Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Aredhel

Lick It

What else could possibly be more lickable at Yuletide? This is a candy cane perfume, minty, sweet and sugared.

MMMmm, minty!

It's amazing how much it smells like the taste of sucking on a candy cane. Uncanny really. I like that the mint sticks around for a while instead of fading after 5 minutes. I know that mint isn't an enduring note, but it's nice if it lasts a while, especially when mint is a favorite note. After the mint fades a bit, the blend is a musky vanilla, with hints of mint in the back. I love this blend, so glad I ordered 2 bottles. Edited by Shollin

In the bottle: Peppermint! Sweet, sugary peppermint oil. Mmm.

Wet: Again, I smell all pepperminty. Love it!

Drydown: Ugh. What the hell is THAT? ::sniff:: I get the 'suede' note that someone else mentioned up-thread.

Dry: I smell like...vanilla. Except not the good vanilla smell (like Dorian or Snake Oil), but a waxy, cheap vanilla candle scent. The throw is still all peppermint - occasionally I'll wave my arm and catch a whiff, and it's nice - but up close I smell like a vanilla candle. Ew.

So glad I tested this before I bought a whole bottle - and so very disappointed, because I adore peppermint. :P

Wet this is bright chilly mints with a sweet greeness underneath. When first on it smells the same- bright and very frosty too like crisp newly fallen snow. There's a sugary note that comes out too- but it's powdered sugar not granulated sugar. After about an hour it develops a lovely creamy base note. I really love this one! Wonderfully minty and wintery yet comforting at the same time and not too sweet- brilliant!! I will be getting another bottle of this one in my next order :P

I’m not sure I can add more to the reviews that have already been posted, other than to say Lick It will clear your sinuses straight away.

Wet: Peppermint Candy cane. Pure peppermint hard candy, slightly sweet and very sharp.

Drydown: The vanilla peeks through, softening the blend entirely. On me, however, I can smell a distinct vanilla as the peppermint steps into the background.

Settled: A calm blend of both the peppermint and the vanilla, nice and creamy.

This is a great scent to wake up to. Peppermint is a brain stimulator, so I can definitely see myself wearing this during exam time.

Way to go Beth!

5/5

Origin: Part of my Yule order from the Lab

In the Bottle: It's candy canes! It's sugar!

Wet: MINT!!! Yum, but MINT!!! It's chilly on my skin, it's clearing my sinuses. More spearmint than peppermint, I think; it's sharper than a bottle of peppermint oil that I have.

Drydown: The mint stays and stays. The sugary vanilla note joins in for a bit, but it never tempers the mint. And myt skin is STILL chilled where I applied it!

ETA: Three hours later, and I am wearing Antique Lace with just the softest touch of mint. Still beautiful!

Verdict: I'm very glad I threw in a bottle of this with my order. I may have to nab another before the Yules go away.

Edited by puck_nc

Please excuse me while I drool a little. The first thing I did when I opened the bottle was hop into the kitchen and find a few candy canes. So good.

Wet on the skin it's nothing but mint. Which is not a bad thing! It's a brilliant scent. Cold and hard and perfectly minty.

As it dries, there's a wonderful throw of creamy sugary vanilla sweetness that lingers.

20 minutes after the first application and I'm still floating on a cloud of sweet creamy vanilla mint and I've decided that Lick It is definatley one of my favourites! I'll be ordering a second bottle any day now!

EDIT: maybe it seems silly to even bother, but I found out the fantastically brilliant way that this goes spectacularly well with Bliss. Chocolate-vanilla-mint. I was in heaven all day!!

Edited by magikalcrab

Absolutely delicious vanilla mint. The vanilla on me is the same vanilla as in Dorian, which is great, because I love it! Another Yule I need to stockpile!

In the Bottle:

Wow. Straight-up mint, a little alcoholic. Reminds me almost of mouthwash. :/

Wet:

Oh, man, a fantastic, sinus-clearing peppermint! I'm in the middle of an allergy attack and this is still getting through. Yum yum. I'm a huge mint fan.

Drydown:

Twenty minutes in, the mint has really faded, and this is starting to have a warning edge of manly cologne. Oh dear...

And half an hour later, almost zero mint. There was a brief burst of bitter plastic, and now this is almost a dead ringer for Black Opal, like someone else said. Very vanilla musky.

