Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Morrighana

Gourmand - Foody Scents - General Recommendations

Have you tried Miskatonic University?

I had an imp of it and swapped it. It went plastick-y foul on me.

As for ultimate cakey type scents. Have you tried gluttony?

Eat me and Drink Me are worth a shot, too. Both are very foody.

I have to express my love for Wulric the Wolfman as a rich chocolate-y scent, too.

Taking notes, thanks so much!

Can it have a floral element? At the last meet 'n sniff that I went to, Knave of Hearts was a big favorite.

I am way leery of flowers. I love rose, but it turns into utter and complete feces on me. I don't like most other flowers either: Gardenia, Lily, peony, daffodil - just about anything flower. I like - can't remember which one - a new Salon that was very spring-floral. I also like Amsterdam (but don't know what it will do on). The 10/06 Thirteen has some floral elements and it is deeevine on me (I have 13 bottles). :P Does that help or make a bit of sense?

I second trying Gluttony and Miskatonic University. Another nice thick chocolate is Boomslang (Snake Oil with cocoa, teakwood, and rice milk), but you have to like Snake Oil too.

For caramel try The Arrival At The Sabbath And Homage To The Devil (bourbon vanilla, benzoin, caramel, Mysore sandalwood, aged black patchouli, carnation, and iris florentina) from the Salon. It's mostly vanilla and caramel on me. The other caramel recommendations I have are, sadly, LEs. My favorite caramel is Red Lantern (golden amber, blonde tobacco, Sudanese black coconut, rich caramel, black currant, white opium and delphinium laced with a sensual blend of Asian spice) and you'll find this one much easier to get than MB: Underpants. My other favorite is Monster Bait: Ventriloquist Dummy (apricot, dry woods, and patchouli covered by a disarmingly sweet mishmosh of caramel, brown sugar, hazelnut, and butterscotch), though it's on the woodsy side.

I have Boomslang and it's pretty good on. I have to fight not to lick the bottle. I have a 1/2 imp of Arrival at the Sabbath and haven't done more than sniff it. Will try that tomorrow. Red Lantern didn't do well on me - turned ugly. I have MB:VD and LOVE it, but it's like Pinched with 4 Aces - more wood than cake - which is great, but not that one thing I want.

Since you like Cockaigne (milk and honey, sweet cakes and wine), you might check out Dana O'Shee (Offerings of milk, honey and sweet grains).

I did try that one and it went to almond-y Jergens lotion on. Smelled so good in the imp too - I was very disappointed.

I'd recommend looking through the pinned recommendation categories:

http://www.bpal.org/index.php?showtopic=13371&hl=sweet <--- this one should give you a bunch of recommendations! =)

Ah HAH! Thanks!!

Thanks so much y'all, for all your recs and help. :D

I ordered six BPAL imps some time ago, and not having been too happy with any of them, didn't order again until recently. I ordered about 32 of them, everything that caught my eye, and I'm wanting to place yet ANOTHER order, but I'm far too afraid to order bottles unsniffed and I don't know what else could possibly be out there for me. O_O I DON'T like patchouli, or lavender, and while I keep trying to find a rose that will work for me, they all seem too sharp (I tried Two Five & Seven in my first order). [...are there any mellow rose scents?]

But the meat of the other perfumes and oils and lotions I own are foody scents, and while I find some here and there, I often can stare right at something and not see it, so I'm wondering if I'm missing anything. I ordered Tezcatlipoca for its cocoa and leather notes (love both!), along with O (vanilla&honey, eh?) and Miskatonic University (for its coffee note! <3). Anything I'm missing?

If you like foodie scents (like me yay :P) I'd also go for:

Bliss - A shot of pure, self-indulgent euphoria! A scent that is very, very wicked in its own way: the serotonin-slathered scent of pure milk chocolate

Gluttony - Thick, sugared and bloated with sweetness. Dark chocolate, vanilla, buttercream, and hops with pralines, hazelnut, toffee and caramel.

Drink Me - (it had, in fact, a sort of mixed flavour of cherry-tart, custard, pine-apple, roast turkey, toffee, and hot buttered toast,)

Eat Me - Three white cakes, vanilla, and red and black currants

March Hare - A twisted teatime tart: apricot and sweet clove.

I know there are tons more but being quite the newbie myself these are the only ones I've tried.

ETA: You might wanna take a look at this thread.. it's all about foody scents :D http://www.bpal.org/index.php?showtopic=13371

Edited by Mixxi

I have read through this whole thread and just wanted to tell you how exciting it is to read all the different reviews of the scents. I have a much larger list of notes of oils to try now.

Candy Butcher on me goes completely vanilla in which I love it!

bliss is just that complete bliss of pure chocolate!

Boomslang -on reminded me of hot cocoa.

