Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Green herbs slithering through mint, lime and lavender.

Frimp from the lab. Not a scent I would have ever picked on my own.

Envy starts out as VERY minty on my skin. Makes me think of minty gum. The herbs are in there too. As it dries down, the lavender comes out in a big way. And while the lavender is pretty, I definitely don't like the herbal mintiness of this one. Sadly, I get no lime at all which is a note I really like a lot.

Spearmint. Not sweet or candy-like at all, but sharp, sparkling and astringent. The lavender and lime make it smell grassy -- the mint has crept into the lawn and been mowed. But it's not the hot summery mown grass smell, it's cold. In the bottle and first on it's searingly cool.

This is very pleasant, but it doesn't even last an hour. It doesn't really change much, just fades and gets gently soapy as the lavender comes out. For a little while it was as if Yardley's had made mint-lavender soap, but at the end I just smell as if I've used Yardley lavender soap. I do use Yardley lavender soap and don't have much call for an oil that smells the same. It might be interesting to see if the effect of Wilde on Envy on Yardley lavender soap is different from the effect of Wilde on Yardley lavender soap.

Probably I'll just use up the imp for quick cool-down effect this summer. Some of the short-lived BPALs go through so many little changes on me that their brief lives are fabulously entertaining, but this one doesn't do much and the oils I buy are usually those with staying power.

A complimentary imp from the ever-generous Lab.

In the vial and freshly applied, Envy is bright lime and mint. It begins to dry and the lavender appears. The mint burns off in fifteen minutes or so, leaving mostly lime and lavender, and a hint of possibly basil? Or something like basil, green and grassy and ever so slightly watery sweet. Over about two hours, it mellows and fades down to the barest cool skin scent. Though short-lived, I find it exceedingly pleasant throughout.

The effect of Envy is to be clean and clarifying (a bit ironic, considering the concept, which is anything but). I tend to use my imp in the early mornings, when cleaning the house, or when my sinuses feel like they need some light, soothing refreshment. Something that couldn't possibly be irritating. I think Envy would be amazing made into a light spritzer or spray.

Although it does smell very good to me, given the short skin life, it seems more like an aromatherapeutic blend than a perfume blend.

Sharply green and limey in the imp and wet on my skin, but almost immediately goes to mint before making a swift shift to the lavender. Wish it would stick around longer because the lavender is quite nice, but it's almost gone 3 hours after application.

Got this imp from a forumite.

In the imp: Minty!

Wet: Minty and herbal. Pleasant but pretty straightforward.

Drydown: The mint and herbs linger - a mint exactly like toothpaste isn't (to steal a phrase structure from Douglas Adams), and the lavender comes out. At least I think it must be that - the floral is quite gentle and I never would have identified it as lavender!

In any case, the whole melange becomes complex and more like perfume than an herb garden. The lime seems to be peeking through in a friendly way - much milder than the Muse version that I couldn't take. This is a great summer perfume, and I might need a bottle before next June!

In the bottle, it's sharper than I was expecting--not so much mint as forest herbs crushed underfoot, with a a muskiness that's also unexpected. The scent isn't as clean-and-green as the description implies, although the name might've been a hint. On first application there's a balsamy tang, like a herbal shampoo, with at last a hint of mint underlying it. But after about 15 minutes it's like the scent disintegrated. Nothing but a faint mint, like the inside of an empty Altoids tin. At this point I went to work and didn't sniff again for about four hours--it was completely gone, not even a trace. It's a shame because I liked it a lot for the first fifteen minutes.

Envy starts out with lime, mint, and lavender - after about 30 minutes the only player left remaining is lavender with a faint grassy tinge. I wish the lime and mint hung around longer; it might have been worth keeping my decant if they did.

This scent really fits its name, as I can't imagine the seething girl eyeing that new dress of yours from across the room wearing anything else. For me, its not that longing, aching type of envy. Its a spiteful, bitter person who wants everything that isn't there's.

Wet on my skin, this smells like trampled grass and mint leaves, with the tiniest bit of lavender peeking through. I can just barely smell the lime. I think its because it plays so nicely with the other notes, giving the scent that bite without being too overpowering.

