Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Morrighana

Pronouncing "BPAL" and scent names!

ETA: Abejita, I think you and I were typing at the same time. Thanks for the stressed syllables! And I didn't know that v goes to b when between voiced vowels, thanks.

Whoa, give me back my brain! Heh.

The v to b shift could very well be my Bengali showing. Like I mentioned, I was a Hare Krishna and the cult founder was a Bengali man. So the Sanskrit we learned was heavily influenced by his accent.

Ah, Sanskrit names. I had a friend initiated with the name (deep breath) Nikunja-rasa-vilasi devi dasi. I knew a Nitaipadakamala devi dasi. Ananga-manjari devi dasi. And an Acyutananda dasa. There were some doozies.

:P I noticed that, and thought about changing it. I actually sat here and tried to memorize the letters, then said screw it!

Well, I am slowly making up mnemonic devices:

PROSHITAPATHIKA

Her lover is away on a long journey, (since he is a PROfessional) and she is pining for him, feeling that everything is SHIT, and feeling great APATHY when he is not there. Sleepless and disconsolate, she counts the days until he returns. Therefore she is PRO-SHIT-APATHY-ka.

:) I noticed that, and thought about changing it. I actually sat here and tried to memorize the letters, then said screw it!

Well, I am slowly making up mnemonic devices:

PROSHITAPATHIKA

Her lover is away on a long journey, (since he is a PROfessional) and she is pining for him, feeling that everything is SHIT, and feeling great APATHY when he is not there. Sleepless and disconsolate, she counts the days until he returns. Therefore she is PRO-SHIT-APATHY-ka.

:P :D :D

(!!!)

Edited by Dinerdulcinea

Thank you abejita for the pronunciation help!

People always mangle my name (sarada being my real middle name, from Sri Sarada Devi) and if they don't think it's "sandra" outright people invent weird pronunciations for it. We say "sah rah dah", or even "suh rah duh", but not "suh RAY dah." As for why mom chose the name...it was because it was the early 70s and mom was a scholar in Indian religions (although we ourselves are not Indian).

On-topic, I just gotta say how much I want Hope & Faith now that I've thought about it for two days! :P Do we have a vampire smiley? I can't stop thinking about them, but I had like $220 worth of other things that I needed urgently too...

I'm so glad I wasn't the first person who thought Khandita might sound like "candida" :P

Anyway, personally I think this update is purely ORGASMIC. Indian heroines! Lupercalia with Indian-themed scents! The Snake Pit! It's all just so, so heavenly. Not so great is my bank balance atm after my Order of Doom (aka Biggest. Order. Evar) on Tuesday :D

So many Snake Oil variants make head asplode!

I got Abhisarika and Vasakasajja, with Chintamani-Dhupha from Lupercalia, but I think I also really want need Virahotkantita, Svadhinaopatika and Kalahantarika. :) Will have to wait until later, when I have more cash and the reviews start coming in, me thinks.

Unfortunately I had such high expectations for Khajuraho last year, but it wasn't to be.. it was in the "don't much care for it" mark but bordering on the "can't stand it" too. :D It was so sad having to give it away, but it went to a better home so that's OK. ;)

Okay, I have to know. How do you pronounce Jólasveinar?

I've been looking at a chart for Icelandic pronunciation, and what I managed to come up with is "yo-lass-vay-nar". Does anyone know for certain how to properly say it, and what syllable is stressed?

Thanks so much!

Now that we'll have the bottles in our grubby little hands soon, does anyone want to take a crack at pronouncing some of the more strenuous Ashtanyika and Luperci names?

Now that we'll have the bottles in our grubby little hands soon, does anyone want to take a crack at pronouncing some of the more strenuous Ashtanyika and Luperci names?

I'd like to know that too, particularly the Ashtanyika scents.

I recently discovered that I LOVE Vasakasajja, and I would like to be able to pronounce it correctly. I've been saying "vah-SAHK-ah-sah-JHAH" but I have no idea whether that's even close. Can someone help me?

As an aside: I tried Googling it, and the first page of search results was mostly BPAL decant circles. :P

I'd like to know that too, particularly the Ashtanyika scents.

