Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
alicia_stardust

Swadhisthana

SWADHISTHANA: SACRAL

The Glory of Vishnu, The House of Varuna, One's Own Abode

The Six-Petaled Lotus.

The unconscious, the sweetness of life, desire, pleasure, sexuality, procreation, emotion.

Swadhisthana is the manifestation of passion, the reconciliation, balance and union of the masculine and feminine within ourselves.

In Swadhisthana, we learn to give and receive pleasure. It is the stimulation of the life force, the basis for life itself, and our force on the physical plane.

In this chakra, our samskaras are cloistered, and in this chakra they find expression.

Because of the highly sexual identification of this chakra, many find its temptations and trials very difficult to overcome.

In the bottle: This is very bright and golden. I do get the color orange from it, but it's a brighter more vivid orange. As far as scent, I mostly detect something that's bright and golden without it being citrus or amber. If that makes any sense at all?

Just applied: Wow, this is very nice. I detect something medicinal in there, and something that could possibly be a light amout of patchouli. I am also curious about the peppery quality that comes out in this. It's like white pepper, but I doubt it's actually white pepper. I'm thinking it's more likely jasmine, because my skin turns jasmine to a strange peppery scent (Ew!). The jasmine might also explain the fruitiness I'm detecting.

After 30 minutes: The peppery quality fades, and at this point it's just a very light, bright, warm, and golden scent. It's also very sensual at this point. I can't detect any notes better than that!

I do have one thought about the chakra blends. I could be wrong, but I'm starting to wonder if these Chakra blends all have a common blend in them much like some of the Lunar oils are said to have. I just seem to get a certain smell that's underneath everything else that reminds me of the other Chakra scents I've tested. Hmm.

Rating: For Chakra working purposes, I give this 5 out of 5 stars. For scent alone, I give this 3 out of 5 stars.

A review based only on scent...

Sniffing from the bottle: Oh, so very, very heavenly. It glows.

Upon application: I think I smell gardenia & maybe jasmine. Sweet, creamy florals anyway. And vanilla...and either cassia or cinnamon. And maybe orange?

After a few minutes: Maybe a hint of patchouli. I loooooove this. :P

A bit later: And, omigod...if it wasn't good enough already - a base of musk.

All day long at work I kept looking around trying to figure out what smelled so good...and then realizing it was me. Absolutely gorgeous. Vaguely reminiscent of Love Me...but with some sort of light shining through it. I could wear it every day of the year.

I definately agree with the associations with Love Me. The jasmine is definately there. There's that fiery type of blend Beth does that isn't at all spicy, but is floral. I never realised before how /hot/ florals could be, until Fire Eater and Salamander. I'm definately likening this to the yellow flame licking out of the glowing coals of the root chakra. Could be good for sexy dancing!

:P

Sweet florals, possibly rose and ylang ylang, wafting up from this bottle that represents sensuality and opening yourself up to the possibility of pleasure. There’s a mild bubble-gumminess to this, could there be lotus as well? On skin, there’s a brief episode of orange peel that segues almost immediately into a mildly pineapple-esque, tropical floral aroma accentuated with a warm, sweet woodsy base. Nothing pungent here, this oil is smooth and sweet. Oh, and I think there is jasmine in this, because it’s definitely amping up something fierce on me. Not that it’s a bad thing. This is a pleasant, sensual fruity jasmine. How appropriate!

I think that there is jasmine in Swadhisthana, but it’s not overpowering or nauseating as it usually is on my skin. It’s rather sweet and coated in something that smells spicy and slightly dusty. It stays a very sweet and unobtrusive jasmine on me. Not one of my absolute favorites scent-wise, but still nice.

Swadhisthana: the Sacral

In the imp: white flowers. I smell jasmine here-and gardenia? I hope this isn't the gardenia that hates me…

Wet on skin: oh dear, there is evil gardenia in here…I can already smell it turning acrid on me. But it's not too much, so maybe this one might be ok?

Dry on skin: hmm, not bad! This is a mixture of bright, heady jasmine, gardenia (which is disagreeing with me slightly, but not too much. I think it's a bit more restrained in here and it's not overtaking-and it will tone down) and also something which I think is ylang-ylang. I also get a scent reminiscent of a BNever perfume, but I can't remember which, and what that note is. I also get a pale, almost powdery that may be white sandalwood, or iris, or maybe orris. I get hints of green (that may be the gardenia though) and something 'red' and clear underneath and I think that is dragon's blood, and perhaps a little hint of musk. It reminds me of Sacred Whore and Love Me, and another gardenia scent that I can't remember now.

After a while: the gardenia scent is not bad in here-in fact, it adds an almost spicy edge to the scent that is pleasant, and also reminds me of loose tea leaves. Now the scent is a well rounded, well blended pale and creamy floral scent where I can't really pick out individual notes apart from gardenia, jasmine/ylang and maybe a light musk or iris note. It still reminds me of something from BNever but I can't remember what. It's a lot nicer now. To enhance this experience, I decided to make a cup of Chakra Tea for the sacral chakra, and when I use this in a meditative sense, I will apply to the navel area.

