. Apricot, or peach, and apples, maybe. There's something else, but I can't pick it out... It smells a bit like how I remember green fruit roll-ups, or some kind of fruit snacks. It's quite pleasant. The scent hovers close to the skin, and seems to fade rather quickly. It's very lovely, and I rather like it, but I'm not sure if I'll wear it, so... even though it IS very pretty, I probably won't keep it.

Well I generally avoid giving reviews, because my nose pretty much sucks at detecting subtitles, but since these are one of a kind I feel somewhat obligated.

I have CLXXXIV and to me it smells very strongly of sandalwood, with something sweet underneath it like orris and maybe lily or some other kind of white flower. It actually reminds me of the dry down of Pumpkin Patch #4, without the pumpkin (if that's even possible to imagine).

CHAOS THEORY 3 STRANGE ATTRATORS DCXCVII 697

In the vial: fruity (is that cherry?) and a little sour.

Wet on skin: sour fruit! It reminds me of Beaver Moon (strawberry and cherry cheesecake) without the cheese! The fruit is somewhat vague and indefinable - I want to say cherry, but it's not quite that. There's an element of spice here too.

Dry on skin: it still reminds me of Beaver Moon and Bloody Mary. I think this has cherry and vanilla and something softly spicy in it, perhaps cardamom or carnation, but it's indistinct, and also rather faint. It's very nice, though!

After an hour the fruit disappears completely and is replaced by a soft, greyish, musky spice with a hint of cream! Then a waft of the fruit returns, but it remains vaguely spicy, perhaps just a little bit almondy! I've never had one morph as much as this before! Every time I sniff it's different! It's very wearable, though!

I reapplied, and this time it's warm, almondy amber, reminiscent of Bastet! Chaos indeed, but very nice!

Last reviewed by ravenfeathers.

CT III: CCCXL - 340

In the bottle: Slightly sweet, green floral.

Wet: More floral. Violets. Something fruity, citrusy or pineapple? There's a slightly warm, balmy feel to this.

Dry: The floral has gone a bit powdery, and there is definitely some jasmine in this. Maybe some amber, too. Some sexy musk has emerged.

Summary: Powdery jasmine and violets over musk and amber with a hint of tropical fruit.

Previously reviewed by graycat.

CT III: DXIX - 519

(previously reviewed first by suileach here and most recently by karen over here.)

In the bottle: Rich orangey-amber colour. Juicy fruit, herbal with a slightly bitter edge, and a little woody. Masculine, fresh.

Wet: Juicy fruit, a bit sweet and a bit tart - ahh, ripe crisp red apple with a hint of green undertone. Maybe multiple types of apples. Planty-fresh greenery, with all bitterness gone. It's like being in dew-laden apple orchard just as the apples have ripened.

Dry: Slow to dry. Amazing how this has gone from sort of a masculine herbal scent to a feminine fruity one so immediately. There is a breeziness too, a hint of ozone that's not sharp but like a gust of fresh air.

Later: It's gotten tarter, as if the sour green apple note has amped while the ripe red apple holds, and greener, fresh leaves and wet grass and a hint of a rounded woody scent, like oak.

Summary: Some light mulling spices emerge (clove, allspice), and the oak deepens making this a darker, woodier scent overall. But both green and red apples hold strongly as do the planty-fresh leaves and grass. Amazing throw, good lasting power.

This was the best apple scent EVER until the damn spices came out. :D

CT III: DCCXXV - 725

In the bottle: Very strongly green and planty; grassy.

Wet: Still green-grassy, but less overwhelming - it's a lighter scent on my skin. I detect some flowers hiding under the mounds of fresh cut grass. The green is so strong, it has a bitter edge.

Dry: Sharp-heady florals are gaining ground...white florals with a soapy tinge. I'm thinking there is both Hyacinth (which I like) and Armoise (which I don't like) in here. The grassiness fades almost completely, but an aura of green plant remains.

Summary: It reminds of both Privilege and The Gibbous Moon, in the green-white-sharpness. Pretty decent throw. I had to wash it off though, as it flared my rosacea and made my head pound.

Last reviewed by mtlaise.

CT III: DCCCLIX - 859

In the bottle: Sharp, green, fruity. Melon?

Wet: Grassy-melon, with something spicy underneath - clove, perhaps? I don't usually like clove, but this works pretty well.

Dry: The clove has taken over for the most part. This scent evokes the autumn outdoors, now.

