Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Dee

... His scent is soft English leather, rosewood and tonka with a hint of incense, parchment and soft woods.

I decided to get an imp to test out on my boyfriend, but I may just keep this for myself and not mention it to him! :lol:

It's that good. I can't really separate out the notes in this one, but I do know this smells absolutely wonderful. It smells gorgeously spicy and masculine, but not so masculine that I can't wear it myself. This is probably one of the sexiest scents I've smelled from Black Phoenix. I LOVE it.

I tried this yesterday, and will definitely be gettin me self a bottle. When I first sniffed it I thought of Cuir Ottoman by Parfum d’Empire. I had a sample of Cuir Ottoman I used up completely. Definitely a unisex blend, to me its a dab of sharp yet muffled leather and a drop or two of astringent incense softened up a great deal by the musky wood and paper notes. It last forever. :wub2:

Not sure quite how long I've had this, at least or so months minimum.

In the imp: wood, cedar?

Wet on: soft woods, hint of incense.

As it dries: still the soft woods, tempered with spicy incense. As a fan of historical romances, it's definitely a library in a ducal house. Somewhere the gentlemen retire to with their port and cigars/pipes. More specifically, the scent of the library the morning after, before the maids have had a chance to air the room. This is what I want my library/study to smell like in my dream house!!

The throw doesn't seem to be there for me, and I don't get the leather at all, it just all blends into a gorgeous smoky spicy books/pipes/sexy librarian scent.

In short: gorgeous, and when I can afford it I'm definitely getting a bottle!! An absolute keeper!

Pixie

Guess what, guys? FIRST BPAL REVIEW EVER! For me, at least. After years of trolling these boards and wondering what all the fuss was about, I finally placed an imp order. So, here's my first review. I'm a girl but was cross-dressing this morning for a class skit, so I thought Dee would be a nice thing to bring out a masculine side of myself =)

In the bottle: Woody, musty, spicy, strong, incensey.

On: It's been a few hours since I slathered this on...I've had an interesting experience with Dee. I'm not sure what I expected, but I don't think it was this...there's some very sweet smell, much like rose incense, that really amps on me. I don't love it, unfortunately--though this is in fact the first real perfume I've ever tried, I don't think I'm one for sweet, red smells like this. I put a bit of this on before bed last night so I could sniff it while falling asleep--that was interesting. Still that sweet smell, but also a definite hit of smoke--very cool.

The throw is sort of a complicated sweetness, musky and cobwebbed, a library like others have said. But a very perfumey one. Musty flowers? I like this, but I don't feel it's definitively me. Worth it, of course, for the chance to experience one of Beth's smell-pictures =)

ADDED March 15:

A more conclusive second try: Now that I've had a little more time with other smells, I think I shall say finally that unlike everyone else, not a fan of Dee. I got Dee because it sounded so interesting--because I love Victoriana, and libraries, and science above all. And I honestly like the smell, to a degree--it's dusty and murky, smoky with a hint of leather. It smells like men's cologne, a little gritty, floral, dry as a bone. Unfortunately, it has a powdery floral quality and the edge of the smoke gives me an instant headache. I don't do swaps yet but would like to with this. Will not be wearing it again, unfortunately. Ah well! Fare thee well, my dear John Dee!

Edited by Shollin

When I first put Dee on, it smelled like a greasy dude in a leather jacket who practically bathed in cheap, crappy cologne. Gross!

But then, the drydown happened... About half an hour later, Dee evolved into that sexy old-timey library that I had read people raving about and I couldn't stop huffing my wrists all day. What a charmer! Who knew that the sleazeball would turn into a soft-spoken gentleman in an old library with wooden shelves full of leather-bound books and a little bit of sweet wafting smoke?

Conclusion: Dee initially smells awful, but the end-results are worth the wait. I'll probably save this one for times when I want to feel nerdy-hot.

I am so, so, SO GLAD I got this for my husband!!! Oh my God...it's a very sexy scent and whenever he wears it, I'm quite literally attached to him. Unfortunately, whenever I try to think of how best to describe it, my brains go out the window.

(I also dabbed a little on myself once out of curiosity, but it becomes something too masculine for me. This is his scent, and it works magnificently on him.)

5 stars. :wub2:

In the Vial: I can smell all the notes in Dee (well, I'm not entirely sure about the parchment, but I can kind of see it), and they all blend together so well. Warm, spicy woods and leather. The incense is a little sharp, but the tonka keeps the entire blend fairly soft.

Wet: The woods and incense flare up for a quick second, and it gets an almost an evergreen feel, but then the tonka kicks them in the face and makes this very sweet. On the drydown, this is reminding me strongly of Verdandi - I'm even imagining a phantom apple note.

Dry: Mmmmm. No, wait: MMMMM. This is 25% clean, 25% sweaty, and 50% PURE SEX. It still has a very Verdandi feel, but it's like Verdandi's older and much more morally depraved brother. It's masculine, without a doubt, but sweet enough to be worn well by women. I hope I'm not speaking too soon, but neither the rose nor the leather are amping, as they usually do on me - everything is still really balanced.

