Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
drinbanana

Searching for the Perfect Vanilla?

I was going to suggest Antique Lace :P

Seconded! :D

Dang it.... I amped the linen/indistinct florals in Antique Lace and boy, did I get a headache. I'm going to try it at other points in my monthly chemistry cycle, but so far it doesn't seem to be working out. From my other explorations, I have a growing suspicion about the Lab's linen note--on me it's so cold I get an ice-cream headache.

I did try Tombstone, and that vanilla note is of the WOW. It's very distinctive, as well-- unsweet, but still warm. I think it is the vanilla I seek, as long as that sassafras stays very low in the mix. For prosterity's sake, though, I gotta ask, has anyone caught the the Tombstone vanilla elsewhere?

Reading this thread today I found myself thinking...I wonder if there is a scent that combines roses and vanilla?? (yeah, I can go searching, but I'm feeling lazy).

Sorry Antique Lace didn't work for you, whitemyrrh. Trying to think of my other vanilla faves (I like vanilla in just about anything, it would seem) but most are probably too heavy for what you seem to be seeking...Golden Priapus (vanilla and pine?), Black Opal (vanilla and who knows what else, but gee it is lovely)...

Reading this thread today I found myself thinking...I wonder if there is a scent that combines roses and vanilla?? (yeah, I can go searching, but I'm feeling lazy).

Sorry Antique Lace didn't work for you, whitemyrrh. Trying to think of my other vanilla faves (I like vanilla in just about anything, it would seem) but most are probably too heavy for what you seem to be seeking...Golden Priapus (vanilla and pine?), Black Opal (vanilla and who knows what else, but gee it is lovely)...

Antique Lace might be one more for the summer, actually--so far the bpal vanilla smells entirely different on me from one season to the next! Dorian I love, I also got that from you, but for the vanilla touched white musk that emerges at the end rather than the fresh/wet version. And Tombstone is on order for a big bottle as of today. Everyone compliments me when I wear it!

I do want to try Golden Priapus as well.

And heck yeah, bring on the rose/vanilla! Kamala has a scent called "Moon Shadow" that combines them, but it's a very Indian rose combined with that almost invisible Kamala vanilla. I'd LOVE to see what Beth could do with those notes together.

Lyoneese! I think I have posted 10 times about it today...but I love it! A vanilla aquatic that loves me. It just may love you, too!

jarvenpa, I did a search and the only GC fragrances I could pin down to contain both rose and vanilla are Euphrosyne (tea rose, though, and it also has jasmine... I like it, but pretty much I smell sort of a gardenia-touched jasmine when I try it) and Desire (which seems to have a LOT of other stuff going on besides, some of it being stuff that doesn't generally agree with me--who knows, though? I'll put it on my list.)

When I expand my search to include limited/discontinued, I get a few others:

Khajuraho, which I've been told has roses and vanilla from the get, but which I've only ever sort of smelled vanilla in (and it's more a vanilla-like creaminess behind everything else)

Bearded Lady, which might have "attack of the jasmine" syndrome, and

The Haunted Place, a fragrance which I cry out to the heavens, infrequently, for JUST discovering BPAL when the run on it ended--I was still too afraid of LEs to try it! :P Except but the blood orange, it might have ruinned it on me anyway. *sniff* (Hey--sour grapes, anyone?!)

So far, that intruder Moonshadow might still be in the lead. Though I'm wondering, right now, what would happen if I layered Snake Oil with Black Rose...

I still think Underpants was the best vanilla, but only after I wore it for a good hour or two for the butterrum to fade. Very smooth and creamy. I have yet to find a vanilla so creamy since.

Though I'm wondering, right now, what would happen if I layered Snake Oil with Black Rose...

Surprise! I get... Snake Oil. A slightly floral variation. Very slightly. Maybe if I just put a tiny little bit with a LOT of Black Rose... or maybe if I layered Black Rose with O instead.....

I've almost managed an answer for this, here, but not quite, so I'm just going to ask exactly. :P

I'm looking for a vanilla specifically reminiscent of a blown out old-fashioned vanilla candle. By "old fashioned" i mean one that hasn't been super-imbuled with fragrance, just a subtle warmth of fragrance--that real foody-buttery-powerful vanilla feels too modern to me. I want a more.... vintage--mysterious and gently warm vanilla, kind of smoky and retiring.