Summary: Not a bad scent, nicely balanced, but not my cup of tea.

Previously reviewed by zenvodunista.

CT III: DCCCLXXIV - 874

In the bottle: Light fruity floral, maybe some citrus - the zesty sort, so possibly grapefruit. A bit green and planty, possibly grassy. Overall light and fresh.

Wet: More floral, very springlike. Lilac? Tulip? A hint of powder, but not unpleasantly. I'm guessing that citrus is grapefruit, which is as usual very light on me. And there is definitely some grass. This has a soapy edge, and reminds me a bit of Amsterdam. A rainy sort of scent.

Dry: Wow, this is the grassiest bpal scent ever! Could it be grass SN? No, there's still some very present springy florals. Definitely some lily, I recognize the one (or one of them) from Black Lily, and other light feminine ones. It's a wee bit soapier, but not really powdery, so that's fine. Citrus holds! Faintly, but amazingly still there.

Later: Whoa, hello musk! Very nice musk! White musk, perhaps - I'm getting a Kitsune-Tsuki feel here. It's not super strong, but it really grounds this rather ephemeral blend. Grass is holding, flowers and citrus too. This has gained a creaminess too, which makes me think maybe daffodil is one of the florals.

Summary: Very light grass, grapefruit, and florals (lily and daffodil, amongst others) with a light musk base. Little morphing other than the musk emerging over time and the citrus holds. Feminine, vernal, refreshing, aquatic. Dismal throw but good lasting power.

Yay! Finally one I love and it's a bottle! :P

Previously reviewed by Nightbird.

Edited by fairnymph

Chaos Theory III: MCIII

Swapped for this bottle and it's a challenge to review with no hints, but I smell green weeds and herbs, midway between fresh and dried, faintly medicinal and definitely uni-sex. A hint of spicy undertone, nothing sweet about it, but strengthening. I keep thinking I might let it go and then I try it again and remember how unique it is.

Previously reviewed by Jenesis.

CT III: MCCLII (1252)

It figures that my new very favorite scent is something that can never be duplicated. I got this on eBay, where the seller described it as "a ONE OF A KIND bottle of perfume from BPAL from the 2006 Chaos Theory limited editions. This has a lemony/clean/light musk feel to it-- I'd compare it to Delousing Powder, Enraged Bunny Musk, Dorian, or Theodosius the Legerdemain."

In the bottle, I get a very lemony scent, almost but not quite Lemon Pledge. On my skin, the Pledge note goes away but the lemon stays - it's not a sweet lemonade lemon, but a sharp fresh lemon. As it dries, the lemon note recedes and a very light musk comes forward.

This had a light throw, but I keep smelling my wrist because the scent lingers beautifully there.

I'm almost afraid to use more of this because I never want to run out. If the Lab ever recreates this, I will buy bottles and bottles. :P

Last reviewed by roesmoker.

Here's the 1 other review I found for this blend:

CT3: MCCXCIII

On me: Barely there. Vaguely spicy - a touch of cinnamon or dragon's blood maybe? Something vaguely resinous.

On a whim, I bought this from ebay, and I'm quite glad I did! Not sure if it was supremegoddess that sold it to me, but if so, thanks, lady! : )

This scent is incredible. It definitely, absolutely has a component from Snake Oil and Tamora, which I guess would be amber. It reminds me strongly of the Snake Pit scents, and if this were one of them, it would be the lightest of the bunch. It's kind of plant-like, but there's also either an anise note or possibly leather....something you can only smell close-up. The throw is like a light, powdery cross between Snake Oil and Buck Moon. I've never tried Ivanushka but I imagine it might smell like this.

My problem is I've gone off Snake Oil lately. I've been getting more powder than usual from the scent and it gets a little cloying after a while. Undoubtedly I will come around to loving it again, so I'm very very happy that I found this little gem. I can't wait to share it with certain local friends and hear their take on it! : )

Edit: wanted to add, this doesn't have vanilla. I get why supremegoddess called it spicy, but to me that comes off as amber. It's like a stripped-down Snake Oil with some light springy elements layered over it. YUM.

Edited by Forspecial Plate

Chaos Theory III: CCCXII (312)

Color: dark golden brown

Notes: Dark Musk, Vanilla, Gardenia for sure, it's dark and a bit sweet. Then there are soft resins (__ ?) and something green, but soft and spicy (cinnamon?)

