Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Dulci

Baron Samedi

A notorious voodoo priest, who eventually rose to become one of the funereal Guédés, alongside Baron Cimitère and Baron La Croix. He is a Guardian of the Crossroads: the pathways between our world and the realm of the spirits. As a Master of the Graveyard, he ensures that burial rites are performed with skill, and he helps ferry souls to the dark realm. In his honor, we have created this scent: our spin on traditional Bay Rum.

Baron Samedi

In the imp: A hint of Bay Rum, spice and something else. I can't place it. It's a bit too earthy for me.

On my skin: Cigarette ashes and swamp water. I wanted to like you, Baron Samedi, but I don't think you're the scent for me.

Imp: almonds

Wet: Bay Rum

Drydown: Bay Rum, smoky vetiver. It's slightly herbal, earthy and bitter.

Overall: This is a masculine scent, but wearable on a woman. IMO It's a dark scent, but not heavy. It's got almost a clean feel to it. It must be some herbal note and the Bay Rum. Bay Rum tends to smell clean, like the way a lot of men's colognes do, on my skin. This is a date night scent, perfect for a warm summer night. ;)

I definitely get more clove than rum, but it's kind of an unpleasant smell... like cloves marinating in a glass of rum that has sat out for a week. It's not right for my skin and additionally smells rather masculine on me.

This doesn't smell at all like the description to me. At first I smell something generically floral, wet cigarettes and... ham. Seriously. It's gross. The floral fades and the salty ham smell becomes more clearly almond. A very salty, hammy almond, not sweet at all. I don't get rum at all. This is probably the worst one yet. I'm not sure what a rancid almond smells like but it might be this.

Edit: A little while later it morphed into mostly vetiver, not nearly as offensive as the initial phase, but no where near saved it for me.

Edited by HKB

Ick. Bay rum smells like manly BO on me, which is probably why Jolly Roger failed so spectacularly on me. I'll pass this on to a better home.

It's spicy, sweet, and a bit of wood. It's spiced rum in a barrel.

this was a really strange blend. wet it smells like sweet maraschino cherries and almonds but dry it smells like fall spices (cinnamon, clove, etc). i cant stand the spice smells so this one was a no go for me

Wet. Almond, where is that coming from? It dries to a faint, spicy musky blend with a touch of vetiver. For some reason, I do not get rum, but this is a brand new imp from the lab. OK, well maybe a VERY slight touch of rum, but I wouldn't have known it was there unless I peaked at the description. OK, but I don't need a bottle.

And now, it's time to try the good Baron. In the imp, I'm getting something like vetiver. Oh, no, please, bay rum, don't be vetiver on me. It is a note of nasty and doom.

On my skin, the Baron smells like what I'm pretty sure is rum, with a vetiver undertone that's not taking over and is a bit more woody, which is very good. The Baron seems to be a cousin to Mad Sweeney, here, smelling of wood and a hint of booze, which makes me think he's going to benefit from some aging.

Right now, he's not anything I want a bottle of, but he's going into the aging corner of my drawer, where he may soon be joined by Snake Oil, depending on whether or not the imp I just got from the lab is fresh or not. I'll visit him again in six months and see how he's doing then, and make a bottle decision from there.

Imp: Vetiver, almonds and a bit of rum.

Wet: Uh... carrot peelings? Yeah, carrot peelings. Weird. And a bit of vetiver. Almond goes on strong then burns off.

Dry: Ugh. Vetiver and carrot peelings. Touch of honey sweetness. It's... odd. Carroty. Weird. Like making dinner while wearing single note vetiver. Not really having a good time here.

Throw: Moderate.

Overall: I don't mind the smell of carrots but don't want to smell like them. Interesting chemistry experience.

This scent goes from Sweet Almonds to VETIVER Very quickly and doesn't change at all. I get no rum...no bay...no anything really.

Off to swaps.

:cry2:

Baron Samedi

In the Vial: VETIVER! Ew.

Wet: VETIVER! Ew. Shifting to... mm, bay rum!

Drydown: Now it's spicy. A good spicy. Mmm. Wait, now it's just overwhelmingly spices. In fact, now this is like, a baby powdery spice.