Dry, the lavender comes to the forefront, followed closely by the mint. The grass and lime seems to have disappeared altogether.

A very pleasant scent with a dark reminder to enjoy what you have, lest you turn into the green-eyed monster! :lol:

In the vial and freshly applied, Envy is bright lime and mint. It begins to dry and the lavender appears. The mint burns off in fifteen minutes or so, leaving mostly lime and lavender, and a hint of possibly basil? Or something like basil, green and grassy and ever so slightly watery sweet. Over about two hours, it mellows and fades down to the barest cool skin scent. Though short-lived, I find it exceedingly pleasant throughout.

I experience Envy pretty much exactly like this, so I just quoted it!

Unlike some folks who don't find Envy worthwhile because of its low throw and short duration, I think I may buy a bottle and keep it handy for slathering. It's so refreshing, and it makes me feel so good! I live in the South, and a scent like this is MUCH needed for about eight months out of the year.

Very green and sharp. Like it so far :) Reminiscent of spring flowers (that grow from bulbs)! I cannot pick out individual notes like mint and lavender.

Definitely a keeper!

In the imp: Oh my god, this is so pretty! Herbs and mint! It's like sniffing an herb garden!

On me, wet: MINT and some lime. And then all the herbs come out! It's really interesting...for all of half an hour, after which it's pretty much gone. It's a nice, soft grassy herbal scent that puts me less in the mind of all-consuming jealousy and more in the mind of sticking my nose into a window garden and getting a nice little whiff of the combination of herbs therein. As such, it's actually kind of a comforting scent.

On me, dry: A nice little herb garden close to the skin, with not much throw at all. It's not exactly straight-up gone, but it's not very there. Still, what I could smell, while not bottle-worthy, was a surprisingly nice little green scent and I'm glad I got to try it. :D

it's been a while since i've trying this one. I rememer it bening minty, grassy and awesome. however, I've had this imp for a while now.

No mint so far, just slightly old grass clippings and a little bit of sweet lavender. the grass note is killing it for me. Now the nice lavender is disappearing and its just that mostly dead grass smell. sigh...

I was planning on getting a bottle of this on my next order but I think its going to be a skip for me :(

The imp I have is mature - sniffing in the bottle, it's very 'green' - I can smell mint, herbs, and after checking what's supposed to be there, a hint of lime.

After putting it on, the lime goes away, and lavender becomes the primary note - lavender growing, surrounded by growing mint, wafting in the breeze on a sunny day. It is just gorgeous at this stage.

On dry-down, the mint has also slipped away and now it is a soft lavender - not astringent at all, but the sort of lavender in a sachet tucked under a pillow to aid with sweet dreams.

It quickly disappears, but that's ok with me - it lets me apply a bit more to experience that initial wet stage again.

This is less 'Envy' than a soothing antidote for times when envy strikes. Perfect for spring and summer, and I'll keep it on hand to use during the warmer months - it is cooling and soothing and not at all overpowering.

Imp: Astringent mint and lavender. This is strong. O_o

On my skin, it's a little sweeter - an herbal sweetness. It's refreshing smelling, although still astringent. I don't smell lime, exactly.

I prefer the Lick Its for my mint jolt, I think. This is kind of reminding me of fancy toothpaste. o_O

In the imp and wet on my skin, this was sharply herbal; my first impression is pure green, which of course is perfect for a scent named Envy! On dry down I could definitely smell the mint (mmm, and is it ever a lovely gorgeous mint: reminds me strongly of a freshly-picked sprig) coming out, with just a hint of the lime. Once dry, the bite of it fresh from the imp was still present, but it was mellowed out by the lime and the lavender, which had finally emerged, and mmmmm. This was absolutely lovely to smell.

I'm actually rather shocked by how much I liked this; I think this might very well be bottle worthy.

This smells like spearmint and eucalyptus on me. I get a hint of lavender in the background. This is a refreshing and relaxing scent, and could definitely work as a sleep oil. I like this but I probably wouldn't wear it as a perfume. It's something that would smell great as a bath oil or shower gel, I think I'm going to add a few drops of this to my next bath.