Impressions: Sexy Babyoil - warm tan skin - The Bahamas / Puerto Vallarta / California

This is really beautiful and sexy!

edited to add this smells exactly like an insence I bought while on vacation in Mexico!

I would love to know the actual notes so I could find them in other blends.

Edited by Maidenhell

CXIX, from a forum-sale where it was undescribed to be inkeeping (and boy did I search for a CT that was undescribed!)

OMG, this is PERFECT for me! It's like herbs and lime with white floral undertones. A little like Nightgaunt. It dries down to a herby aquatic with a citrusy twist. The herb is maybe sage? Whatever it is, it's light and compliments the gloopy fruit brilliantly. It's seriously like fate decided to get this bottle to me. I will mourn this when it's all gone but I have Nightgaunt and F5 to fall back on.

I wish I had been around for CTIII, but we'll just have to see what CTIV throws my way!

Ohhh boy, this review is just going to show everyone how bad I am at picking out notes, but here it goes.

These are both decants I received in swaps.

Chaos Theory XII (12):

Mm, this is very light! It smells like a creamy and powdery vanilla. I bet something similar to this is used in a lot of popular scents. I think it might be a light amber vanilla musk or something of the sort. It almost reminds me of a note from Snow-flakes or Snow White.

Previously reviewed by Heavenlyrabbit.

Chaos Theory CLV (155):

When I first applied this, I swore it smelled like some kind of creamy fruit. Bananas, I think I decided on first, but wasn't too positive. Now it smells kind of cherry, with an undertone of something plasticky. I can't decide if I like it or not.

Previously reviewed by slave1.

*insert requisite 'my nose sucks' disclaimer here*

Chaos Theory MCCXLV: (gotten at a MnS, and as far as I know, it's never been reviewed)

In the bottle: This has a soft, sweet, woody background with something sharper and stronger up front with just a touch of spice.

On wet: Spicy and slightly sharp... I'm gonna throw a dart in the dark and say that that is patchouli. It's pretty soft, though. Smells slightly soapy. There's definitely something woody in the back, and maybe a tiny hint of floral.

On dry: More flowers come out, and I've smelled this before somewhere. It starts to smell more 'perfumey.' There's a hint of something minty in the background, even. This is very close to the skin, not terribly strong, and it reminds me very much of a commercial perfume I've smelled before, but I'm not sure which one.

I like this one, even if it does smell a bit commercial.

Chaos Theory III: CCLXXIV (274), previously reviewed by Cybra111

Described as cherry vanilla. In the imp, the cherry fragrance is very dominant. It's this sweet, fruity blend. Slightly musky. Very tasty.

Chaos Theory 3: DCXVIII (618), previously reviewed by Storme

This one is definitely went powdery. It made me think of babies, just out of the shower and full of sweet Johnson baby powder. That's what it made me think of.

Chaos Theory 3: CCXXVII (227)

This one I couldn't find a previous review for. But it was pretty much cherry vanilla Coke. Yup. Cherry and vanilla and Coke. Dries to dryer sheets and cherry blossoms though. Sad.

Edited by Shollin

CIX - 109

In the bottle: Light bright yellow colour. Drily woody, slightly spicy, a little sharp and fresh. Sandalwood, heady florals.

Wet: Softer, milder, sweeter. More floral - a lily of some sort, perhaps? Definitely white sandalwood. A bit dusty. This reminds me a ton of Dragon's Bone. Something a touch juicy-fruity.

Dry: Definitely a lily, with a powdery edge, and I think some orris too. The florals are oddly sweet, sort of sickly, so I suspect some lotus as well, maybe root, which explains the fruity note. And a sort of salty note.

Later: This shit doesn't dry. Fortunately, even accidentally slathered, it has low throw. It's gone oddly creamy...coconut! This makes it even sweeter and gives the blend a tropical vibe.

Summary: Sweet lotus (root?) and creamy white coconut, with some form of lily and possibly other heady but faint florals, and a sliver of white sandalwood. Feminine, summery-beachy. Low throw, good lasting power.

Do not want.

CCLVI - 256

In the bottle: Virtually colourless extremely pale yellow oil. Herbal-green, woodsy, resiny. Fresh, aquatic. Somewhat cologney and masculine.

Wet: Cleaner and brighter and wetter. Lavender, white tea, bergamot, musk. Classic/traditional. But not soapy. Very faint could be balsam, but this more just light herbs.

