Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Can it really be possible that I'm the first to review this? :eek: (Mods, I looked hi and lo, but if I somehow missed the thread, by all means, merge this with the existing one and accept my deepest apologies!)

Anyway, On With The Show!

In the Bottle: All rum, all the time. This is definitely the same sweet boozy rum note from the Lilith scent, and even has a bit of the creamy element I recall from that one, at least at this point. I'm hoping some butter shows up later, though... *fingers crossed*

Wet On Skin: the spicy-boozy quality is showing up loud and proud now, with a strong under note of pure rough sugar. This is seriously RUM at this stage.

Dry Down: This has mellowed into a more rummy version of the Egg Nog scent. It's got a cream to it (not butter, which I'm a bit sad about, actually) and still lots and lots of rum as the predominant note, but with a spicier edge.

In All: medium throw with a strong but subtle presence, I think Hot Buttered Rum has potential- but maybe needs some aging. I'm going to hold on to my bottle and check it again in later Spring. If it's changed in the way that I hope, it'll be highly covetable indeed. If not- off to the swap pile! ;)

Buttery. Spicy (I'm getting nutmeg and allspice but no cinnamon) and of course rum. I may be picking up a little brown sugar but I'm not certain on that. I love the buttery part but then again I love Shill. ;)

Smells like Butter Rum lifesavers!! It was very spicy and not too boozy on my BF and more boozy on me!!

I love this because it reminds me of one of my favorite candies of all time, butter rum Nips, that I used to eat by the handful back in junior high when calories were a nonentity. :lol: The wet stage and drydown are very similar on me, a sweet buttery dark rum that takes on a mildly spiced quality as it dries down. There is definitely some clove in here though it behaves itself, and a sprinkling of nutmeg and allspice. It's actually boozier wet than it is dry, and actually sweeter wet than dry, though I could wager the booziness factor on the drydown will increase with age.

Edited by Invidiana

VioletChaos pretty much wrote my review for me! We must be skin-twins ;):D

YUM YUM YUM - it's HOT BUTTERED RUM! Boozy, smutty, hot, buttery, gluggy - it's all good. I guess I expected this would smell like.. you know, hot buttered rum, but I'm surprised at just how much it actually does smell like hot buttered rum.

Is that my most useless review ever? Yes! I think it might be! :D

Sadly, the initial YUM YUM YUM thing dries down to the awful smell of burnt brown sugar and melting plastic, as these kinds of things tend to do, so it ends up being not so great.

Big :wub: to the always lovely Dark Alice for sharing this with me :glomp:

In vial: Not being a drinker, this reminds me immediately of butter rum lifesavers. There is a distinct boozy bite to this though.

Wet: Immediately awash in booze! Strong, buttery rum. It has a similar feel to Boo on me - if Boo was golden instead of ghostly, and tarnished instead of clean. Maybe that only makes sense to me, but there you go.

Dry: Does go slightly plastic, I am sure aging will fix this.

Verdict: Not something I'd enjoy wearing, but it was fun to try.

An angel gifted a partial of this to me, thank you! :wub2:

In the bottle: Dark boozy sweet buttered rum scent, almost effervescent.

Wet on skin: The scent stays the same, with added booziness and spices (cinammon, nutmeg, ginger maybe) on my skin.

Dry on skin: After a while, I get a faint boozy slightly creamy spicy dark rum.

Final thoughts: This is a pretty unchanging scent, the boozyness and butter notes only becoming softer, spicier and creamier as the perfume dries on the skin. Lovely scent!

Try if you like: Grog, Egg Nog

This smelled really bubblegummy to me when wet. Once it dried, I got more of the Butter Rum Lifesaver thing, but definitely more butter than rum to my nose. Not really for me.

Hot Buttered Rum

On: This totally smells like butterscotch hard candies...doused in rum.

Overall: This made me feel woozy when wearing it. I think it is just too boozy for me.

Dusty cinnamon, boozy rum, and something that smells like spoiled egg nog.

This is utterly wretched on my skin and gives me a headache. Actually, it probably smells like the Monday after the Christmas office party - in which the bowl that the egg nog has been overturned, and it just sort of sat on the carpet over the weekend and when you come in Monday you realize what a mess the conference room carpet is.

SKIN FAIL.

