Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
lorajc

What Scent Is This?

I have a decant that is labelled "Snow On Bare Shoulders" - I've had it a while, so I can't remember the history of where I got it, etc. but I was pretty sure that it was BPAL (although it doesn't actually say so on the label).

However, I can't find a review page for "Snow on Bare Shoulders" - it the decant mis-labelled or is this not a BPAL blend at all?

Thanks for any help you can offer about my mystery imp!

I've been around here just a little bit longer than you, but I've never heard of a BPAL called Snow on Bare Shoulders, not even a prototype that's been out for sniffing at Will Calls or what have you.

Possets has a Snow on Bare Skin - I wonder if what you have could be an earlier or alternate version, in the vein of BPAL's Lick It, Lick It Again, Lick It One More Time, etc. Maybe some of the Possets enthusiasts could tell you if you asked in that thread.

ivyandpeony - thanks for the suggestion!

Given the similarity in names, that was my first thought too, but I've been following Possets since it started and they have never had anything with that name either...

Still a mystery (or a mis-labelled Snow on Bare Skin!)

Thanks!

:lol: Now I'm wondering if someone just got distracted while decanting the Possetts scent and wrote the wrong name or something - I don't think there are any BPAL names that come close, though, so at least you can eliminate one possibility.

I've found complete mystery vials when cleaning out drawers and boxes - you know how some of those boutique perfume shops make their own samples for you? They will put them, unlabeled, in a tiny zip-loc bag and put the label on the bag. Like that makes sense. Or even commercially prepared samples sometimes won't have any label or identifying info on the vial itself, they'll use a fancy foldover card that the vial hangs within. So those are always a lot of fun. I don't know if having a mystery name to start with is any more helpful than having no name, though!

Question from my cousin: she picked up a bottle of Blue Moon 2009 a while back (on LJ, I think) that was advertised as "Brian's." Smelling it, though, she thinks it's probably Beth's. (I haven't smelled either one myself.) I believe the labels are different, aren't they? She says her label has a large smiley Moon on the left side, and a winged pig over the words "Blue Moon" on the right side. Can anyone help?

Thanks!!

D'oh! :blush: I had no idea that thread existed. Thanks for the assistance. Looks like I am off to the Swaps forum for the real Brian!

I've been sorting through my imps and have found a mystery one, with TWO handmade labels taped to it, one either side. One says "BPAL MWE 2007", the other says "Midnight on Midway".

The Midnight on Midway label is probably more recent (tape is peeling so it's a little hard to tell which was uppermost), but I'm not confident it's actually that. The oil smells sugary, and also there's something citrusy-incense in there (a sort of smoky lemon, maybe?). Which kind of fits Midnight on Midway, BUT I definitely don't get any of the florals MoM is meant to have and I usually amp all florals. So I was wondering, does anyone know what MWE might stand for??

Thanks!

Midwinter's Eve, Yule

A melancholy, deep scent, poignant and brimming with nostalgia. The perfume of sugared plums over a breeze of winter flowers.

Released in 03, 04, 05, 07 and 10

HTH!

Thanks, samarablackcat and Silvertree! My decant definitely doesn't have any plum notes, so it's probably Midnight on Midway, but I may have to track down an assured decant of MWE for comparison. ;)

I just received an imp, it was labeled from the lab as "Fire of Love". When I sniff it, it smells like "Dance of Death" to me. The oil itself isn't as dark as my Dance of Death, but I know the oil color can change a bit... I'm getting super confused.

Can anyone help? Just want to know if they really smell that much alike or if the imp was mislabeled.

I'm not sure if this is where I ask but I'm giving it a shot.

I received a package of imps in the mail today, and immediately put two on to test. Hermia smells NOTHING like I expected, and in reading through the reviews I really wonder if it's not the right scent. I do really like it, so I'm just tempted to buy another imp and see if it's the same, otherwise I need to know what this actually is!

The notes in Hermia are supposed to be: Pink pepper, golden amber, honeysuckle, and passion flower.

In the imp I immediately thought: well this is a LOT warmer than I expected, maybe the amber is taking charge? I put it on, and it just turned into this amazing warm, golden scent, a bit sweet and creamy. Eventually a subdued floral has started to emerge, and I guess it *might* be the honeysuckle but I'm pretty familiar with honeysuckle and unless my nose is broken today, this isn't it. I'm not sure what passion flower smells like, but from what I gather from the reviews, this isn't it either. It's got amber, I can tell that much for sure. There isn't any spice from the pink pepper whatsoever, and it seems to have a strong presence in the reviews.

What made it interesting to me is that I have Vasilissa on my other arm to test, and they are remarkably similar. Very much the same mood and tone, and I would classify both of these with Lyonesse as a sweeter, non-foody, warm and classy scent. I didn't expect anything remotely like that from Hermia.

So is this just how Hermia plays out on my skin chemistry (if so, YAY!) or do I have a mystery on my hands? (Or is it option "c", that my expectations of what Hermia would smell like were way wrong? This is also a possibility).

