Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
cupide430

Mouse's Long and Sad Tale

Vanilla, two ambers, sweet pea and white sandalwood.

IN THE IMP: Mostly spicy sandalwood, with some amber and vanilla. I think I'm really sensitive to wood smells.

WET: The sweet pea starts to come out, and the sandalwood starts dying down, thank goodness. The vanilla is coming out a LOT.

DRY: Soft, sweet vanilla with a hint of spicy sandalwood and sweet pea. Warm and sweet. Very pretty!

Wow my first review! Ok here goes,

In the bottle- I can't seem to smell it really at all

Wet on my skin- still not a whole lot of smell

As it dries it starts to pick up and I can smell the vanilla for sure.

Dry- the amber and sandalwood get much stronger maybe a little too strong for me.

I love this scent the most a few hours after I have applied it, overall once it's "calmed down" on my skin it is one of my favorite scents.

So far I've liked the lab's amber and loved their vanilla, so I can only guess that it's the combination of the two, or the sweet pea or sandalwood that's making this just smell like faint baby powder on me. Nice baby powder, sure. But still powder.

1/5

Edited by gnl

This is one of my favorites.

There is nothing about this perfume that I don't love.

You can really pick out the vanilla and the sweetpea and on my skin it complments both of these.

Overall this is a nice sweet scent with a little flowers, very nice and girlie, would be wonderful for a bath oil, and works great in my lotion!

I recommend this one as keeper!

This starts out nearly a single-note sweet pea on me.. emphasis on the "sweet." It's a pink sort of smell, delicate and girly. Within a few minutes, it begins to morph into a more complex scent [good, since I was swayed by the 'two ambers and sandalwood' part of the description].

My brain somehow provided "this smells like a white/pale(/pink?) version of Velvet.

Which, I know, other than the sandalwood, makes zero sense. I think it's the sweetness against the sandalwood, even if it's sweet pea and vanilla to Velvet's chocolate.

I do get a hint of baby-scent, but I think it's less "baby powder" and more "sweet-smelling, just-washed baby".. and it's subtle.

I don't know if the scent is "me" -- it's more floral and less amber than I expected -- but it IS lovely.

I just got this today and I was really excited because it has some of my favorite notes combined and it did not dissapoint. When it first goes on it's a somewhat cool vanilla and sweet pea, but after a little while, it really warms up and the vanilla and what i'm assuming are maybe amber or sandalwood are in prominance with just a little sweet pea in the back. I am very happy with this. It's sweet and warm but subtle, and I think, could be very sexy. I think I need a full bottle of this.

ADDED Aug. 1:

I already posted on this scent, but i've realized that after wearing this scent for a while it gets to be pure overpowering sandalwood towards the very end:( It kind of makes me sad. But it may be worth the sandalwood ending to enjoy the perfect beginning.

Well, I'm not a vanilla fan at all, so I wasn't expecting a lot from the Mouse's Long and Sad Tale. It more or less met expectations for me. The vanilla here is actually pretty pleasant and doesn't hulk out on my skin. It's very sweet, almost marshmallowy, but it's not perfumey at all. That's a nice change.

Ultimately, though, MLaST really lacks complexity on me. It's vanilla... yup... sweet vanilla... yup... that's all it is. It actually got me in the mood for a vanilla scent and (after hell finished freezing over) I put on a bit of Illustrated Woman over this, which was really nice and solved the complexity problem.

If you're looking for a very simple, sweet, non-perfumey vanilla, I recommend this whole heartedly. I imagine it's great for layering with certain things too, if that's your bag.

In bottle: warm amber and sandalwood, softened by cool sweet pea and vanilla.

Wet on skin: a soft, sweeeeet mix of flowers, amber and sandalwood. The vanilla is there, but it doesn't scream out at you! Very delicate.

Dry on skin: very sweet and innocent - a soft, almost milky floral vanilla grounded by amber and sandalwood. Pretty, but too sweet and dare I say boring?

After an hour the vanilla and sweet pea have receded enough to let amber take centre stage, nicely supported by sandalwood. This is much better than the first stage. However, I'm not keen on the way amber goes on my skin, and this is too similar to O to interest me.

In the imp, very fruity (where is that coming from?). I detect a touch of vanilla, and maybe the fruity is the sweet pea, which really is too sweet for me. A previous poster said this is a "young" scent, and I definitely get the pink that everyone is talking about. I wish the vanilla and sandalwood were out more. Not for me, sadly.

edit: It's been a little over an hour, and this has dried down into something quite pleasant, very much like Antique Lace, more vanilla with a little fruity sweetness thrown in. I'll just use my AL, though, Mouse takes too long to get there.

Edited by milo

In The Bottle

I don't get alot of anything in the imp, just a soft waft of vanilla

On Application

Wow. A nice melding of amber and sandalwood with the vanilla giving a smokey roundness.

Dry Down

This is my first experience with white sandalwood, I think, and it is DRY and really lovely. Such a shame I don't detect the sweet pea as I love how they smell. Started off as almost masculine and becomes sweet and girly. Still, I like very much and may consider a bottle.

Rating (0-5)

Although this has an air of pleasantness about it, it just smells PINK to me. Like cotton candy pink. It could be cute on the right girl, but I don't wear pink cashmere cardigans, baby!

I mean, it's not bad....I'm just not resonating with the overall feel.

3.8 out of 5

I was surprised to like this so much as I don't like amber or sandalwood; however, the vanilla and sweet pea are gorgeous and definitely cover up that incense flavor I usually get with the former notes; lovely and soft!

