Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
drinbanana

Searching for the Perfect Vanilla?

Thanks so much for the help, and thanks for putting the descriptions, too. I am printing this out for future reference, maybe I will find some decants to buy. I've had my eye on Inez, and Hod sures sounds fabulous!

I tried Stimulating Sassafras and smelled no vanilla, it dried down to smelling like toothpaste on me. Weird. Do you think Dorian is more vanilla-ish than O or Mouse's Long and Sad Tale? I get so confused reading the reviews because of course it is different on everyone.

You know, it's funny that you mention smelling toothpaste... some BPAL vanillas end up smelling like wintergreen on me. Sadly, Dorian, The Illustrated Woman, and Love's Philosophy (and Inez, to a lesser extent) did that to me. I could definitely smell vanilla in all of them, but as they dried, this horrible minty smell would come out and ruin everything.

On me, Mouse's Long and Sad Tale was a quiet, mellow vanilla. It didn't have much else going on, and so I found it a little too bland. That being said, you might like its straight-forward vanilla-ness. I found Lyonesse (Wanderlust; Golden vanilla and gilded musk, stargazer lily, white sandalwood, grey amber, elemi, orris root, ambergris) to be similar, just a gentle vanilla without much complexity. O was more powdery and just... not very nice to my nose.

I should have included the caveat that I tend to amp vanilla, so your experience may be significantly different than mine. (Although I don't get vanilla from Snake Oil, either.)

Are you trying to limit yourself to a single imp?

I was going to get 2 bottles and 1 imp, I'm really struggling financially right now (See "How are you feeling" thread...) and with all the imps on the forum being cheap, I thought I shouldn't get more than 1 imp from the lab. Maybe I'll go through the for sale area and find some that you suggested. That's funny about the toothpaste, I figured it had something to do with sassafras. Mouse's sounds too faint, I always need a lot of oil. Dorian reviewers say lemon and lavender, so I'm sure that's what I'll smell. Thanks for answering me. :)

Antique Lace Nostalgia encapsulated. A soft, wistful blend of dry flowers, aged linens, and the faint breath of long-faded perfumes. reviews

On me it's not old linens and wispy flowers at all, it's a bright rich creamy vanilla with very long wear length and a good throw.

I love Mouse's... and do get primarily vanilla but also get a bit of the sandalwood too, I don't know how you are with woods but I just find it adds a bit of warmth ad the floral softens it. It's more of a cosy comfort scent to me. Antique Lace is definitely the heavier of the two.

Hmm, morocco is the vanilla sandalwood (hint of carnation) I reach for.

mouse turned into plastic, underpants was very in your face, and love's philosophy was too vanilla ice cream for me.

If you want more of a pure vanilla, I would go with either Mouse with the long sad tail or Antique Lace. I don't get florals in either and may agree that when I tried Mouse it didn't wow me. However, while wearing it, I did get two people compliment me, so maybe it smelled better than I thought. May have to retry that one.

Antique Lace also gets me compliments. It has a stronger throw and lasts long. Stays pretty consistent throughout. My friend who is a vanilla fanatic, but doesn't wear BPAL, loved this on me.

I love Snake oil aged, but I agree with you. It isn't a scent that I would call vanilla. HOwever, that being said...it's the one scent that iI originally didn't like at all, and now love. It's my comfort scent and one that people stop me and comment on.

Lyonesse, Bastet are more amber to my nose.

The Illustrated Woman has a pine note that seems to dominate it.

Morocco is lovely on my daughter , but had a strong incense smell to it on me.

Inez is smokey amber with vanilla.

I don't get any vanilla in Dorian. I just don't like it. Smells like lemon tea to me.

Dan O'Shee is pure honey with milk. No vanilla.

Tried Love's Philosophy once and remember a minty smell similar to toothpaste. I probably didn't give it enough time.

