Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
hkhm

Cheshire Moon

The Cat only grinned when it saw Alice. It looked good- natured, she thought: still it had VERY long claws and a great many teeth, so she felt that it ought to be treated with respect.

`Cheshire Puss,' she began, rather timidly, as she did not at all know whether it would like the name: however, it only grinned a little wider. `Come, it's pleased so far,' thought Alice, and she went on. `Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?'

`That depends a good deal on where you want to get to,' said the Cat.

`I don't much care where --' said Alice.

`Then it doesn't matter which way you go,' said the Cat.

`-- so long as I get SOMEWHERE,' Alice added as an explanation.

`Oh, you're sure to do that,' said the Cat, `if you only walk long enough.'

Alice felt that this could not be denied, so she tried another question. `What sort of people live about here?'

`In THAT direction,' the Cat said, waving its right paw round, `lives a Hatter: and in THAT direction,' waving the other paw, `lives a March Hare. Visit either you like: they're both mad.'

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.

`Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.'

`How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.

`You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'

A lunatic's blend of lunar herbs and blossoms, with lemongrass, guava, pink grapefruit, banyan fruit, hibiscus, and cherry blossom.

bottle: citrusy guava and sweet-tart fruits

wet: wow! guava and grapefruit and hibiscus heaven!

dry: this dries to a sweeter, fruitier grapefruit scent. incredibly playful.

A note from your mod: A Little Lunacy is for the three-day-only full-moon scents. Cheshire Moon was up for a month, so it's staying in the general LE forum. --Shollin

Wet, I get a soft, cheerful fruity scent with florals wafting around it. Literally! One second I turn and it's jasmine, then it's softer...A few minutes later the fruit/floral faded and it went to a very nebulous, soft scent that couldn't seem to decide if it was green or aquatic. Now it's an hour later and oddly, it's faded again to something like a gently fruity Milk Moon!

Sorry if that's not a lot of help! I like it, but it's not a top ten.

In bottle/imp: Very fruity with a lot of guava and touch of citrus and sweet flowers. VERY sweet.

Immediately on skin: This reminds me of Tanuki, only this is much sweeter and fruitier at first. The guava is quite strong. Even after only sitting on my skin for a moment though, this morphs: the grapefruit comes out, and also something warm and smooth in the background. I’m not sure if banyan fruit is supposed to smell of fig, or has a slightly different scent, but fig definitely could be this background note.

After a little while: This is such a lively, sweet, fruity fragrance. There’s a hint of fresh feminine flowers too. The grapefruit and lemongrass have faded again, but they are subtle and soft and blending nicely with the guava and earthy fig. The floral notes are very pretty and temper the fruit; they make it more feminine and wearable.

Overall Impressions: This scent is so much fun; it’s fruity and almost flirty. The citrus is stronger at first, but it fades gently and blends well with the sweet guava and banyan fruit. This has a nice smooth base from the banyan fruit, and the flowers are airy and light. This is much prettier than I was expecting.

This is a deeelishush!! Very juicy guava but rounded and mellowed by the hibiscus, and/or cherry blossom (pretty much rounded by a floral, but I can't place it) :P

Its a very full rounded scent (word of the day - Rounded).. it's foody, but not foooody. I like smelling like fruits and sugar so this is great. I bet it will layer well with a resin scent.

Edited by Purrsnikety

Mmmmm....

This is fruity, but not sweet in your face fruits. It has a creaminess that I think would work well for most people. It has the lovely guava that I enjoyed so much from Xanthe. This is a morpher. It is difficult to classify it. It's kinda foody, but it's not. One of the notes is really grounding this and giving it some great staying power, but I can't determine which one. It is unique, so it's possible it's one of the new component that I haven't encountered before (banyan fruit perhaps?) Th lunar blossoms and lunar oils aren't the traditional set to my nose. This is definitely something new to experience. There is a gentle, soft floral quality in the drydown. Cheshire Moon is both comforting and lively at the same time.

In the bottle: Sweet, sharp fruit and flowers over cake. Lovely.

Wet: More cakey, but still quite fruity/flowery.

Dry: I really amp those cake smells, don't I? Initial throw is strong, but it fades quickly, and I'm finding that half hour after I've put it on it's nearly gone. Just like that darn cat. What's left is that tangy fruit and soft floral surrounding cake.

The image I get in my head of this scent is a vanilla cake with lemon/orange frosting, decorated with heaps of blossoms and exotic fruit jellies. It's not sexy but it's comforting in a sweet, fun way. There's a touch of playful silliness in it. I really really like it and I'm glad I gambled on a bottle.

Cheshire Moon - When I sniff this in the bottle, it's sweet, warm, and bakery-foody. This is almost entirely grapefruit, guava, and cake on my skin. It reminds me a LOT of the creamy grapefruit scents in MB: Bigger Critters and Diary of a Lovestruck Teenage Cannibal, yet it's fruitier and juicier. It's very tropical and warm and creamy and seems like it would be the perfect summer scent. It fades very quickly on me. I think this will make a gorgeous oil burner scent.

This started as a sweet teacake in the bottle, but it turned fruity, in a juicy-citrus sort of way. It smelled like a fruit that I wouldn't actually eat in real life, but at the same time, I kinda wanted to gnaw my hand off. And now, it's settling into something more floral, but sweetly floral, really quite nice. :P

Very sweet fruit in the bottle.

