Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
lorajc

Baneberry

A poisonous fruit-bearing member of the buttercup family. The scent, like the plant, is dark green, herbal, and plump with bulging black fruit.

In the imp I get a lot of green, and not much else..

Wet, it's much the same as in the imp. Very green.
As it dries down the scent becomes very sharp. I'm not really getting any fruit, just a very sharp green scent. It's actually making my eyes water quite a bit.. Soon the sharpness fades away, but sadly, I'm only left with soap. Edited by Shollin

this smells like a dishwasher detergent to me. a nice one, though, but it's still very soapy and not really wearable. green, sharp and soapy. would probably make an interesting layering note.

In the bottle: Green and juicy with a bit of what smells like Indian spice. Emphasis on juicy- it does have a strong berry or fruit note that's lovely and wet.

Wet: It actually becomes more green, but like... juicy green berries. :3 The green sharpness and deep juicyness meld together. The fruit is amped on me

too, I think. It almost smells like the juicy inside of leaves with berries on the side. :P I make no sense, I know.

Dry: Continues to green, almost becomes green grass. Berries are present, but quieter.

It's nice and juicy, very color-oriented scent... could be a good summer scent but it's pretty heavy in it's own juicy way.

this is all dark fruit on me and I love it!!!

I'm not the person to wear fruity scents, especially not berries, but this works! nothing green, just dark berries with some herbs, I think I've found one fruity scent I can wear. :)

Wowser... this is powerful. I've seen people describe the initial scent as Christmas'y and that is quite accurate. But with the Christmas scent is something almost wine-like. It is a bright scent and a little overwhelming. I can taste it.

I like it but it is not a slathering scent.

This has a pungent, herbal smell in the imp. On my skin, it's sharp and green while it's wet. As it's drying, the berries emerge and it gets sweeter and and a bit soapy. It's too bad about the soapiness, but overall it's a lovely, sweet, green scent.

Decant: sharp, green, piney, faint tart berry

Wet on Me: Christmas-y! evergreenish, very faint tart spicy berry

Drying Down: This just gets better and better and better. Christmas Berry! Which is nothing like a juicy sweet summer berry. This is cold and dark and winter-y and green and sharp spicy berry.

Dry: completely in love with this. When I walk into the Kirklands Store in the mall…it smells like this. I wanna just roll around in this scent. Must acquire more.

Wet on the skin this smelled very dark green, like dripping wet fern leaves, but with a "clean" smell that bordered on Irish Spring soap smell, with a tiny hint of blackberry juice.

After it had dried down a bit, the clean/soap smell faded in and out amidst the berry scent. I think the description of this is really accurate, it does have lots of dark green leafy smell, mixed with herbals and berries.

This scent was different than most BPAL scent I tried in that I put a tiny amount of this on and it just wafted all around me, scenting the room and myself. I don't know that I would use a bottle of this, but it has a really fresh scent, good for the rainy/hot weather we're having right now.

In the bottle: a sweet, dark berry with a spicy green undertone. Like berries found in a shady forest, ripe and tangy. I love it. On my skin: wet, I smell rich berries and a crisp, evergreen scent. Not pine, precisely, but... maybe juniper? It reminds me of winter - dark, sweet and cool. As it dries, it starts to smell like a Christmas candle. It's a lovely blend of berry and evergreen, but I don't like smelling of potpourri. Hm... as I wait for it to evolve, the scent only resembles candle/room fragrance more and more strongly. I like it, but I'm not certain I love it as a perfume. I might try again near the Winter Solstice, but I suspect I'll be passing this imp along.

Imp: incredibly fresh, slightly woodsy, slightly citrusy.

Wet: Grapefruit? Clean bamboo sort of scent, a bit of a pale musk. Very clean and fresh. Not what I expect from anything with "berry" in the name...

Drying: gets stronger and a little darker, but its still very much a clean, slightly citrusy bamboo musk to my nose.

Dry: Continues to get darker and darker so that the black fruits take the lead…maybe plum and blackberry together? This is complimented by an undercurrent of bright citrus/musk. For that reason it reminds me a bit of antonino, though this is far less complex and not as creamy/sweet. It has some major staying power. I can stil smell a grapey/berry the next morning, 10 hrs later.

