UltraViolet

Sed Non Satiata

120700613.jpg

Strange goddess, brown as evening to the sight,

Whose scent is half of musk, half of havanah,

Work of some obi, Faust of the Savanah,

Ebony witch, and daughter of the night.

By far preferred to troth, or opium, or sleep,

Love vaunts the red elixir of your mouth.

My caravan of longings seeks in drouth

Your eyes, the wells at which my cares drink deep.

Through those black eyes, by which your soul respires,

Pitiless demon! pour less scorching fires.

I am no Styx nine times with flame to wed.

Nor can I turn myself to Proserpine

To break your spell, Megera libertine!

Within the dark inferno of your bed.

A pounding heartbeat coalesced into scent: demonic passion and brutal sexuality manifested through myrrh, red patchouli, cognac, honey, and tuberose and geranium in a breathy, panting veil over the darkest body musk.

In the bottle

It's a pale orange liquid.

Mmm. Warm musk, sensual and quite beautiful. I couldn't believe how wonderful it smelled when I sniffed the imp. :P

On

Oh man this is a 5 star blend, I can tell already.

The Tuberose, Honey and Musk act as this sexy sweet warm sensuality over the dark myrrh, cognac and patchouli. This is absolutely fabulous on my skin.

30 minutes

The dark musk is not primary now but still there, the thick myrrh and light floral are present now with the warmth of the other scents.

Throw:

Some

Scent category:

foody/incensy/floral

Summary

Initially it's warm and sensual and a tad sweet, just right.

Then it becomes a bit less romantically playful and darker as it dries with the myrrh, patchouli and cognac , all the while a wee floral soapiness springs up from the tuberose and geranium. It all goes together so well.

Purchase again?

Yes, a 10ml.

1-5 rating (5 being best)

So excited about this scent:

Bottle: orange-y oil. Like apricot jam.

Sniff: The honey and the musk jump right out at me. Deliciously languid. Like your nuzzling your lover post-coitus.

Wet: The cognac peeks its head out.

5 Minute Mark: Geranium is saying hello. All the while the honey and the musk are having their way with my skin. This is an utterly entrancing scent. It's lulling me into this drugged, opium-den-of-sin type mood.

30 Minutes: Patchouli is now in the mix. Came out last on me. Myrrh, I think, and the musk and the honey are the primary notes, with the florals and the patchouli making cameos every now and then.

Throw: I swiped my wrist once with the applicator wand. I've measured 8 inches from nose to wrist to get the first whiff, just on that light application.

Buy Again: Will be ordering a 10ml with the next moon purchase.

Overall: Gloriously sexy scent. And versatile. Can use this as a room scent, or with scrubbies, or with soaps. Absolutely delicious!

Rating: 5. Even when I can't smell the scent, I'm still *thinking* about the beguiling nature of it. Beth: you are a god.

ETA: Just now noticed that I caught something that smelled like a particularly musky candle that just got blown out. I think it's that bite of myrrh and patchouli interacting. But it's not smoky. Hard to describe, but it's there. Mmmmm.

Edited by Bellatrix

Wet - omg this smells as good as I hoped it would! Patchouli, cognac and honey are the first notes I notice. Sweet, boozy and dark!

Dry - wow, this is strong patchouli now. I think that this and Alone contain Fritz's patchouli, which is earthy and dark. As this dries the cognac and honey burn off, leaving primarily patchouli and a bit of myrrh behind. After awhile even they fades, leaving a soft, lovely skin musk.

This is nice, but not what I was expecting. I was hoping for more sweetness and booze, and while I get that when wet, it fades away much too quickly. I think this is an oil that will benefit from aging, so I plan on coming back and testing it again in a few months, but for now, I am a tiny bit disappointed with it. But then again, that's only because this is the scent I was looking forward to the most.

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being best, this rates a 4.

I should preface this review by saying that I am not in any way, shape, or form a fan of patchouli - in fact, it often gives me a headache. So, I wasn't sure I'd be a fan of Sed Non Satiata.

That said, when immediately applied to the skin, Sed Non Satiata is one of the sexiest things I've ever smelled. Immediately on, it's musk, honey, and something spicy.

This grows increasingly spicy as it dries - it's myrrh, patchouli, or some combination of the two; the musk is still evident, as sort of a grounding base, but the sweet, honeyed scent is gone. Ultimately, it's still sexy, but it's not quite me.

Of course, those Bpalers out there who love patchouli or myrrh are going to adore this.