So, to summarize...my vote goes to Antique Lace and Mouse for that simple pure vanilla scent.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. I thought I had tried Antique Lace (and I do like sandle wood) but now see that I haven't so I will try A.L. And Mouse's. Morroco was just way too subtle for me, but it is nice. I like heavy scents.

While I recommended Mouse..., you might find it light since you like heavier scents.

I only just recently got to try Mouse's Long Sad Tale and wow, it really is the vanilla I've been searching for. On my chemistry Lyonesse is easily the best oriental spiced vanilla, but I put it on my mom and it was slightly aquatic on her. I smell wintergreen in Love's Philosophy, and Antique Lace is way too clean smelling for me, but Sassafrass Strengthener is the perfect rootbeer float. Hod to me was always carnations above all else. I never detected any cardamom or vanilla in it at all, although it was sometimes woodsy. I'm just saying that because I'd hate for anyone to start pining away for something so difficult to obtain. It's worth a try, but not worth stressing about ;)

My current 10mls worth of Snake Oil decanted into a roller bottle has just hit that age when it starts to smell like vanilla incense(about a year I think.) I must buy more to hide away for when I finish this decant.

Copagirl, have you tried Alice? This is a very creamy, light scent that to me smells milky with just a touch of carnation. It's not a pure vanilla but it's definitely in the vanilla ballpark.

Tempest, thanks for that info, good to know.

Parrot suspect, I haven't tried Alice, but it sounds good I will put it on my list of vanillas to try.

Beachbabealways, I have recently tried Tombstone and yes, I do love it. It smells more like cigar to me, with cedar and a little vanilla. These notes are what I love, slightly masculine, but I am looking for a less masculine smell to wear to work, one that most people will like. There are too many to choose from!! Well, I am getting to know more of what I like and what smells good on me, and what I can't stand to wear.

Aged Snake Oil reminded me of a drier Tombstone; where the T was a musky, warm vanilla, Snake Oil was a much more spicy vanilla.

Of course Black Lace would be the best vanilla I've tried so far. <_<

I really like BPALs vanilla orchid and find that it's very deep, lush and vanilla-y. I think people are a little worried about it going FLORAL!!! but for the most part it seems to behave. Regan is a perfect vanilla orchid with stephanotis and Opuhi (April Fool's LE from last year; pretty easy to find around the forums) is a sexy, vintage vanilla orchid/ginger blossom scent.

Thanks guys, more to add to my list! :) I think my problem with most of the vanilla's I've tried so far is my chemistry makes the vanilla take a giant step back almost into oblivion. :(

Does anyone know what Egg Nog Latte smells like? I love eggnog and nutmeg and cream, I'm thinking if this one has no rum or anything to muck it up, it may be delicious smelling! I can't find the reviews of it, only the other Egg Nog.

Thanks guys, more to add to my list! :) I think my problem with most of the vanilla's I've tried so far is my chemistry makes the vanilla take a giant step back almost into oblivion. :(

Does anyone know what Egg Nog Latte smells like? I love eggnog and nutmeg and cream, I'm thinking if this one has no rum or anything to muck it up, it may be delicious smelling! I can't find the reviews of it, only the other Egg Nog.

Eggnog Latte is pretty much a coffee latte scent. If you love the scent of cappuchinos or lattes then you will like it. If coffee is not what you are looking for, you need to find something else. If you aren't finding the reviews, it may be because it was an unreleased scent. It is here.

For a vanilla that will step forward? That's hard for me since I tend to amp vanillas slightly. I haven't tried Vanilla Orchid, but for a vanilla without other notes to take over, that might work best? Otherwise, aged Dorian would be a suggestion. Dorian really needs a few weeks to really shine, in my opinion.

Or, you can try to find some Love's Philosophy... Vanilla, cream, and saffron....It's an LE but I do occasionally see it around in the swaps. That might be simple enough for the vanilla to be noticable on you.

Tempest, thanks for that info, good to know.

