Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
clover

Eleggua

I'm wearing Eleggua today on my skin and in a scent locket, in order to do a proper review.

Ouf of the bottle: Yummy mint syrup! With just a hint of something sweet. Smells almost boozy. I think I mentioned briefly that when I first opened this up it reminded me of Spooky, and it still does.

Upon application: Sharp mint, but also an undercurrent of something golden. It's interesting, it's the same impression I get from Block Buster - it has the golden feel of honey, but doesn't smell like honey at all. I can't for the life of me figure out what it is.

After a few minutes: On my skin this is turning into a mint cookie, kind of dusty...while in the scent locket it stays syrupy.

A few minutes after that: The mint has really faded on my skin, and I'm left with a warm slightly sweet and slightly dusty scent. Very light. The oil in the locket is still sweet, delightful mint!!

This is a wonderful winter scent!

I normally really don't like mint very much in my perfumes, but I love love love Ellegua. Lalisa was awesome and sent me a bottle from BlackBroom and I'm forever indebted!

It's mint on top, all right, but there's this swirl of incense and booze and spice underneath it. Ellegua is said to like corn, candy, and rum, and I don't smell corn in this at all (thankfully!) but there's yummy candyness, and crystalline mint, and a nice trippy boozyness.

In the bottle: Holy crap! I love that fresh fresh sting of mint as I hold my nose to the bottle. Wearing this is going to be FUN!

On me: Wow. It's rum, it's mint, it's what I was wanting spooky to be on me but didn't - it's delicious mint, sweet candy, and boozy rumness altogether. Oh my, oh my, I'm so glad I got some of this. Yum yumyumyumyum

Thanks again to ivyandpeony for the chance to try this scent!

Eleggua was astonishingly similar from the imp to my skin. The dominant note is a pure white mint that clears my sinuses when I sniff the scent. There is something sweet and dry underneath, leaving the overall impression of a mint cookie. I don't smell any booze.

I might be going mad from too much BPAL but, once Eleggua dries on my skin, I can swear there is a hint of pineapple at the edge of the mint.

This is a lovely, vibrant scent!

This is amazing to me. For some reason I keep forgetting there is mint in there! To me this is coconut...I understand the cookie reference, but this just says coconut to me. The mint is very strong the first couple minutes. Definately peppermint as opposed to spearmint and the light sweetness underneath. Now that i've read other reviews, I'm gonna have to re-evaluate my coconut theory. I don't know what is behind the mint. It's sweet, it could be slightly fruity, don't think it's pineapple, yet...maybe, or something similiar. A juicy fruit, not peach, not pineapple, but...

And there is also that spooky note. I agree with another poster that this is what I thought spooky would smell like and spooky so does not work for me. There is something similiar in it, just slightly.

Wow, that wasn't much help. Very interesting blend. Do try it on, don't just sniff, and give it a chance to get past the mint.

Hmmm, maybe it's mango.......

*sniff*

First Sniff

It smells like Andes mints! And something a bit darker. Hmmm.

Wet

Mint mint mint mint mint. I get no coconut, nothing else but pure mint. Imagine Spooky doused with the power of an entire mint factory. That's Eleggua.

Drydown

WTF? NOO~! This has turned into burnt plastic on me! NOOOOO! It now smells like my kitchen does after I've depoted eyeshadows

Aftermath

I wanted to love you. I did. But you failed me Eleugga and now you go up for sale :P

In the bottle: sweet peppermint.

On skin initially: peppermint Nyquil, much too medicinal for my taste.

After an hour: This isn't rum, as noted by other users, not on my skin. Whiskey, perhaps, but more like Peppermint Schnapps. Much too boozey and not enough mint remaining, making this a wash-off-and-swap scent.

Bottle (Imp): Nummm, minty.

Just On: Definitely minty. Almost like after dinner mints.

An hour or two later: The mint has faded, and left some sweetness on my skin.

Around 6 hours: A little bit of mint, and some sweetnes, and it's starting to be a skin scent.

12 hours: It's left me now.

Overall: This smells wonderful, and I can see going for more of it.

After reading other reviews: I never got the boozines out of this that others did. I like it anyway, that's not so important to me.

