Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Lab's Description:
A quiet scent, soft, calm and enigmatic. A perfume of mystery, of whispers, and of secrets behind secrets. White sandalwood, lilac, gardenia, violet, orris, lavender and ylang ylang.

Oh this is such a lovely soft scent I don't know even where to begin. The lavender and violet blend so well it's a very subtle and calming scent with a hint of mystery. However I kept trying to pin what it smells like but I couldn't until I recieved a visit and realized.

This scent smells like a newborn baby. My goddaughter is about 3 months old and this smells exactly like her...a bit baby powderish but not overpoweringly so. Not at all. It also has tremendous staying power a little of this stuff goes a long long way. I had someone come up to me in the bookstore and mention how lovely I smelled.

Do try it if you want to smell lovely and soft :P

Violet and the orris (iris) are what jump out at me for starters. With a little time, the wisp of lavender and the lilac start to come through, and while the violet and iris stay foremost and true, they're mellowed a bit by the sandalwood, which I think there must be very little of.

The ylang-ylang is invisible - hosannas to the highest! :P I can wear this all I want - and I'll be ordering a bottle right away. It's not too powdery, not too sweet - and the iris leads this to a whole new level of classic femininity.

"Younger than springtime are you, gayer than laughter are you, warmer than winds of June are the gentle lips you gave me ... "

I can't stop sniffing my wrists. It's almost addictive.

Veil was one of the three scents I ordered a 5 ML of based solely on its description, and it's the first one of the three I've tried (I went through my 12 imps ears first), and I have to say I hope I am half as lucky with the other two ... this is an absolute keeper and by far my favorite of the ones I've used so far.

Wet, it was an intoxicating and intriguing combination of the florals. On one sniff I'd pick up the lilac, on another the violet. Drying for the first half hour it was a sweeter floral with a slightly sharp tang to it.

Now, five hours later, it is sweet and tropical and yet a little tart as well, and I am definitely smelling the sandalwood which is very calming.

This will definitely be a 10 ML purchase once I pay off all my bills and return to shopping mode (hopefully by May or June, which would be a lovely time of year for this ... it is the essence of lovely spring/summer nights).

ETA: Almost 10 hours after applying it and my wrists are still divine. I am so happy to finally have found a scent I adore and which seems to adore me ... right now the almost ineffable final scent has some definite lilac to it, but in that perfect hint of spring way.

I am just delicious.

REVISITED AND RE-REVIEWED APRIL 2013:

Completing my journey through the Vs as I am almost done retesting and reviewing every single BPAL in my collection, and I saved the best two for last with Veil and Velvet. This is from an imp purchased from the Lab in an impapalooza spree.

IN THE IMP: So many, many wonderful floral notes come bursting out at me but the most prevalent on first uncapping is the lavender.

Dabbed generously on wrist and in crook of arm.

WET: The lavender is a big "amper" with my body chemistry which is a good thing since it's one of my favorite notes but I still recognize nearly all of the other notes, each one individually greeting me as I move my arm here and there, especially the lilac and ylang ylang. This is somehow "juicy" without being fruity, and I'm not sure why.

DRYDOWN: A full, lush and complex floral scent, like a truly fine wine, it is one of my favorite florals and goes a long way towards explaining why, for the longest time, I thought I was a "floral" person on the BPAL front (I'm not, actually ... I'm a resiny/woodsy person with lavender thrown in).

OVERALL: This helped make me a BPAL slave for life and nothing has changed on that front. Going on my "big bottle" list.

On a scale of 1-5, a 5.

Edited by JazzieCazzie

First sniff: Veil is a very dry white floral, and there’s something warm and almost musky underneath, which doesn’t seem to fit – maybe it’s just my nose being weird again.

Wearing: There’s some sort of spice in this that reminds me of Indian food. :P It’s really strange to my nose and sticks out plainly under the flowers, which are predominant though I can’t pick out any specific notes. Still very dry but in a dry-white-wine way, not a dusty way. I hope the weird spice wanders off quickly – it’s making my nose not happy, though I can only smell it if I sniff my wrist. A few minutes in and the spice isn’t quite so distinct, but there’s still an odd sharpness, almost acrid, undertaste to this scent. It turned very honeysuckle-sweet on me at work.

I'm not a big fan of this one – Shroud behaved itself much better on my skin - but I plan to try it on again when Mother Nature has left town, considering how many of us have quite different reactions to scents based on our cycle.

Initial Impression:

Very green and wispy. Mysterious. I can really smell the lavender and the sandalwood here, but you can still tell that there's a host of other notes as it smells very complex.