Fuzzy, soft white mouse's tale! Both dry and sweet and a little melancholy! Just like its name! :D

I get sweet pea and vanilla and incense. There is a dry paper-like sandalwood that seems a bit peppery. I does smell white and fuzzy and warm. Kind of like Coyote in its fuzziness.

I like this. It's easy to wear and "cute"--in a BPAL way. :P

Wet, on me, vanilla and sweet pea. It is a very soft scent.

Drying, I can begin to smell the sandalwood.

This is still a very soft scent.

It seems like I've been waiting FOREVER to try this blend, I don't know why it has taken me so long. But it was worth the wait.

MLaST reminds me a lot of Antique Lace, only with much more vanilla (a plus.) I swear I smell tea in the drydown, but I think it must be the sweetpea confusing my nose (I don't wear a lot of sweetpea). I think I'll try this out at work tomorrow and see how the sandalwood comes into play over the day, its usually a hit or miss note with me, but I can easily see this becoming a weekday favorite.

Its light, but not TOO light. I'll definitely be wearing it in a scent locket to make it last though.

a sweet vanilla! honest to god, i would describe it as tiny vanilla cakes. there's something in this keeping it from smelling like the pure, warm vanillas that i love and prefer so i will likely be swapping it out, but it is still very beautiful, and i absolutely recommend it to any foody/vanilla admirers! :P

In the imp: Sweet pea and vanilla.

Wet: Amber initially, but the vanilla catches up since I amp it.

Dry: Here comes the sandalwood. I get all the notes except the sweet pea, which is being swallowed by the vanilla, amber and sandalwood thanks to my chemistry. The sweet pea is still there; it's just far in the background.

Into the purchase box.

This is BEAUTIFUL. Sweet, fresh sweet pea with a dollop of vanilla. I'm not getting too much of the other notes, which I'm fine with (although I like them)- this is a very simple, clean and pretty oil. Very awesome.

I LOVE IT. I'm hoarding it. My boyfriend thought it was delicious. It smelled like chocolate vanilla cake, sweet but not cloying, perfect dessert foodie bliss. I didn't really get pea, or sandalwood, and I don't know where I got chocolate from since its not a listed note but maybe the amber and vanilla gave it a caramel sort of delicious smell. Can't say for sure, but I can say I LOVE IT!

IN THE IMP: Golden (not creamy) vanilla, fresh-perfumy sandalwood, and possibly a touch of sweet pea. Girly but very perfumy.

ON SKIN: The throw is primarily vanilla, then the sandalwood, with the amber(s) (I couldn't really distinguish two) lying closer to the skin as a grounding note. The sandalwood and amber make it too perfumy for me, while the vanilla is the same cloying one as in Antique Lace. Nicely blended, but overpoweringly sweet – this is not at all the delicate blend that I expected. To make a very kooky and sleep-deprivation-inspired comparison, this is like getting hit in the face by your old-fashioned aunt, assuming your aunt was a vanilla-drenched brick of amber.

I had to wash it off after half an hour, needless to say.

SUMMARY: Syrupy golden vanilla, sandalwood, and underlying amber. Perfumy, sweet, feminine, strong throw.

Edited by Emera

Vanilla and something almost metallic in the imp. I tried this before and the sweetpea ruined it. We'll see what happens this time.

Wet on the skin, it smells a little like paste, which I think I'm learning to associate with vanilla and X flower note, where the flower could be one of many. It has very little throw. As it dries down, the sandalwood comes to play with the vanilla a little and it reminds me somewhat of Tombstone, which is interesting.

When it's dry, it's a pretty, if perfumey, vanilla. Sweetpea and I only sometimes get along, and this is another instance in which it's just not going to work out. Buh-bye Mousie.

It doesn't get any better than this. Amber, sandalwood and vanilla. Creamy vanilla, warm comforting sandalwood and the sexiest note out there - amber.

All three combine together beautifully to create a blend that makes you feel like a woman. I really don't smell sweet pea, except wen I sniff from the bottle, and immediately after application. A minute after, the sweetness and crispness of sweet pea disappears completely. I am left with a warm, slightly sweet, creamy blend of Amber, sandalwood and vanilla.

Possibly, my most coveted blend of MTP.

I am very excited to try this blend. Vanilla is one of my favorite notes, and I am always happy to add more vanilla blends to my collection. Along with that, I ADORE sweet pea, and don't think there are enough blends that have it. Amber can be kinda hit and miss with me, but the sandalwood is the note here that leaves me a bit worried, since I am a wood amper like whoa.

In the imp this is a light vanilla/sandalwood blend. Pleasant, but not overly exciting. I hope I get more sweet pea when this is on my skin.

On my skin, this is a very powdery vanilla, with undertones of sandalwood and sweet pea. Very nice. A bit too powdery, but I'm going to give this some more time to dry.

Good god, yeah this turns into TOTAL powder on me. Darn! Sweet powder and sandalwood. Meh. Really really powdery. I blame the amber on that. Powder powder powder :P

Edited by Suu4LC

Man, I love the Lab's sweet pea note. It's sweet, delicate, and very pink. I think that Mouse is *the* best Lab scent that features sweet pea (although Titania comes in a close second). The vanilla, amber, and sandalwood blend perfectly with it, supporting the sugary sweetness of the sweet pea without overwhelming it. This is a very clean blend to me -- I could easily see a little girl wearing this, as her very first perfume. I think it fits in well with the other classic "creamy" BPAL GC scents: Dorian, Antique Lace, and Dana O'Shee. Anyway, anyone who likes sweet or floral blends needs to try this at some point.

4.5/5

I adore ML&ST. It has wonderful milk and sandalwood tones. It also has just a touch of a twange at the end. This is one of my everyday scents and it does not change on my skin at all. it has great staying power.