This fragrance stays like this-a dry, white, well rounded floral with a hint of powder and green-for the rest of the scent's duration on the skin.

Verdict: this one of the nicer catalogue gardenia scents, I think. Although this does give me the sharp, harsh gardenia reaction when applied to the skin, it's such a small amount and there are loads of other lovely notes to conceal it. this scent is a very well blended floral scent, almost reminiscent of a perfume from BNever (can't remember which though). I smell gardenia, and also jasmine, ylang-ylang, possibly some iris or another pale powdery floral, and there may be the slightest hint of light musk here as well. It's very well rounded and balanced and is the sort of thing that can be worn as perfume. I'm not sure if I would do so (I'm not so keen on the wet stage of this scent) but I would like to use this in a meditative sense.

In the imp, soft creamy florals. On my skin, it turned sort-of bubble-gummy but not unpleasant. Dry, it is soft and feminine, jasmine and gardenia moving forward with slight muskiness in the background. It's very lovely.

I can't help it--I think of Swadhisthana as "the horndog chakra" even though it is so much more. :P Bright red-orange in the vial. Very sweet on me--lilies? ylang? Definitely sweet floral, but underneath is a touch of patchouli (or some other note that "dirties" the flowers), and what I think is red musk. I'm not getting too terribly much jasmine or bubblegum lotus; if they are there, they're well-blended with other notes. This does remind me of blends like Love Me and Sacred 'Ho--the sweet-dirty-florals. I'm not crazy about that juxtaposition, which always seem too un-subtle for me (like, "I'm so hawt! Everybody look at me shake my bon-bon!"), but it seems completely appropriate that Swadhisthana is in that family of scents. Another one for Chakra work but not perfume.

I can't pick out any individual notes in this blend, because it makes my head swim in a really, really good way from the moment I opened the bottle. There's definitely a creamy something on the drydown that makes me hum with happiness, and some florals that blend really well with that note. I've worn this every day so far this week because it's so fabulous.

For effectiveness? :blush: Well. I think it's hugely effective. I definitely feel like it's activating that chakra, and my personal aura has likely shifted as a result. I think my attitudes and body language are more relaxed and "open" and playful/flirtatious, and people are picking up on that. It's definitely been a different experience this week, and for the better.

I can see how folks could get sort of 'stuck' in this chakra, but mine's been stagnant and closed for a really long time now. I thank Beth for creating this blend, as it's proven to be a really wonderful aid in re-opening, working and healing that chakra. I look forward to continuing to use it, and the other blends.

Rating (on skin): 2/5

Efficacy (if applicable): N/A

Summarised in a word or two: Jasmine.

In the imp: Hmm. Darkly floral. A bit like newer Love Me.

On skin, wet: Oh, lovely. Jasmine! Sweet, creamy, and floral -- but not a bright, sweet floral; a darker, cool floral. Lovely indeed.

On skin, dry: Uh, ylang? Actually, I'm not quite sure, but something that reminds me of ylang. I do like jasmine, but this is a strong jasmine. So far, it's too floral.

Conclusion: I like jasmine, and I like gardenia, but both in small amounts. This is too floral for me, however lovely it is in the imp and wet. I can't comment on its intended purposes yet, but I'll add that later.

This is my first review (and honestly my first real post)... I'm not very good at picking out scents, but I tried this last night and I have to agree with perclexed completely. I was unable to pick out any specific notes - but it was extremely pleasant and stimulating. After it dried, it mellowed some and wasn't quite as sweet. I did combine it with Vortex, Manipura, Anhata, and Muladhara - and of the combination all I can say is wow. These were great together! I, too, noticed the openness and flirtiness increase perclexed did. I'm not one to do chakra work much but I'm going to have a hard time giving these to the friend I got them for!

Warm, creamy, golden florals that entwine and wrap around you...

This is so so beautiful, and my nose isn't trained well enough yet to tell what is exactly in it..

Jasmine?

Vanilla?

Cream?

Ylang ylang?

Musk?

It's just divine, and it makes me feel...amazing when I wear it.

I would love this in a larger bottle!

Chakra - Swadhistana: Sacral - After applying this, I'm left wretching and gasping for fresh air. Jasmine! Gardenia! And CHEMICALS! Wow. This is one heck of a pungent scent. I feel like I'm being smothered by a chemical or two that are desperately trying to become jasmine and gardenia, but aren't quite reaching their goal. It's overpowering and stringent, and even though I'm wearing only the tiniest bit on the back of my hand, as I walk outside, the breezy air whips up the scent and surrounds me in a bubble of synthetic gardenia/jasmine scent. It's putrid and one of the worst scents I've encountered. It actually reminds me a lot of Sacred Whore of Babylon, except I like SWOB. This has incredible throw and the lasting power is beyond ridiculous for such a horrifying scent. I can't scrub it off with soap and water, either. After about an hour and fifteen minutes, the fake chemical scent dissipates, but I'm still left with a sour, white flower smell that reminds me of the smell of the bottom of a vase after flowers have been left rotting in the stagnant vase water for a couple of weeks. This is definitely not one I'll be trying again. I hope others have had better luck with it.