Unfortunately, I dislike both Black Opal and BPAL's vanilla (I know, I'm a freak), and this reminds me of sniffing a little girl's doll. Creepy.

Wahh. Guess I'll have to try Nuclear Winter in my quest for the perfect mint scent, or get a 10ml of Tarot: The Star to replace my imp. This actually does remind me of The Star in that it's both creamy and minty, but while The Star made me want to eat my arm off, this...does not. :P

In the bottle: alcohol and peppermint. Wow! Drunken candy cane!

On my skin wet: Definitely a candy cane. Very sweet peppermint with a hint of vanilla.

After an hour. Mostly vanilla now with a hint of peppermint.

After 4 hours: Poof! Gone. :P

As much as I like it, it's too sweet and vanilla-y for my skin. Off to the swap forum to find a better owner!

In the bottle, this does smell just like a candy cane. How does Beth do that? Initially, on my skin this smelled like wintermint. Yummy! Then it dried to a sugared mint; and it morphed oh-so-slightly to a bright, sweet scent. Almost vanilla. This is delightful! It helps that I'm a big fan of mint and vanilla scents, I suppose. I may have to order another bottle of this!

I really didn't like Lick It the first time I tried it, the peppermint seemed to be sharpened by something like eucalyptus or pennyroyal, it was so harsh and biting. The next time I tried it, I rolled the imp first and it was much better, along the lines of what everyone else is reporting. So be sure to mix your Lick It! There is a lovely phase of vanilla sugar that comes out just before this scent disappears which is sadly takes all of 20 minutes. I'll enjoy my imp but won't be getting a bottle, Spooky lasts a lot longer on me and has the same luscious minty vanilla drydown.

I ordered Lick It on total impulse and immediately after I placed the order started second guessing myself, thinking "Just how much like a candy cane does a girl need to smell anyway?"

Then I smelled the bottle and realized just what a fabulous purchase it was - so perfectly minty with just a hint of vanilla.

Then I put some on and had a similar "what's that harsh thing" reaction as Chupa and started to feel sad, that Lick It wasn't going to love me as much as I wanted to love it.

Then, like her, I rolled my bottle, and let it warm in my hands. And I tried it again. And then I found my wonderful perfectly holiday vanilla mint love. This is the drydown of Spooky after that crazy chocolate leaves the party, and since my Spooky is starting to suffer from too generous decanting, Lick It can...stick around. :P

Super sweet vanilla mint. As it dries, the mint gets fainter and fainter on my skin, but the vanilla is sugary sweet throughout. I liked this a lot more than I expected to. Lovely and delicious!

Not sure what I can add that hasn't already been said, but WOW! Astonishingly accurate, and just gorgeous. A rush of eye-opening mint on initial application, then a bright, sugary, slightly-vanilla mint as it dries down. This is just gorgeous, and I'm so glad it arrived in time for Yule!

I bet this will be lovely next summer, too, in hot sticky weather.

In the bottle: A strong, pure mint, with just a touch of sweetness to tame it a little.

Wet: Minty! It's a sharp, slightly stinging mint.

Dry: Now the mint is softening into a musky vanilla scent. It smells like the vanilla in Antique Lace to me, not vanilla bean, which turns out very badly on my skin.

Oh no! I'm getting a faint plasticky scent with this. I don't know why. I wish I knew whether Lick It really smells plasticky on me, or if I'm just perceiving the smell as plastic. Sad, because this is really nice.

I knew the moment I smelled it in the bottle, I would be ordering more. Perfect mint and vanilla notes. I have to reapply freq on this so it will require a few bottles actually but so very happy.

I got a lil bit on my lip and it was quite cooling....such a great feeling I would think in the middle of summer.

In the bottle: 100% peppermint oil, smells nice.

Wet: I smell more of the "candy" note now. Must be the vanilla.

Drydown: Still peppermint candy, this is really delicious. Like someone else said it smells exactly like a candy cane tastes.

Dry: Vanilla with a little bit of mint. It fades pretty fast, so will need to reapply every so often.

Overall I just love this one!

