Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

The Dark Side of Fire: cinnamon, bitter almond, and neroli. Heavily spiced, torrid, and possibly conflagrant.

A simple blend smelling strongly of almond and cinnamon. The neroli adds a light touch to this that is wonderful. Mostly it's just burning cinnamon and rich, creamy almonds like cherry cordial. Nice.

It's rich, and so simple I'm finding it hard to come up with things to say about it besides "spicy." But I like it. It's in the same general category as Chimera, though not as nuanced or as deep. A stealthy singed note creeps in eventually; I think it's the cinnamon, which is so strong it smells like bark and not like the powdered stuff you put on apple pies. Very pretty. Edited by quantum spice

Hoyeah. It's cinnamon alright. Putting it on, it smells just like catching a whiff of a freshly opened jar of cinnamon red hots. That's great for me. I always loved those things, but trust me when I say that you can practically taste them.

Now, earlier today, I dabbed some on my neck, in the crooks right below my ears, and on the middle of my inner forearms. There was a small amount of burning sensation, but there was no rash... however, for the forearms, I always rub the oiled parts together to release the scent with a little warmth. I was fine for a little while, but I ended up with rash on my arms that lasted for at least half an hour. It was a spread of red dots where the oil sank into the pores a bit much. The area on my neck however, that was fine.

I'm trying again, but without rubbing, and on the upper part of my forearms. The slight burning tingle is there, but there's no rash thus far. I know it must sound terrible to folks reading this to hear people typing "I got a rash OMG!!!", but as long as you keep it away from more sensitive skin (softer parts, insides of joints, etc) and don't slather it on and rub it in hard, you should be just peachy.

All else fails, it's perfect for putting in your hair. It lasts longer, doesn't sting at all, and you can earn Anchorman quotes in the process.

Personally, I think it's worth it. Cinnamon like this isn't a common scent at all in a perfume, and it definitely makes an impact. Even if it doesn't last long, it's great for putting on when you know you want an impact. Without being sickening or wafty, I can imagine someone wearing this, sitting down next to me, and giving me a fantastic Look and Smirk that says "Well. Hello there."

This was a frimp from the lovely Lab.

In the imp:

Definitely almond and cinnamon.

Wet:

At first the cinnamon is the predominant note, though I can smell the almond as well. I'm under the impression that "neroli" is a citrusy smell; if so I'm not picking up that note at all. This blends down to something sweet and a little spicy. The throw is very cinnamony, but when I put my nose to my arm, it's sort of a blend between the almond and the cinnamon. It's pretty, but thank goodness the cinnamon has calmed down a little bit because I was having mini-flashbacks to my college-freshman Goldschlager-hangover days for a minute there.

Dry:

Spicy cinnamon with a bit of sweetness underneath. Not something I would have chosen for myself, but it's pleasant and I will definitely wear it out sometime to decide if it suits me or not. Apparently, cinnamo does not burn my skin, but I think I may refrain fro putting this in my cleavage just to be on the safe side.

A little goes a very long way with Inferno. Completely cinnamon-covered almonds, and nothing else. It's making me a bit hungry, too. :P

I would say it is fireballs in a perfume. Later on it gets a bit softer.. but on me fireballs all the way. i rank this imp as enjoyable but not something I would buy a large bottle of.

In the bottle: Just as I expected it to be - very cinnamony with a softer smell of almonds.

On my skin: All cinnamon. Fabulous. :D

I bought an imp of Inferno in my first order over a year ago and I could not wear it, as the oil burned my skin. Too bad. I loved the scent though, and got a 5mL so I could use in my diffuser. (Cinnamon-aholic? Me? No way. :P ) I'm not sure the difference between the bottle and the imp, but I have no problem with the oil from the former being on my skin. Weird. But lovely!

Inferno smells strongly of almonds in the imp and right after applying. Then, it quickly turns to raging hot cinnamon. The heat seems to die down and the scent becomes very welcoming. This was too strong for my skin and left a red welt. However, I think it will make a great room scent for winter. It made me think of cozy evenings around the fireplace.

Edited by Suzie

This is me: "Ooooo, cinnamon! I love cinnamon!"Swabbing on back of hand: "Mmmmmmm, what else is that in there, it smells floral, too."10 minutes later: "Ack! Hack! Cinnamon! Inferno!"I love it. What can I say? I love cinnamon!By the way...and I would NEVER EVER recommend you do this...I licked it.And guess what?It tastes like cinnamon! And flowers. Kind of soapy.

TOTAL Red Hots overload. I went through a phase of trying all the cinnamon scents I could get my hands on, just to see what would burn my skin and what wouldn't. Inferno was a 5-alarm red itchy fire from the beginning. It is a great cinnamony blend but if you're at all sensitive...approach with caution!

imp: i thought of almont extract with a warm spiciness behind it. it so reminded me of baking cookies and perhaps that is what made it seem so harmless... i dabbed a teensy bit onto each elbow and suddenly it went from warm almond to...

wet: CINNAMON FIRE! i was off and running for the bathroom where just as i was cranking the water on to rinse it all off my husband turns to me and says: "wow! that smells great!" (why can't he say that about the non-agonizing scents?)

dry: never got the chance.

so yep, inferno is aptly named, set my skin on fire and left angry pink welts on my elbows. it smells divine, it's just bottled hell on me.