Ah, so sad :P . When I read the description for Sed Non Satiata, my heart skipped a beat, it sounded so perfect. And when I first opened the imp, I got excited all over again, it smells glorious. I smelled a flash of wonderful honey sweetness, musk and spices as I touched the wand to my skin and then blam.... nada. The scent just disappeared. After about 5 minutes that kind of dirt smell I associate with black patchouli (not the red that is listed) emerged, it was ok but not as glorious as the red patchouli in other BPAL blends. After waiting an hour, I got a faint sense of cognac as the patchouli disappeared. I'm afraid this is just one of those blends that's in my olfactory blind spot. It left this bunny very non satiata.

Initial Sniff: OMFG. Sweet, thick, absolutely sexual. Honey, musk, and orange.... *pant*

Wearing: Ummmm... I get peanut butter. With tuberose and geranium. Seriously. It is an odd and foul combination.It is like I dipped my arm in peanut butter and sprayed it with some floral perfume. After an hour or so the nuttiness fades and the honey and myrrh come out to play with the florals, and that is quite nice indeed.

Final Impressions: Sorry, but the drydown is not worth the hour I sent smelling like Jif Extra Chunky. At least it was good for a laugh!

Oh, wonderful musk here. I don't know why, but it makes me think of chocolate, at first, though I know that's not what I'm smelling. It's the honey/cognac mix, probably, if I were to guess. It's strange, a strange mix, and really hard to pin down. I'm not sure the casual passer-by would be as enamoured of this as I am, though. It's very, very sexual. There's a patchouli base, but not one that's readily identifiable, since it's blended so well. The red gives it a little touch of spice over the honey and cognac. I don't catch this as floral at any point, thankfully (not my thing). But oh, it's gorgeous. Such a keeper.

Mmm... this is quite a sexy blend. It is a fiery golden sort of scent, starting out with the honey, myrrh, and patchouli. I normally don't like honey, but it is rounding out the blend nicely in this case. I also normally don't like musk, but it is just so seductive in the drydown of Sed Non Satiata. The honey fades away within the first hour for me... but this is still amazing.

For some reason, this makes me think of dark dance clubs... pulsating bodies and flashing lights in the darkness. It makes me feel very warm and energetic as well.

Perhaps a 5 ml is in order? :P

Sed Non Satiata smells like peanut butter and honey to me! I keep checking because it seems so improbable, but that's what I'm getting. There is definitely a sexy gourmand edge to it, and I can see it falling into the same kind of category as O or La Petite Mort, but the peanutty/honey combo is throwing me for a loop.

Being a patchouli kind of girl, I'd love to smell more patchouli in this (patchouli haters, take heart---it's incredibly well blended!). I think a lot of people will like this, but on my skin it seems to be going in a strange direction. The drydown is much better, it's musky-sweet and pretty nice. But I don't think I can handle the 'nut phase.'

This has one of the greatest arcs from imp to dry-down of any BPAL I've tried - right next to Hecate. My first sniff left me very disappointed, because the description was so tantalizing - it was an off-putting astringent blend of the geranium and what I would swear was orange. But I tried it and holy cow, it dried down to a subtle warmth of patchouli, myrrh and musk that is very sexy. It reminds me of a more sophisticated version of my old junior high perfume, Bonne Bell's Skin. That might sound awful, but this is really very nice.

In the imp: Musky, earthy, sharp. The strongest note has a very synaesthetic effect on me; it smells like running your hand over a piece of highly polished mahogany.

On, wet: Tuberose over that sharp, smooth note. After a while it goes a little sweeter. There's an almost resin-like aspect to it; is that the patchouli, maybe?

Drydown: The tuberose balances out nicely with the other elements -- musk, myrrh, patchouli. Never really got much of the honey or cognac, except somewhere in the background, perhaps.

This is a very rich and complex scent. I'll be keeping the imp, thanks, and depending on how it might mellow out over the next few months, I might get a bottle for the long term too.

In bottle: Red patchouli, myrrh, a booziness and a sweetness that can only be honey. It is a musky, dusky scent - with a slight nuttiness to it. I'm not sure what the 'nuttiness' could be. There's a certain floral creaminess in the deepest depths of the fragrance.

On me: Musk. Dark body musk indeed; that seems to be all the fragrance becomes on me. It really seems nutty, too, which is weird - I mean, what note could possibly suggest that?

This was the first time I'd tried a 5 ml without testing an imp first, which may have been a mad thing to do since it's a catalogue scent.

In the bottle: Hmm. I'm getting the peanut butter and honey smell that some others have reported. Pleasant in a way, but not quite what I was looking for.

Wet: There's still a fair bit of peanut butter and honey, and something sharp and kind of sweaty. I want so badly for this one to work, but it's an oddball one on me so far. Still, scents can improve a lot with a bit of time, so I'll wait it out.