In the bottle: super peppermint.

wet, on the skin: super peppermint. nose tingling peppermint. it smells just like candy canes.

after about 20 minutes, the peppermint fades, quite a lot, but it is still detectable. there is a sugary-almost vanilla like note that comes out, and this takes over as the main component as the mint fades. i don't think it's vanilla, maybe a light musk or a sugar musk or something else that i'll just make up, but it's sweet and cool and yummy. it really keeps this from being a super kiddie type scent.

i really like this a lot!!

ETA: I let my aromatherapy friend sniff at this one (she loved the name of it, and had to give it a whiff). She thought the thing I thought was not-quite-vanilla was possibly tonka. FWIW.

Edited by Diana

strong pepperming and soft vanilla. it's nice enough, but it's not really my thing. however, i had a bad stomach this afternoon, and smelling it helped me out quite a bit. i'll keep the imp for it's medicinal properties, but i don't really want to smell like it.

dries down (after a LONG time) to a soft minty vanilla which is nice.

n.

At the onset of it I get a soft mint and vanilla. Later it sort of turns into this car freshener smell that I really like, and have actually be hoping could be captured in a fragrance oil.

On first application, this is pure peppermint candy cane, crushed into a jagged powder and slightly cold. Wow!

It fades a little, but for the most part, this stays strong for a while, and it has excellent throw. Yum.

Lick It

In the imp: mint! This does smell exactly like a candy cane-you can smell the sugar in this. Amazing!

Wet on skin: gorgeous minty goodness-but now I'm getting that vanilla scent, and yes, it resembles Black Opal!

Dry on skin: I love this! First thing that hits your nose is a refreshing blast of peppermint that clears your head. I think this would work wonders on headaches. But underneath the mint, is a gorgeous sugary vanilla musk, reminiscent of Black Opal or Antique Lace, but much sweeter and lighter. This vanilla musk adds depth and uniqueness to the scent-it smells like a candy cane, but much more interesting. And I've noticed another thing-it has a cooling effect on my skin-and I've just come out of the shower!

After a while: the mint has faded, leaving behind that gorgeous Black Opal scent of vanilla and musk, but this time slightly fresher, thanks to a tiny amount of leftover mint.

Verdict: this is possibly one of the loveliest mint blends ever, and a proof that a blend that's predominantly mint can make for a fabulous perfume without smelling like chewing gum or toothpaste. In the imp, it's pure candy cane in a liquid form, but on the skin, it changes. The peppermint is cooling on the skin, refreshing and good for clearing a clogged up brain, I think. But underneath the minty coolness, is a beautiful vanilla musk scent which is similar to the likes of Black Opal and Antique Lace. This is what makes Lick It such a fabulous scent-it's that vanilla musk layer underlying the mint. I think I'll need a bottle…because of it's cooling action on the skin, I think it will be wonderful for summer!

Candy cane in the bottle, has a bit more depth than just that on my skin. It's not really evocative of "oooh, something to eat" as some other blends. As the mint fades, a bit of vanilla-creaminess comes out. Really very nice and not at all little-kiddie.

And sadly, my skin devours this stuff up like no tomorrow. I slathered it on my neck, my hair, my skin, and it was gone in 30 mins.

Oh my god, this is perfect. I always tried to capture the essence of candy cane via Peppermint essential oil but I'm realizing now how insufficient that was.

This is the smell of the Body Shop's peppermint shampoo, which I'd huff every time I got the chance, but wasn't suited to my hair type. It is pure candy cane bliss. It smells exactly the way candy canes taste to me.

I'm so glad I tried this tonight when I am engaging in Christmas festivities anyway.

God, I need to buy up bottles of this so I can use it as a room scent and a body lotion spiker.

I just can't believe after trying to capture this scent, which seems so _basic_ , so many times I finally found it.

OOOH, LunaSea-thank you thank you thank you!! I bought this off of her after a STUPID moment of doubt kept LickIt out of my yule order. I heard 'candy canes' and had a completely different memory of them being sickly sweet and gross. It wasn't until the holiday season rolled around that i smelled the real thing and knew I must have been thinking about another peppermint candy. I'll be ordering a bottle from the lab, but luna allowed me to wear it today, on christmas.

It's exactly like a candy cane- sharp, bracing mint with sheer sweetness. Not so much vanilla as sugar syrup on me. WONDERFUL, fantastic, and so damned cheerful that i smiled as soon as I opened it.

I'll wear it as often as I can, considering that I have about 15 other "must wear daily" bpals. I think it was a great addition to the yule lineup.