Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Aredhel

Lick It

What else could possibly be more lickable at Yuletide? This is a candy cane perfume, minty, sweet and sugared.

It really does smell just like a candy cane! I don't know how Beth does it! This is a lovely holiday novelty scent. It's sharp peppermint and smooth creamy vanilla on me. Like others have said, it doesn't have much staying power but leaves behind a light sweetness. It's a keeper for now! Edited by Shollin

Eee! My favorite of the Yules! Lick It is wooooooonderful. It's like sucking in a big lungful of snowy air after eating a candy cane. The little touch of vanilla is just perfect to sweeten up the peppermint, and I can see myself wearing this one a *lot*. Pity I only bought one bottle!

aw.........this was not a winner for me :D

i got only a tad of the lovely vanilla and then the peppermint went

all kooky/crazy with my chemistry......it actually felt cool....

hehe.....off to a better home she goes..... :D

ADDED Dec. 15:

straight sniff from bottle is peppermint candy canes :D

once applied it gets very, very faint and literally disappears except for

a hint of vanilla...i would literally have to wear 1/2 the bottle in order

to even smell this on my own self...ah well...

that's why lick it again was created :P

Wow, this is amazing. Pure vanilla mint, I'd picture peppermint ice cream rather than a candy cane but still, mmmm. Yum.

It's smooth, extreeeeeeemely minty, and vanilla sweet creamy. On me it is so very minty that it is ice cold on my skin, for about 20 minutes. If I touch the cold spot where the oil it, it's actually lowered the temperature of my skin, it's literally a cold spot. Whoa, mint! I got it on a patch of very dry, cracked skin (@$&% winter weather!) and ooowwww. That hurt. I do have to use quite a bit of it when I apply, it disappears fast on me. It's not really creamy, just sweet and vanilla-y. I love mint notes and this is fantastic. I have a small hoard now, probably will add some more to it. I use it a fair amount. It does settle the stomach if you're feeling a little nauseous. Nice! I like to wear it to bed a lot.

My husband likes it a lot too. It's very strong initially, then it *poof* disappears. Probably lasts about an hour, at least the minty part. There's some vanilla that lingers after that. Honestly, I use Spooky some more, but Spook is my baby and it's hard to challenge the Spook supremacy.

I'd give it a 5 out of 5.

Edited by LittleGreyKitten

Oh, YUM! This smells soooo good!

Background: I don't usually like mint scents, but the comparisons to Black Opal had me intrigued. I ordered a bottle of Lick It, and I'm so glad I did!

This does, indeed, smell like Black Opal with a mint note. It's a cool, deep, sophisticated mint--not too sharp or medicinal. It even has that dark mineral note that Black Opal has. It's very balanced by the wonderful, soft vanilla.

This is wonderful. I wish it lasted longer--it fades in 4 hours on me--but other than that, it's perfect.

In bottle and wet -- OMG candy cane! Must not drink it, lick wrist or make cocoa just to flavor it with this stuff.

Drying -- Candy cane and vanilla and the tiniest bit of something underneath it that's just barely smokey.

A little later -- Still quite minty and, while sweet, not cloying. The incensy/perfumey note is a little stronger and I actually like that because it doesn't smell like I simply rubbed some cheap Christmas scent designed for an oil burner on my wrist. Yes it's Christmasy, but it's kind of a grown-up Christmas and is something I can see wearing other times of the year.

A half hour later after a walk -- The mint and the vanilla are still pastede on for grate yay! Whatever the "grown-up" note is, it's a little more present, and so the whole thing is a little less Christmasy and a little more balanced. This one is very much a keeper.

It's faded some after a little over an hour, but I hardly put any on and I didn't use lotion before putting it on and I had recently showered, so I think it's fair to say my skin was kinda thirsty.

After the crushing disappointment of Snowblnd, I was somewhat wary of testing this.

But...so pretty!

The mint of course died a quick death within minutes, but what it left behind was lovely. This soft, cool, dreamy, sugary vanilla with just a little something musky underlying it. It reminds me a bit of Dorian, minus the tea and lemon, and with the musk turned way down.

I really can't stop smelling myself. This is just so nice and somehow hugable, even if it registers as more of a cool scent.

Holy candy cane, Batman. This smells like peppermint ice cream, my favourite around the Christmas holidays. Mint likes me, as I discovered from trying Mad Hatter yesterday, so I've got high hopes for this.

I've had it on for two seconds and have already decided that Lick It should be called 'Lick Me' instead. I smell exactly like a candy cane, or peppermint drop, or some other mint-flavoured holiday treat. It's not even a cold, ice mint. It's ... mint with a hint of vanilla behind it. Yum.