After Wearing It:

I wasn't sure if I was going to like this when I first put it on. It was soft, and a bit too classic smelling. Classic floral scents usually don't do a lot for me, so I was a bit disappointed and more skeptical. I generally like sandalwood and could definitely smell it , but with the lilac and lavender (which were the other two notes I smelled most strongly), it smelled almost acrid. The feel of the scent was a dusty, rose mauve. The kind you see often in prim suits or sweater sets. And while I would say it started out as an old lady scent, it did remind me of my grandmother (on my mother's side) who's always been very upright and all about looking poised, polished, and respectable at all times. But mantra with BPAL oils is to persist, persist, persist, and so persist I did.

And oddly enough after the first half hour, I grew to like it better with every passing minute. I'm not sure if the scent actually changed, or if I just became more open to the entire scent. It's still very ladylike and floral on me, but it's softer, sweeter. Soft and powdery, it exudes gentleness and quite composure. The gardenia and ylang ylang is what I think what I'm smelling for the sweetness (though I at first wondered if I was smelling jasmine) while the orris and violet round out the scent and give it a bit of humor. It feels like a mother figure, but not a scent that makes you feel older or old fashioned, but reminds me of something we all might hope to be. It's wise and compassionate, filled with warmth, gentleness and serenity. She's seen the storms and turmoil life has to throw at us and has learned from it and come out a better person who can face life with such grace. An enchanting and inspiring scent.

Final Thoughts:

I started out with this scent feeling that it was an inevitable swap, but hours later I've grown rather fond of it, particularly for such an overt, straight floral blend. I'm not sure if I'll end up needing a full bottle of it, but I'll definitely finish the imp ear.

A very quiet, pretty scent - I couldn't keep my nose out of my wrists. I kept whiffing at them. <.<;;

In the bottle: It smelled fairly sharp and green when I first popped the top on my imp so I wasn't too sure how much I'd like it.

On the skin: Stayed that sharp, green scent for a couple minutes, but after that...woohoo! Prettyprettypretty! A very gentle, floral scent that made me want to keep smelling myself.

After a couple hours: Still there, but you really have to sniff for it. I wish it was a bit stronger but hey - just put more on, right? :P

In the bottle, the smell is very sharp.

Wet, a few minutes after application, violet and lavender are duking it out on my left wrist, and the lavender seems to be winning. That's about all I can smell so far.

Weird, but after some drydown time it smells just like Dial soap to me! (And I don't use Dial soap)

I must have a really peculiar chemistry! :P

4/20: On second try, I liked this much better. It didn't dry down to eau de Dial soap today. It is a very calming scent, but that is probably because of the lavender. And that's probably what reminded others of babies--many baby bath products and lotions have lavender in them.

I almost swapped it away, but decided to give it another whirl. I probably won't order a bottle, but I think I'm keeping my imp! :D

Edited by Scylla

Initially, I didn't too much of Veil, but I decided to try it again since today was such a beautiful spring day. Wet, it goes on sharp and green, reminiscient of freshly-cut grass. I did apply it when I was at school and walked across the lawn and the scents complimented each other nicely, haha.

There's something seriously addictive about this scent. It's very understated and subtle. I didn't know what oils were used when I put it on. All I could think of was a spiciness that is well-blended with something soft. It did remind me of chocolate for some reason, but I think that might be my mixing it up with Velvet (which I haven't tried yet). I had thought there was jasmine in here as well. If I could sum up Veil, the words "soft" and "secure/safe" come to mind. "Powdery" is another word. It's very calming, and now that I think about it, Karyn's right; it does smell like a newborn baby. And for such a subtle scent, it lingers for a very long time. I'm going to wear this one to bed!

Dammit, woman, you're just too good! Elizabeth, I mean you!

I had a long day of work (painting), took a long Bon Bomb bath, slapped on some Veil for the first time, hopped into bed with a wonderful book... and found myself reading the same paragraph 7 times because I was so buy sniffing I kept losing my place.

I received Veil in a swap, and I did not even read the description or reviews... more like, that sounds nice. I give you imp, you give me imp. Since Elizabeth's gift imps were better chosen than the ones I chose myself, i'm pretty much going on chance now. And holy of holies, it's one of the most wonderful things i've ever smelled. I've been blown away by several scents so far, and this one is way up there. If I didn't already have two orders in, I would be demanding a 10 mL of this amazing elixir.

Oh, you wanted a review?

