Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
drinbanana

Searching for the Perfect Vanilla?

Okay I have discovered my guy LOVES Antique Lace (join the club bud) and he wanted to slather himself in it and diffuse it so I had to explain that it is very precious. I gave him an imp of The Lights of Men's Lives as a non-foody vanilla alternative and he really liked it and I am wondering if there are other ones that you guys would recommend? Masculine leaning would be interesting but I honestly don't think it matters to him as long as it isn't a super-sugar-floral explosion.

has he tried Dorian?
I thought of that one (when will it come back in stock??) Would Theodosius be similar enough? I have a hard time distinguishing foody vs. nonfoody in descriptions

Theodosius is quite similar, I think, and I actually like it better. I have often thought it would smell just as good on a guy. It's fantastic.

Does anyone know of any scents similar to Zorya P? I am absolutely in love with the blueness of the vanilla.

I tried Pediophobia and I think the tobacco gave me similar impressions, but it just wasn't "blue" enough, if that makes sense?

Edited by hroki97

Does anyone know of any scents similar to Zorya P? I am absolutely in love with the blueness of the vanilla.

I tried Pediophobia and I think the tobacco gave me similar impressions, but it just wasn't "blue" enough, if that makes sense?

I'm sorry for suggesting a rare, but Edith Cushing could be it. It's definitely similar with the whispy ethereal vanilla and ambergris. Ava from the Only Lovers Left Alive is also in the same family, as is Butterflies, Flowers, and Jewels Attending...also HTF

Lyonesse could be a GC close cousin.

Edited by sprout

I'm sorry for suggesting a rare, but Edith Cushing could be it. It's definitely similar with the whispy ethereal vanilla and ambergris. Ava from the Only Lovers Left Alive is also in the same family, as is Butterflies, Flowers, and Jewels Attending...also HTF

Lyonesse could be a GC close cousin.

Thank you for the recommendations, sprout!

I might have to sell my soul to try Edith but I do have a decant of Ava! lol

While I don't mostly think of it as a vanilla scent, the overall moods of Lullaby and Zorya P feel very similar to me. Lullaby is more lavender to me than vanilla, though it does list vanilla orchid. I think the mood comes from the moonflower-vanilla combination that they share. I get such a gossamer, night-fairy feeling from it.

I wonder if that would be worth playing with?

Apologies to necrobump this, but does anyone know of any vanillas that are similar in feel to Paper Phoenix, aside from the obvious AL and Dorian? I love the nature of Paper Phoenix, and would love to try more scents in a similar feeling

On 6/13/2020 at 8:30 PM, clockworkcrypt said:

Apologies to necrobump this, but does anyone know of any vanillas that are similar in feel to Paper Phoenix, aside from the obvious AL and Dorian? I love the nature of Paper Phoenix, and would love to try more scents in a similar feeling

I love Paper Phoenix! I would try Spinning On Graves, Silver Lace & Tattered Lace. They all have a vanilla musk base with some brighter notes. I find them cheerful & comforting. 

On 6/13/2020 at 11:30 PM, clockworkcrypt said:

I haven't tried Paper Phoenix.  However, I would suggest you try Rendezvous with Her Lover Behind the Rice Straws, from this year's Lupers.  I mention it because I get a pretty strong AL vibe, even though there's no vanilla listed in the notes.  And a few of the reviews do mention vanilla.  Worth a shot!  : )

4 hours ago, alterosen said:

I love Paper Phoenix! I would try Spinning On Graves, Silver Lace & Tattered Lace. They all have a vanilla musk base with some brighter notes. I find them cheerful & comforting. 

Oooo, spinning on graves might just be the trick if the grass isn't too heavy! And the other laces sound lovely as well, it's good to know that there are others in the family

3 hours ago, forspecial_plate said:

I haven't tried Paper Phoenix.  However, I would suggest you try Rendezvous with Her Lover Behind the Rice Straws, from this year's Lupers.  I mention it because I get a pretty strong AL vibe, even though there's no vanilla listed in the notes.  And a few of the reviews do mention vanilla.  Worth a shot!  : )

Augh, I remember considering this but being worried about the Hay! I have no idea how long the Lupers will be up, but if this is still available by the time I make my next lab order (I'm going through a bit of a testing phase right now), I might have to get a bottle, the reviews seem quite favourable!

On 2/11/2018 at 1:25 PM, hroki97 said:

• I tried In A Whispering Gallery recently (Marbled white iris, white tobacco flower, Italian bergamot, white leather, and Mysore sandalwood ) and it reminded me quite a bit of Zorya P.  There's no vanilla listed but it seems like there's some in there.