Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Lionheart

Infuses you with immense amounts of courage and drive. Useful to help you recover from intense depression and ennui. Brings on a positive outlook, renews hope, and replenishes positive energy. Fills your spirit with the courage and nobility of a lion, warmed by the life-giving joy of its solar aspects.

To me, this oil is the other side of the coin from Dia de los Muertos - where DDLM is a dark, heavy floral underscored by death (and also not a ritual oil), Lionheart is the light summer florals of life. I used it to anoint the nape of my neck and hands, and solar plexus to alleviate stresses and to loosen away worry so I could get a night's sleep without tossing and turning from stress and worry. I did have a deep, restful nights sleep, but an irritableness was lingering when I woke up.

I think Lionheart will be good for me, not because I expect it to solve depressive episodes but because it will help me to overcome them more quickly, and let my anger and sadness go more easily. Like a previous reviewer said, Lionheart gives you the strength and courage to look at life's problems, and say "This will not be easy, but I am going to come through this okay." I :P this.

ETA: oil description. Edited by Shollin

Lionheart smells pleasantly sweet and not particularly herbal - more like a BPAL perfume oil than a TAL oil, initially. There's the vanilla note that's in Snake Oil, the amber and heliotrope of Hollywood Babylon, something that reminds me of Coyote, and a little something almond-like. It's creamy and sweet and comforting. I want to carry this around with me just to smell!

That said, I can already tell it's helping with my courage. Since receiving Lionheart this afternoon, I've been able to accomplish some tasks I was avoiding, and my outlook on my circumstances has improved. I have a feeling I'll be back to edit this with more positive experiences.

I have a sample of this and can't wait to order a full bottle from the TAL lab. Scent-wise, this is, hands down, my favorite fragrance. It's pure joy and peace in a bottle. Soft, powdery and calming.

The best part is, like the other TAL oils I've been fortunate enough to try, IT WORKS! You can't help but feel a sense of warmth and happiness while wearing it

Wow. I got my hands on a decant of Lionheart awhile back, but I didn't have the need to try it until today. Now? I think I'm gonna have to buy myself a whole dang bottle because there'll certainly be instances where I'll want to use it.

Scent-wise, it's absolutely lovely. Very lavender, a sweet and light floral scent that has a strong throw and lasting power. It's incredibly warm and soothing, with a powder-like tinge to it. Its scent had an immediate calming effect on me -- and man, it can be smelled several inches away from the vial! Potent stuff.

Between depression and insomnia, I've had a problem with my mind being cluttered up with thoughts. Meditation's been impossible for me, but sitting down and annointing myself with Lionheart immediately made me feel cleansed and focused my thoughts -- I was able to brush aside all the nagging doubts and dark images in my head and focus clearly on the tasks I had ahead. Everything just became CLEARER.

I normally do poorly in certain social situations. After my brief ritual with it, however, I was able to deal with people that normally send me into an absolute panic without any hesitation and set a few things in my life on a better track. Heck, I had the bravery to set up an appointment with someone without even batting an eyelash. I felt so much better, this was ABSOLUTELY effective and potent. It let me sort things out and start to deal with them them head-on, rather than letting them continue to fester and focusing on what I cannot change.

There's just a strength to using it that is WONDERFUL. Next time, however, I need to remember to use a little less with it... While I know I'm confident, I think everyone in a twenty-foot radius could smell that, too.

It DID give my mild skin irritation/freakish burning in a spot or two. Didn't affect me anywhere else I put it, though, but I figured I'd put a word of possible warning.

Edited by Celenth

I wanted this at first because I thought, for some reason, it was supposed to help creative people have the courage and positive outlook to work and finish projects. In retrospect I think I was confusing the description with Wolf’s Heart--just seeing what I wanted to see--but it doesn’t matter. I think this is the one I needed all along.

The first time I couldn’t identify this scent at all, beyond florals—something like some of the Voodoo and Tarot oils I’ve tried. But yesterday one note finally came to the fore: roses. Lots of bold red roses: not the over-the-top decadence of Pride, or the strangely-bitter scent that some rose blends leave on me, but just a trellis full of crimson blossoms. Roses for courage, hope, and shaking off the dark murk of depression . . . Perhaps I mentally added in the words, “for artists” because this ss what my work needs: drive, hope, joy.

today I dreaded going to work, because saturday was a big fat technical nightmare.

so I told myself to get over it and put on some lionheart.

it's swooningly beautiful, this scent. I definitely recognize the amber, which is an excellent note for me. I read the previous reviews, and if heliotrope is in this then I must have more - but the amber predominates.

today at work wasn't too bad. but - best part - the cute guy at work I crush over came in today (unexpectedly) and we practically ran into each other in a doorway, and I managed to talk with him without feeling like an utter idiot, the way I usually do, and I could actually think of things to say instead of trailing off awkwardly and looking at my shoes.