The vanilla in O and Velvet are nice, but a little too strong for what I'm looking for, and Velvet tends to be more about the other notes for me--while O gets a little too sexual for the purposes I seek.

Am I looking for Antique Lace?

This is EXACTLY what happens to Dragon's Milk on me - i've just posted a review describing it as a "blown-out vanilla candle" ;-)) I also get a little toasted coconut in there too.

Regan is my hands-down best vanilla. Just a little bit of floral, and so much creamy, yet fresh, vanilla goodness. It's cold like lotion or yogurt.

:P

Though I'm wondering, right now, what would happen if I layered Snake Oil with Black Rose...

Surprise! I get... Snake Oil. A slightly floral variation. Very slightly. Maybe if I just put a tiny little bit with a LOT of Black Rose... or maybe if I layered Black Rose with O instead.....

OMG, I'm trying all of these tonight. Wow.

Edited by LadyMedb

For a "candle-like," buttery vanilla, try Gluttony or Hollywood Babylon. Or Lyonesse, for that matter. All of these are foody and warm. You might also like Eclipse, which is a spicy vanilla.

Morocco is a very pretty, sophisticated Vanilla.

Monsterbait: Underpants is a foody vanilla

Snake Charmer has a touch of vanilla, but personally I wouldn't describe it as a vanilla scent. In fact, all the other BPAL scents said to be vanilla ish do not smell vanilla like to my nose (that includes Snake Oil, O, Dorian, Dragon's Milk and Dana O'Shee) -though they are lovely in their own right. I think it's because BPAL often uses vanilla bean instead of vanilla absolute? Not sure. In any case, the first two I thought smelled the most like a "true" vanilla.

Edited by talula_fairie

I'm looking for as plain a vanilla bean as is possible. I've found that I love wearing TKO to bed, then by morning the lavender has all but completely gone then layering the remaining vanilla, which is still quite strong on me, with Priala. I'd just like to be able to do that combo without planning it the night before. It'd probably be fine with a light woodsy or spice touch, maybe even a wee herby but not floral at all I don't think.

Thanks for any help :P

The closest TKO-ish vanilla I have found was in Tokyo Stomp. Of course, TS added mint to the mix. The mint burned off fairly quickly and left a sweet, round, buttermint behind. Maybe look into some blends with cereus or orchid vanill notes. I find that those tend to round out quite well.

I'm looking for a spicy vanilla - not too sweet but more like a cup of vanilla chai tea.

I tried Snake Oil but it smelled too much like incense. O smells too much like honey. Misk U is lovely but more caramel and coffee.

From the description - "dark, sugared vanilla tea" - Dorian might be a contender, but the "fougere and three pale musks" concerns me.

Any suggestions?

This is EXACTLY what happens to Dragon's Milk on me - i've just posted a review describing it as a "blown-out vanilla candle" ;-)) I also get a little toasted coconut in there too.

Yep, that's what I get from Dragon's Milk too. Minus the coconut.

Antique Lace is pure vanilla on me.

I'm going to get a handful of things for The Boy one of these days and I'm particularly looking for something that smells of vanilla but isn't too sweet.

On him, we like: Belladonna, The Raven, Antony, Death on a pale horse.

We don't like: anything with lotus as he amps it up like crazy. Libertine as his skin swallows it in seconds. He swallows roses too. Croquet goes soapy on him. He seems to make everything smell extra sweet and extra floral. He's not a big fan of musk. He loves a particular brand of vanilla single note (but I want him to smell of something more interesting than custard).

Is there anything like a vanilla-patchouli or herby-vanilla or something like that???

I feel almost dumb suggesting this, but have you tried Snake Oil? It's the definitive spicy vanilla with patchouli. People have also recommended Vixen which has a similar feel but doesn't have vanilla as one of the listed notes (orange blossom, patchouli, ginger).

What about Golden Priapus and The Bow and Crown of Conquest? These smell fantastic on my husband and I don't even like vanilla. :P