Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Beaver Moon 2005

Traditionally, Beaver Moon is named thus for a very obvious reason: during this time of year, beavers are hard at work building their dams and preparing for the onset of winter. Because it was too hard to resist, BPAL’s Beaver Moon is sillier, sleazier, and full of camp. This scent is of cheesecake and cupcakes, more in line with its cheekier connotations, and really hasn’t a damn thing to do with Luna at all!

This was both in the bottle and on my skin a cheesecake scent with a hint of strawberries.

I love this scent! :P Edited by Shollin

In the bottle: Cream cheese frosting on red velvet cake.

On, wet: ...cream cheese frosting on red velvet cake.

Drydown: More cream-cheesy and less cakey; also more noticeably vanilla. But on the whole, it doesn't change much at all.

Absolutely delicious all around. It'll be a great vanilla-type scent when I want something goofier and more girly than Black Opal.

Edit: this stuff has staying power of doom. I dabbed it on my hands around 1pm today, and have washed my hands, made dinner, washed dishes, washed my hands again, and I can still smell it. Faintly, but it's definitely there.

Edited by hangingfire

In the bottle: Beaver Moon wet smells...exactly like cheesecake. I mean exactly. We're all familiar by now with Beth's foodie scents. If she says something smells like a particular food, believe her.

On the skin: As soon as I put it on, I got a sinking feeling. No, it didn't 'turn' on me, and I did start to smell cake batter as well as the cheesecake, but Beaver Moon smelled thin, without substance. Flat. Cheesecake and yellow cake. Good smells that lay on the skin. Ultimately, it came down to: "okay, now what?" Midway had that salty smell existing alongside the sweeteness and burnt notes...it had depth, and that's what made it fantastic. Beaver Moon had no depth at this point. It smelled yummy- make no mistake about that- but it needed something more.

Dry, an hour later: Just as I was wrapping up my bottle to go into the "swap" pile, I got graham crackers and spices! I'm not sure which spices- couldn't be cinnamon, could it? Definitely not nutmeg. Not a particularly exotic spice, either- this is one we've all baked with. Vaguely pepper-y, but not as sharp. NOW we get a bottom to this, and it couldn't have come at a better time! How the hell does Beth do this? How did the crust come an hour after the cheese and batter? I mean...sometimes she just floors me.

Verdict: Love it. This one is silly, but it's so much fun. For this time of year, it's just great.

Edited by couscous

In the bottle: As many have said - it smells EXACTLY like cheesecake - no more, no less. Completely realistic - no fakey notes.

Wearing: Still cheesecake for 15 or 20 and then I get the addition of a real live graham cracker crust. I'm loving it and I'm generally not a fan of foody scents!

30 minutes: Oh no - what's happening? The cheesecake and graham are mellowing a bit, nice, and it's getting a bit more vanilla, nice,......but what's that I'm beginning to smell? NO, not the plastic!! Yes, the plastic and/or burning plastic tinge that I've gotten with Spooky, Snow White, Elegba, Dana O'Shee and yes, others of the oh-so-popular scents. Why will these scents not behave with my chemistry? Why?

Sigh: Off to the swaps.

yum, spicy cheesecake at first..but on me it does fade to a plasticy sweet scent..but not in a bad way. it's like the way skin smells after tanning..with sweet vanilla ness.

3.5/5

I want to love this. At first whiff it did smell like cheesecake with a syrupy note. But then it morphed into an old candy scent that is exactly - I mean, with unerring and chilling accuracy - the scent of my favorite video store, a dusty old shop stacked to the ceiling with ancient videotapes and candy. It's a scent that's always struck me as a little musty and creepy, like Miss Havisham's video shop, so I've had a hard time striking that association from this scent. I did discover that if I layer this with Gingerbread, it smells more authentically like a warm kitchen of freshly baked goodies so I may just not wear it alone.

I was a little apprehensive at first because even though it smells utterly drinkable in the bottle, it smelled cheesy on my skin. I don't get the tangy note of cream cheese but the saltiness of mild fresco cheese. My fears were quickly laid to rest when all of a sudden I smelled cinnamon and sweet graham crust. I think I smell a little of a flour note which really gives this a baked goods feel. Then there's a wonderful explosion of vanilla buttercream cupcakes and birthday cake with confetti sprinkles all over it. Now I'm going to put my twisted mental picture out there: It's like a vanilla cake volcano that at first emits the scent of mild, white cheese and then a light dusting of cinnamon ashes followed by a glorious eruption of warm vanilla buttercream lava. It's throw is as impressive and as time passes it just gets more and more voluptous and rich like fondant or nougat. I'm keeping it! :P

Beaver Moon

Well, dang, I was just sure I wasn't going to like Beaver Moon. Positive, in fact - and so I didn't order a bottle.

I'm SUCH a moron.