I thought it was rather brave of me. and this scent is so wonderful, it mellows me right out. More TAL, please!

I used to have good success with the now discontinued Voodoo oil Crucible of Courage. I still treasure an imp of it that someone was kind enough to gift me with.

Odd fact: When I first smelled Lionheart, I could actually feel some sort of heat on my upper lip and nose. At first I thought some of it had touched my skin and was aggravating it, but that was not the case. The stuff was really warm.

It works in a very similar way to the old CoC for me. It is so comforting, gentle and warm, I feel tempted to wear this every day. It envelops yo uin a blanket and makes things look all right again. Fantastic TAL.

lionheart has a very gentle scent and feel, and i've been using it regularly since i got it.

smell-wise, it is light and golden, but translucent too - i get primarily amber, but detect something slightly herbal (lavendar?) and something a little rosy - mostly light amber though...it reminds me of baby oil, but not in a bad way - this is gonna sound weird, but the baby oil smell is comforting, reminding me of being taken care of - i think of a mother lioness caring for me and protecting me.

as to its effectiveness, it seems to consistently work, on a subtle level - for me this is not a blazing, roaring lion, but more of a strong and gentle one. it's given me an inner calm and strength, and the feeling that "things are gonna be ok", when i'm feeling worried or negative. very pleased with this one.

I received Lionheart just as family members were about to make a poorly-timed visit. I hoped that applying it after concentrating on my goals would be helpful, as there was no time for a ritual. My goals were to be able to maintain a pleasant and loving demeanor toward my guests although I was not feeling either at that time, and I thought Lionheart was appropriate because I was dreading the next several days.

The morning after my guests' arrival, they told me that one family member had forgotten his prescriptions, including heart medicines. They ended up leaving shortly after lunch that day. He's usually a very methodical person, but of course anyone can run off without their medicine box.

While part of me thinks this was merely a coincidence, I really don't believe it. Hoping to buy a bottle.

Scent: I'm not good at picking out notes, but this dries down to a powdery sweetness on my skin and reminds me of baby shampoo.

Edited by joans

How on EARTH can I not have reviewed this? One of my absolute favorite oils.

I get cinnamon, with some clove and vanilla from this scentwise. (It layers beautifully with Bathed and Infused's Cremasse.) But the scent is only the beginning...there's a real warmth and comfort that comes from this, as well as a kick in the pants. It's like having your best friend or your mom sit down with you, give you the love and reassurance you need, and then poke you with a sharp stick to get you moving in the warmest, fuzziest way possible.

I saved my Lionheart for a shitty day, and when one happened I said to myself, "You can sit around screaming 'Fuuuuuck!' *or* put on some Lionheart." So I did the latter, and it's gorgeous! Spicy (cinnamon?) topnotes over some sort of warm amber/floral...I'm reminded of Glitter, and therefore heliotrope, except I've never ever liked that note before and I love this. Maybe it just plays really nice with the other notes. Lionheart brought a smile to my face and reminded me to breathe deep and know I have the strength to handle things. Lately my Tarot keeps turning up the Strength card--the young woman taming the lion--and this is like the olfactory version of that reassuring message.

I've been using my Lionheart for a while now. The scent to me is warm, but very quiet, calm. It fades quite quickly on my skin. I usually anoint the bottoms of my feet, to help ground me in the present and give me strength from the earth. I find that on the days I do this, I have a more positive outlook, an easier time with obstacles, less depression, and a get-it-done attitude. This is by far one of my favorite oils. Sometimes, when life gets really stressful, I'll take a few sniffs deep from the bottle and just try to calm and focus. I find scents are a great way to shift emotions, and Lionheart is great at this for me.

(Minor backstory: I have severe episodes of depression, anxiety/panic attacks, and OCD)

Last night things got into a bad space for me, mentally. I'd forgotten I have a spot of Lionheart but when looking for something else I came across it. I spread some on my wrists and inner elbows, being as those are the most effective areas to get the scent into me.

Within ten minutes I was calm and focused. It actually revoked the insomina I was heading towards and banished the dark thoughts. I made it through the night (gave me vivid dreams) and I'm relatively okay today. I'll probably reapply soon.

As for the scent, on me it's got the warm sun-kissed amber smell akin to BPAL's The Lion (which is my favorite BPAL) with a musky, woodsy tone to it. I don't get florals, there might be a bit of moss in there (something green, not sure what) but it's warm and comforting like a blankey. It stayed with me through sleeping and this morning it's not as strong, but it's long-lasting on my skin.

Where as I've used White Light with decent results, if it came down to it I'll use Lionheart from now on!