I thought I reviewed this, but I guess I haven't, so here goes:

this oil is very similiar in the bottle and on. Strong, and very heady jasmine....the same note that I get from The Caterpillar. But this is sweeter and more golden to me....I keep thinking honeyed jasmine though I'm not convinced there is honey in the blend, just that it has that sweet, heady richness about it. I could also see the possibility of vanilla in here or some sort of sugar....it is like candied jasmine, if that makes any sense. There is a slight spice to it as well, but not cinnamon...

Well, looking back over this, I see that YeahbutNo suggested Dragon's Blood, and while this doesn't scream dragon's blood to me, that would make sense, because it would give it a sweet spice that would blend well with the jasmine.

Whatever it is, I ADORE this scent. It makes me feel super sexy, and I get more compliments when wearing this than any other blend. And it lasts and lasts and has pretty decent throw. I've mixed it into my hair products so it wafts from my hair all day. Love it! :P

The stuff is teh sex to me, I can't even tell you guys. I'm sure that's some indication of having 2nd chakra issues or something (but who doesn't?)

There's definitely a very feminine, powerful floral in here, and it does smell very much like how dragon's blood smells on me--but it's not over the top. The orange color of the oil is another good clue that DB probably is a component.

That floral is nicely held in check by a musky, syrupy-sugar base that is just...guh. Love it. There seems to be a hint of something earthy or spicy--just a hint, and I'm thinking maybe a bit of patchouli. It's very subtle.

I could wear this every single day simply as perfume, but I don't because these Chakra blends are hella powerful. I use them with intention and a good dose of caution. But I'd wear this one on a date--it would be perfect for that. If I ever start dating again (not till I've resolved my 2nd chakra issues, methinks :P )

Swadhisthana smells like The Moon (gardenia) with resins---and maybe amber and lotus? It's really pretty and sensual. Radiates a kind of openness. This is the kind of blend I'd hesitate to wear in NYC as I think it would make me very approachable, and here that's not always something to be desired. But at home, or someplace where I can let down my guard---this would be wonderful.

I have no idea how to use the chakra oils, so I'm just commenting on the scents.

In the imp, it smells sweet and a little spicy. This oil has my favorite scent of all the chakra oils -- this one an Manipura are the only ones that I'd wear as perfume. The oil itself is orange, and it smells red to me. I can't tell what's in it, but it's really a lovely scent. It smells passionate.

This one is the only chakra oil I have a bottle of.

Edited by filigree_shadow

wet: sweet--dragon's blood and something else, possibly a light floral?

dry: sweet florals, mostly. possibly jasmine. it's a bit too sweet for me, but if I were to get this, I'd probably not be really wearing it as perfume anyway.

This is a very complex musky floral that's mostly jasmine on me for quite a while (my skin amps jasmine considerably). It's a soft, gentle musk maybe similar to the one in Bastet. There might be a touch of lotus and some spice in the background, and some light dulled citrus. It's more the smell of the white bit inside the peel than either the peel or the juice. The closest comparison I can make to other BPAL is possibly a sexier version of Sophia without the lavender. It's defintely sensual, and I can see the associations with this chakra. It's somehow too classically "sexy perfume" on me to see myself using it for meditation or other ritual, though. It would definitely be good for a social situation like a dance where I need to work on letting down my guard some.

First sniff: I haven’t tried the “top” three chakras yet, but starting with the Heart, they seem to be getting progressively darker. Like slightly deeper versions of the same shade of color. They’re all resiny-sweet, but get richer and more profound as they travel down the body. Swadhisthana is glorious. Almost all the sweetness is gone, and it’s a wonderful round rich resin.

Wearing: Round fruity resin, warm wood, and as it dries, a gorgeous deep musky base. It’s very red and slighty sweet and wonderful.

My initial impression of this is as rich and warm, comfortable. As I try to pick out notes, I get almost solely nuttyness. Looking over the other reviews, I am getting more and more convinced that the farther into the Chakras I go, the more bizarre my chemistry - or perhaps my Chakras - are...

i really cannot pick out any individual notes here. every time i try it, it's a lot different. it's very overpowering and gives me a bit of a headache. it smells... flowery, but dark and herbal at the same time. i'm sorry i can't be more eloquent!

Mainly a sweet scent with a little bit of baking-type spice. The notes are actually listed - not on the webpage devoted to the chakras, but they turn up if you use the Lab website's search engine. Thus a search for Swadhisthana reveals that it contains vanilla, nutmeg, orris root, gardenia, damiana, jasmine, patchouli, ylang, tangerine, bergamot, sandalwood, and oakmoss.

The jasmine is pretty prominent but instead of being a piercing scent, as it sometimes can be, it's very rounded by the other components and smells utterly delicious.

imp: bright citrus-y jasmine.

wet: the jasmine is certainly strongest here but the background notes are spicy and sweet. this may be the first jasmine i can wear.

dry: i'm not sure if there's another floral note in here, but the jasmine is competing with something sweet. this oil really does smell orange to me. how very interesting.