Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
nineveh

Ochosi

The Archer, Lord of the Bow and Arrow. To know Ochosi is to know the movement of the arrow into prey and the whistle of the arrow in flight. He is the transference of energy over a distance, and His is the speed of light, sound and thought, though he is not merely though, he is the stroke of instant understanding or realization. Ochosi is the Hunter-Wizard, skilled in the use of magickal potions and poisons, silent, dangerous and possessed of a cool, calm, sharp intelligence. He is the calculated extension of the mind, the Tracker, the Ranger, and he governs the changing of the seasons, stealth, guerilla warfare, and He alone acts as a buffer and shield between reason and insanity. He is the protector of children, the weak, the helpless, and the aged. His ofrenda is the soft shea he shares with Obatala, forest herbs, and sprucewood arrow shafts.

On me, this is a warm, creamy scent on top of a green wood note. I can also pick out a faint grassy smell. Overall, it's a bit sweet, very subtle and natural-feeling.

It reminds me somewhat of Nosferatu plus some wood.

I expected something a bit more woody in this, but it's a golden, slightly lemony herbal with a soft, gentle sweetness about it and a creamy wooden base. Very light, buoyant and spring/summery. Light slanting through pale geen leaves, shedding a sweet golden light.

It's got a bit of a cleansing sharp tang to it.

As it dries, it becomes an indistinct, pleasant soft green scent. Faded slightly creamy fruit, a bit of a "cleaning fluid" sharpness and a grassy green base.

Much lighter than I expected and much cleaner. A pleasant scent, though not one that I'd wear.

in the vial: shea. light fresh

wet: sweet,creamy, spruce.

as it dries this is a soft, creamy (i think from the shea) clean yet slightly herbal scent. very very awesome i think it will be a summer scent for me

This one is a keeper, a nice clean, smooth scent. I'm getting the shea with just the tinyest touch of herbs, maybe cilantro, something Italiany. It makes me want to sniff the back of my hand all day.

Ochosi was one of the new releases that I was most excited about, hoping for a foresty scent with a creamy shea edge.

First on, this smells a lot like Mantis - sweet herbal notes and a light hint of soapiness.

5 minutes later, the soapiness has faded and there's a honeyed sweetness to this. I'm liking it a lot more now.

Ochosi is much warmer than I had expected. It smells like wandering through a dew-covered meadow on a balmy summer night. Wet air, grasses, and a honey-shea softness in the background. It's just as lovely as I had hoped that it would be. It reminds me of Buck Moon with the soft, sweetened, dewy greenery.

Edited by Little Bird

On me, Ochosi has the same green, herbal sort of top note that Yggdrasil has with soft, creamy undertones (the shea?). I can pick out a cut grass, crushed vegetation sort of smell. It is far, far sweeter than I imagined it would be. It is also very strong, one dab is all that I needed to test it.

Unfortunately I am getting the same reaction to Ochosi that I get to Yggdrasil (a headache) so this one isn't for me.

In Bottle: Ozoney smoothie smell

On Skin: This is quite tasty… I get a very dominant ozone note and also a sweet fruit complimenting note. I smell the Shea from Obatala and I love that… I think maybe that’s what made Obatala so creamy yet refreshing as well. But it isn’t real milky like Obatala, it’s more soapy and slightly woody. Maybe sandalwood? I usually get a sweet soapy note from sandalwood. The herbs are not medicinal, they’re more fresh and bright. This is so nice… if you don’t like how milky Obatala is, this would be your perfect option. They seem to be related quite well… maybe Obatala is the feminine choice and Ochosi is the masculine choice.

<snip>ETA: I really slathered this one on last night and wore it to bed... and it really, really reminded me of Buck Moon. It smells on me the way that I wanted Buck Moon to, the way that my Buck Moon smells in the bottle. So, for anyone who wanted to try the Buck or anyone who wishes they could get more - you might want to try Ochosi :D

I totally agree. Ochosi is an amazing scent and as I wear it, it reminds me so strongly of Buck Moon that it's shocking. Wonderful really as I love Buck Moon dearly and have always been very careful about using my bottle.

OK, on to the review.

In the imp: fresh, herbal, a bit like what I remember Yggdrasil smelled like (going only on my memory here, it turned on me so I got rid of it quick before it had a chance to tempt me again).

On the skin, I smell the same creaminess that is present in Obatala, that must be the shea. Beautiful, smooth, creamy.

As it wears, the shea recedes and it becomes deeper, richer, herbal, grassy, touch of woods. I'm smelling musk, the same musk and elements that are in Buck Moon. There's similarities here too to Devils Night - not boozy but that same wonderful velvety musk. I want to roll around in that musk, it's so amazing. There's touches of wood and the forest, and it evokes clear night air.