In the Imp Envy smells GREEN. I can't even pick out individual notes besides green.

Wet: The lavender comes to the forefront. The lime and mint chill in the background.

Dry: Lavender and lime soap? I smell very clean.

I kind of like this. Wish the mint showed up more but this isn't bad. I'm going to hold on to it for a while

In bottle: Peppermint dominant. The lime and lavender are cleverly designed soft support, but the mint makes it unwearable for me, alas.

Sadly, this is the first BPAL scent that I experience as "artificial", whatever that really means. And I don't know what's wrong with me, but I don't smell ANY mint that smells like an actual mint plant. I'm a newbie so my experience is a bit limited, but I think I have one or two other imps that are supposed to have mint notes and I can't smell mint in those either. Oh yeah...Yggrdrasil. Half the reviews swore they smelled mint, lots of mint, and I didn't at all.

Maybe this is what people mean when they complain that a scent goes "soapy" on them, but I pondered and pondered that "artificial" smell...like some kind of commercial product that I'd smelled before...like, maybe, shampoo...and then it hit me: this is almost EXACTLY what I remember Clairol Herbal Essence shampoo smelling like when I was a kid in the 70s. (I have no idea what the current version smells like, but I'm talking the old-school dark green stuff.)

Of course, once I got that memory in my head, that was all I could smell...Herbal Essence shampoo. Which is an interesting whiff of nostalgia, but not something I want to smell like today.

This was a frimp from the Lab.

In the imp: A strong fresh green scent.

Wet: The same.

Dry: Herbal greenness. It’s very fresh-smelling, and I can’t really distinguish any of the listed notes. I have worn and enjoyed BPALs with mint, lime, and lavender, but I’m not really smelling any of those. The three notes, blended together, are producing something I don’t recognize. It makes me think of Easter somehow; I think it’s the scent memories of visiting the florist with the smells of cut flowers and greenery, wearing a corsage on my coat, and the church full of flowers.

After a couple of hours I do feel a minty coolness on my arms where I applied the oil, but I still can’t smell the mint.

I think Envy would work better for me as a soap scent, or as a cool, fresh shower gel rather than a perfume.

In the imp: Green and fresh and herbal.

On skin, wet: Much the same as the first sniff, but with just a hint of lavender. Hopefully it won't take over.

On skin, dry: The lavender has vanished and it's once again just green and fresh and light.

After an hour: Still pretty much the same. Never got any mint or lime--this is a grassy and herbal green scent pretty much from start to finish. Nice enough, but not what I was hoping for.

I am very pleased I finally decided to get an imp of this - to me it's a perfect springtime perfume; it reminds me a lot of freshly-cut grass. It's definitely a green scent, but in a kind of fresh, sparkling way.

I held off trying it for ages because sometimes I find scents with lime in them remind me too much of boiled sweets; but I don't get that at all from Envy.

I wonder how it will smell as the imp ages (I use my BPAL up slowly!) and it's possible the freshness that I love might fade, but I'll keep wearing it and see.

Emma smells: lime, mint, green, herbs, lavender, floral

My Mom smells: lavender, green, herbs, floral

Josh smells : mild grass

I smell: green herbs, lime, lavender, floral; like a subdued and less floral version of Kate Spade Beauty

So far, I have smelled zero mint in any BPAL fragrance with mint on the billing. I don’t know if that’s because I have a subpar sniffer (which I am beginning to think is probably true; I do not have a nuanced nose) or because a lot of the mint lotion and shower gel I love so is relying on the much stronger menthol for its minty-ness. I really like this fragrance and would order a big bottle if not for the same problem with Embalming Fluid; it fades so quickly. It layers well with Embalming Fluid which does help to increase the staying power.

I'm feeling rather envious lately; let's see if this fits my mood! :P

In the imp: English lavender, which I love. Not sweet in the least; just that pure, perfect crisp lavender and maybe something minty.

On me: A tricky scent, straddling the line between good lavender and too-sharp herbal something. Yep, it does evoke a certain petulance. I don't think I really like it on me, but it captures the green-eyed monster nicely.