Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
blackrayne

Gluttony

Thick, sugared and bloated with sweetness. Dark chocolate, vanilla, buttercream, and hops with pralines, hazelnut, toffee and caramel.

It's a very rich and syrupy smell. I'm not actually a fan of it, it was just too heavily sweetened and smelled kind of artificial both in the imp and on me. It's too foody, like I spilt syrup on my clothes or hair.

In the vial: Buttercream & caramel. Very foody

Wet: This is too heavy for my taste. Smells like something sweet burning.

Dry: Creamy, buttery caramel

Overall: This is headache-inducing foody. Not for me.

In the bottle: Hot caramel with a dark cocoa and... gingerbread? It smells a little spicy.

Wet: CINNAMON. I went over to my brother and he recoiled XD He said I smelled like Cinnamon Toast Crunch covered in sugar.

Dry down: I'm getting a tiny bit of chocolate and more of the caramel. Still very cinnamon-ish on me, for some reason. Not entirely what I was expecting, but I do like it all the same.

It's the longest lasting on me so far, which is really nice. The throw is fantastic! Just a normal application and people across a room notice a "faint smell of cinnamon sugar" while it's not overly strong up close.

In bottle: Butter and cinnamon.

On me, wet: The butter smell fades a bit (a good thing), and the cinnamon comes into the foreground.

On me, drying: Definitely not smelling any chocolate. I’m getting strong, sugary cinnamon with a buttery foundation. Pralines and hazelnut are playing supporting roles. Toffee and caramel? Maybe. This is very, very sweet.

Verdict: I thought I would love all of these sweet foody scents, but so far they’ve been kind of cloying and artificial on me. Not loving it.

Imp: oh. Food. Sweet food. I get the praline and the buttercream and hazelnut

Wet on me: WOAH….the sweet and nut is very strong.

Drying down: oh man…this is food. This is just not smelling well in my nose.

Dry: sorry…confirms I’m not a foody.

Beer, herbs, fatty butter and chocolate. :huh:

Gluttony is just too heavy, syrupy and stale for me. I'm not tempted by this sin at all!

Yow that's a lotta caramel! I was just at Coldstone Creamery, and this is a much larger feast of sweets than the real thing. And it just doesn't let up!

Gluttony smells like a cake that's beginning to turn moldy. Not for me, but for those of you whose skin chemistries get along with Gluttony, it has incredible staying power.

Edited by melrose

Toasted nuts and caramel with some dark cocoa. I have the feeling this will get "Hallmark candle" review from DH, but I kind of like it. Not enough to wear it again, though so off to the swaps.

I'm a massive foody-scent lover, so I'm surprised it's taken me so long to try this. It's not exactly what I expected, though.

Wet, it's strong, almost cloying buttercream, sort of like a more intense Hellcat without the boozy notes. Drying down, it becomes mellower, less sharp sweetness and more spice. Oddly, it doesn't smell like anything listed in the description quite as much as it smells like... s'mores made with cinnamon graham crackers, or cinnamon toast with syrup. Definitely something cinnamony, even though I have no idea where that's coming from given the notes listed. It's nice, but there are other straight-up foody scents I prefer, like Drink Me.

edit: A few more interesting observations on Gluttony-- fully dry, it developed a strange burnt, metallic, almost ozone-y tang on me. I like the combination of sweet and sharp notes, it's why Splatter Comedy is one of my favorites, but I have no idea why my skin chemistry is doing that with this. Maybe some sort of caramelized/burnt sugar note? Hm.

Also, I wore this today and got chased by bees a lot. So maybe it's not such a good idea in the summer/early fall/anytime when insects are out and active. :eek:

Edited by kerikeri

I would like to preface this with the admission that I tried an imp of this a long time ago, when I first began with BPAL. At that time, it smelled as though Cinnabon had crawled inside me and begun oozing from my skin.

Lo and behold, several months ago I was frimped an imp of this with an order. It was a completely different experience, as follows:

Imp: caramel, sugar; sweet and syrupy, like a macchiato.

Wet: caramel, coffee; less sweet than the imp

Dry: creamy, caramel-vanilla latte

This smells delicious, and in no way overwhelming; a testament to giving scents a second chance.

In the imp, I get a scent that's almost like the cake base in Cake Smash, only more chocolately and really, really rich. On my skin, the chocolate fades a bit, and I get a similar nommy spice to what was in Cake Smash. Seriously, this is like Cake Smash lite on me. Which is a bit odd. But still nommy. And with a bit of coffee and chocolate thrown in. And again with the wanting to eat my wrists, and lingering, though a bit faint towards the end.

This is going to be a bottle scent, but not a high priority one, as I have Cake Smash to go through first. Think like a GC backup of a LE scent.

Edited by Venneh

I have wanted to try this for a long time, but I kept getting other bottles first instead. Recently I procured a bottle of Gluttony and yesterday was my first try with it.

I don't smell dark chocolate in this at all, or any chocolate for that matter. What I do smell in the bottle is toffee, caramel and nuts. Same when I put it on.

Dry it is rich and lingering. I also put this in my locket for extra effect. A co-worker told me I smelled like baked goods case :)

I am a foody scent addict. I love Gluttony.

Imp: I ordered Gluttony because I have this weird thing about wanting to try the whole GC. So I got it. And I smelled it expecting it to be almost unbearably sweet and foody. And? It's not. You know why? Because when I sniff the imp I smell dark chocolate, vanilla, toffee and poultry seasoning. SRSLY. Just a little hint of rosemary and marjoram in there. SO WEIRD!