Edited by Tiada

Honestly, it could be Hermia. Age can do glorious things to a blend and perhaps you got your hands on some aged Hermia. The only advice I can give is to search out another imp and see.

In the imp I immediately thought: well this is a LOT warmer than I expected, maybe the amber is taking charge? I put it on, and it just turned into this amazing warm, golden scent, a bit sweet and creamy. Eventually a subdued floral has started to emerge, and I guess it *might* be the honeysuckle but I'm pretty familiar with honeysuckle and unless my nose is broken today, this isn't it. I'm not sure what passion flower smells like, but from what I gather from the reviews, this isn't it either. It's got amber, I can tell that much for sure. There isn't any spice from the pink pepper whatsoever, and it seems to have a strong presence in the reviews.

My Hermia had a bright peppery note to it when it was fresh, but as it aged it turned into sweet pink cake with faint floral overtones. So yes, depending on the age of the imp (and of course what the blend does with your chemistry), that could definitely be Hermia. :)

Oh YAY! I'm really really happy that this is probably Hermia! I will have to buy a bottle to age it!

I think this is the right place to post my question...

I'd like to find out more about the two versions of Black Lace. I understand there was an older release, and a newer release that had an apple-like note? When were these two versions released, and do they have different labels? If someone could explain, or point me to a thread that explains this, I'd be really grateful! Thanks in advance!

Black Lace was originally released in November 07 as a thirteenth anniversary for Dark Delicacies. The label is blue-grey-ish. original

It was re-released in November 09. The label image is the same, but the color is more teal. Out of this resurrection, there is a batch variation that people call "the apple version"; it did not smell the same (to me) and I wondered if mine had been mislabled. 2009, although this label appears more grey, my bottle is more teal.

Thanks to Miss Twilight's flickr for images.

I think there is a thread with more details...I hope this helps until my scramble brain can find it!

I just received an imp, it was labeled from the lab as "Fire of Love". When I sniff it, it smells like "Dance of Death" to me. The oil itself isn't as dark as my Dance of Death, but I know the oil color can change a bit... I'm getting super confused.

Can anyone help? Just want to know if they really smell that much alike or if the imp was mislabeled.

Very late to answer this, but although I've never smelled Dance of Death, I know there are two bizarrely distinct Fire of Love's running around. Apparently the current incarnation I recently got in bottle form is kind of a green/herby rose scent to my nose--the one I have a couple treasured imps of that was what I thought I would get when I ordered a 5ml was a kind of spicy dry wood scent (kind of like Aureus with spices). Which one is the 'real' FoL I'm not sure.

Edited by skyelyric

I think there is a thread with more details...I hope this helps until my scramble brain can find it!

Thank you, samarablackcat! This is very helpful, especially since Black Lace is probably going to be on my ISO Bottle list pretty soon!

Very late to answer this, but although I've never smelled Dance of Death, I know there are two bizarrely distinct Fire of Love's running around. Apparently the current incarnation I recently got in bottle form is kind of a green/herby rose scent to my nose--the one I have a couple treasured imps of that was what I thought I would get when I ordered a 5ml was a kind of spicy dry wood scent (kind of like Aureus with spices). Which one is the 'real' FoL I'm not sure.

Thanks for answering this. I wasn't aware that there were different versions of FoL. :)

I ordered a set of Imps for the first time a few weeks ago, but when I got them in the mail one of the labels was different from what I ordered.

I ordered the RPG Neutral, but I received one with the RPG Elf label instead. Its an orange liquid in the imp vial. After smelling it I'm pretty sure its just been mislabeled, but I wanted to make sure. I'm horrible at describing what scents smell like, so I hope the color is enough to identify it.

Thanks!

I ordered a set of Imps for the first time a few weeks ago, but when I got them in the mail one of the labels was different from what I ordered.

I ordered the RPG Neutral, but I received one with the RPG Elf label instead. Its an orange liquid in the imp vial. After smelling it I'm pretty sure its just been mislabeled, but I wanted to make sure. I'm horrible at describing what scents smell like, so I hope the color is enough to identify it.

Thanks!

I tried Neutral + Elf + Rogue today, and Neutral's oil is an ambery orange color, while elf is nearly clear (maybe a little yellow?) on me. I can't be entirely certain, as it was shady, but I hadn't expected Neutral to be so dark and it was definitely orange-ish.

Elf is a very light oil, and definitely has a woodsy smell to it that you won't get from neutral. It sounds like your imp is mislabeled. Oops! :lol:

So first, I seriously hope I'm posting in the right place. I'm new to the forums and have scoured them to find somewhere to post this query but the FAQs are unpostable and I can't think of anything else D:!

So I was updating my stash list here and came across a bottle labeled Chaos Theory: Edge of Chaos. I don't know what this is. I've Googled the ever living crap out of it and can't find any links or descriptions. Anyone want to help me out here? I can't find it on Black Phoenix either! The label SAYS Black Phoenix but I have no clue what this is or what's in it. Halp!