Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Morrighana

Bloodlust

A fiery Martial blend that embodies primal rage, lust for conquest, and all-encompassing desire. Dragon’s blood essence, heavy red musk, Indonesian patchouli and swarthy vetiver with a drop of cinnamon.

Huh, I got this a week ago, tried it then, and just retried it now and it seems to have changed already. I haven't changed my diet or started my period, so who knows?

First try: it pretty much smelled like Brimstone to me: gritty, smoky, gray. Maybe a little less like a forest fire, mostly just like black pepper.

Now, though: still an overtone of pepper, but almost like smoked meat otherwise. Kinda makes me want salami. Okay, that's fading mostly, it's a bit sweeter but still a little bloody. Intriguing! I'm gonna see how much this changes as it ages.

i really like this one. it's probably because of the dragon's blood/patchouli/red musk/vetvier/cinnamon combo. mostly its the dragon's blood and patchouli. thankfully the vetvier doesn't get over powering.

must purchase a bottle

Rec'd Bloodlust yesterday, sadly it's not for me and my first purchase will also be my first swap or sale. Perhaps it was the name that caught my attention.

in the imp: dark swamp at night, moss hanging from trees with the ghost of a fog creeping in. which is the image vetiver brings to me every time (villainess.net Grundy is a favorite that does that to me.)

wet caressing my skin: DRAGON'S BLOOD says RAWR and jumps out of the depths of the swamp at me in the darkness, no hint of the cinnamon yet at all though.

Dry and draping me: Dragon's in the murk, waiting, watching, prowling and stalking me through the swamp. Running through the fog shrouded dampness, heat rising from my skin, there are moments I am the prey and others I'm the predator. I am loving this, all the elements combine wonderfully on me.

scents good for your mental health, oh yes. this makes me remember who I am.

I think this one goes on my big bottle want list.

(on an odd note, on my 17 year old daughter all I smell is dirt, clean mossy dirt, but dirt none the less)

Ooo, exciting, my first review! This was one of the two imps in my friend's birthday present that I claimed (because she's a nice friend like that). So lovely, and

Bottle: Ah, that must be what Dragon's Blood smells like, hello there. Also something like sandalwood and incense, must be the wood, vetiver and patchouli.

Wet: Smells almost like leather on me now. Is this the vetiver. My friend says she smells pepper in it, something spicy. Is that the cinammon trying to shine through?

Dry: My roommate says she smells something like almonds? Maybe that's the patchouli breaking through with the vetiver. Yum. Dark wood and slight spiciness.

Verdict: My friend says I smell like a vampire should smell, all dark and pretty and musky and just a little bit spicy. Very nice on me, definately a keeper! Something to wear when I'm feeling wicked. :P

ETA: I seem to have fallen head over heels in love with this, and wear it more often than I should. Going straight on the big bottle list, when the Imp runs out.

Edited by TimeTwinAnne

Whow! I almost missed that one!

Received it as a frimp from the Lab with my Halloween order and tried it back then. This is really really weird because it likes to behave differently every time I try it. Huh?

Love the notes but the first two times I tried it it was nothing but sweet and lightly spicy dragon's blood with no throw. I put it in swaps and it has been there since October. Today I updated my swaps and dug through my imps and decided to try it again.

It smelled like my skin was burning, heavy and bitter like smoke with a swirl of cinnamon, strong throw. After this stage the red musk showed up and it got less bitter. Then I had to wash my hands and only red musk remained.

Now I just tried it again. On the back of my right had I smell dragon's blood and wtf? almond? On my left arm it smells more like earlier today but not as smokey.

I love it now, at least when I get the red musk and smoke impression. It totally confuses my sniffer though! :D A good thing noone wanted it because now it stays with me! :P

Edited by ImperatrixMundi

I got it because many people said it was a "dangerous" blend to wear. I like dangerous. :P

In Bottle: Dragon's Blood and Vetiver. It's exceptionally strong, and that's all I smell.

Wet: Ok, time for me to use non-scent related imagery first. Think of some primal animal who has just pounced on its prey. Something dangerous, like a panther or a lion. That's what it is. I'm really getting the Dragon's Blood and cinnamon with the vetiver. It's very strong and very powerful.

Dry: Ok, now the panther has had its meal, and is content to lie there for now. Although it's no less dangerous, just not attacking anything right now. I'm getting more musk now, but the dragon's blood is still there. I love dragon's blood. :D The patchoulli is coming out too, and the vetiver is floating in the background.