This imp is not going to last long. I am in love. :P

Edited by cranberry

In the imp: Fairly light woodsy green scent.

Upon application: The shea really jumps out. Since trying Obatala, I've come to realize that my skin amps shea like crazy. It's a very buttery, creamy scent on me. Too buttery and creamy.

After about 20 minutes: The scent balances itself out on my skin. Soft slightly piney woods, a musky touch and the cream/butter of the shea has softened quite a bit.

I like it okay at this point, but it smells more like something I'd like in a shampoo or lotion than as a perfume.

Ochosi is light, but there's something fruity in here that I don't know if I like. The fruit fragrance is taking over... is this the shea? It's retreated as quickly as it's come to the forefront. How strange.

Anyway, Ochosi seems like a "bright herbal" fragrance now. The oil is very lush on my skin during the early moments. I can see this being a favourite of some during the summertime.

When I first applied, Ochosi seemed very fruity and girly, almost, but now it's tempered into a fragrance with a light woodsy aura. I'm surprised at how much it's changed in the three minutes I've worn it thus far. Each stage is better than the last, though, and I'm quite fond of the stage where it's at now, this "sweet woods brushed with pine needles" stage. It's fairly unisex, although some may find it too masculine, and it smells very clean. As the oil sits longer, at around the ten minute mark or so the woods become blended a bit with a cream-lotion fragrance. It smells vaguely of pencil shavings, but it's ever so slight.

I'll have to wear Ochosi to work or on a weekend to contemplate more about this fragrance. It's not an "OMIGOSH" scent, but I can see this growing on me. I'm okay with it overall, but the beginning few moments were a bit odd on me, plus I need to see how it works throughout a longer timeframe. Although the first ten minutes of an oil make or break it for me, I've been surprised with drydowns on some fragrances I was kind of "meh" about.

-doreen

This starts out as sweet but turns green almost immediately. Every time I think I can make out the sweetness again, it disappears. This is very herbal and clean. No one scent stands out. This is just herbal green.

In the imp: Smooth, buttery woods and herbs. Oooooo.

On my skin: This sweetens and greens up on application some, but it still remains quite smooth. I'm not much of a "green" oil wearer, but I can definately see myself wearing this. It's quite clean and refreshing, good for spring and summer.

Later on: Not so sweet anymore, although it still smells soft and green to me. This one definately is going on the future bottle purchase list!

Rating (on skin): 2/5

Summarised in a word or two: Herbal, woodsy shea.

Preconceived notions: After falling head-first for Obatala, the words "the soft shea he shares with Obatala" convinced me to track this down. I love herbal notes, and woodsy notes can, at times, be divine, so, who knows.

In the imp: Shea and herbs! This could end well.

On skin, wet: Generic pine-related cleaning fluid? The hell? Creamy, yes, but also very pine-y and woodsy. But... cleaning fluid.

On skin, dry: Sharp and herbal, this one. There's definitely a grassy base to this of some sort, but not a freshly-cut grass; more like a grassy field in the middle of a forest, more brown than green. The shea lingers, and obviously reminds me very much of Obatala, but there's an unsettling sweetness about it, one that I've noticed in some scents (BPAL and non) with grassy qualities.

Conclusion/Notes: Nice, but a little too... nature-y, lord-of-the-forest for me, somehow.

In the vial and wet on my skin, Ochosi is smelling very herbally, woody with a lot of shea

Drying down, Ochosi begins to smell alot like Herbal Essence shampoo - that's not really a bad thing but I was hoping to smell a bit more woodsy.

Completely dried down and I am smelling the sprucewood a bit more but it is still totally overpowered by the shea.

Conclusion? I had higher hopes for this. I like wood notes but Ochosi disappointed me in that respect. It smells completely like shea with just a tiny hint of bitter herbs. This was on my list for a 5ml but I am so glad I got the imp first!

Mmm This is like the meadow in the forest clearing. It is soft and outdoorsy.

It's like wearing a cashmere sweater and hiking boots on a walk through the woods.

This one is hard to describe. Very woody and astringent at first, then that sweet, almost musky/leathery note that reminds me of Buck Moon, now that I see other people mentioning it. I'm getting that sweet, foresty, meadowy vibe too, although there's more than a hint of soap. For about five minutes I was in total adoration, then later, not so sure. I will make my husband try it, because it's certainly masculine.

Ochosi

In the imp: a sweeter, creamier version of Buck Moon's sharp herbs, with wood (spruce?) at the back.