I recently discovered that I LOVE Vasakasajja, and I would like to be able to pronounce it correctly. I've been saying "vah-SAHK-ah-sah-JHAH" but I have no idea whether that's even close. Can someone help me?

As an aside: I tried Googling it, and the first page of search results was mostly BPAL decant circles. :P

Abejita explains how in the Hunger Moon Update thread

Not a scent name, per se...but how do y'all pronounce galangal? I've heard gall-en-gall & gal-en-gail. The second always sounds odd to me. I always want to say ga-LONG-ull, but I know that's not right. Is it?

I pronounce it, roughly, gæl-en-gæl (tried to put proper characters in there, but the forum spazzed on me :P ), with stress on the first syllable...dunno if I'm right though. :D

ETA: Your second pronunciation seems to come from an alternate form of the word, "galingale." The OED considers that spelling standard.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but...the Emathides. I say it 'emma-thids' in my head, but I have a feeling that because it's Greek, it should be e-math-a-dees. Which pronounciation is correct?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but...the Emathides. I say it 'emma-thids' in my head, but I have a feeling that because it's Greek, it should be e-math-a-dees. Which pronounciation is correct?

I have no idea which is correct, but I have been saying it e-MATH-a-dees.

How does one say Aeaea? :P

I've been saying it in my head a little like the Fonz. Like "hey!" without the H, followed by "uh". Two syllables. Have never even seen the word before, so I'm probably way, way off. :D

How does one say Aeaea? :D

For some reason (pig on the label?), I keep thinking of this being Greek for "E-I-E-I-O" :D .

It even scans! "And on this island we had some pigs, a-e-a-e-aah." :P

My friend and I call it Aeaeaeaeaeaeaea, because it's fun to make lost of vowel sounds in quick succesion. I also call Schlafende Baigneuse "Schnafelapagus". :D Hope that helps!

How does one say Aeaea? :D

My friend and I call it Aeaeaeaeaeaeaea, because it's fun to make lost of vowel sounds in quick succesion. I also call Schlafende Baigneuse "Schnafelapagus". :D Hope that helps!

:P It was the "Hope that helps!" part that got me.

I *think* Aeaea is supposed to be pronounced ay-ay-ah, but in my head it's eye-ee-ah. And as far as I know, Emathides = e-math-i-dees, as Alicia said.

And dang it, I was just thinking yesterday about digging up this thread because there's something I've been wondering how to pronounce, but now I can't remember what it is.

Forgive me if this has already been covered, but does anyone else pronounce "BPAL" like "Bee-pal"? I hate spelling out acronyms and Bee-pall is easier to say, but I'll feel like an idiot if no one else calls it that. :-P

Forgive me if this has already been covered, but does anyone else pronounce "BPAL" like "Bee-pal"? I hate spelling out acronyms and Bee-pall is easier to say, but I'll feel like an idiot if no one else calls it that. :-P

That's how I say it in my head, but if I was talking I'd probably just end up saying "the lab" because I don't like spelling out acronyms either. So at least you're not the only idiot :P

Edited by *Dani*

I call it that too!

Sorry, but I have to bring up the Lovecraft-ness again. I wanted to see how many different ways things were pronounced. A note on Cthulhu though, since I was discussing it with a friend. I had to share because it was way too much to type to not share with everyone. Hehe

This is from the notes in "The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories":

On the pronunciation of Cthulhu Lovecraft has left several accounts, all slightly differing; his associates have also supplied contradictory testimonies. The most definitive statement by Lovecraft occurs in a letter of 1934: "...the word is supposed to represent a fumbling human attempt to catch the phonetics of an absolutely non-human word. The name of the hellish entity was invented by beings whose vocal organs were not like man's, hence it has no relation to the human speech equipment. The syllables were determined by a physiological equipment wholly unlike ours, hence could never be uttered perfectly by human throats...The actual sound--as nearly as human organs could imitate it or human letters record it-- maybe taken as something like Khlul-hloo, with the first syllable pronounced gutturally and very thickly. The u is about like that in full; and the first syllable is not unlike klul in sound, hence the h represents the guttural thickness."

Apparently R'lyeh was originally called L'yeh, too.

/nerd rambling