(edited to change 'bottle' to 'imp')

Edited by hkhm

Got a frimp of this from the lab - I was planning on buying an imp sooner or later, so this is great!

In ze imp: Sweet cinnamon, I think. I wasn't paying enough attention. :D

Wet: OMG Cinnamon! :P It smells like cinnamon candies!

Dry: Softer cinnamon, and something else, but I can't tell what. Gorgeous and spicy.

This is definitely bottle-worthy. I can live with smelling this spicy and great! :)

ETA: Wow, this is so good... I want to slather it everywhere possible ;) but a brief warning: I applied it in the cleavage area, and while there isn't any rash, it stings a little bit for a while. In the future, I'll avoid doing this, ha.

Also, in the scent locket, this is very sweet cinnamon - a nice counterpoint to the stronger stuff on my skin. :D

Edited by River

In the imp, this is almond - yummmmm - with a little cinnamon.

On the skin, the almond and cinnamon balance out. (Side note: while sniffing from the imp, I got some oil on my upper lip - it definitely burned, but I had no problems on my arms.)

Once it's dry, all I get is CINNAMON!! Not terrible, just basically single-note cinnamon. I'm sad, because I really like the almond/cinnamon combination.

Cinnamon. Cinnamon. Cinnamon. It's cinnamon in liquid form on me. I don't get a rash, but I do wish it were sweeter. Sort of like cinnamon sugar.

In any case, I figured out I like cinnamon in my food but it's not something I necessarily want to smell like.

If you do, then this blend is for you.

Mmmm, cinnamony. I can definitely smell the almond undertones, which turn kind of sweet cherry on me. It itched a bit around where I applied a tiny, tiny amount, but was not noticibly red.

This would be good for layering with other scents you want to spice up!

"Possibly conflagrant" is no joke! In the bottle this one actually sort of scared me -- I love cinnamon, but this came on way strong, and I actually put off testing it for a while. Actually wearing it, it's less frightening, though. Really spicy, really hot, but not as overwhelming on my skin as it was in the bottle.

After a couple of hours the almond scent starts to assert itself. Still predominantly cinnamon, but it goes from being a total blaze to a more controllable fire.

I didn't really think this one would be something I'd like but my mom had it as a frimp so I gave it a whirl.

Wet, it's predominantly almonds, sweet and spicy and amaretto-like. When it dries down though it turns into that characteristic cinnamon red-hots scent that I dislike, and gives me a rash. What can I say? Cinnamon and I don't get on that well.

I prefer Asp Viper for a similar honeyed-almond vibe without the burns. :P

To me, Inferno smells like Big Red gum. Predictably, it burned my skin so I had to wash it off, but I'm glad the Lab sent me the frimp. Someone else can enjoy this.

This is what I wanted Wrath to smell like.

Imp: cinnamon and something sweet

Wet: :P cinnamon fruity

Dry: Mostly cinnamon. I rather like it.

Oh, this is terrible. I LOVE the smell of inferno. Love it, love it, love it. It's just such a shame that it makes huge burnng red welts come up on my skin :P

Bottle: Cinnamon

Wet: Cinnamon and almond. I don't usually like almond unless it's ameretto, but I really like this!

Drydown: Much spicier and hotter than Chimera, which I tested along with this. I'm not sure which I like better, but I do like them.

3.5 outta 5

In Vial: almond oil and cinnamon

Wet: Strong almond oil as its drying the cinnamon is getting stronger. I can feel it in the back of my throat when I sniff my arm. Smelling like Big Red gum.

Drydown: Becomes a light but pure cinnamon note. I can see these as being good to layer with other oils you want to add cinnamon/spice to.

Almonds and cinnamon - the almond/marzipan note plus the heat of the cinnamon make me think that this is what molten lava might smell like. :P Delicious. It does burn my skin a bit, but if I dilute it with a bit of carrier oil it is just fine. I like this a lot, but I don't think I'll want to smell like this all that often, so to the swaps it goes.

Yes it does smell somewhat like cinnamon gum, but a bit more creamy. I do get a sort of almond, but this is surprisingly floral on my skin. The cinnamon does stick around and add a sweet spiciness to it.

Very surprising and nice. It did sort of burn though, not really bad, but enough to be careful where I choose to apply it (wrist was fine, my neck...got a bit red).

Imp: Hot Tamales. This could go either way.

Wet: The almond comes out and tempers the cinnamon. This goes strangely sweet for a few minutes.

Dry: The cinnamon is at the forefront again with a bit of an amaretto scent in the background. This is surprisingly light.

Throw: Eh. I put this on my wrist about an hour ago and I can barely smell it now.

Overall: I think this would be an awesome bath scent, but I'm not in a hurry to get a big bottle.

Edited by paperrose

Imp: Almond extract. Sweet. Almost cloyingly so.

Wet: oooh, almost equal parts almond and cinnamon. I like this! Sweet and spicy.

Drydown: A soft pretty cinammon scent. Nice, but I would have liked more almond.