Conclusion: I definitely have no use for a large bottle of this; it's not exactly an everyday scent. But, for that extra spice for when I'm writing or doing other things, this is wonderful. Definitely keeping the imp. :D

imp: vetiver and cinnamon.

wet: super-dark patchouli and vetiver with a sweet musky scent. this smells sweet and burnt all at once.

dry: this is a little too dark and burnt but if you love vetiver, this is for you. if the vetiver was a touch lighter i might buy a bottle but the imp will be enough for me.

In the imp and wet on my skin, Bloodlust is just patchouli. Dry, it's dragon's blood resin (plumeria on me) over patchouli. It's not bad, but not me. I'll pass it along.

My initial reaction upon opening the imp was 'Bleck'.

A very strong, nose wrinkling smell of damp moss and armpit.

But I knew there was a chance it would morph, so I applied it anyway.

When wet, this stays as the unpleasant moss/armpit smell.

But when it dries, ah! when it dries.

It becomes something sweetly woody.

My memories want to connect the scent to camping as a child, some certain part of being in the forest. It reminds me of something that I can't quite grasp!

It's a beautiful scent, but not something I'd want to smell like on an everyday basis.

And the wet stage REALLY puts me off.

Which is a shame, I was hoping for some lustiness.

In the bottle: Very dark orangey-red-amberish oil, thick. Dragon's blood, patchouli, vetiver. Dark and heavy!

Wet: Vetiver and DB amp, patchouli lightens a wee bit. I swear to god I smell clove.

Dry: Slow drying, musk emerging gradually. Red musk smells really herbal and a bit harsh, like strong sage. I don't think I like it. The vetiver is gritty, the dragon's blood a bit sickly sweet, the patchouli very dark and dirty.

Later: Finally a tiny bit of cinnamon, Very very light. I still think there is clove in here. Actually, this has softened quite a bit; not as overwhelmingly dirty and harsh. Masculine-ish.

Summary: Slightly yet sickly sweet, acrid and dark, dirty and rooty. All the notes are well balanced and distinct except the cinnamon which is extremely light, and then I also detect clove. Great throw, but fades noticeably, though I was quick to wash off.

Yeah, 100% not my thing at all. I disliked every single note. Maybe this would be better on a man?

Edited by fairnymph

Smells very strongly of vetivert in the bottle, and slightly more softly on my skin.

It smells less like generic soap now, has a small snap to it, but isn't a particularly potent scent. And certainly doesn't make me think about ripping out throats and howling in gleeful fury over the corpses of my foes (at least, no more than usual).

In the bottle: Yuck! It is really acidic. Very strong. Smells slightly of bad body odor. Hopefully, it will change when on. The colour is beautiful, though!

Skin test: smelled very acidic and strong while wet and when dry. My chemistry is not liking this because it is amping up the acidic notes. It is starting to smell oddly like cat pee. I scrubbed it off after 20 minute because it made me itchy and gave me a headache.

I really wanted to like this, but, it hated me. :P

Initial thoughts: Oh yeah. Yes, this one's going to be... and at this point I noticed the patchouli and the vetiver.

Patchouli doesn't like me, but sometimes behaves itself. Vetiver does like me - A LOT - and I like it, but it does tend to amp like crazy. Dragon's blood sways me neither way, musk likewise... cinnamon, I kill for. Could be an 'ARGH PATCHOULI DIE', could be a new addition to the 'Vetiver, with hints of-' catagory. We shall see.

In the imp: Vetiver, vetiver, some more vetiver, and I thing that's... vetiver!

On the wrist, wet: This is dull, damp and smouldering. I kinda get the vetiver. I kinda get the patchouli. I have no idea what dragon's blood smells like on it's own but I think I smell it too. I almost think I can smell the cinnamon but it's not behaving like cinnamon. This is dark and rich and powerful and amazingly enough, the patchouli and the vetiver seem to be keeping each other in check. Oh my.

Twenty minutes later: This is unbelievable - stick patchouli and vetiver, two scents that amp on my skin, one of which I usually dislike, side by side and you should have something that makes me want it OFF, NOW, RIGHT NOW. Like, I dunno, Snake Oil. But this...

This is smoulderingly dark. This burns underneath a velvet veneer. This is sexy and firey and threatening violence. This, pretty much, lives up to it's namesake. It's potent as hell so I'll have to wear it a little more sparingly than I have done today, but man... this is good.

Verdict: Keeper, and possibly a bottle.

Tl;Dr: The patchouli and vetiver hold each other in check to create a potent, smouldering, vicious blend.

Nice! I think I must really like Dragon's Blood. Not as yummy as Blood Kiss, but kind of spicier and darker. I think it might be awesome layered with something, but what I'm not sure. Either Nosferatu or Whip.

At first it's Vetiver City...why can't I amp almond or something? Why vetiver? Gah.