Overall: wow, what a morpher! Complex and very nice. Not something I'd really wear much, but glad I got to try it!

At first, Baneberry is tart blackberries with sharp vines coiling around them. Tantalizing. As it dries, the blackberry becomes more prominent, lush, juicy and beguiling. I want to reach into the greenery and pluck them out and smear them all over my face. The throw on this one is pretty impressive. The green notes become darker, more menacing, so rethink my blackberry eating binge, and revel in its herbal-berry glory instead. Dry, Baneberry is a little musky, but still predominantly dark, sharp green and blackberry. I could see myself wearing this again.

Surprisingly nice! Not a big fan of foody scents, but got this as a frimp from the lab and thought I'd try it. I don't know if I'd wear it necessarily, but I really like the combination of woodsy / medicinal / herbal and fruity, it's dark and sharp, and quite delicious! Reminds me of rooting through forest underbrush for wild raspberries and blackberries as a child. I honestly never thought I'd like any scent from the Garden, due to my bias against food and floral scents, but I was pleasantly surprised.

In the bottle baneberry mostly smells of well... berry.

On me though the hearbal-ness really comes out strong and I hardly get any berry. It definitely has a "greeness" too it as well.

I like this because I don't like overly sweet berry scents (which is like 95% of them out there). Unfortunately I'm not a big herbal person but this is still a very nice scent. Just maybe not for me.

Note: got this one used in a purchase. Cobalt bottle but with a colored label, so it looks like this is aged a bit. Not sure when they switched from using the cobalt bottles?

In bottle, there was almost a medicinal smell that surprised me. When wet, it almost reminded me of Irish Spring soap (has to be the herbs), but then on the drydown, the berries come out. This is a dark berry, not a bright berry. It turns out quite pretty. I’d put this as a summer scent, but for evening.

I smell berries and herbs. The berries are sweet and strong, as if they were pressed for their juice or cooking. Definite green herbs, a very natural feel to it.

Juicy purple berries, alot of greenery and the unmistakeable scent of herbs. Although it feels very summery, there is a cold note that blasts through the blend every once in awhile. This is one of my favorite Rappa blends, because it's herbal, green and the fruit is not very sweet.

Ripe and green and juicy! Baneberry is one of my favorite GC scents and it is as close as I have ever come to envisioning pure green, spring and fertility. It comes off as more fruity than herbally on application but the herbal comes out only the lightest bit with wear. Which is good! I like fruity above herbally, generally speaking.

In the imp, I can smell dark purple berries, or even blackberries, combined with fresh greenery in the background. Wet, it doesn't change too much. It becomes slightly brighter on my skin, but it still remains darkly berryish. It gets slightly muskier on my skin too. While I kind of see my where people are getting soap from, my nose translates it as musk.

From the imp: Berry's !!

Wet: cleaning product :( with a hint of something fruity

(i did tried baneberry before it was powdery berry then)

Dry: More sweetness settles less cleaning product but it's still there.

Overal: i had high hopes for this one because i love fruity scents, i will be keeping the imp en try it later again ^_^

I can barely smell this. If I really concentrate there is something light and clean, but it is pretty much non-existent on me. I wonder if there is pomegranate in this, because pom makes things disappear on me...

Initially, the berry smell (blueberries? blackberries? both?) was very strong, and very heavy. That phase lasted for about six hours, and the other six were dominated by a fruity/musky smell. The second phase was ok, but it wasn't anything that I really cared to smell like. I must not have the right body chemistry for this, as it definitely wasn't swirling around me in a glorious way. It was more like I had fallen across an overripe patch of pokeberries and they had stained all my clothes.

In bottle: It’s very much what you’d expect from the description. It’s a darker, richer sort of bayberry: dark ripe berries, with a complex dark green herbal thing going on around it. It’d be excellent in December, I think, and I genuinely like it, as it’s managing to be fruity and vicious without being foody. Nice. Wet: poison berry dominant. The dark green herbal thing is, if anything, more rich and complex than in the bottle. It makes me think of decorative advent greens without being pine and all. It stronger and has more claws than the average bay berry scent. I keep wanting to sniff it again. Dry: It is less sharp and striking than it was, and rather more candle store/bath and body. It’s still quite nice, but no longer mesmerizing.