Dry: Dries almost instantly and fades quickly, the musk coming to the fore. Reminds me of a lavender-tea version of Oisin. The musk is light in feel but strong in presence, and very smooth.

Later: Hmm, maybe one of the herbs is a light, faintly sweet mint - white mint? This continues to fade dramatically and rapidly.

Summary: Faint, fresh, herbal musk and white tea. Unisex to masculine. Clean, outdoorsy. Low throw and miserably brief longevity.

Really yummy but oh so short-lived!

DCCCLXXI - 871

In the imp: Dark honey/light amber coloured oil. Fresh, herbal, woodsy. Clean, almost soapily so. Masculine, verging on cologne-y.

Wet: Sweeter, less sharply herbal, but still fresh and outdoorsy. Fir or cypress? Some sort of gentle evergreen, and some deeper green resins too. Hint of soapy, slightly heady floral.

Dry: Morpher. That floral has emerged further but it hasn't gone too soapy. It's slightly bitter, not sweet, and sort of herbal but definitely a flower. A nice light musk has emerged.

Later: Ahh a note that's been nagging reveals itself as the slick sort of leather, and the evergreen is a piney sort of deep tea note. The floral is chrysanthemum, and this reminds me a helluva lot of Daiyu.

Summary: Tea leaf, brightly herbal chrysanthemum, slick leather and light musk. Unisex to masculine. Fresh, clean. Reminds me strongly of Daiyu without the juicy-medicinal acai or jasmine note. Lowish throw and lasting power.

It's a bit masculine for me but I'm hanging on to my imp. :P

MLV - 1055

In the imp: Rich golden yellow colour. Bitterly herbal (possibly floral, in a green way), with a buttery-foody base and a spicy, fresh ginger.

Wet: Herbal and potential floral notes GONE. This is pure gingery foody cakey-ness - reminds me loads of Gingerbread Poppet. Sweeter and creamier.

Dry: More spices emerging...clove and nutmeg and much fainter cinnamon. There's definitely some vanilla, a lighter sort. And cake, and a bit of musk too.

Later: Fading rapidly in throw and mellowing a bit in terms of spiciness. There's some sort of milky note, like soy or rice milk, faintly nutty and not at all sour, but not rich either.

Summary: Spicy-fresh ginger, nutmilk, light vanilla and musk, with cake and faint nutmeg, cinnamon, and clove. Softly spicy, sweet, creamy, and foody. Feminine. Decent throw, fades quickly.

More foody stuff, blech!

Previously reviewed by elspeth.

Edited by Shollin

CDLXXIV - 474

In the Bottle: dark berries (slightly sweet, fresh not candied....but very dark), pomegranate, musk, resinous notes (no clue what kind though....I've never been a fan of resinous scents, so I don't have much experience)

Wet on Skin: The resinous note(s) is stronger than it was in the bottle

Dry: It stays the same as it was when wet for quite a while, but after about a 1/2 hour, something lighter (I'm not sure what exactly, but it reminds me of white pepper), comes out over top of the darker, heavier notes. About an hour into the drydown, something slightly green appears (it's a very light green though.....and the note is very week). Several hours later, the green note, the dark berries, and the white pepper??? disappear (leaving only the pomegranate, resinous notes, and musk)

This was described to me as foody.....uh, no. Definitely not. But it seams to be well-blended, so I imagine that if I liked darker scents, I would find this to be quite attractive

EDIT: gone to AngelaTarantula

Last reviewed by SueDonym.

Edited by Shollin

MCXCII - 1192

In the bottle: Herbal, woody, floral. A bit sort of dark and musty. Slightly soap-clean. Unisex.

Wet: Spicier (soft carnation?), woodier, and more floral. Also soapier, I think from one of the florals. Powdery, too, perhaps?

Dry: More and more powdery, sigh. I do think there may be light lilac, but there is definitely my dreaded nemesis, WISTERIA, and possibly some violet.

Later: This has a very pastel mauve feel to it. It's sweetened a bit, in a sort of powdered sugar pixie stix way. There's a dryness to the wood - sandalwood?

Summary: WISTERIA, with much fainter lilac and violet, and a dusting of sugar, over dry white sandalwood. Very feminine. On me, it's extremely dry, dusty, and powdery and unpleasant. Moderate throw, impossible to remove.

Edited by fairnymph