Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
paperdoll

Forbidden Fruit

As light and innocent as your first time should have been. The fresh scent of lotus hidden behind lightly scented flowers, amber, and citrus.

Double GAH!! :run: In the imp, this was JUST like the cherry tooth polish that your dentist uses to polish your teeth....that gritty crappy stuff?? eeeuuuuu...... Wet on my wrist something astringent came out to play....and it wasn't pleasant....as it dried it wreaked of stargazer lily with a tart/sweet fruit underneath. This also wouldn't wash off...the lily stayed....ick. Into the swap pile!

Imp: Lotus and citrus. Lotus is already kind of citrus-y to me so it's kind of a citrus overload.

Wet: So much citrus! The drydown isn't unpleasant but it's totally not my style. Citrus and lotus with a lot more citrus than lotus.

Dry: The drydown is actually quite pretty. Soft lotus and the citrus calms down with a touch of amber. Not getting any spice but it's all quite pretty. I almost smell an apple scent here. This is extraordinarily girly and light. I am neither and it doesn't necessarily jibe with my personality, although it does seem to work on my skin chemistry. The more I smell this the more I like it.

Throw: Mild.

Overall: I really like it. I just think it doesn't exactly work with my personality. It's the sort of scent I could wear to work... until they ask what it's called.

In the imp I get amber and something sweet. Wet on me it's very floral at first and then I got this pixie sticks mixed with heady flower petals smell.

The floral stays very dominant as it dries, but it retains the sweet edge. Interesting!

Frimp from the Lab - don't think this will necessarily work, florals are no good for me, and neither is citrus, but I do like amber. Let's see.

In the imp - cherry and citrus. Weird.

On wet - much of the same, it smells like cherry candy. Weird.

Drydown - citrus comes out a little more, otherwise, just lotus. A very pretty light, floral scent with just that zing of citrus that keeps it from being cloying. Not for me, but a must-try for floral lovers :)

This is one of the frimps I got in my purchase bag from the last Brick and Mortar sale! Let's see how it goes.

In the Bottle

...Oh god. I smell the lotus. IT IS SO SWEET AND NOT IN A GOOD WAY. Dare I go on? M-Maybe it will be one of those odd miracles that it just MIGHT work on me despite all odds?

On Skin: Wet

OH GOD I WAS WRONNNNG. Why did I pick this?! Ugh. I want to say there's something like plumeria in it, which I can get behind, but it's instantly made FOUL by my archnemesis the lotus. I am in hell right now – and hell smells like an old sock coated with too-sweet bubble gum dental mouthwash.

Amber! CITRUS, EVEN! SAVE ME FROM LOTUS-Y DOOM!

On Skin: Dry

*Sob* Why have you both forsaken me?!

Augh... It's not going away. No amber. No citrus. JUST LOTUS.

Afternotes

LOTUSSSSSSSSSS.

Verdict

On an American scholastic grading scale of A to F, A being best, I would give this a FFFFFFFFFFFF.

Not just a F, but a FFFFFFFFFFFF. While I doubt this would even beat Troll on most hated scent I've tried, it's...pretty darned close. Yeah... What I said before about me saying that I doubt I could ever truly hate a floral scent?

I WAS WRONG.

Edited by Ashenrook

This doesn't quite work. The smell is a little nauseating. I smell florals with something creamy and something fruity. Together, they make a belly ache inducing smell. I think it is the medicinal cherry smell that really bothers me. But making it creamy just makes it curdle.

In bottle: strongly floral and Lotus heavy. It’s a little like floral chewing gum, which I know from past experience is the amber interacting with the florals. It’s bright and strongly coloured flowers. The amber turns sexy once I parse it out. The citrus is very understated. Wet: It’s not as intense on me. The citrus is stronger as I amp it, but it must not be proportionately tiny, as it’s not that strong here. It’s less chewing gum on me too. It’s quite lovely for a floral, but my skin chemistry is not particularly good for florals. I’m guessing it could be stunning on someone else and it’s rather wasted on me. Dry: The amber really comes out as it wears. Seriously, if it smells this good on me, it’s got to be impressive on someone else.

Wet: lotus always amps on me. Smells like fruit punch soda!

Drydown: I get the cherry everyone else mentioned but not in a bad way. The citrus is there but indeterminable in type. I wish the amber was a bit heavier so it would even the throw. Overall, sweet, cute, and nice.

Out of the bottle and fresh on the skin this is pure citrus to me. I'm reminded of Juicy Fruit gum.

Drydown and finish this becomes less citrus and more floral. A very light floral that is actually pleasant. I'm not sure I would wear this alot, but it's nice.

A sweet and slightly fruity floral, very appropriate for the name and theme. There is a little bit of bubblegumminess in there from the lotus and resinous muskiness from the amber. Not unpleasant, but not sure it's really for me.

Edited by Invidiana

Hmmm...

Day One: When we first got our shipment, I opened this one up and smelled a faint hint of old lady perfume. It wasn't at all what I was expecting.

After aging a week or so: There we go. The old lady smell is almost gone now, and the perfume has sweetened and gotten used to itself.

Wet: It sweetens even more...this one could be good...

After a half hour: Floral. Lots and lots of very white florals...I'm smelling...lily and maybe even honeysuckle and all kinds of other flowers I don't know (probably the lotus, whose smell I'm not familiar with)...a sweeter note...and a linen-ish smell. It reminds me of this room spray or something my grandma used when I was a little girl...I'm remembering a bright, quiet, sunlit upstairs after she redid it in pink. It's a lovely memory...! But...it smells like very sweet laundry detergent.