Drying: Okay, it is improving -- less sweat, anyway -- but the hint of Reese's Peanut Butter Cups is lingering. Other than that, it's quite musky and dark, which is an odd contrast to the Reese's. Starting to smell the cognac, but again it seems odd with the other notes. It just doesn't cohere on me, somehow; it's like it's all in pieces which don't come together properly.

Seems to fade somewhat quickly, though that may be just that I didn't put much on.

I'm afraid this one may just not be right for me, but I'm not ready to give up on it yet -- I'll age it for a while and see what happens.

Bottle: Smells faint, seems there's some amber here, and something nutty??

On my skin: There's a nuttiness I get in aged Sin that I'm getting here. However, unlike the sultriness that overpowers the nuttiness in Sin, all I'm getting is the nuts with this blend.

Dry: Strange, but I can't smell anything but the nutty note. I wonder what it is because I'd like to avoid it in future.

Talk about being in your scent blind spot, as I believe Clover once coined it. :P

Off to someone who will better appreciate you, my lovely!

An inital shot of booze with sweet honey...not as green as O or Jezebel. Drying down there is the soft floral of tuberose...with geranium (whom I wish was not there...but mellows out considerably once dry). The musk and red patchouli with the sweetness of the honey are creating a tonka like accord~earthy, sweet, and very sexy. The myrrh gives the blend a unified tang. I am not getting much throw, but you'll just have to get a little closer...

Lovely, dark, and brooding...this is a very special scent that must be given time and maturity to appreciate. I would liken it to Snake Oil in that respect, and also in it's depth and complexity...like Snake Oil's brooding sister. It is glorious. I must have more.

Edited to add: I revisited Satiata after falling in love (and then being abandoned!) by Smut. It is my new "wear to bed" :P scent. The drydown is pure sex.

Edited by lookingglass

Hmm. I got a little of this on my hand when I just intended to sniff it, and even from just a drop I immediately (alas!) got the 'peanut butter' note a few others have described. For about ten minutes, I get a mix of powdery florals, something that must be the 'body musk'... and peanut butter. It's a bit jarring.

Now that it's dried down, I get honeyed musk (quite reminiscent of O) and a bit of fruitiness that I think must be the cognac. It's pretty, but still a little powdery for my taste, and between that and the 'peanut butter' phase, I think this might be best suited for someone else's skin chemistry.

Sed Non Satiata: This one is different, I smell the Honey and I guess musk and a little patchouli. To me it smells like Snake Charmer without the plum. the drydown is a little related to Snake Oil. I cant make out any othe the other notes but it is nice. A 5ml is enough for me. :P

Mmmmm, sweet and...oh no. Just like some of the others have said: Peanut butter! I'd read the reviews but hoped I wouldn't be one of the ones who got nuts. There's a perfumey hint in the background, but mostly it's peanutty. And I was so looking forward to this one. Why oh why oh why…Oh. Oh my. Moments later, this just blooms! I was heading to the kitchen to fix myself peanut butter and honey on toast, but I think I'll take myself to the bedroom instead! A warm muskiness, all honeyed and sweet, the barest hint of floral in the background (though I can't discern them as tuberose or geranium) and there’s still a touch of peanuts, but it's much softer now and more of a complement than an all-pervading nut scent. I think it could be the red patchouli and myrrh doing the nut impression, but I'm not completely sure. The red patchouli isn't very earthy and woody like usual patchouli to me either. I'm not picking up on the cognac, but it could be in there mixing in with the rest of the notes. Sadly for me though, Satiata quickly dries down to a lightly warm musk, with a hint of dry dustiness, but it's lost that initial 'wow' on me. It's become just...pleasant...so won't be a full size goer for me.

In the imp, this scent was sweet, exotic and a little elusive... I can't put my finger on exactly what I'm smelling.

The inital application did the most fascinating morph. It went on buttery-sweet, but within 15 second, something much more pungent and snappy emerged. But within in a minute or two after that, I'd gotten the dreaded peanut butter effect. It was like peanut butter with patchouli. Within in hour, the peanut butter scent had departed, leaving a strong smoky/floral scent. It was almost too strong for me. I would guess that this was the myrrh and the floral components taking over the rest of the blend. About 3 hours later, it had mellowed out into a nice patchouli base with a drift of musk. Very pretty.

So I got up this morning and took a shower, and I can still smell the remains of Sed Non Satiata on the top of my hand, where I applied over 12 hours ago! It's a musky patchouli smell. Talk about lasting power...

