Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Morrighana

Bloodlust

A fiery Martial blend that embodies primal rage, lust for conquest, and all-encompassing desire. Dragon’s blood essence, heavy red musk, Indonesian patchouli and swarthy vetiver with a drop of cinnamon.

This is my first experience with Dragon's blood.. some I'm actually not sure which part of what I'm smelling is it..

In the Imp: Red dirt (fitting for a Dragon's blood blend)... I smell strong patchouli and vetiver with slight cinnamon. Little bit of musk too. I'm getting a bit of a boozy feeling from it. Frankly it's making me sick to my stomach to sniff it too closely :D I'm a bit afraid to put it on my skin. :P

Wet: Cinnamon comes forward some, sweetening things in addition to adding spice. Getting mostly patchouli.. but a slight resin note I guess is the Dragon's blood.

Dry: Patchouli and cinnamon with a touch of vetiver. Sweet mother of God this totally stinks :D Not sure I can find a use for this one. I might have to put it in the stocking of an unsuspecting victim this XMas :D Edited by MCS4096

When wet, there's a cherry note here that's immediately reminiscent of Blood Kiss. As it dries down, this fades and the patchouli and cinnamon come out more, turning the blend into a earthy sweet spice. The vetiver appears and lends its smokiness to the scent, but doesn't ever overpower the rest of the notes. The red musk isn't overly heavy either - which was my initial concern for this blend. All in all, it's quite wonderful.

On me, this one was a sweet dragon's blood resin scent... DBR tends to be overwhelming on me, and it was spicy with just a touch of patchouli.

Not my kind of blend.

In the vial: Dragon's blood first, followed by cinnamon and vetiver.

Wet: That first impression of dragon's blood settles back, and the vetiver comes up. But it's tempered by something and doesn't have quite the usual nasty sharpness. This has potential.

One hour: Patchouli mostly, but with a sweetness I can't quite trace, perhaps the cinnamon? I like it.

Three hours: Omm nomm nomm, this is delicious. The vetiver is behaving quite nicely and adds a lovely darkness to the basic patchouli/musk construct. Not getting much cinnamon at all, just a trace of something warm and sweet that could just as easily be mistaken for really good patchouli.

Four hours: The dragon's blood is winning now, which makes this less interesting to me than it was when the patchouli was winning. But it's still enjoyable; it turned out better than I expected.

This was a nose curling streak of vetiver when I first applied it. Once it started to dry, though, the dragon's blood really started to come out with its usual sweetness on me. Now that it's sat for even longer the red musk, one of my absolute faves in BPAL scents is rearing its lovely head :P Not bad!

Edited to say that: several hours later this smells like lily of the valley and is really really pretty!

Edited by rayvn1

Initial impression:

Vetiver and Indonesian patchouli - earthy!

First on:

It's pretty much all vetiver on my in its wet stage, with a slight hint of playdough.

Dry:

After about 15 mins, this is a resinous and earthy scent, but it still has some playdough qualities to it.

It dries down nicely to a patchouli and dragon's blood scent, but something is still iffy about it on me.

Finally:

Swapping!

This is like the 6th frimp from my most recent lab order with vetiver in it. Sadly, vetiver is my least favorite note...but I'm always willing to try another blend...so here goes...

Sniffing the imp, I get mostly dragon's blood and vetiver.

Wet on my skin, it's vetiver, patchouli, and a minor note of dragon's blood.

No surprise that I had to wash this off almost immediately...it's just not a pleasant scent on my skin.

Ok, first of all I have to say that I received this in a swap and I think it has been aged 1-2 years. I'd be interested in trying this again fresh, just to see the difference.

Next I have to say that Dragon's blood usually behaves on me and I have a really lovely relationship with most patchouli. Patchouli on me usually smells exotic or earthy in a sexy or pleasant way.

Onto the review...

In the imp this smelled, simpy put, like blood and some dirt. When I sniffed the imp it was that salty and metallic smell...like how blood tastes. It also smelled rusty. This intrigued me, because I thought it was fitting for it to really smell bloody because of it's name. I was expecting something with a kick of fruit to it because of the dragon's blood.