Imagine a moment in a childhood that you never had, in which you're alone in a field, utterly safe and completely, deliriously happy. Everything is fuzzy around the edges, everything is blooming, little dandelion puffies are dancing in circles with you. You have eyes the color you always wanted, which is clear sky blue for me. You're wearing a dress so soft that it's about like being naked, but without the splinters and goosebumps, and you're barefoot on the soft, deep grass. And you've built a tent out of white sheets, and you're lying inside on a purple bit of carpet, with the wind and the beauty of springtime billowing the sheets, and you've picked a bunch of violets and are laying them on your eyes and lips because they're softer than velvet. These are dream violets, and they actually smell of real victorian violets. That is what Veil smells like to me. I had to get out of bed, put down my book, tediously turn on my laptop and start writing about it. It's that lovely. It's perfect.

First impression in the bottle it smelled orange/jasmine.

Wet i had a scent flashback of this one suntan oil that i got in the UK back in the 80's (i think it was bergasol?).

Dry down more of the florals come out with the sweet orange/jasmine tang.

Later on the Lilac, gardenia and ylang ylang are getting way too overpowering for me.

Enough so that I have to wash it off.

Way to floral and heady for me.

This goes into the swap pile.

Gosh,

This smells like my godmother, but I dont know how or why I associate this scent with her :P The violet really stands out for me, it smells like baby powder, but it feels very fresh and clean. I can definitely see the new born comparison smells.

This is a very gentle female scent, but at the same time it's incredibly complex. It also reminds me of the smell of a greenhouse in Kew gardens but colder.

Another impressive scent.

Smells of lilacs and spring. A powdery blue/violet floral.

Veil is very, very clean on me. Not quite soapy or cleaning-fluid, as I feared it would be when I first put it on, but a very quiet, powdery clean. I don't know if I'm smelling lilac, violet, or lavender, or all three, but it smells like a refined beautiful old grandmother's drawer sachet, or a very small baby. It's not nearly sweet or spicy or floral enough to be something I'd wear -- but I can see this being a perfect scent for someone who had never really been into perfume and didn't like the idea of smelling like perfume, someone who just wants to smell clean and pretty. I smell like I just took an amazing bath with all kinds of old-school yardley and crabtree and evelyn bath stuff in it. This is a great BPAL imp to give to your perfume-skeptical best friend, your grandmother who uses abovementioned bath products, or your clean-scrubbed athletic teenage niece.

Wow. This one's strong. I think I put a wee bit much on, as I was fearing this would be a light scent. Hoo-boy, I was wrong on that account!

In the bottle: Others have hit the nail on the head with this one. Crisp and green. Sharp even. It could probably clear my sinuses, if I were having problems. Though, it's not a bad thing. It's just a lot greener than most of the imps that I've kept around. I'm a wee mite disappointed though, as I can't smell the lilac, and I was hoping to. I love lilacs so.

Early on: Doesn't change much from the scent in the bottle. I wish my nose were better trained, because I have a hard time picking out individual notes from a lot of these. I think I'm getting the lavender and violet strongly though. I have an impression that Ylang ylang is sweeter than what I'm smelling, so I don't think that's coming out much.

Wearing: It's soft (though coming on very strong, if that makes sense) .. and I'm definitely not smelling lilac in this. I wonder if layering it with my lilac lotion might help soften this a little. It's a very strong scent though .. I'm smelling it all around me. And like others, I can't seem to stop sniffing my wrist, despite my concerns that this one isn't settling down like I'd hoped. Addictive, just the same.

FIRST SNIFF: decaying grass in a compost heap?

WEARING IT: decaying grass in a compost heap with lilacs and violets decaying beside it. as it dries it becomes less of a decaying scent and similar to, but not as lovely as, morella.

FINAL VERDICT: i'd rather buy morella :P

Edited by any_old_actress

First Impression: Sharp and herbaly. A tad on the soapy side.

Second Impression: The violet is sharp with the woods egging it on. No ylang ylang here.

Final Analysis: Veil is nice, pretty even, but does not suit my personality. The lovely lady above is quite right. Morella is light years better!

Edited to add: It vanished so quickly. The scent didn't even last 30 minutes.

Edited by andrabell

Veil is one that eventually came to grow on me. I got an imp of it in my last order and I tested it mostly on my year old daughter because it smelled babyish to me,but I think I will get a 5ml of this next time. :P Like a newborn baby its a very pure clean virgin like scent. I think the sandalwood and ylang ylang give it a little sweetness and excitement. Yea I think i will get a bottle of this one. :D

Edited by Reinaluna

Swiped across wrists and along collarbone.

Initial Wet (8-8:30am): A very nice bouquet – like running through a field of flowers. I can identify separate scents: lilac, lavender, gardenia, orris (iris), violet, ylang ylang … very sweet and airy – not at all heavy. I get a slight mingling, but it is more of a separate whiff of each specific flower at the same time.

