Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
chin

Lilac!

Having tried Cave of Treasures now I can attest that it's the lilacest lilac that ever lilaced. It's like sticking your face in a lilac bush. It's really nostalgic and it is pretty but not quite my thing. The dried down with the hint of creaminess is worth sticking around for though. I personally think CoT is going to be your best bet.

Morgause was almost straight lilac to me. A little musky, and I kind of got the feeling there were other flowers that weren't strong enough to be recognized, but definitely in your face lilac

Hello, my tribe. Bumping this with a recommendation to try See How They Flash from the Post: Violet petals shimmering with lilac, wild plum, midnight blue musk, and lime rind. It's beautiful! My favorite lilac blend yet, even though it shares the spotlight with violet (a note I also love).

FWIW, I really liked Salt Phoenix. I don't know if the lilac note lingers, but it's very, very prominent at the beginning.

Hey, I thought I'd ask: how lilac-filled is Hotaru no Yu HG? Thinking about nabbing a bottle without trying it, but I'm wondering how strong the grass and amber notes might be (otherwise, it looks a bit similar to Salt Phoenix, which works well)

Lilacs are blooming, so I'm wearing Cave of Treasures and Eusapia.  What other lilac loves are you trotting out?

I've been enjoying Unicorn, Rushing Against the Tree this spring. (Notes: Ethereal white orris, pale early lilacs, mallow flower, Queen of the Night, white moss, and dusk-lit mist.) The mossiness definitely makes me think woodland lilacs rather than garden lilacs, though, if that makes sense.

On 5/1/2020 at 11:28 PM, Miyabi said:

Hey, I thought I'd ask: how lilac-filled is Hotaru no Yu HG? Thinking about nabbing a bottle without trying it, but I'm wondering how strong the grass and amber notes might be (otherwise, it looks a bit similar to Salt Phoenix, which works well)

Salt Phoenix is one of my favorite BPAL lilacs.  :smile:  I used to think of it as a perfect lavender/lilac blend, but it's deepened with age and grown more complex.  

Hotaru no Yu is a different animal.  It's quite lilac-y, but the honeysuckle makes a good showing, so you get more of a dewy, spring floral.  It's a floraly-floral, but a nice one if you're into that sort of thing.  ;)  I kept my decant, but a full bottle was a little much for me.  

Don't forget about Kabuki Actor and Their Lover, though.  The lilac is more mellow, but it balances really nicely with the champaca and incense.  Basically, think a light, lilac scented incense.  I can smell a bit of the cherry blossom too, but the lilac is stronger to me.  I love incense blends, so I preferred this one over Hotaru no Yu.  

Salt Phoenix's lavender and salty aspects really set it apart from these two HG's, at least to my nose. 

Edited by VetchVesper

Ah, I see! I tend to prefer florals over incense (they tend to amp strongly on me, if not go weird) but I'll definitely nab the decant of Hotaru no Yu first before investing in a bottle! 

I slathered on I Die of Love with this thread in mind (also it’s my month of florals)... not much lilac comes through for me, though. 
Salt Phoenix is now intriguing me. I’ve been crushing on the Lab’s salt scents! 

Edited by artisjok

Necrobump! I’m wearing Winter Night. Figure on a Bridge from the Lex Brumalis Yules of a couple years ago, a stunning dark broody lilac. And the newish Vigil for the Harvest Suitors has an absolutely gorgeous lilac note. Lilacs are blooming here in the northwest — anyone else have lilac in heavy rotation right now?

@Lucchesa I'm always on the lookout for a good lilac scent! Lilac always reminds me of being home in France in the summer. 💜 I've been eyeing Vigil for the Harvest Suitors, as well as the new Vase de Lilas à la Fenêtre. I think I am leaning towards the former, and I'm generally curious to see how the lab would do a sweeter lilac fragrance. I have The Lilac Wood and love it, but I have other lilac scents from other houses that are a little less green and a little sweeter, and I do tend to favor these ones (as day scents, anyway, I love to wear The Lilac Wood to Bed!).

10 hours ago, Kelthara said:

@Lucchesa I'm always on the lookout for a good lilac scent! Lilac always reminds me of being home in France in the summer. 💜 I've been eyeing Vigil for the Harvest Suitors, as well as the new Vase de Lilas à la Fenêtre. I think I am leaning towards the former, and I'm generally curious to see how the lab would do a sweeter lilac fragrance. I have The Lilac Wood and love it, but I have other lilac scents from other houses that are a little less green and a little sweeter, and I do tend to favor these ones (as day scents, anyway, I love to wear The Lilac Wood to Bed!).

Ooo.  Don't forget Houses at the Back - Frost Morning.  It's VERY lilacy, but les green than the lilac woods. And Wisteria Blossoms is GORGEOUS. Not lilac centric, but it's in there, and very worth checking out if you like Figure on Bridge. Vigil's really pretty too, and something about the mix of beeswax makes me think lilac marshmallows. Lots of lilac lately from the lab, and I am NOT complaining. 

My go-to lilac is Lucy's Eyes (a pulsing infernal amber, shot through with lilac-blue, bloodshot and blazing.) It was my first lilac blend, and it's gotten stronger and more cohesive with age. The amber anchors the lilac, making it last longer than most lilacs on my skin, and I like the contrast between the cool blue of the lilac and the depth of the amber. I like The Lilac Wood and The Last Unicorn, too, but I actually don't get very strong lilac from either.

I love the smell of real lilacs and here in the Pacific Northwest they are just getting done blooming. Silenti (from the VILF collection) is a good one (Spanish moss, lilac, wisteria, myrrh, and olibanum) -- the incense darkens and elevates the lilac into something mysterious and undead. 

@VetchVesperI haven't tried Houses at the Back - Frost Morning, but I definitely had my eye on it when it came out! I made an order yesterday and allowed myself one Luper, and Wisteria Blossoms turned out to be the winner, so I hope I love it as much as you do, I'm on a mission to try out some florals (to think I started my perfume journey firmly believing I'd never enjoy florals! 😅). Although, I had to destash Winter Night, Figure on a Bridge a while back (it was overall a little too sharp for me), so hopefully Wisteria Blossoms isn't too similar! It's also traveling with a bottle of Vigil for the Harvest Suitors, so I should be set with lilac scents for a while haha.

@Rayleigh I actually completely forgot The last Unicorn has lilac in it! I really love this one, but it's also not a lilac-centric scent for me. I can't smell it very much in Lady Amalthea either, actually. I think for both these scents I can feel its presence more than anything else, like it helps the scent feel well-rounded, if that makes sense? In any case, both are gorgeous, well-blended fragrances. 💜

(Btw, Lady Amalthea is currently available on the lab's etsy, in case anyone is interested! It really is beautiful, and it's a good scent for hot weather, it has a refreshing quality to it, probably from the mint! I wore it a lot last summer).

@hhelix Silenti was not on my radar at all and now I'm super curious! It sounds really lovely, I tend to really enjoy myrrh scents.