The ever-sweet Cricketshay sent me a surprise imp of this in our last swap! :D

In the imp: Minty minty minty goodness! So delicious I could lick it!

Wet: Still that sharp peppermint note blasting out on my skin. There's a vague coconut note, but it's extremely faint and nowhere near as strong as it is in Spooky. There's a boozy, golden note in here that I can only identify as rum, but there's also a smokiness that I'm having trouble identifying.

Drydown: The minty sharpness is gone. Boo on my skin. It completely devoured it. Also that faint whiff of coconut is gone. It's all smoky booze on me. And it's not a pretty thing either. Damn.

Final thoughts: I mourn. I swear, I mourn. :P

Origins - part of the TAL circular swap

Wet - minty with something else underneath.

Dry - at first I still get the mint top note, but after awhile it fades and I get…Laudanum? I'm not sure if this is sasparilla I am smelling, but it smells just like Laudunum to me. I don't get any of the boozy notes the other mention, just mint and sasparilla. Even though I am not a big mint fan, this is a surprisingly nice scent. It's very light on my however, and there isn't much throw at all.

Eleggua

Courtesy of the TAL circular swap.

In the imp: bright, clear mint. It reminds me of the mint in some of the tarot blends-maybe its pennyroyal?

Wet on skin: sweet and minty. Reminds me of the Fool.

Dry on skin: mint. Probably a blend of spearmint and pennyroyal-it's a sweet mint blended with a cooler, green mint. It really does remind me of the Fool. There's a sweet background to this-maybe a floral scent? It's a very pleasant, cool scent.

After a while: coconut? I think I can detect coconut here as well! And a slight dusty, earthy smell, but this isn't too bad-it's mainly mint and coconut. Perfect for summer!

Verdict: this is a very pleasant, playful mint scent. A sweet mint blended with a green mint, it's cool and bright. After a while, a coconut scent peeks out. It reminds me of the Fool and the Star tarot oils. This is such a lovely, summery scent, cheerful and sweet, but as I am unsure of it's purpose and I know nothing about Eleggua, I might not buy more-though I wouldn't mind getting an imp, but if this was a non TAL scent, I'd get more!

Edited by yeahbutnobut

My Impression:

This is a sharp boozy mint that errupts from the vial. As with most all other the Twighlight Alchemy Oils I have tried to date they all have alot of throw and umph to them. After drydown, it really does morph into something quite softer. Normally I dislike mint scents but this is truly very lovely. My scale of 1-5.... 4

How odd... this wasn't minty to me at all.

First sniff: Holy mother of all that is coconut! And there’s a hint of rum in the background, and a tiny bit of citrus. It’s a tropical drink.

Wearing: After I put this on, I got a little worried about wearing it to work. The rum is just too sharp on my skin – it overpowers the coconut and smells rather like I splashed Myers on myself.

Eleggua is PEPPERMINT!

(Disclaimer: This review was written in a circular swap, so I did not use the oil for ritual purposes. I can only report here on its scent. I believe this is valuable information so people know if they will find the oil physically/aesthetically uncomfortable when they use it for its intended purpose, BUT I do not believe TAL oils should be used as simple perfume. )

Tried very sparingly as part of the TAL Circular Swap.

The first thing I thought of when I sniffed this was Spooky. To the point where for a split second I almost thought it was mislabled or something. Except that there is no chocolate in Eleggua.

Instead, Eleggua is my very favorite stage of Spooky, about two hours into wearing, after the woah, chocolate mint contingent has settled and the rummy coconut bits come out to dance with the peppermint.

Woah, indeed.

Mint on top, light and sweet with something almost buttery and soft beneath it. Not quite vanilla, but a little lighter and more fresh. This was a gorgeous scent that I really loved, very wintery without being cold.

And I have no idea how to use it so sniff test only.

A little background for those not familier with Ellegua: Ellegua is the Orisha of doorways and oppertunities and is Guardian of the Crossroads of Life. Ellegua is a messenger to the higher gods. A Trickster by nature Ellegua must never be ignored. Traditional offerings include Rum, Cigars, and Candy.

