Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
OctoberGwen

Pumpkin V (2014)

Pumpkin artwork by Ruby Velez!

Pumpkins, pumpkin vines, and wild mushrooms with white sage, cade, sweetgrass, and vanilla-infused rosewood.

And now for something completely different! The pumpkin is very present - and it's not buttery at all - but I got a lot of sage and a lovely, earthy (mushroom?) grassy smell. A true pumpkin patch scent, as in you are sitting in the field after the harvest and there a few pumpkins left behind and they are slowly returning to the earth. They aren't rotting, not yet, but everything smells loamy and fecund and earthy. I believe this is the first pumpkin I've tried where there are no spices to be found.

Wow, this is gorgeous. Not a foody pumpkin--it really does smell like pumpkins in a field, and rather puts me in mind of Pumpkin III 2009, without the sharpness of the fir in that one. Definitely getting the sage, grass, and vines with a pumpkin base. Getting a bottle on this one for sure.

This is mostly pumpkin - slightly buttery, but much less so than most other BPAL pumpkin blends I have tried. There is an earthiness to the blend that might be the mushrooms. After a while, a bit of the rosewood comes forth and warms the blend up some more.

It's quite pretty, but ultimately not really for me, I think. I will probably keep the decant, though! It's nice to have a non-buttery pumpkin scent on hand :smile:

Pumpkin V is the same on me as most of the other Pumpkin scents I've tried from the lab. Strong and spicy and puts me in mind of a craft store potpourri mix. I wish I could pick out the other notes but so far they're missing or just stomped on by the pumpkin. This might be good in an oil burner but I don't think I'll be wearing it. It kind of hurts my sinuses. If something amazing happens the next time I wear it I'll definitely update this review.

I agree, this is the least craft-store-potpourri pumpkin blend I've ever smelled and I love it (and the other variety too, being a foodie and all) :D On me, the pumpkin note is taking the lead with its spiciness but it's not buttery/foodie really, it's more of a dry spice like a pumpkin with whole sticks of cinnamon and whole cloves sitting on it. There's a bit of the earthy mushroom trying to peek out and say hi. That's one reason I was interested in this blend, I loved the mushroom note in The Grave-Pig. These are not similar in the least though XD Oh, there's the hay/sweetgrass/vines, which read just a bit as celery to my nose. Grassy notes seem to do that a lot. If your skin isn't weird like mine, this would be such a fantastic alternative to all the sweet, foodie pumpkin blends if you still want a pumpkin fix.

in imp: smells like a generic pumpkin candle...i hope it wears better than this

will update when I get to try it on!

In the bottle: Fresh pumpkins and their vines, sage, vanilla, and sweetgrass.

Wet: The sage and sweetgrass move to the foreground. The vines seem to be drying out.

The dry-down: Dried pumpkin vines, sage, sweetgrass, a hint of the vanilla, and also a touch of the wild mushroom as well. Not like inside a crafts store, but outside, in the warm sunshine, as the pumpkin dries amongst drying sage plants, drying sweetgrass, drying mushrooms, all sprinkled w/ a bit of vanilla. No cade that I could detect, which is good, as juniper and its relatives usually amp on me. The rosewood might account for the drying feeling. I do like this very much. :)

Edited by thekittenkat

I really get the sage, grass, ivy and rose-wood. No pumpkin. This is probably the most floral/green smelling pumpkin blend I've ever tried.

I definitely amp up the rosewood and grass note on the drydown. It sort of smells like some high end soap. Good throw, decent wear length.

Green, rosy, soap.

Wet: Creamy, somewhat buttery pumpkin. Compared to other pumpkin blends you might call this subdued.

Drydown: Oh-Dear-God, it’s gorgeous! Creamy, slightly woody pumpkin. Like a pumpkin cream latte from heaven. There’s a charming glow from the rosewood and just a hint of crumbly sage grounding things. Just enough to add interest and nothing more.

Dry: The pumpkin fades out and the dryness of the sage and rosewood take over. I can detect the mushroom now, which is earthy and kissed by a light touch of vanilla. Dry and smooth, a little earthy and a little creamy. Usually pumpkin blends are too bold and buttery on my skin, but this one is rather nice.

8 out of 10 bones

I get pumpkin, but not so buttery as previous years, and the sweetgras and vanilla infusion taking the forefront. This is lovely, and would be nice at any time of the year, not just fall. I get more sage as it dries down, but this was a very pleasant surprise for me.

This is basically the lab's pumpkin spice and a touch of a sharp wood, which I'm guessing is the rosewood. Not as sweet as the other pumpkins, and it seems more clove heavy. I think there is a bit of overkill on all the pumpkin spice blends.

This is intriguing.

A musty (in a good way) unusual scent that makes one think of a field with dirt and pumpkin and other things growing.

ETA: I like this but it seems to fall in the category of scents that has other people asking 'what's that smell?' Not necessarily in a bad way, but just not associated with perfume and something that one would be wearing.

Edited by Megank4

Interesting! Spicy, but in an earthy kind of way, not like cinnamon. Sweet. Ya, earthy describes this for sure, but it's also a bit foodie to me. A bit woody. Different. Glad I got to try it, but sadly the Lab's pumpkin note is just not for my skin, it goes off on me after a while.

Buttery, cinnamony pumpkin with hints of herbal greenery and dirt. Pumpkin Patch V '05 is still my favorite pumpkin patch scent (pumpkin with five woods, English ivy and galangal root), and it doesn't have the spiciness that this one has, and the earthy/plant parts were more dry and creamy where this is green and sharp to me.

Waxy pumpkin and mushrooms, similar to the mushroom note in Death Cap to me! This doesn't seem foodie at all to me even though the pumpkin is super prominent. I think there may be a dirt note in here as well. A little bit of wood and grass as well.

This is pretty good, definitely try and find this if you want a more natural pumpkin scent.