Grog in the bottle is pure butterscotch to me and once on had a nice brown sugar/cinnamon to it.

Not sure if this should be here, or in the 'similar to perfume' section...

I had a room spray by Crabtree & Evelyn called Patisserie, but they seem to have discontinued it in the UK, where I do most of my shopping.

It was wonderful warm buttery pastry set off with the slight sharpness of burnt sugar - perfect.

Do you know of anything I could try to replicate this?

Thnaks

for me, the best sweet/foody scent in bpal is cockaigne. i just swooned when i put it on my skin as it smelled exactly like the description and stayed that way. i think eat me is a runner up as it also smelled glorious.

Not sure if this should be here, or in the 'similar to perfume' section...

I had a room spray by Crabtree & Evelyn called Patisserie, but they seem to have discontinued it in the UK, where I do most of my shopping.

It was wonderful warm buttery pastry set off with the slight sharpness of burnt sugar - perfect.

Do you know of anything I could try to replicate this?

Thnaks

The reviews of Crumpet Rebellion often mention buttery patries, but if you managed to get your hands on that LE I don't think you'd dare use it for room fragrance. :P

Sugar Skull is pretty much all burnt sugar to my nose, and I get some butteryness in Beaver Moon. Sadly, these are also both LE's!

The only GC that would have a similar effect in my mind would be Eat Me -- the sugary vanilla is nicely balanced by the tart currants. It could very well be a good substitute!

Okay, I need a serious foodie recommendation. I loooove smelling like baked goods, but the predominant (and HEAVENLY) note in every baked-good scent I've tried (Gluttony, Pumpkin III, Cockaigne, etc.) disappears entirely and I'm left with the other scents, which aren't nearly as good. You know which note I'm talking about: the butter and warmth thing. It's SO perfect in the bottle and then....*sigh* Gluttony turns into generic spice-cinnamon on me, cockaigne turns into apples and piss, pumpkin 3 is also the spice-cinnamon thing, with a dash of fruit. Though I'm still a newb, I'd bet that most of the foodie scents have the same note, because it is sort of perfect when it isn't on me.

Honey and vanilla do work on me, like in Hunger or Dragon's Milk. And though this isn't traditionally a foodie, Lou Garou is a minty cookie on me and I can't get enough. Vampire Tears (grapefruit and lemon) and The Dodo (cinnamon tea) are good too, but not really the bakery scent I'm looking for. I'm definitely going to try Lick It One More Time when I place my big holiday shopping order, but I'm very sad to realize that I'll have to stay away from the Gingerbread and Egg Nog and other deliciouses (new word? yes.) that, in theory, make my mouth water.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a fellow foodie who keeps getting disappointed by lovely descriptions and less-than wrist sniffs?

Does anyone have any suggestions for a fellow foodie who keeps getting disappointed by lovely descriptions and less-than wrist sniffs?

have you tried jack? to me it smells just like cockaigne but with a warm pumpkin note.

gluttony was not foody and yummy on me. It turned to smoke and dried down very smokey. What could be the note which caused that? Is there any oil which smells like strawberry jam filled pastries? amour de cacao smells like cookies with orange custard to me.

dragon's milk was creamy floral on me. It dried down a bit playdohish. sad. The bpal scents I've tried so far turn weird on me.

Edited by faeriedust

I don't know how, but the honeysuckle and cinnamon in Chimera combine to turn me into a walking cinnamon bun. I seriously get cravings for Cinnabon every time I put it on. It's so good. :P

You're going to hate me, but Beaver Moon '05 keeps its identity after the drydown. I've only tried it once or twice because I got an almost-empty sniffie as a freebie, and it smells like vanilla cupcakes with a buttery note that actually sticks around on me. I have the same problem where the buttery, bakey note evaporates immediately from my skin (it happened with Beaver Moon 07 and Pumpkin Cheesecake). I wouldn't recommend trying to get a whole bottle unsniffed, though, because they are sooooo expensive.

I would also recommend Bliss to you, it smells exactly like freshly baked chocolate brownies and stays that way on my skin. It's ridiculously delicious. :P

Mmm I managed to get a bottle of Beaver Moon 05 and it's such cheesecakey goodness :P . I can't wait for my new Beaver Moon to arrive but I doubt it'll smell as yummy as the one I have.

Does anyone know of a BPAL scent that smells like pineapple? I just love the scent of pineapple cookies, sundaes, etc.!

I think the most readily available scent with the truest pineapple note that I have tried is Drink Me. It's a very pineappley-bakery scent to my nose (a little too rich, buttery and caramely for me even) but it has a charm all its own. There are a number of blends that have a tropical fruit feel and it seems to depend on the nose sometimes as to whether people pick up pineapple, banana, or something else... but trying lots of things is fun, isn't it? :P The only blends with pineapple included in the note list seem to be Mi-Go Brain Canister (an LE from spring of 2005) and Shango, a GC blend.