This is such a soothing, calming, peaceful, sleep-inducing scent. I should try wearing it to bed.

Initial Dry (8:30-10am): The sandalwood begins to peek out behind the florals, giving the bouquet a dusky thickness. Still rather pleasant and calming. The individual scents are indistinguishable from one another now that it’s dry.

Throughout the Day (10am-1pm): This certainly toned down quite a bit. I am now catching whiffs of the florals, which combined with the underlying sandalwood; lay down a blanket of sweet incense. My wrists hold the opposite (sandalwood with an underlying floral). Still very light and calming, and quite lovely.

By 1pm, this had all but dissipated. I can still smell it very faintly on my wrists. A perfect blend for promoting sleep, and if I choose to wear it out, then I’ll just have to bring along the imp for re-application.

Floral and green in the bottle, lots of violet here.

On me, it mellowed quickly, leaving a faint waxy, buttery scent which quickly smoothes out with the lilac. Pretty, soft feminine... and where'd it go? Like it's namesake it nearly dissapeared against my skin. A lovely scent but I'm going to re-swap this swap because it's just not me. :P

Ok, I have been reluctant to review Veil, because although it is without a doubt *heartbreakingly* lovely, it just wasn't as rich as my beloved Siren, as violetty as Nocturne, or as fresh as Rosalind.

Then my annoying ex-boyfriend showed up on my doorstep.

From Luxembourg.

DRENCHED in Gaultier le Male (or whatever the hell that kind is in the man-shaped bottle, it smells sickly sweet when used to excess). :P

Carrying about three dozen overripe Casablanca lilies.

And a bottle of duty-free J'Adore.

And suddenly Veil became the perfect, understated antithesis to this overblown and cartoonish situation filled with hackneyed scents and swaggering chauvinism. Soft, sweet, the violets peeking out from beneath the lavender blowing in the warm wind, the sandalwood anchoring the flowers...last night was the full moon and I smelled like a votive offering...

This scent was a series of surprises -- or unveilings, perhaps. It had been a while since I read the scent description; all I was really expecting was violets.

In the tube and for the first 5 seconds on my arm: Surprise! Pure, fresh lavender oil.

Then for about 5 minutes, the lavender mingled with the violets I was expecting, plus some lush lilac -- Surprise! Another favorite floral note of mine.

The lavender disappeared quickly, and the lilac soon after that, and for an hour or so I was left with a soft, rich, powdery violet -- not baby-powdery; rather, the powderiness of an elegant French face powder.

I assumed that the journey was largely over and that the violet would continue getting softer and gentler as the hours progressed...but again...

Surprise! The scent got sharper, warmer...the violet gave way to a crisp, subtle sandalwood that stayed for the rest of the day.

A lovely scent. I wish the violet had lasted longer, but the sandalwood is nice, too.

Edited by Merteuil

Ok, I am a little apprehensive about this one because of the gardenia scent. I love the smell of gardenias but, like Magnolias, I am really allergic. I'm really hoping that it isn't that bad on me.

In the Bottle: Veil reminds me of Delirium. Its a soapy smell, light and slightly floral. Maybe a bit watery? Its hard to tell.

On Me: I can't believe that I thought that this smelled like Delirium! It is much more green, not as soapy as I had thought orignally, and the lilac can really come through on this one. I can't keep my nose off of my wrists at all! This is a very light floral with that green scent that makes me think of a fresh wreath of flowers on a hot day, with a blanket spread under you so that you don't get your dress dirty, but your fingers slightly stained with the green of the stems as you weave.

Ah...heaven!

Although Veil is a complex floral and masterfully blended, on my skin all I could detect is the high, bracing, overpoweringly antiseptic smell of lavender essential oil. It was unrelenting and did not evolve the way Elizabeth’s other blends have on my skin. It’s clearly my chemistry, though, as it smelled delightful in the vial.

This fragrance would probably be a good match for fans of lavender e.o. or fans of essential oil blends in general. In the vial I could smell a tantalizing tangle of violet, lilac, and gardenia and on the right person I can imagine it would be a knock-out.

In the bottle: all sandalwood. I almost didn't try some on, but I know better. I only put the scarcest amount on, just in case, so it's a little faint at the time I'm reviewing it.

Wet: sandalwood and lilac, really strong and musky, as if I was shut in a closet with dried versions of each.

Drying: A sweeter scent is coming through, probably gardenia.

Dry a few hours later: Sweet gardenia, with lilac and sandalwood undertones. I really like the dry version!

I never smelled the lavender, but I'm okay with that.