In the Bottle: Spooky only with more soul and with out the chocolate

On: Minty coconut rum. Amazing and powerful. Am in love. Syrupy and sweet but with a boozy assertiveness that is in no way unpleasant. The mint is sharp at first but mellows - assisted into submission by the coconuy

Edited by Tramp

Alright, I said I wouldn't review these for their scent, because in general, these aren't to be used cosmetically, but I annointed my Papa Legba likeness and then rubbed the left over oil into my hands for concentration.

The scent of wet cigar tabacco, banana leaves, cane sugar, bay rum and coconut helped in the creation of a perfect atmosphere for what I was doing.

If you don't have any of the other Yoruba based Temple TALs I would highly recommend this for initiating the Loas or direct concentration on Papa Legba.

Beth did an amazing job with this oil and for me, it does exactly what I wanted it for.

In Bottle: Super bright mint

On Skin: Boom! This wakes me up. It’s a beautiful sweet mint, it reminds me of the mint note in Spooky. Oh my god, it’s beautiful! I would normally say I’m not a mint fan, but this is so sweet and yummy and doesn’t burn my nose like some mints can. It isn’t sharp like Lick It, or some of the icy scents… this is much more sweet and mellow. I also get a slight coconut from it. It’s kind of like Spooky without the chocolate. I love this scent, I wish I had more of it. I hope it gets released on the TAL site soon! Light to average throw and fairly short lasting power.

I have read of Eleggua as one who shakes of stagnency, and I need that right now.

Good colors to use with this oil are red and black, if you are like me and enjoy announting candles, or intend to perform a ritual with this.

I am burning this in an oil burner within my office, to cleanse the space and bring in a feeling of change and refreshment.

It smells to me first of coconut, but then secondarily of mint. The two together. I don't really get any other notes from it, but would love if it had rum in it, because of Eleggua's connection to it.

This is a great one for energy, and therfore, I'd imagine, for the will to make changes.

Eleggua in its imp vial smells very similar to the way that Spooky smells in the bottle that I have. On me, Spooky is bracing peppermint with chocolate and coconut, and a drydown of buttery rum cookies.

Eleggua seems to have a softer mint on me, more spearmint than peppermint, and none of the chocolate that was in Spooky. Spearmint and coconut, with perhaps a bit of the buttery rum thrown in as well. It's very light on me and fades away entirely after about an hour, but it's a rather pleasant, sweet scent while it lasts :P.

I had never heard about this oil, until I saw it on a swap/sales post. I had to read the reviews to get an idea of the notes. Being a mint ho, I had to try it!

I know this is a TAL oil, but damn I LOVE this on me!!! :P I agree, it reminds me of spooky. Mint that is laced with coconut and rum. It is fresher and lighter than Spooky w/o the chocolate. I'll try to use this for its intended purpose as a TAL oil but, it's going to be hard for me not to use it as a perfume.

I'm wondering if this is still avaliable to buy more? Hoard worthy for sure!

A+

I received an imp of Eleggua in a swap- thank you generous swapper, that was much appreciated! :P

This is not an oil that I would have got for myself as I do not have a spiritual connection to the Orishas. Yet, I find it very interesting to compare the mood that such a blend evokes with my own preconceived notions of what an Eleggua oil could be like.

I was expecting something tropical, a mix of the components of a traditional ofrenda, such as alcohol, tobacco, coconut and other fruits. However, I wasn't expecting such a bright, almost sharp mint note- but there is no question that it is there! It is actually the most prominent note, together with the coconut and a sweet undertone. I can definitely see the similarity to a lighter Spooky.

Didn't try it on my skin and, since I will not use it for the ritual purposes for which it is intended, I hope to be able to find a good home for it. It smells lovely and would create a very evocative atmosphere as a ritual blend.

I cant believe I havent done a review for this yet!

Eleggua is my wake-up scent, when I'm not able to get up (I have hypothyroidism and sometimes I just literally cant wake) hubby brings me the Eleggua and it brings me out of it.

It burns a slightbit on the skin, but not in an unpleasant way, a refreshing kind of cooling minty burn... like cooling gels.

The scent is mint/chocolate, a different kind, not a candy-ish scent, more sophisticated.

One of my favorites!

(and needed at times!)