I was DREADING going back to work today, mainly because my boss is just awful to me and until I find a new job, I can't leave.

I anointed some of my chakra points this morning and chanted "I will not be afraid".

And oddly enough, part of my brain chimed in "Fear is the mind killer. I will let it pass through me."

Erm.. Dune much? :lol:

In any case, after doing this for a few minutes, I felt better. Stronger, less lethargic. I think I even held my head higher. And yes, the world seemed less bleak and unhappy.

Very empowering.

ETA: I've used Lionheart in 2015 and 2016, and the results have always been positive. It's got some of the same positive vibe that Anthelion does, but much more robust. It's not as directly soothing as White Light, or even Anthelion, but its much more energetic. It also endows you with some fierce courage. Hearts and flowers to this.

Edited by zankoku_zen

In the imp: hmm. warm amber and heliotrope, and maybe a hint of lavender.

On me, wet: mrf, a powdery tang emerges immediately - there's probably some honey in this blend - over the amber.

On me, dry: this has a lot of throw - alas, it's that baby-powdery note with warm amber behind it, not anything more appealing.

TAL purposes: well, I wore this to an interview which I apparently aced, and was very up and positive about. Though I was self-conscious of smelling powdery at the same time.

Verdict: well, no, I don't think I'll keep this.

I know that scents are largely irrelevant with the Twilight Alchemy Lab oils, but to me, Lionheart smells like strong earl grey tea with a drop of milk. Since I'm originally from England, that's a really positive association for me. :P I've had a lot of success with this oil giving me courage and comfort and I sent an imp to a friend of mine with social anxiety disorder. He says the oil has really helped him to overcome the creeping dread he gets the day before any social event. This is definitely a winner!

I am sharing much of this post with my review of Wolf's Heart (the voodoo oil) for reasons that should be obvious.

I purchased Lionheart two years ago and have used it occasionally with little effect, but yesterday I was truly blessed to have this oil. Two months ago I made a major mistake and left my two dogs in the car while I ran to a meeting, not realizing how hot it was outside, and I received a summons to court for cruelty to animals. If you know me at all, you know how completely devoted to my dogs I am, how every other day of my life I conduct myself in the most animal-friendly way you can imagine. So this case has been hugely emotionally distressing. Yesterday was my arraignment, and I needed a huge boost in courage. I had forgotten that Lionheart aids in courage, I just remembered that it was supposed to help with having a positive outlook, so I wore Wolf's Heart for courage. I made an X over my heart with Wolf's Heart and swiped some Lionheart above it, then wore Wolf's Heart on my wrists and swiped Lionheart on my forehead. (I am not magically trained at all, those just seemed like good places to put the oils- by my heart and where I could smell them.) As I applied the oils, I repeated to myself that I was asking for courage, and almost immediately I was completely calm. I was even humming to myself as I walked around the house getting ready. As I drove to the courthouse I marveled at myself. As I waited, I mostly smelled Lionheart, but with some of the spiciness from Wolf's Heart. It sort of wreathed around me. I was worried that the scent would bother other people, but they could probably use the positive energy and courage, too. I did get a little nervous as my name was called, but even then it was ok. As it turned out, the assistant district attorney present thought the criminal charge was excessive and is going behind his hard-line coworker's back to knock the charge down to a civil charge. Whether the courage came more from Wolf's Heart or Lionheart I don't know, probably both. I think that Lionheart gave me some positive energy he must have picked up on. I guess when I really needed these oils, they gave me a major boost.

As far as what Lionheart smells like, it is a powdery scent, but what it comes from I don't know. It isn't a scent I'd reach for purely for the smell- not because I dislike it but because I have others that I like even better, but yesterday showed be that it can be very, very effective.

So in the last few days my depression has lifted dramatically. It had been bad and getting worse for eight months but then Friday night I was just suddenly ok. It finally occured to me last night that that's around when I put an imp of Lionheart in the little box of imps I carry in my purse.

I just finally put some on. It's soft and powdery, with just a little bit of florals and spice underneath.

I get amber and a sweet rose similar to the one in the BPAL's Hope in this. There's a little hint of Play-doh (like I get in Anthelion...and I wouldn't be surprised if they share a component or two), but overall this is a pleasure to wear. But I'd wear this even if it smelled like ass because...damn, it works. Almost instantly and with little more than a dab for me.

I've been struggling: SAD-induced depression, carpal tunnel symptoms, and now I'm coming down with some bug or cold. I just put this on and, honestly, I can't really describe in words how I feel right now. Let's just say I feel better, lighter, stronger. Let's just say this works :P

This is certainly a sun/flame oil! I used it in a candle ritual (standard candle ritual), burning a white votive candle all in one fell swoop (took about 7 hours!!). I meditated with the candle for awhile, and then simply let the candle burn.