If you click on this link you should get the results of a search of the Reviews for the word "pineapple" - you can take a look and see all of the scents people have detected this elusive note in. If it doesn't work for some reason, you can duplicate it like this: search for "pineapple" highlighting the Reviews subforum only, specifying that post text and titles should be searched and results displayed as posts (as opposed to topics).

Does anyone know of a BPAL scent that smells like pineapple? I just love the scent of pineapple cookies, sundaes, etc.!

Tzadikim Nistarim. It's in Sin and Salvation, and the notes are frankincense, olive, spikenard, hyssop and galangal, but it smelled strongly of pineapple on me (and apparently some other people, from looking at the reviews).

Also definitely Baba Yaga, if you can get it (it's unreleased, but there are imps floating around). Smelled like pineapple incense on me, and pretty much every other review says "Wow! Pineapple!"

It must be on the reviews; Drink me seemed to me too sweet and toasted-like to notice the pineapple. Tzakidim Nistarim smelled like pineapple sweets. Macchu Picchu was similar to Nistarim but less sweet: my review said "if Nistarim smells of tropical fruit candy this smells like real tropical fruit".

I second Drink Me. It turned out like pineapple upside-down cake on me. very sweet and buttery.

Elegba seems to have a strong pineapple note for some people. It smelled like a pina colada to me.

And Tzadikim Nistarim smells like ambrosia to me - pineapple and citrus with coconut and cream.

What about foody scents that aren't just sugary? I love scents that are full of baked goods yumminess. Cake, cookies, rich and buttery. I love Dana O'Shee and Fruitcake.

Any foody recommendations that would fit that catagory?

Hey guys! I know the last thing I probably need right now is more enabling, but I have nothing better to do (who does homework, anyway?) and figured I could use a little scent-expansion. (:

I've tried and love: Gingerbread Poppet '07, El Dia De Reyes '07, and Monster Bait: Bigger Critters in the direct foodie category, and Chimera, Eclipse, Florence, Dorian, and Possets' Spook (plus Villainess' Ginger-Snapped Smooch, while I'm at it) in the not-so-foodie-but-still-sweet-and-yummy-smelling category.

I love chocolate, vanilla, and warm, thick foodie scents. Cakey smells would be a plus, too. I do not do well with any scents that deviate into the dark, woodsy/earthy realm of things, but I do tend to work well with soft, warm floral scents. Warm, incense-y lower notes are good, too (i.e. that vanilla-y incense note that usually comes out towards the end). Anubis works very well on me (I think it's the myrrh?), and the notes in Chimera and Eclipse that smell like almond extract in the bottle (probably honey). I typically don't seek out florals since I'm very particular about them. But warm and/or soft sugary scents are absolutely spectacular in my book.

So. Any foodies out there who feel like enabling me further? *eyebrowwaggle*

Edited by Savvy

boomslang. eat me. cockaigne.

:yum:

Oooh good, I just ordered some Eat Me through a swap. And I always dismiss those snake scents, I never think to look for foodies in there. Thank you!

Edited by Savvy

Big foodies here at our house! Eat Me, totally. Also Channukiya (doughnuts!), Bliss, Alice (for a good fruity scent--pie cherries), Miskatonic University (the oldest calls it "evil butterscotch"), Cheshire Moon (cake, tropical fruits and exotic flowers), Samhain (pumpkin, apples, spices, cold autumn night), the Pumpkin Patches 1-5, White Rabbit, Dormouse (well, tea), Love's Philosophy (cream), Yuletide (cloves and cinnamon), Sugar Skull, Diwali.

LOVE the foodies.

Big foodies here at our house! Eat Me, totally. Also Channukiya (doughnuts!), Bliss, Alice (for a good fruity scent--pie cherries), Miskatonic University (the oldest calls it "evil butterscotch"), Cheshire Moon (cake, tropical fruits and exotic flowers), Samhain (pumpkin, apples, spices, cold autumn night), the Pumpkin Patches 1-5, White Rabbit, Dormouse (well, tea), Love's Philosophy (cream), Yuletide (cloves and cinnamon), Sugar Skull, Diwali.

LOVE the foodies.

Aah, I love you, thank you so much! I never would have thought Channukiya would smell like donuts, but now I want to try it! I've been wanting to try several of those anyway (Sugar Skull, Cheshire Moon, and Alice have been nagging at me particularly, but Dormouse and Yuletide just caught my attention as of a couple days ago), so this makes me just want to try them more. (: And there were definitely a few in there I never would have found on my own (namely Miskatonic; I adore butterscotch, I think I'll hafta get me some'a that).

This just makes me glad I'm getting Eat Me and Samhain soon! :D