Then the vetiver calms down, and it's a dragon's blood-patchouli kind of smell, with an unidentifiable nauseating undertone. Throat nausea, to be precise. Maybe it's something like the smoked meat smell that someone else described. But at any rate, this is not me!

On opening my imp, I was hit by a wave of Dragonsblood...which can only be a fabulous thing.

On me though, it smells very woodsy and masculine...and sadly, it just isn't working for me, which is a shame...it's either going to swaps, or possibly going to become a scent locket perfume, because I love it, it just doesn't love me.

Weird. I thought I'd reviewed this.

Imp: Dark and scary. I smell a faint hint of sweet dragon's blood but it's predominantly patchouli and vetiver.

Wet: It sweetens waaaaay up. Predominantly dragon's blood and red musk now. I get a hint of patchouli earthiness and the vetiver has all but disappeared.

Dry: The vetiver begins to peek out and brings a sort of powdery edge to it. This melds together into a really nice sweet musky scent with a sort of earthy, dirty base.

Throw: Awesome.

Overall: I have two imps of this--one really aged and one almost fresh. This is the fresh review and I'm surprised at how much I like it fresh now. This may have to be a big bottle for snuggly winter days.

I'm glad I waited to review this. At first it is very spicy and fiery, and I wasn't sure I'd want to wear it. But after a while I noticed the spices backed off, and then it was wonderful. It's very close to being too butch and nearly turned into a sort of 'after-shave' scent. But the red-ness and spicy-ness give it just enough kick to keep it interesting. It reminds me a bit of Wild Men of Jezirat Al Tennyn.....except I like this even more! I don't know that I will wear this regularly, but definitely enough to keep my bottle. Oh and this bottle is at least 2 years old (it's a 10ml), and still very, very potent.

Vial: A pungent and musky patchouli and cinnamon. Already know this isn't my thing. Three strikes with patchouli = out. Oh well, I'll try it on anyway.

Wet: Tobacco and rum smell mixing with cinnamon and patchouli.

Dry: My skin is making me feel like I just applied some sort of prescriptive ointment.

I was pretty sure that smoky/spicy scents weren't for me, but I'd figure I'd give it a try with some BPAL oils. Looks like the verdict remains the same. :P

While most dragons blood scents send me off faster than garlic does a vampire, this particular scent was better. The vetiver and patchouli took some of the bite away from the dragon's blood and while I am not a fan of this one, it at least was tolerable for me. It had some good moments when the other scents took a step forward from the dragon's blood. Not for me but perhaps I can enable someone with it.

I heart blood.

I don't think a dragon's blood scent could possibly be wrong, and this one is one of the best I have tried.

The rich cherry cinnamon DB scent ir right up front, but underneath it is... more goodness. Deep spicy patchouli, and something that reminds me of Perversion. Leather? Or maybe some other spice? I don't know, but it is wonderful. Deep, spicy, sexy.

I got this imp as part of a lot off of Ebay...and I was scared of it just based on the color! :P

I'm not very familiar with Dragon's Blood, but I do like patchoulli and cinnamon, and vetiver is good in small doses, so here goes...

Wet: Wow, this is intense. I can smell the patchouli, but it's blown away by something tangy-er, darker and stronger...I'm guessing the Dragon's Blood and vetiver? I can't really smell any cinnamon. I don't know if this is really me...

Drying: Getting warmer and sweeter. It's a cold, windy autumn day and this seems perfect right now -- the cinnamon/spice aspect is ramping up, and this is a lot more lovely that I first gave it credit.

Completely Dry: Huh. Now I'm not so sure again. It seems like the musty, dirty vetiver has come out too strongly now, and I really want to smell more of the Dragon's Blood, patchouli and cinnamon.

Final result: All I'm left with in the end is the vetiver. Would've been a nice winter scent if the other notes stuck around.

I might try it one more time to see if I get a different result, because this went through some stages that I really loved.

Oh vetiver, you always smell awful in the bottle but divine on me. Bloodlust is no exception. It's sexy and spicy, definitely an autumn scent. I didn't think dragon's blood could work on me but it does here. I just wish I could stop sniffing my wrists! I'm thinking the indonesian patchouli is what's bringing everything together and smoothing this whole blend out.

In the Imp: Dragon's Blood (uh oh)

Wet: Florals?

A minute or two on and the Dragon's blood is going to cough syrup. And it's playing bad with something else. Urgh.

Roughly five minutes on it's going to a sexy blend of red musk and vetiver.. with cough syrup in the background.

If things that are usually pretty potent on my skin can't keep dragon's blood from being awful.. I think I'll just give up on the blasted note.