On my skin, it smelled like a dirty hippie covered in blood. The cinnamon started to come out, but only slightly and instead of giving it a spicy kick it just imparted a slight warmth...so it made me think fresh blood instead of dried blood.

So now this makes me think of a completely maimed and filthy hippy. Or perhaps a medieval knight in rusty armour that's just had the shit kicked out of him.

I love this and hate this at the same time. It actually kicks ass, but I don't want to smell like this. On the upside, once it's been on the skin several hours it does get a little sexy.

This is a very sweet DBR blend with a blast of aggressive musk. Very evocative of it's name, but I am not a DBR fan.

In bottle: The vetiver adds an intriguing smokiness to the blood dominent scent. The patchouli/cinnamon combination is a clever one, adding a spicey edge to the blood tinged, smokey decay. It suits it concept well. I’m not skin testing due to my history with vetiver, but I can imagine this smelling feirce on the right person.

*gack cough* This is aggressive, all right. Vetiver whispers unkind things into the ear of patchouli, who otherwise is my friend, and together they are stalking across the way to rearrange my face. I think I shall be leaving by the back door, now...

And you know what's ironic? Besides being so angry, it smells like the Queen Of All Hippies. Talk about a paradox.

It actually reminds me a lot of my experiences with Crossroads and Lust...and those weren't very pleasant, either.

What was I thinking? I hate patchouli. I don’t think I like vetiver much, either. I can’t smell the cinnamon. This fragrance is just downright weird, and not in a good way. The blood note, however, is very intriguing—maybe I should try another dragon’s blood blend.

A few weeks later…What was I thinking??!!! This is fabulous! It smells wild and weird in the bottle, then strange and compelling on my skin…I can’t stop sniffing it; it is completely unfamiliar and totally gorgeous. At first sniff, it's all blood and old pennies. Then suddenly it's dramatically different: warm, lush, spicy, but still with the wild notes lurking behind that. After a few hours, it softens even further. In a wistful mood, I find that it reminds me of a certain decadently creamy rice pudding with cinnamon I used to love. In another mood, it strikes me as purely sexual, like warm, bare skin and a lover's soft exhalations between kisses.

If I had just gone by the reviews on the forum, I wouldn’t have chosen this. If I had gone by the smell in the imp, I wouldn’t have liked it. Guess I learned my lesson! This has become my all-time favorite perfume. I wear it when I have a work deadline and need to be energized. I wear it when I want to seduce the hell out of my partner. I wear it when I want something enveloping and comforting. How can one fragrance suit so many moods?

I think I would die without this. Plus, it's fun to tell people I'm wearing Bloodlust.

this morphs quite a lot in drydown.

It goes from dragons blood with dirt (patchouli) to vetiver and cinnamon to a sweet cinnamon red hot with a dirty feel.

I like it and was going “yesss…. Ohhh no. awww… yay” the whole time it was going thru stages, the end result is sexy and strong

This is what I imagine I wanted Tanin'iver to smell like, but it went to cursed powder. This is a smoky, thick scent with a tang of copper and, oddly enough, a tiny, tiny piece of something that reminds me of cocoa (but in a bloody, musky kind of way). I think I'm detecting black patch in there, but I'm not sure. This really isn't my normal type of scent, but there's something intriguing about that's making me huff my wrist obsessively.

ETA: I meant to update this earlier! This scent goes really wrong on me after a while. I think I either amp the type of patchouli in this blend or really dislike it, because Bloodlust eventually got the wash off treatment (plus my feelings for Tanin'iver have completely changed, but that's neither here nor there :blush: ). The patchouli in this is very similar to the Obsidian Widow, another blend that I can't wear.

Edited by Charlene

In the Vial: Dragon's blood and vetiver. Without a doubt. Second sniff-- there we go, now I can smell the red musk.