An Hour Later: This is the scent of being at the cottage at the end of autumn, curled up on the couch with your lover, wood piled up beside the woodstove that's keeping you warm. It's warm, woodsy, rugged, smoky, just a little sweet, and oh so sexy.

Overall: LOVE. I've already tried this on the boyfriend and it was amazing on him, and although I really like it on myself, too, the image and feeling it evokes tells me that it's a better blend for him than me. If I can convince him to wear it (he never wears cologne aside from me slathering things on him), this will be a bottle purchase!

Edited by imaginepageant

This is pretty. Reminds me of a lighter, less cologne-esque version of The Lurid Library. The leather note is really lovely in this though, so that sets it apart from LL and makes it scrumptious: cracked parchment with smoky soft worn in leather and a touch of incense and smoke. I like this a lot but would wear LL in place of it. The more I wear this though, the more I love it. I just wish it had more throw. This stays extremely close to skin on me and that is even IF I SLATHER. Smells wonderful, but the throw will prevent me from getting a bottle. I should try layering this with Lurid Library!

I am going to have to come back and edit this for a better scent description, but this is the first time I have smelled something an it immediately whisked me back in time and made me think of an Edwardian gentleman out for a walk in a long velvet coat.

Sniff: Hello, cologne! Sharp and spicy. I'm not sure what that is - the rosewood maybe? There might be some sandalwood in here too.

Wet: There’s a hint of woods, but mainly this is still sharp cologne. I’m not sure I dig the high-pitched tone.

Dry: Ah, now that’s the stuff! This morphs from screaming astringent top note to a warmth that is like amber mixed with brown musk. The leather is very subtle, just a soft supporting note. This definitely has a masculine feel, very traditional and clean. I really don’t like the beginning phase, but once it dries down, it’s quite pleasant.

To me, Dee is all tonka and leather with wood in a supporting role. I like it. It walks a line: maybe a little leathery for some ladies, maybe a little sweet for some gents. If I didn't pick up the weird preserved leather note (almost slightly sour) that I get from Shrunken Heads, I'd endorse this more fully. I don't get much parchment. I think Antikythera Mechanism is similar in some ways and better. I realize it isn't a leather scent, but it is a vanilla-wood old timey masculine/unisex scent. I guess I group all my sweet masc/unisex scents together and find AM to be the clear leader of the bunch. But I encourage everyone with an affinity for the notes to give Dee a whirl, it is well blended and really nice.

I had high hopes for this one. Leather, wood, tonka, parchment? It sounds like it should be a lazy summer afternoon on a leather couch, thumbing through textbooks.

It wound up far too sharp and acidic for me, very cologne smelling. I can’t pick any notes out of it at all, which upsets me more than it should.

I thought it was just reacting to my skin strangely, so I attempted dabbing it on my jacket. It didn’t help.

By the end of the day, it’s all fabric softener and cologne, to me. Disappointed.

Hot damn this good. Worn leather and woods, hints of incense, all sweetened with tonka. It's so sexy and comforting, and it reminds me of B. I will definitely be passing all my imps of Dee to my husband, but will keep one for myself when he's away, so I can huff it and feel like he is right beside me.

Edited by Schmoozy

In the imp, it's very woody and the incense is quite strong. It's a little off-putting but I have a feeling it will meld with my skin wonderfully.

Wet, the parchment flourishes. This smells like an old library in a very, very good way.

Dry, the incense becomes more powerful, but it's not so strong that it overpowers everything else. I have a tendency to amp incense in a very bad way, so I'm surprised this works as well as it does. Hooray!

My husband tried it as well; his only comment was, "it smells like pizza Scratch 'n' Sniffs." :huh: Curse his luddite nose!! It smelled a lot different on him: all incense all the time. I like it better on me. :)

First perfume experience ever, first BPAL experience ever, first review - you're watching history in the making, kids.

I will also say my sniffer is not particularly trained or good at perfume, so take all this with a grain of salt.

Reason for getting - A few people recommended it for a masculine scent. It fell under the Broscent part of my WANT!list (as opposed to the genderneutral Whoascent or the not so gender neutral Hoscents). Also, John Dee. What a boss.

In bottle - Men's cologne, but a very soft, light one.

On skin wet - I can't quite identify any of the scents individually (this could be more an an experience thing) , but I think I can pick up on the leather, the woods and the incense. It's a light scent at first and then it lingers a bit more powerfully in your nose (which I think is the doing of the incense.)

After a few minutes, this gets a little sweeter, with the rosewood and a hint of the leather shining through. Not as much leather as I would have liked.

On skin dry - And the incense is back. Hello, incense. The woods are still kind of there and the leather is being a little tease. Come on, leather, baby. You know I love you, you know I want you. I know I've piqued your interest, but you just won't put out.