Wet: Hmm, it's familiar, but it doesn't smell like cupcakes to me - it's not that sweet.

Upon application: Lots of vanilla. With something that's keeping it from being too sweet. Probably the vinegary note that people have mentioned.

After a few mintutes: Pow! Cinnamon! Strong cinnamon with a hint of vanilla. I know what it's reminding me of now - Chimera.

I wasn't expecting the cinnamon at all. And the cinnamon is what's making me fall in love with this blend. That - and it's lasting forever, too. Yum.

In the bottle and initially on my skin, Beaver Moon smells like cinnamon frosting and bready cake (bready like Gingerbread Poppet is bready, if that makes sense). As it dries it develops a thin, saccharine sweetness and a nauseating quality that I can't stand at all :D (note that I LOVE foody blends :P)

I thought I'd like Beaver Moon, but it ended up being one of the very few BPALs that make me feel sick, along with Satyr and White Rabbit :D

once upon a time, there was a lovely girl named snow white. one summer, she went to the county faire, and there met a dazzling young man called midway. they fell in love, got married, decided to reproduce. they soon were expecting their first offspring.

they named their beloved child beaver moon.

and it was good. . . . . :P

This is what I get for not ordering immediately when an LE goes up -- by the time I get mine to review, everything I would say has already been said!

Indeed it does smell like cake. I don't get the tang of cheesecake that others are talking about. The boyfriend disagreed on the cupcakes and pronounced it "spicy." I agree, on the drydown it develops a mild spiciness that makes me think graham cracker crust. At least he liked it! He doesn't normally go for the foody scents.

It's lasting but very light on me. So light it's safe for work, in a tiny office I share with others. I thought Midway was my favorite ultra-foody blend, but this one is less sugary and I think I like it better.

DarcyPennell rating: "yowza"

I've swapped away most of the moons except Chaste and Milk, which make me swoon. Beaver is another Swooner. I get the cupcake, then the cinnamon, and then...

...bananas. Yes, bananas. More like banana cream pie, really. It reminds me of CSP's Vanille Banane.

Foody Girl Alert--pick up a bottle asap!

Wet: Cake, sweet frosting (no creamcheese when wet) and a hint of something alcoholic.

Dry: Carrot cake, minus most of the carrot. Sweet and delicious and smells like cake perfume rather than like I strapped a cake to my wrist, it's really lovely. Yes, it's foody but foody in a gorgeous scent way, not like I smeared cake on my body. As time goes by the cream cheese note goes away and there is just regular frosting on cake. I love it.

I ordered a bottle of Beaver Moon when I ordered the t-shirt, not so much because I thought the scent would work on me, but because I had to have a bottle that said "Beaver Moon" sitting on my bathroom fragrance shelf. :P (And cudos on the label art!)

And I'll be dipped in a vat of BPAL, Beaver Moon actually works on me! The initial application ran through the cheesecake scent, with cherry and lots of graham cracker. It then dried down into a very cinnamony-spicy smell. After a couple of hours, it amped a bit and went back to a more cheescakey (vanilla and milky/cream cheese)-cinnamon smell.

I normally prefer all those dark, incensy-patchouli blends, so it's delightful to have a completely different alternative. And it's just fun. It is a silly-but-sexy smell. How on earth Beth developed the scent, I don't know -- but it's just amazing!

valentina

Chomp Chomp Chomp.....no, not the sound of me eating my wrist, but my wrist eating the oil! :P

After a second good slather, I found this to be the most yummy white sweet creamy smell. Very good for a non-foodie and I will be wearing this as I get the holiday baking under way.

Great job Lab!

In the bottle: Cheesecake - sweet, creamy, decadent cheesecake!

Wet: Ditto. It does not lose it's sweet creamy cheesecake at all!

Drydown: Cheesecake smell fading in and out now, something vanilla-y and slightly spicy coming out. Sorta like cinnamon graham crackers.

Later: Lasts forever! And stays with the graham cracker/cinnamony/spicy/vanilla. Nice!

Verdict: I am not a foodie, but this one is pretty and complex! And fun! I'll probably keep an imp and let the bottle go. Nice scent though!

Initially, this smells just like red velvet cake. Soft, moist cake - with a teeny bit of spiciness - topped with cream cheese frosting. This stage is lovely, but so fleeting. It beguiles my senses.

Upon drydown, I smell as if I have poured the a bowl of vanilla cake batter all over myself. -or- prehaps, I have wallowed around in a container of still warm Krispy Kreme donuts.

I'm getting some of the soft creamy-milk undertones that are found in Midway with a twinge of spice like the drydown on Bengal.

Unique - and one of the most foody blends I have ever tried. Stay away if you don't like smelling edible. But, if you wish to be nibbled upon - give it a go. But, don't say I didn't warn you. :P

Beaver Moon is just fun, man. It's happy, goofy - sweet cheerfulness in a bottle. It's a flirty wink and a swing in your hips kind of fun. Also, it makes me want to eat, like, a whole cake, which could be dangerous. Hee.