Wet: Ugh. Apparently, I amp my enemy, vetiver, ick. Again, lotsa vetiver, sticky sweet dragon's blood is prominent as well as the darker but still sticky sweet red musk.

Drydown: Ah, finally a shift. The patch crept slowly forward. Oooooh, me likey the patchouli in this blend (and I tend to amp and dislike patchouli but not here). And nice little tinge of cinnamon. I am not a fan of cinnamon or cardamom, but here? Competing with such strong notes the light hand w/ the cinnamon adds just a nice little kick to this blend. Freshens it up and keeps it from falling into a sticky depth.

Verdict: I was pretty scared off by the vetiver and I'm noticing after several red musk containing blends, that I dislike red musk wet, but really warm up to it as it dries down on me. All in all, I'm really enjoying Bloodlust. Loving this odd frimp type thing I received of this, but doubt I'll be buying a bottle any time soon. I think I prefer Scherezade to this, but this is quite nice and surprisingly so.

Ok, so I keep trying dragon's blood blends because I keep hoping I will find 1 more I like (Dragon's Tears seems to be the only one that works on me).

I love red musk, patchouli, cinnamon, and vetiver, but the dragon's blood, as usual, goes soapy on me and it turning this a little...odd..smelling.

Luckily, as it dries, the soapiness fades and it's actually rather nice. The red musk comes out more and the vetiver calms down. It's not as spicy as I expected, but that's ok. The patchouli adds some earthiness to the blend and helps to ground it (pardon the pun :blush: ).

I wouldn't buy a bottle, but I'll probably keep the imp. I'm also curious to see how it smells on dh.

Imp: soapy, spicy dragon's blood

Wet: pink cherry hand soap

Dry: pink hand soap

I'm not sure what happened here. :confused:

I don't get it. There isn't a single note in here that I don't like, but as a whole, it's not pleasant - the sweetness of the dragon's blood and red musk peep out occasionally, but they're drowned in a muddy patchouli/vetiver accord. I never thought there could be such a thing as too much vetiver or patchouli for me, but this smells a bit too much like dirt and smoke even for my taste. :(

This smells like what i would think a coffin would smell like, it's very eerie...i love it! It smells like the incense they have during church mass, with a depressing note to it. It made me feel sad. It's such a lovely, incensey/resiny smoky scent though. Definitely keeping it! :)

In the vial this is a slightly sweet and heavy scent with piercing notes of patchouli and vertiver. On my skin, the scent starts to round out and a hint of the cinnamon spiciness comes through as the patchouli and vertiver mix in with the other scents in this complex creation, and the musk starts to make its presence known. After a couple of hours it is a warm, smooth and thick scent of musk, yet with a sweetness behind it, presumably from the dragon's blood. A very interesting combination!

I have no idea why this came out so floral on me. :eek: Usually things like dragon's blood and red musk and cinnamon and patchouli are a recipe for success on me, which is why I had high hopes for this one, and in the vial it was the dark scent I was hoping for, but my skin turned it into meh. I think the culprit might have been the vetiver--some types, probably depending on the proportion, go powdery on me, and that powderiness mixed with the other notes probably gave it that perfumey floral feel. Real disappointment, because anything named "bloodlust" seems so up my alley.

When first applying, all the richness of this scent comes out, and I love it!

It totally made me think it would work, especially considering the notes listed...

But it morphs within an hour to amp the dragon's blood and red musk, and its just too sweet, with maybe a touch of saltiness ...but not enough to cut that sweet stuff...the complexity is completely gone. :huh?:

This sounds very promising, let's have a look :D

In the imp - mmh, wonderfully intense. Musk, dragon's blood, patchouli and cinnamon.

On wet - This really carries the intensity of bloodlust as a concept very well. Smoky vetiver, pounding dragon's blood, deep musk and spicy patchouli. Love it!

Drydown - As it dries down, the vetiver disappears and it goes a tad too sweet, no doubt thanks to the untempered dragon's blood, patchouli and cinnamon. It's still very nice though, and I'm keeping the imp.