*chews on wrist*

I might layer this with Gluttony for a chocolate mint scent. Mmm, that sounds delightful. Ever had those Hershey's chocolate mint candy canes? There you go.

Because Beth is a genius and made this smell exactly as it should, 5.

ETA, ten minutes later: My wrist is COLD. Pepperminty, ice-minty cold, like you're standing outside church on Christmas Day with snow falling all around you, and you're eating a candy cane cold. That is SO WEIRD. There's nothing I can do about it, either ... it's like, internally cold, and no amount of sitting on my hand will make it go away. Interesting.

Edited by rabid hauteur

A lovely mint blend - I've been on a quest to find the 'perfect' mint scent for me, and this is currently at the top of my list.

In the bottle, it smells like peppermint oil - not quite like the herb, not like peppermint flavored things, but with a fake-ish note.

Wet, this is a lovely mixture of sweet vanilla and cool peppermint.

Dry, the two scents mix - they don't quite smell like a candy cane, but then I don't like the smell of candy canes that much. :D One strange thing - at about three hours in, it took an almost sour turn for about an hour, and then smoothed back out in the lovely vanilla mint. Huh. It was strange, and I've only worn this once, so I don't know yet if it'll happen every time.

Overall, a terrific scent, and I wish I had bought more than one bottle. :P Swaps, here I come!

Love, love, LOVE this! It really is amazing. Peppermint ice cream seems to be accurate, moreso than vanilla mint, to me. I really do want to taste it now- I love how fresh and beautiful it smells on me! I must find bottles of this one.

EDIT: I'm not sure on the bottles, now. I wore it for a while this morning, and noticed that my skin swallowed the peppermint almost entirely and left me smelling like I'd rolled around in pure vanilla- which is lovely in its own right, it's just not the minty freshness I smelled last night. I'm still up in the air on this one.

Edited by cordia

To me, it is exactly like the creamy mint candies some restaurants give out. Very minty and creamy at first, the mint is strong, but not as clear as I expected-the cream gives it a fuzzy edge. As it dries down, the mint lightens and sweetens and the vanilla becomes more prominent (albeit soft). I like it, but haven't quite learned to love it yet. I am keeping it though, because I'm sure when summer hits, I will want it! :P

Rating: 10/10 :P

In the bottle:

This is on my list of favorite BPAL blends. In the bottle it's a very potent mint with a hint of sugary vanilla.

Initial Scent (on skin):

Def. very minty (those sensitive to mint notes be careful as this tingled my skin) when you first apply it but quickly dries down to a soft vanilla buttercreamy scent with a hint of mint.

Staying Power:

The vanilla soon becomes the predominant note although you can still smell hints of the mint (to me it's more of a sweet spearmint then sharp peppermint). This scent definitely lasts on your skin for at LEAST 3 hours.

Peppermint delight! This is the truest candy cane or mint lolly (like Bullseyes or Lifesavers), I can ever imagine smelling. Starts with a bright zap of peppermint which clears my head - very cooling, mentally and physically. It’s not overpowering though, as the light sugary note evens it out. As it dries down, there’s a creaminess behind the peppermint and then a lovely sort of perfumey note comes out on the drydown - could be a light musk as others have mentioned - so that it’s not just like wearing candy. Final drydown is a very soft vanilla peppermint, heavier on the vanilla. It doesn’t last too long on me, about an hour, but I just apply again for that lovely peppermint hit!

I can see myself getting addicted to the way this oil makes my skin feel all tingly and refreshed. It's all juicy mint on me, not much vanilla. It's kind of soothing as well. Doesn't last that long, but that's okay because I can just slather on some more.. So sad I only got one bottle.

In the bottle

What an amazing vanilla mint, just like candy canes! I'm impressed.

Wet

Smells just the same as the bottle, but feels wonderfully cool. I'd also like to add at this point that this lovely cool stage makes Lick It as a wonderful tension headache cure when applied to the forehead and temples.

Dry

The mint stays on for a surprisingly long time considering there's really only the vanilla to anchor it. Once the mint fades, it's a very soft powdery vanilla that is quite unobtrusive. I really like this perfume!

This is one awesome oil. The peppermint and vanilla are perfectly blended into something that is soft and strong at the same time. Beth is a true genius to be able to create such simple perfection.

This one makes me tingly too -- the tip of my nose is currently freezing due to an overenthusiastic sniff! :P Not much to add re: the scent -- it really is a spot on, chilly, almost-edible-smelling (Beth was wise to add the disclaimer in her description!) candy cane scent. Unfortunately, the mint disappears within the first twenty minutes or so, leaving only the faintest traces of vanilla. This might've destined it for the swap pile, but...