I'll have to let it age more, buuuuuut~......I'm thinking no. I've always been more of a fruity girl than a floral one...and this one is just a touch too floral for me.

Which is sad! I looooved the description, and this was one of the first BPAL oils I had to have! Ah well...maybe I can swap this one to a more floral-friendly home.

I wasn't sure if I was going to like this from the description, but I figured I'd give it a chance.

In Imp: Lotus and citrus. Kind of sweet.

Wet: Lotus and some other kind of floral. I can't nail down what floral it is, but it's thick and heavy.

Dry: LILIES. OMG lilies. Like a teeny tiny room full of blooming Easter lilies with no ventilation. UGH. Stiflingly thick and oppressing lilies. There's still a subtle sweetness underneath it, but the lily is so powerful that I can't handle it. I had to scrub it off. I used to like the smell of lily when I was younger, but it's so connected to death and funerals to me now that I just can't stand it when it's a stand alone scent.

In the imp: fruit salad with jasmine and some bubblegum.

On my skin: jasmine and lilies takes the lead over the fruit salad the bubblegum has gone off somewhere to hide from the ginormous florals.

Not one for me, off to the swap pile little imp.

In the bottle: lotus and some sort of light floral. the amber perhaps explains the slight spiciness, and the citrus reminds me of yuzu tisanes with honey. sweet, but not overwhelming, kind of like an orchard in very drippy golden sunshine in the late afternoon. too warm to do much of anything other than stare up at the sky and daydream.

On my skin: apples! sweet ones, with thin skins that aren't tart. the lotus comes through sleepily, and the flowers are lightly crushed, like you've been napping on them. I must admit, it sort of reminds me of department store perfumes: very traditional, florals and fruit. not in a bad way, because the apples and lotus make me a little sleepy and sweet, but it's not what I'm looking for.

Last thoughts: the amber remains a mystery until the perfume is fully dry. I suspect the amber may be what keeps this from being entirely too sweet. it's quite traditional, at least in my opinion, which is nice but not me. it does have a tendency towards soapy old lady perfume though, which is unfortunate.

Oh my dear lord. This is the first BPAL of literally hundreds that I have ever HATED. In the imp, all I get is dirty diaper. Sharp, fresh poo. I daren't even try it on my skin, it turns my stomach. I don't know what it is, either. All the notes sound good, they sound like they'd work together, on paper it looks great. This is a surprise and a bit of a mystery.

Usually I like lotus, so I don't know what went wrong here. I think there's jasmine in this, and *that's* where the real trouble is. Can't find citrus, and I don't think I smell amber, either, just the bad jasmine sort of scent, with lotus underneath. Dries down to a powdery (there's the amber?) lotus and jasmine. Meh.

Lotus. Kind of a bubble-gummy jasmine. I don't like lotus or jasmine, but I can sometimes handle them in small doses, but this is not small doses. Plus it has a powdery amber in it. Ugh. This is really not working for me at all. I very rarely wash off a perfume, but this one... eek.

IMP: pungent, sticky sweet, overly ripe

WET ON SKIN: I think I smell lotus. I smell a very ripe fruityness. Like sopping wet flowers that are on the verge of rotting. Not digging it so far. lots of honeysuckle, which isn't entirely unpleasant but even that very strong note is dominated by the rotting fruit/blossom smell.

LATER: SO MUCH LOTUS. This is a very intense smell, the kind that makes my nose twitch and try to wiggle away. :( Do not want.

In the imp -- bubblegum with something dry and flowery

Wet -- still bubblegum with that floral note. Not a good combination.

Dry -- gets a little softer, but still the overall impression is bubblegum. Not for me.

Either there is a touch of jasmine in this or lotus does the exact same thing that jasmine does on my skin. It took more than two hours to get past that sour jasmine smell before something nicely floral finally popped. And that lasted all of 10 minutes before it started going all plasticky on me. I have yet to detect any amber. Meh.

Off to the swap pile you go.

It was great when first on, and for about an hour after that. I smelled like bubblegum with a bit of burnt sugar - quite nice. But, then, the evil funeral-home flower smell visited and wouldn't go away. I applied this 5 hours ago, and it's still going strong. Gag. At least I can say it has staying power.

In the Imp jasmine and bubblegum...cheap bubblegum :P

wetok the bubblegum smell is tolerable on my skin but now the florals have gone all fake and plastic smelling

drythe good news? the plasticy bubblegum scent fades pretty quick. The bad news? so does the rest of the perfume! All thats left is a very faint nondescript floral scent. I am not a big fan of this one at all.

Definitely get the fruityness from Forbidden Fruit which is normally death for me since most of the fruity scents have given me headaches thus far, but I think it might be the lotus or amber that helps keep this one from being washed off right away. Never did get the bubblegum stage that I read a lot about here. For me Forbidden Fruit turned out to be a light florally citrus scent. Not bad, but not really me.

In the imp: Yummy pink bubblegum! There is also something "green" in here that makes me think of flower stems..

On me: Pink bubblegum, then immediately after I get old water from a vase with flowers and a lot of citrus. After just a few minutes Forbidden Fruit turns into completely ordinary, liquid hand soap. And not the best hand soap either.

Half an hour later: Very faint sweet plastic.

I don't know what went wrong here, but I'm soooo sad! I really liked the bubblegum-stage and wish it could have stayed a little longer.