I was at Mass the next day, and I had a very clear vision of a burning flame within me, providing warmth. However, while I could see the flame, I couldn't really feel the warmth unless I thought about it very hard. This scent is a Leo scent, and by that, I mean that when I was 'looking' at the flame I got a very strong sense that this was Leonine energy (and given that this blend is called Lionheart and the description says that it calls upon the Sun, this is not all that shocking). I'm not really a Fire person and Leo energy is not something I can easily draw upon. While this blend certainly produces a result, I think that there will be other joy/inspiration/energy blends that work better for me personally.

It does smell absofrackinglutely gorgeous though. :P :D

i've half a decant of this left and before it goes to a new home, i thought i'd review it - so i can remember to get more later.

TAL oils aren't used for their scent - but it is always nice when it smells good... and this one does! i can't describe it, but it is creamy and rather like strong tea with lots of sugar, and i can see how there might be some lavender in here, too. the blend doesn't seem to want to stay mixed, it likes to separate out into three layers, but that's common enough with other BPAL blends that i don't think anything of it.

as far as if it works? i don't really know. i used it for a premature baby - i'm a Leo and his daddy is a Leo and the baby himself is a Leo...

so i was drawing on whatever strength i could get to help him through.

and he pulled through.

I felt drawn to Lionheart the first time I saw its name and description, and I haven't been disappointed. To me it smells sort of like rosemary and orange, and powdery, but in a good way. I enjoy the scent. I've found it to be excellent when I feel overwhelmed and like a failure - it makes me feel stonger, more capable and confident, and not alone (not that I feel like there is someone else with me - just that my feeling of being alone goes away).

Scent wise, on me Lionheart is a very warm blend of amber and a touch of heliotrope. There's a soapiness or a creaminess to it that is comforting, but it's so much more than that.

I find myself wanting to face the scary things in my life recently that are holding me back. I haven't used this for anything as serious yet, but when it came to braving some roller coasters I've never ridden before on a recent vacation, Lionheart really made me feel secure, brave, and gave me the nudge I needed. It didn't work every time (I guess if I'm tired and I don't really want to do something, not even Lionheart will do the trick!) but it really did make me feel braver and more confident in some slightly scary situations.

Now, let's see if I can get over my fear of driving... :P

ETA: Today was my first try at learning how to drive. I used Lionheart because I needed a LOT of courage even to get behind the wheel, which I've never done before. First, before I left I put a dot of both Lionheart and Determination on a white candle and tried to meditate and calm myself a little. Then I applied a mix of the two for my first lesson. The scent was not something I'd wear as a perfume, but it certainly made me feel more confident and ready to try. I'm not ready to go on the street yet, but Lionheart has definitely made me feel much more secure and confident about trying to learn.

Edited by Delirium1009

Since I’m reviewing this TAL on intent rather than scent, I’ll just say that scent-wise this is warm and yellow and sunny. It’s not entirely dissimilar to the LE To Helen, which I wore yesterday, except this doesn’t have any rose. It definitely has a honey note as well as amber.

Enough about the scent. I used Lionheart today because I had an important, make-or-break meeting with one of my kids’ school principal, who I dislike strongly and who unfortunately, also is also a bit of a bully. I’ve been stressing about this meeting for a fortnight now.

Lionheart did help me to feel calmer and more collected. Despite the man pushing every last button I had, I did not lose my temper. I won’t know for a few days what the result of this meeting will be, and I’m not sure it went all that well, but I don’t feel as wrecked about it as I had expected.

There are a couple more meetings over the next few days and I will definitely be using Lionheart again.

I currently own a decant but will be buying a 5ml, as I can see this becoming one of my “basic TALs to always have on hand”.

I meant to write about Lionheart six months ago...

A friend very kindly sent me a decant, and I thought it would be the perfect thing to take to the hospital with me when it came time to have my baby girl. I wound up scenting a square of fabric in my favorite color and putting that in my toiletries bag -- I didn't want to have to worry about the imp and the hospital didn't allow candles or other burners.

Please take that context into consideration when I say this: Yes, it smells like baby powder. Baby powder in a good way -- and of course, completely fitting for my purposes! I'd describe the scent as a warm, powdery amber; I don't pick up the citrus or tea overtones mentioned by other reviewers, but that may be because I've never applied this oil to my skin.

I also never got around to taking out the fabric square during my actual labor (that part got long and complicated), but the warm, rich, lovely smell did permeate my recovery room for the five days I was there. I believe it made a significant difference in my confidence level and ability to deal with a newborn.

Highly recommended for its intended uses! I wish I'd done more with it during labor, but my daughter arrived as a Virgo instead of the Leo she was scheduled to be, and maybe she wasn't interested in sniffing such a leonine scent during her grand entrance! :P