Wet on skin: sharp, green herbs and grass, almost like EBM and Buck Moon and Arachne, with a creamy shea sweetness.

Dry on skin: mmm, I like it, though the herbs are very sharp now. it's a snap of tangy green plants and stems and leaves, with a dry wooden background reminiscent of cypress-I think it's the spruce wood, and a creamy sweet yet dry and scrubby scent which I think is shea as I get a similar scent in Obatala. This is a refreshing, bracing scent; it's like running through the forest, smelling the plants as they are crushed underfoot. And it is very much like Buck Moon, with shea instead of musk.

After a while: the scent is less herbal-sharp now but it's a lot drier and with a 'grey wood' note, almost dusty, with a creamy, almost fruity sweetness above it, almost like green apple to my nose. It's an unusual scent, but I like it-it's foresty, but not in the usual way, this isn't a winter forest, or a forest floor scent, this is more airy and light.

It's not as nice after about two hours-the scent becomes an odd dusty/plaster like and metallic scent with a hint of…cider? There are some woody herbal notes here but…dusty metallic cider. Weird.

Verdict: this scent started out quite nicely-a fresh green scent, a forest themed scent with isn't evergreen or earthy, this is the scent of the plants of the forest and hints of the wood, with a soft, creamy shea note. It brought to mind running swiftly through the forest, crushing herbs underfoot, and leaving a green scent in your wake. I really liked this at first, but I am not very keen on the drydown this gave me-an odd, dusty plaster scent with a bit of overripe fruit and cider, a combination of notes that smells a bit weird. I will need to swap or sell this one, I think.

Emoticon rating: :P

In the vial: Fresh, perhaps slightly on the lemony side

On my skin: This is definitely a fresh, green scent, without any ozone notes to it. A tiny bit of creaminess, but I'd say the majority of the scent is sweet and green.

This is a lovely scent, and an unusual one, in my experience. I get cream and spices right away, but there's a fresh, herbal note that keeps it from verging into foody territory. As it dries, the herbal note strengthens into evergreen, and this becomes a gorgeous forest scent. It's much softer and rounder than most, but there's a note in it that reminds me of Dublin and Snow Bunny. Gorgeous. I want a bottle.

Ochosi.

I'd never smelled Shea Butter before so I was unsure what to expect. On me, this starts out with a creaminess backed up by a green/herbal smell. The creaminess is very unusual to me. Nice, though. After awhile the green comes out again and Ochosi turns into something very similiar to Nocnitsa on me. Same green/Spruce note and an almost fruity thing going on. The Shea gives it a softer feel, though. It's not as strong as Nocnitsa. I'll have to wear it a few more times to see which I like best :P

In bottle: Herby! Very herby

On skin, wet: Lemon? Pine cleaner, with a hint of dark herbal ... something.

On skin, dry: Piney, resinous .. gum. Mastic gum. It must be the sprucewood.

Conclusion: I feel like I've been camping. Which usually means I should wash this off.

Rating: 0/5

Ochosi - This is a very woodsy scent full of dry leaves. I don't usually like leaves and forest scents, but this one is warm and smooth and really nice. It has average throw and wear length. Despite thinking it's a surprisingly nice scent, it's still not something I would choose over my other favorite scents, but I imagine someone who likes forest-type scents would really enjoy this one.

Ochosi does share some of the lovely shea that Obatala has, but the herbs and an overriding fruitiness mostly covers it. It’s really strong and unexpectedly fruity sweet first on, and kinds of gets stuck in my throat. I can’t really pick the fruit or the herbs, except to say that the fruits have the barest tropical feel and the herbs are really soft, and not spicy or woody. The shea comes out a little more on the dry-down, and the fruity herbalness fades a little into the background. I prefer this stage, which is also a little aquatic and the watery aspect reminds me just a touch of Ulalume, but without the dirt and with creaminess. Final dry-down though, has a slight plasticky aspect. I agree with the some of the other reviewers that Ochosi is like/would be good as, a shampoo. Overall, it is nice, but doesn’t thrill me, and for the shea scent, Obatala with its coconut meat is the one for me.

I like the spruce! It's awesome. I can smell shea butter when I put it on. It's not bad, but I prefer the purer spruce of the imp. Decent throw.

From a distance I get whiffs of something almost water-fresh like, which is not my favorite. Must be the sweetness of the shea maybe that i'm confusing with that? But up close the sprucewood is warm and great. This is definitely very close to the skin though, very light. A few hours later, there's almost nothing here. I think the waft of fresh-watery-ness will drive me away from this.