Wet: ACK! There's the unbearable foodiness. I keep my arm away from my face and let it dry down.

Dry: This loses a lot of complexity on me and dries down to a basic chocolate with a hint of vanilla. It's rich and cloying and there are notes I can't really describe but this isn't as wackadoodle terrifying as I expected. It's certainly not okay on my chemistry but it's not the epic failure I expected. So it's a pleasant surprise even if I never want to try this again.

Throw: Moderate.

Overall: I reread this review for spelling errors and realized that I'm the wackadoodle here. If you want to try the whole GC, just go for Gluttony. Otherwise, unless you are a serious perfume gourmand I wouldn't recommend this one.

When I first read the description for Gluttony, I thought "yum!"

When I went through my first sets of imps giving everything an introductory sniff, I thought, "woah! that's STRONG"

I've been going through all my imps and one night, when I got to Gluttony, I was conservative and only swiped the wand on the side of my wrist once. ONCE.

Thoughts upon first sitting there smelling Gluttony, "wow, that IS strong."

Within a half hour I was nauseous. Really nauseous. I had to go wash it off.

I say that Gluttony has been made to perfection. Not that I can wear it....

UGH.

TONS of hazelnut and caramel and other bloated-sweet things, mostly nuts. It lingered in my nose for hours after I tried to wash it off.

Edited by cinderfallen

Just adding to everyone else, here. Gluttony, on me, is heavy, boozy, fatty, syrupy-sweet NUTS. It turns my stomach sometimes it's so rich, but it was the perfect choice to wear today, Thanksgiving! I think my lone imp will likely last me a looooong time.

I have a real sweet tooth....and this just smells YUMMY.

I would say this is the strongest BPAL scent I own. Lots of throw and staying power even with very light application.

It's not much of a morpher on me. It goes on as an intense, slightly burnt caramel with some cinnamon and cocoa and stays that way...for hours and hours.

For me this is a definite keeper :)

In the imp: Chocolate, caramel and nuts. Decadent.

Wet: Caramel. Sugar. Cocoa. Nuts.

Dry: Cinnamon. Ginger. Burned sugar. Nuts. Vanilla. I seem to be in a dessert alternate reality!

A while later: A gorgeous scent of slightly burned sugar, over caramel and vanilla. I smell like a crème brulee on my wrist. With a sprinkle of cocoa powder and some extra caramel beside. Delicious.

In the imp: Sweet sweet sweet as a thick layer of a milkshake. I normally doesn`t wear chocolate scents but this was included in a swap and... I went to the LAB and read their thoughts on it with a new mind: New mind in the form of that I now had the scent. As I read on I was more and more curios and I opened the imp, The thick scent almost scared me away at first, then I thought: "Now when I have a full imp it deserves to be tested!"

I took a little amount on my right arm and forgot about it. Then after an hour my cousin came by. She stopped, looked at me and asked if I had eaten chocolate cake and forgot to wash my hands, which I never forget. I said that it was perfume oil and she said: "It smells like chocolate cake with a lot lot of butter"

I think that describes it well: Chocolate at first then blended with butter.

Now I like it just like the other LAB chocolate scents. This is not a scent I would buy a bottle of to myself, but I will always have an imp of it for days when I feel like eating candy.

This is basically the most indulgent, fattening dream dessert orgy ever possible in a scent. :yum: It's sweet, thick and downright mouthwatering! The vanilla, buttercream and caramel are the strongest notes, but the others definitely are evident. I don't really get a sense of the hops that much, but my skin amps sweet stuff and probably went crazy with all the sweets in there. This stuff is scentgasmic :wub2:

Oh god, this is ridiculous. Creamy, cloying, indulgent, sweet, food over food, syrupy and caramel-y. What did I expect? It's called Gluttony, that's what it's supposed to be! Wow. I don't even know where to start. It's very tasty, but I wish I could make out more of the pralines and the hazelnuts, it's mostly just chocolate, buttercream and caramel. It made a great room scent, but I can't imagine wearing it.

In the imp: Ooooooohh yuuuuuuuuum!

Wet on skin: Cake!

Dry on skin: Now it smells like some kind of cinnamon-y pastry. While it's nice, I prefer it wet. Good thing I have a locket!

ETA: The cinnamon smell has died down. Now it's more like a... praline, hazelnut, snickerdoodle cookie smell. Even though I've been wearing a slight smear of this on one wrist for a couple of hours, it's still wafting up and getting my attention. This scent has amazing throw and staying power! I need a big bottle of it!

Edited by Phantasmagoria

I got an imp of this in a swap, I think. It had an old label so it is very clearly aged. I haven't tried a more recent blend of this, so I'm not sure how it differs.

Anyway, it is very strong in the hazlenut dept to me. I do like hazlenut (very strange, but my dog smells like it...I dunno, weird!!!) so that pleased me, but the issue is that I could not imagine putting this on my skin. So, I put it in my oil burner instead and that is certainly the best way for me to enjoy this one. Our bedroom is small, so it really filled the air quite nicely and was a nice contrast to the horrific cold that we have been experiencing in Minnesota!! I'm not sure that I would necessarily buy or use this one too often as I'm not much into the foodier scents as I thought I might be, but it certainly did make my home smell sweet, warm, and lovely even after it had burned off.