Verdict: I think this is a bit much for me. Too bad, I love in the in-between stage with the bay rum and a touch of the spices. Wish my skin didn't amp spices so much.

Sweet Marzipan!! Almond and smoke.

That is all.

A very pleasant smell that invokes images of hunky shirtless men on pirate ships. Great for a room scent (or the imagination.) Not on me I’m afraid.

Oof. I get hints of almond, cherry, and cinnamon from this... but vetiver kills blends dead on my skin, and indeed its musty funk beats everything else here into the ground.

In imp: Smokey. Meaty! Love me the vetiver.

Wet: Smoke is lifting. Spices are starting to settle in....nice.

Dry: Spicy. Incensy. I like it. I don't smell any Bay Rum. I do like the scent though. Once you get past the smoke, it takes you in with it's sugary spice. :P

Just got my Imp's Ears today, and this was one of the scents I ordered. Compared to my other bay rum cologne, this is definitely more muted, though it shares a bit of the tobacco note as the other. On my wrist, it's almost got a talcum powder scent at first, but that fades pretty quickly to a more earthy and woodsy scent. The rum's pretty subtle, but there.

Not quite what I was expecting, but a nice scent nonetheless. Looking forward to reporting my other scents as I try them out!

file under: hmm, that's an experience

Frimped to me by a lovely forumite...I seriously love random frimps just for the experience...In the imp and wet this is seriously earthy, a little sweet, a little herby...like the mud you'd get by spilling root beer on the ground. As it dried it got a little smoky, a little more bitter, and just...um, yeah. Thankfully I have the practice of trying iffy scents right before a shower.

And here's a surprise...Drown Baron Samedi and he behaves? The minute water hit my arm I got this lovely waft of scent that I could not identify at all as something I had on, but sure enough, I smelled my test spot and it's really nice. In place of the funky soda dirt I now have a clean, tangy bay with undertones of lime and pine to my nose. Masculine, but not overly so, and now I can't stop sniffing my arm. I seriously might wear this in the summertime, just have to let it dry on my skin and then splash it with water. :lol:

This smells like strong and smokey vetiver to me. I really like smokey vetiver scents, but I'm kind of wishing I got some boozy rum or the almond that other people mention.

Let's see.... Dirt? Vetiver? Maybe a slight sweetness in the background. Don't like it at all...

Well, this is a dividend of my policy to try every single frimp I get. I wouldn't have been interested in it from the description and I've never smelled Bay Rum, but I really like it. It begins with a baylike fragrance -- I know the West Indian bay isn't the same species as the bay laurel, but it smells similar enough to be recognizable -- warms into a spicy clove for a while and then settles down into something closer to the skin with the bay, clove and a subtle earthiness. Maybe vetiver?

Really pretty sexy and not at all as masculine as I would have expected, I think this is an excellent unisex blend.

Edited by odalisque

In bottle: Wood and rum

Wet: Wood ash, the lingering trace of smoke, and rum, definitely a fitting scent for the Baron.

Dry: I was expecting more of a boozy debauched scent. Instead it smells like someone poured a token drink over the last remains of a fragrant fire. Solemn but not sad, a joyful celebration of death.

Notes: Not one of those everyday scents for me but I definitely like it. We’ll see how long the imp lasts.

Baron Samedi is not for me, I can tell from the first whiff in the imp, which reminds me of salty sweat.

On my skin, it has the salty feel plus a strong hit of cloves. Salty spice. Luckily not sweat anymore, at least.

It doesn't gel into anything coherent on me, and I'm not really interested enough to keep sniffing all the way through dry-down.

In the vial this smells of a dark, caramelised vetivert which is both strong and pungent. On my skin it lightens a shade, and cloves start to appear in the background, although they are swathed in the same sugared vetivert. I don't really pick up on the almonds others speak of, because the vetivert is practically all-pervasive, bar the cloves. After a few hours the vetivert eventually fades and leaves a slightly sweet, slightly clove-scented boozy scent.

However, I don't think this scent is my style as the strong and pungent vetivert hangs around for too long.