Sadly, the beav and I do not get along. In the bottle it is a gorgeous sweet cheescake scent complete with the slight tang others have mentioned. I so wanted to love it on, and it so wanted to love me - way in the back there was that great cupcake shop/graham cracker crust smell, but over top it turned kinda sour and plasticky. (Someone else said they smelled like a My Little Pony? That's it exactly.) I had to wash it off, twice. And a little bit of it is still hanging around. (Very lightly, I wish that's how it always smelled.)

I don't know if I'm a enough of a foody person to have even wanted to wear this a lot, but I did want to have the option. Oh, bother. Well, she's already off to a new good home.

Birthday Cake by Skindazzles! Yup, that's exactly what this smells like.

In the bottle I definitely get the cheesecake vibe, but it once it hits my skin, it's all cupcakes. I don't get that vinegar tinge others did, which is good.

I also think of this as a stronger, less fried version of Midway.

Whoah there! I mean, whoah. Beaver Moon is definitely a foody scent. Not a surprise given the description. But I didn't expect it to smell so perfectly like golden yellow cupcakes. Since there's a cheesecake type of note in there, it adds to the smell of the golden yellow cupcakes...the scent of frosting. You know, the fluffy buttercream kind that's perhaps made with a dab of sour cream in it.

Delicious!

Makes my mouth water!

If I were a foody person (scent-wise) I'd give this a 4.5 out of 5 stars!

I love Beaver Moon. On me, I don't get any cheesecake (which I wouldn't mind) or cream cheese frosting smell, it's more like an amped up Midway with more of the funnel cake and less of the grease. I get a lot of very rich vanilla, like buttercream frosting and after about an hour, I get the lovely cinnamon ala Chimera that others have noticed. This lasts a good long time on me and has decent throw. I love it when Beth does something silly like this, I hope she brings it back next year. Awesome :P .

In the bottle this is pure vanilla extract. Yeah, I need a napkin. I'm already drooling.

Once on, it keeps the vanilla smell for about a nanosecond and then goes to.. Um. What is that? Oh no. :P It's going sour. Oh wait, oh wait. Mmmmm cheesecake. No, no. Still sour.

I swear. I hope this doesn't stay sour on me. :D :D BAH!

I will make you work for me, Beaver. Even if I have to demote you to a room scent, you will submit!

Oh, what a surprise!

I ordered this fully expecting to have to swap this away. I don't care for foody scents but really... it sounded fun and I wanted to smell it. I mean, Spooky is hideous on me, and while I love Bliss I can't bring myself to wear it.

But this... oh, this....

In the bottle, it's definitely sweet and edible. Yum. I want to go bake now, thankyou. I get the red velvet cake, in that it's cream cheese frosting and buttercream, but no chocolate. Just the frosting. Sweet and yummy.

As it starts to dry down, I get... cinnamon! Oh, joy, I love cinnamon, and spices work very very well on me. In fact, this reminds me a bit of Snake Oil, of all things, without the cloying note that that one sometimes gives me. It has to be the sweet and spice combined. As it dries, it sweetens a bit more and keeps smelling edible, but that spice is still there. I just love this. It's foody in a good way, and I'm willing to wear it despite my usual food aversion. It lasts forever, and after hours of wear the spice had died down a bit, to a sweet soft vanilla.

The boy proclaimed I smelled 'really good, like Christmas baking' when I asked last night, and he kept snuffling at my neck, so evidently something's right in this one.

Incidently this has great staying power, too. I got some on the sweatshirt I was wearing yesterday and when I tossed it on this morning to walk the dog, I kept smelling this wonderful waft. Mmmm.

Why did I only order one bottle of this? I need more!

I want to love Beaver Moon, but something about this seems really 'off' and soured to my nose, like cheese gone bad.

Beaver Moon is spicier than I thought it would be at first (I was expecting more of a pure, creamy frosting and cake scent). It smells like a cinnamon graham cracker crust and rich cream cheesy frosting. It's pretty strong and has great throw, but the soured undertone is really off putting and takes over in the drydown.

On me this is oddly spicy and soured (almost smells like mustard). It's strange and kind of gross. I'll try aging it and hoping the sweet frosting notes and cake come out more.

ETA: This is one of those blends that didn't age well for me at all either. The cake and frosting disappeared and this got even sharper, like it continued to go bad the longer that I had it. I ended up selling all of my bottles of Beaver Moon on ebay, hoping they're not as bad on someone else. There are so many better cream cheese frosting, cheesecake and foodie cake scents out there for me. These sort of scents normally work out so well on me, it's surprising how bad Beaver Moon smells to me.

Edited by Tania