Parrot suspect, I haven't tried Alice, but it sounds good I will put it on my list of vanillas to try.

Beachbabealways, I have recently tried Tombstone and yes, I do love it. It smells more like cigar to me, with cedar and a little vanilla. These notes are what I love, slightly masculine, but I am looking for a less masculine smell to wear to work, one that most people will like. There are too many to choose from!! Well, I am getting to know more of what I like and what smells good on me, and what I can't stand to wear.

I get mostly cedar too.

Well, I've tried a bunch of these that have been recommended, but haven't found anything like what I want. So now I'm wondering if anyone knows of a company that makes a great single note vanilla. I want it heavy and creamy and sweet. I'm thinking if I could add vanilla to some of these then I would like them more. Stupid skin chemistry!

We aren't supposed to talk about other companies on this thread, but you might want to check in the Bath, Beauty and Beyond subforum and ask for vanilla recommendations there - or, there might already be a thread. I am always on the hunt for my perfect vanilla, so I would be interested as well. ;)

I just wanted to mention that I tried Eclipse today, and while it was a bit wonky on my skin at first sniff, it dried down to what I consider a perfect vanilla.

We aren't supposed to talk about other companies on this thread, but you might want to check in the Bath, Beauty and Beyond subforum and ask for vanilla recommendations there - or, there might already be a thread. I am always on the hunt for my perfect vanilla, so I would be interested as well. ;)

Yeah a certain other company has recently come out with a vanilla line of products which are supposedly super-awesome, and that line includes a solid (I think..may be a liquid) perfume. I will be validating the super-awesomeness for myself over the weekend.

Thanks for the info, didn't know we shouldn't mention other companies. Wish the lab sold a single note, in a super big size! :)

I like Eclipse alot, but all I smell is cherry almond! (Which is fine with me)

I feel like I now and then come to the vanilla thread and say "Antique Lace" and leave for months.

But Antique Lace (besides being maybe my favorite BPAL in the world, though I dally with a lot of others) is on me sweet pure vanilla.

Maybe with marshmallows. But very vanilla.

So, copagirl, if you haven't tried that do. (and if you have and hated it, well that's fine, more for me!)

I am a vanilla lover, so just about anything with vanilla is a yes for me, and might not be for others.

Anyone else get vanilla from Haunted? it's been a while, but I seem to recall it was vanilla/musk-ish, sort of Shalimar in feeling (which surely dates me).

Aura Cacia makes a Vanilla Absolute that is diluted in jojoba oil (to make it affordable!). Check at your local Whole Foods; they will very likely carry it, or can order it for you. :D

copagirl, I haven't tried this yet myself, but hope it helps you. :D

Thanks for the info, didn't know we shouldn't mention other companies. Wish the lab sold a single note, in a super big size! :)

I like Eclipse alot, but all I smell is cherry almond! (Which is fine with me)

Here is the link to the post from the mod.

" I've noticed that people are recommending non-BPAL perfumes in their posts here a little more often lately. This really isn't appropriate here, and I'd like to ask you all to keep such discussions of other brands in the subforum designated for them, Retail Therapy, from now on. (This does not apply to posts seeking BPAL scents that are similar to a favorite perfume from another source - those continue to be welcome, of course.)

Recs is part of the section of subforums dedicated to Lab discussion, and its intent is for members to be able to seek others' advice about BPAL blends they aren't familiar with themselves. For another member to respond to a request by recommending a scent from a department store line, another e-tailer, or any source other than the Lab is a bit disrespectful of this subforum's purposes, the Lab, and the original poster, who came here looking for BPAL recs.

Please feel free to PM me if you have any comments or questions about this or other issues in Recommendations. I don't feel like this is a huge problem yet, and I'm certainly not angry with anyone who may have done this previously. However, since we now have over 6000 members and are adding new members every day, I felt that spelling this guideline out was important.

Thanks, everyone, for your enthusiastic participation in Recommendations!"