I really wanted to like this scent, I love the inspiration behind it, and I think it's a gorgeous blend. If I didn't have to go through 4 hours of not-so-pleasant morphs to get to the last drydown, I'd love it. But I increasingly find that complex blends just don't work well with my body chemistry. :P I may try cutting this scent down with a carrier oil to see what happens.

valentina

straight up from the imp this is all peanut butter....... :P :D

upon application the myrrh, honey, cognac and patchouli all shine

through gorgeously!!!!!!! omg, this is one positively amazingly

beautiful blend!!!! it reminds me ever so slightly of all saints 2005....

it is the incense of the myrrh, i think........

all the lab's honey blends work amazingly well with my chemistry

and this one is no exception.....

a big bottle of this needs to be ordered.......without a doubt!!!!!

Edited by sookster

I am so sad. I posted about this one in the "Heartbreak" thread, and there really isn't much else to say. The notes in the description and upon sniffing are luscious and wonderful; I get mostly honey in the imp, but could hardly wait for the red patchouli and musk.

I put it on...and they instantly combine into straight-up baby powder. Not exactly Beth's vision, I'm sure.

So this review is for all the unfortunates out there like me, who occasionally turn a gorgeous scent into Johnson & Johnson's. In my case, the culprit is dark musk, so if you're wondering what it is, that might be a good place to start investigating.

Off to someone who can wear you properly; goodbye Sed Non Satiata :P

I'm relieved to see I'm not the only one who got the peanut butter reaction! Because initially, that's exactly what it is on me. But it's damn sexy peanut butter.

Though it strikes me that if I ever blended it with one of the wine scents like Madrid that always go grape jellyish on me, I'd be irresistable to children. I'm pretty sure that's not the effect I want.

And as it dries down, whatever it is that's causing the extra chunky associations (I'm thinking maybe the cognac/honey?) fades, and I'm left with a delicious sexy musk scent. Er, not peanut butter delicious, but the more expected decadent perfume delicious.

Seriously, once I get past the initial wet phase, this is a gorgeous, sexy scent - one for the evening/going out category for me.

Edited by coulrophobe

I just slathered this on my skin and it's really faint.

As it very gently wafts from my wrist it reeks of honey. It's an herbal honey, not spicy at all, or even musky. I was really expecting to smell the patchouli and myrhh.

Ah, it just kicked up all of a sudden!

This smells similar to Honey Moon on me, frankly. I think the florals are the second sharpest note. It smells like really decadent women's body powder, like a honey dusting powder. Actually, if you've ever tried Kama Sutra's honey dusting powder it's kind of like that.

I was having a big "I love honey" phase this summer, but it's passed with the beginning of fall and winter. I think I would like this in August.

I'll have to ammend this review if anything changes, but I think it's just going to hang out in honey-land.

Edited by aidenraine

sednonsatiata.jpg

I should have known...if ChupaChup dosen't love it, I probably should be prepared as well. I was hotly anticipating my bottles of Sed and wrung it out of the hands of my long suffering mailman, staggered into my "testing space" and uncorked the bottle. I thought it was magnificent. There was a sweetness about it almost like baby powder but with an evil lurking under it. I put it on my skin and the wet phase was astonishingly good, amplified baby powder and spices, cognac and depth of sin. However, as it dried I started to get my experiences lash back at me...I have smelled a combination like this before and it reminded me of certain perfumes I smelled as a kid and associate with unhappy times.

Sorry, this one is a misfire on me only due to bad experiences long ago. I want to stress that this one is admirably blended, beautifully chosen components have been put together in a seamless and harmonious whole. I swear I pick up orris in this (the distortion to peanut when I smell too much orris in one spot without proper air circulation). Maybe it's the honey note that I smell that is turning my nose, combined with tuberose. Something is making Sed cloy with me, but once again I'd like to stress that it's due to too close association with unpleasant memories.

I have a friend who is exactly the opposite and who asked me to send her this bottle if it isn't my cup of tea. It's on the way to her. She finds huge beauty and comfort it Sed Non Satiata, revels in it's ability to make you feel close and safe. That is an odd characteristic of it. Somehow that part makes me feel confined.

This one is a beautiful blend for the right person, and as you can see, there are plenty of them around.

The icon is from Gauguin, a detail of a painting of Tahitian women bathing in the surf. I loved this detail as a child.

Edited by olympia301

Again with the failure to trust my nose.

Just like with Centzon Totchin, I got peanut butter from the vial, but tried it on my skin anyway. Which led to the initial peanut butter phase (I'm so glad I'm not the only one who smells this. We talk about playdough and baby powder, but I don't think peanut butter is in the standard 'you might smell this if your chemistry doesn't work' list.)

The longer it's one, the more the honey note comes out, wafting around some florals that might not be so bad, were it not for the bottom note of peanut.

Off to swaps with you.

Edited by Shollin