Smells just the same as the bottle, but feels wonderfully cool. I'd also like to add at this point that this lovely cool stage makes Lick It as a wonderful tension headache cure when applied to the forehead and temples.

when the mint went, it took my migraine with it. So it is a definite keeper.

In the bottle:

Candy Cane of course!

On me:

There isn't a lot to say about this blend that isn't terribly obvious I feel. It's just like a candy cane. It's a super cool peppermint with a vanilla sweetness to it. It's icy but sweet and wonderful. It's so refreshing and wonderful, and as some other people mentioned - great for any time of year! It's got wonderful throw and is just all around fun and yummy.

Final note:

As a mint lover, I rejoice for this blend. It is amazing and I wouldn't swap this bottle of mine for anything.

Origin:

Imp from my Imp Pimp, Diana. :P

Preconceived notions:

I'm not a big peppermint fan, but Lick It certainly sounds fun, especially since it's a BPAL candy cane scent. BPAL scents are always steps above the rest of the fragrance world if you ask me. :D

First sniff:

Hoo-boy, that's a candy cane, alright! It's pepperminty, sugary and just a bit creamy. I think this would probably make a great room scent, but I'm not sure how well this is going to work as a perfume on me.

Wet on skin:

This reminds me of Yankee Candle's Jack Frost scent. A peppermint, sugar and vanilla scent, only this is heavier on the sharp peppermint than Jack Frost is. I think the peppermint in this is too much for me, since I only like peppermint when it's toned down with something like vanilla. :D

Dry down:

A bit creamier now, but still too sharp for my nose. I think I'll be sticking with Snowblind for my minty vanilla fixes.

The bottom line:

Too pepperminty to me. This would probably make a better room scent than perfume, but I don't think I'd want my house smelling of Lick It, either. It's just too much for me, personally.

This is one oil that has definitely surprised me. I was dubious going in, because I did not particularly think I'd care to smell like peppermint, but this oil? It's a delicious mix of peppermint & a light, sweet vanilla, and I really do like it. :)

I feel as though I should be curling up with a hot cup of tea beside a lit, decorated Christmas tree, watching the snow outside. Mmm.

Candy cane? Yes, in the bottle! And yes, it did seem like a peppermint.

On my skin, it becomes a lovely vanilla mint! Yum! :P

It's very soft and lovely.

I wish I'd gotten more bottles of this one.

Definitely one that you have to try on your skin before passing judgment! :D

I was afraid that this would be a little too minty, especially after taking a whiff from the bottle, but on my skin it is the perfect balance of sweet vanilla with a touch of minty freshness. Not a strong bracing Altoids type mint that brings to mind the York Peppermint Patty commercials, but just enough mint for some trigeminal stimulation.

I love mint and this certainly hit the spot. In the bottle it was so refreshing and smelled perfectly like a candy cane.

Once on however I could also smell hints of what my poor confused nose said could be vanilla.--I have a hard time with smelling and identifying notes.

It stayed strong for quite awhile and did not lose any of its minty goodness. I had to be careful because it smelled so edible I coulda licked it off hungering now for a candy cane.

I adore this one. A lot. ...a lot a lot.

Time for my first review. X_X

This may suck. :3 Just a big warning! :D Okay!

In the bottle: Exactly like a candy cane. Nice and minty with that hint of vanilla nummyness. :3 Makes my nose very happy.

Wet on skin: typing with one hand coz I can't take my wrist away from my nose. Same as in the bottle but the mint is a bit stronger.

Dry on skin: Mint is fading slightly now. It's still there, but not as strong. This is about an hour after.

Dry 2 hours: Sadly the mint is basically gone on my skin. This makes me extremely boo-hoo sad. :P But what is left is a sweet vanilla. A little bit warm, but just a little. I guess the mint cooled it down a lot.

Dry 3 hours: Gone. Entirely. How sad.

The throw on this one apparently is quite strong. Only after application unfortunately. After an hour of wear, the throw fades a LOT. I wish this one would last longer on my skin. Stupid skin. Hold mint better. I love this scent though. I would totally buy it again.

If anyone has any of this scent left and they don't want it and want to give it away, send it my way? Please? :3 :D

4/5 (...would've been 5/5 if it lasted longer....)

In the bottle: Mint, but with heady fragrant notes in the background. Not candy-caneish to me.

On skin, wet: OHMYGOD delightful. The mint's stronger, but the other stuff in the background is coming out as more sugary and vanilla, which is good, 'cause before I was like, "huh?" It's making my wrist cool!

Drydown: Still wonderful. I'm sniffing my wrist as I'm typing this, it's so good. The vanilla's coming out more, taking over the mint, though the coolness is still there.

Definitely keeping this with Skadi for wintertime.