In Short: It's very Victorian and nice - it's perfectly evocative of John Dee, actually, so super kudos. I just don't think I'm the John Dee it is looking for. But we can be friends, Dee, it's not you, it's me. I may hang on to it in case I ever feel like emulating that scholarly feel but I don't think it is signature scent worthy for me. Actually, it strikes me as something my brother might like.

This all could be off since my scent palate hasn't been the same today since accidentally shoving Scherazade up my nose. Will edit later.

Wet this was sharp, almost astringent. It softens a bit after it dries but it still has a green almost but not quite pine like smell in the background. I guess I get some leather but it's very soft. Overall this is lighter than I thought it would be and I think it's a good unisex scent. My skin soaked it up pretty quickly and I'd need to reapply often. I don't like the wet stage so it doesn't make sense to get a bottle. I was hoping this would be a good woodsy/warm scent but I guess this imp will go in the swap box :(

Well I've tried and tried to come up with a way to review of this scent while keeping the wording of it PG-13. So instead I'll just allude to a few things and let the reader figure out the rest.

1) It's a very attracting scent.

2) It's unisex, but would probably suit a man more than a woman.

3) I don't care if you're a guy or gal.. if you wear this around me.. I may want to make out with you. :blush:

Enough said. You've been warned. :lol:

Edited by rawgirl75

In the vial: Faint leather and spiced woods.

Freshly applied: This is good! Incense and a faint hint of leather.

Drying: Definitely getting a liquid, cologne vibe made more interesting by the incense. Dry parchment is starting to come up from the back with some rosewood not far behind it. I'm really getting a similar vibe that I've seen posted in this topic of an old, Victorian library/study.

Later: I totally feel like I'm sitting in a Victorian study (though I guess Elizabethan would be better for the actual John Dee) next to a shelf of old leather-bound books while incense burns in the background. Borrowed my friends' noses and they commented about the nice throw length as well. Far reaching but not overpowering. This is a very, very good scent, and definitely something I'm thinking of getting in a bottle.

Edited by maoric

The leather was the main note when I first applied this, along with what I thought were herbal somethings, but there aren't any herbs listed in the description so maybe that was the incense, somehow? Anyway, the herbal quality faded quickly as the rosewood came out. After about ten minutes the woods had strengthened, the incense was noticeable as incense, there was a bit of not-excessive sweetness from the tonka, and the leather balanced the mix. The rosewood kept amping on my skin during drydown, which is fine because I like it, and it never quite took over. After a couple of hours the scent is primarily leather, rosewood, and tonka, which are rather lovely together. It's got good staying power, too--I can still smell what I applied to my wrists over 12 hours ago. I may buy a bottle of this.

This is an amazing winter scent. Slightly masculine. Very long lasting, very original. Fabulous aged a few years. Mostly a smoky leather with maybe a hint of vanilla and wood?

Edited by Megank4

I've just applied this 10 minutes ago and I am literally huffing my wrist like a scent addict, haha. :blush:

Dee is a scent I would LOVE...to smell on a guy. I smell a salty rose (my nose likes to turn leather into salt apparently) and the ashes leftover from burning my cedar incense sticks. It's very warm and dry and cozy, familiar and worn-in and a little bit sexy, softly masculine, not in a harsh way but it just makes me think of a refined, older gentleman and not something i would want to smell like myself.

Edited by Drae

ITI:I get a recently polished leather scent that is steeped in fragrant woods and just a hint of green.

Wet: On my skin, leather becomes delightfully dominant, but it smells like a black leather stored in a closet with frankincense and myrrh. The tonka adds just a little sweetness, but I still detect a greenness, which could be a combination of the woody scents and the parchment note.

Dry: The tonka paired with the incense sweetens the leather , so it's more of a refined and well oiled leather that has been kept inside than some of the other leather scents I have are more overly masculine. I think this scent could easily be worn by woman and man alike as the scent is refined and sensual at the same time.

I *need* a bottle of this!

Edited by mymymai

This is really lovely. Yummy leather and rosewood. A little spicy, but soft. It does have a sophisticated feel too it, and an old library kind of feel. Old world sexy? I think it leans towards masculine, but I enjoy it on myself too. But I need to convince hubby to put it on more often. :)

In the imp: Smells like leather and man. I think there's also frankincense in here. I'm not sure I'll like it on me, but I like it, objectively speaking.

On me, wet: Leather, frankincense, and new book smell. Oh my god. There's something a little sweet backing up the woods and incense, I'm not sure what it is, I guess tonka. Usually when I try adventurous manly leather-wood scents, I don't really like them on myself very much, but this? I want to smell like this forever. This is a smart adventurer in his little personal library comfortably reading something forbidden and arcane. It starts to get saltier as it dries, kind of. The frankincense fades to the background and it becomes more leather and tonka, I think.

On me, dry: So it's nothing like what I normally wear, but I adore Dee. It smells comfortable and sexy and smart, mostly incense and leather. So glad I got to try it and I think I'm picking a bottle up.