Whoever said butterscothch rum candy was totally spot on, this is HOLY BATMAN RUM! on me w/ a shot of spice and booze and god is it ever wonderful. Totally worth tracking down if you can find it :wub2: (smells awful in the bottle IMHO, like medicine, but amazing on the skin)

I could have sworn I posted this review last year. :ack:

I so wanted to love Hot Buttered Rum. After all, hot buttered rum is delicious. Unfortunately, something simply didn't work here for me or my spouse.

In the bottle: Sticky sweet, like children's Motrin or something. Very syrupy but kind of in an unpleasant way rather than the rich way, say a maple syrup smells.

On Me: Did you ever get an ear infection as a child and have them prescribe that awful bubblegum-flavored Clavamox (antibiotic) to help out? It smells just. like. that.

On My Spouse: Well, as the spouse said, "Like someone threw a box of Splenda on a car tire fire" and "like when my radiator burst and the antifreeze burned on the engine." Something went terribly wrong and there was a burning rubber smell added. Not good.

In bottle: Rum edging into the candy level of sweetness with a warm soft butter note rounding it out. Wet: It reminds me a little of circus peanuts. As it warms the rum and butter fill out more and it gets a spicy sort of edge to it. I would swear this is cocoanut rum, as there is a coconut scent to it. It’s lovely and festive. Dry: A little weird on the dry down. The butter accord breaks down quickly as some elements fade faster than others. The effect is not entirely ideal with the softening notes in the rum. It’s wearable, but not as stunning as it first seemed.

ITB: I get ester-y banana and rum. I'm not a fan of banana scents, so I do hope it improves.

Wet: It's ester, the vapor-notes of the rum with a hint of subtle spice. I'm still not sure why I'm getting banana, though.

Dry: I get more rum now, but it's banana rum when paired with the overtly sweet spicing of the butter. I'm not a fan, but someone who enjoys foody scents might like this.

Butterscotch and rum! Mmmm. Heavily boozy with some spice, cinnamon and nutmeg maybe. I absolutely love Grog which I find to be far less sweet than this. In addition this has a strange off note, almost plasticky or... floral? WTH nose?! I thought it was plasticky but it's reading as some sort of floral to my nose. Hmm. Well it seems to burn off quickly. I already have Madagascan Vanilla Rum and Rum-Soaked French Tonka and I want a bottle of Grog, so do I need another rummy scent? ABSOLUTELY :lol:

i want to like this but i am scared because bpal rum scents do not work for me (even though i love rum!). this kiiinda works. the rum is warm and, yes, buttery, with gentle spices. but the rum is just SO plasticky to my nose. i also get a weird hint of banana which is making me think of banana bread... not a bad thing, but maybe not what i want in a perfume!?

This was all butterscoth candies on me! Very sweet and delicious! It's exactly like Butter Rum Cookie without the cookie. The staying power was a little less then BRC though sadly. I really love this one just wish it stayed around longer! :yum:

I love so many of the lab's rum scents, and I enjoy this one too.

There's something bright and sour about Hot Buttered Rum on my skin at first, almost like there's a sour fruit note mixed into the boozy, sweet, caramelized rum scent.
As it dries down, it still smells like sour pineapple and caramelized rum, but turns sweeter, warmer and creamier.

On me, Hot Buttered Rum is like pineapple and butter rum flavored lifesavers candies with an undertone of creamy coconut and a hint of the warm, caramelized edges of a pineapple upside down cake. It has a light dusting of cinnamon on me as well, but the spiciness is very well behaved, which is rare for me.

This smells verrrrry similar to Upa Upa, if you took the amped up spices out of Upa Upa. Golden, creamy, warm, sweet, tropical rum...

This is so strange, I bought this after trying the Winter 2020 release thinking this wouldn't be too much different than my imp. Boy, was I wrong. In the bottle and wet, it's literally bubblegum. Like the pink liquid amoxicillin medication kind of fake bubblegum scent. Not at all hot buttered rum, even when it's drying. It does lose that bubblegumness eventually, but it stays around a while and is pretty faint.

So I've never had hot buttered rum, but I feel like the Yule 2014 or Winter 2020 versions would be more accurate. I do love bubblegum so I'll keep this around for sure, but I am disappointed this isn't anywhere near close to my decant.

Here is my 2020 review if you're curious about the difference between this and the newer version.