Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Seajewel

By Day She Made Herself into a Cat

A feral eyeshine of amber gleaming through a pool of ink-black musk.

By Day She Made Herself into a Cat is a deep, profoundly relieving gasp of cool, nocturnal air when you've been exposed too long to a brutal slash of sunlight.  It's exactly as the notes suggest, amber and inky black musk in perfect proportions. It smells like swallowing the dark stillness of a midnight dream. This is one of those scents that is very much A Whole Vibe, and if your vibe is Must Love Cats And Darkness, you will probably dig this one.

Edited by ghoulnextdoor

If Haunted is amber dominant with a touch of black musk, By Day She Made Herself Into a Cat is definitely the opposite. I get a very rich, intense, dark, spicy black musk that blends seamlessly into amber.

For me, this is the black musk that I absolutely adore from Streets of Detroit, but here sweetened and warmed and fuzzed with amber instead of myrrh and motor oil. It's dark and absolutely feline, and I can see it becoming one of my go-tos. I really, really love this one.

This is so black musk! Love it to start - cool & spicy. Softens up to a more powdery musk. I adore black musks at the cold-spicy black peppercorn end of the spectrum, and this just isn't sharp enough for me to keep. Very nice! Don't get me wrong! But I think I'd still reach for my others more often.

Gorgeous! The amber is smooth and chewy, and the black musk is really lovely. Slinky and spicy.

There are so many different varieties of black musk, but this one reminds me of black ink, incense cones, and velvety, warm fur.  The amber is sweetly resinous and I would have guessed it was myrrh, actually.  There's a spicy warmth to it in the drydown that's clove-like to me.  Very deep, dark, and resinous/ incensey.  I love it.

Definitely a whole vibe! I thought it smelled like SoD too, but I like this better. Hits the same chord though. All of the sentiments above I can confidently echo and all I can add is that at first sniff in the bottle I thought I detected a bit of red musk. As soon as I put it on, I realized it was not. I like this a whole lot, and half of a bottle may not suffice. 

Oh, this is dreamy. This is a fluffy cat basking in a sunbeam next to the Streets of Detroit. It’s sweet and dark, but still inviting and warm. This catwitch is friendlier than she appears, at least to the right person, and a backup may be needed. 

On 6/22/2023 at 9:46 AM, elissamay said:

For me, this is the black musk that I absolutely adore from Streets of Detroit, but here sweetened and warmed and fuzzed with amber instead of myrrh and motor oil. It's dark and absolutely feline, and I can see it becoming one of my go-tos. I really, really love this one.

Streets of Detroit was the first comparison I thought of as well. Herself reads as slightly more feminine and sleek than Streets. Since Streets is in my top ten bpal favorites I'm ecstatic Herself is similar. 😁❤️😁🐈

I love it! So dark and delicious, but not in a foodie way, more like a 'I just walked in on a dark ritual' kind of way. The ritual is not really evil, as evidenced by the hint of sweetness from the amber, but it is dark enough to be exciting! It reminds me of when I used to go shopping at the goth shop on Mount Royal street, where they would always burn incense. The scent is pretty strong and lingers for quite a while, which I appreciate.

She's definitely witch's familiar! This kitty has been rolling around in her witchy human's incense again, the naughty thing. 

I don't reach for black musk too often, but this is really nice. The fluffy fur + musk + sweet incensy amber is making me want to play Cult of the Lamb again.

This is a spicy black musk, at first in the bottle I got straight amber and black peppercorns. This accounts for the fuzziness. I'm finding this more congenial than Death: My Irony. Of course it would be sweeter because of the amber. A sticky sweet fur, definitely a cat rolled in incense.  I don't get red musk like some reviewers have but a lemony note has come out on top of everything and the amber is smoothing out.

I can see the comparison with Streets of Detroit. They both have rounded oily resins and both are simple. This is less industrial. A bit spicier though I wouldn't call it fully spicy. Again, a cat rolling around in amber.

Edit This is developing a strong grape tinge. It no longer seems to have peppercorn at all, still love it.

Edited by patina

Dark musk with a hint of sweetness! I love this more than I thought I would. I have two bottles but will likely get at least one more before the collection comes down. Two friends have tried mine and bought their own! Beautiful!

Edited by icecreamcone