Once applied to my skin, and once dry, the hibiscus really comes out. There's also guava and grapefruit, and possibly some cherry blossom. And....is that sage? There's some kind of unexpected herb here that is VERY faint. I only get a whiff occasionally, and only if I really concentrate on picking it out.

Anyway, I'm pleased to say that Cheshire Moon is just light and fun. It's a definite keeper. I am kind of surprising myself. I never thought I was all that into fruits and flowers. It turns out, I just have to find the RIGHT fruits and (especially) flowers.

I was worried about this one after reading some of the will call reviews, but I absolutely LOVE it! KEEPER FOR SURE!.

I get cream, cake, floral with a touch of citrus. Very nice AND I love the artwork.

It goes on very vanilla-y but that immediately disappears and I get a sort of watery fruit scent. I think it's the cherry blossom creating this effect - it's toning down all the other notes with it's airy quality. I think I smell guava, but I'm not really sure. It's sort of vaguely tropical.

This reminds me of Dragon Moon - it has a very Asian feel to it in the drydown. Sort of floral, sort of fruity, sort of airy? It's just kind of a vague scent on me all together - I am not really getting a strong impression one way or the other on this one.

In the bottle it's very cake scented with a drizzle of fruityness. This got me worried for I cannot wear cake scented things.

Wet in my skin the cake scent takes a back seat to something more plant like kind of green. I'm thinking it's the lemongrass because of the sharpness and it's not grapefruit sharp. After a while the all blend very nicely into a nice like fruit scent that seems perfect for hot days where you don't want to wear something too heavy.

It's a very nice blend and I'll keep it and wear it.

CHESHIRE MOON

In Bottle: Creamy fruit

On Skin: Based on the title, I wanted 50 bottles… I am a huge Alice fan… and especially the Cheshire Cat… This is probably one of my favorite fruit blends ever. It is so creamy!!! And the fruits are perfectly blended into a delicious smoothie! The grapefruit is tart with the lemongrass, but the guava and banyan fruit sweeten it up right away. The cherry blossom and hibiscus offer another sweet combo that help keep the scent from being a fruit overload. The lunar herbs are soft and sweet, nothing medicinal about them at all. I swear I smell cream in here, but it isn’t listed as a note. It’s that soothing velvety cream from Chaste Moon and Milk Moon. This is absolutely beautiful. I usually am not too excited about fruit blends, but the creamy aspect here makes me fall in love. I will be wearing this scent plenty… yum! Moderate throw and short to average wearlength.

Cheshire Moon

In the Bottle:

fruity sweetness that definitely smells pink...this reminds me a little of Pink Moon 2007; maybe a they're cousins.

On my Skin, Wet:

ummm - cheap vanilla candle.

This has an unmistakably wax tone to it...it's really not pleasant at all.

just cheap drug store candle that smells like plastic-y vanilla. ick.

On my Skin, Dry:

the wax calms down some but never really disappears completely.

some of the sugary fruits come out now - they still seem very pink to me, but trapped in a thin layer of wax still.

3+ hours:

less wax - more sugar and fruits.

it's not what I was expecting from this moon; but it's not a complete loss.

Verdict:

I'll keep my bottle, but this is definitely not worth another bottle any time soon (maybe if it ages well - but if the wax lingers then it may eventually it will be gifted to someone)

5 of 10 Ranking!

My fiance bought this for me and after all of the reviews saying how foody it was, I thought it would be a disaster! However, it may just be my new favorite!

In the bottle and on it smells about the same- slightly more citrus-y in the bottle than on my skin. On my skin the creaminess comes out a little more as well, along with the aroma that someone else described as "tropical." I would liken the creaminess to whatever is in Snow White that gives it a creamy scent-- I definitely would not describe this as "foody." I don't smell anything remotely herbal. After a few hours, the scent has mostly faded, but I can still pick out a few floral notes.

Edited by sariasister

In the bottle: Buttery (?!?), sweet fruity-citrus floral. Lemongrass, grapefruit. The buttery/cakey note totally reminds me of Vampire Tears.

Wet: Much plantier and sharper. Very fresh and green. A little floral. Butter gone, as is most of the sweetness.

Dry: Lightly citrusy, planty-herbal floral; the cherry blossom has asserted itself but is not overwhelming. Very LUNAR...reminds me of several other lunar blends. There is definitely a culinary herb in here - could be sage as someone suggested.

Summary: Cherry blossom over lunar herbs and exotic fruits. Airy, delicate, and feminine. Low throw and lasting power.

I'm not really a fan of cherry blossom which is the overwhelming drydown note on me, but I like the lunar/herbal notes alot. There is a stage where some citrus and fruit remain and that stage is very nice. I'll hang onto my imp for now.

ETA: Retested, and I like the other notes enough and cherry blossom has grown on me. Getting a bottle of this!

Edited by fairnymph

This is like a creamy fruit and floral smoothie. It almost reminds me of one of those orange creamsicles, only with guava and grapefruit and lemon instead. The lemongrass doesn't even come close to dominating the blend as it is sometimes wont to do, and the hibiscus and cherry blossom add a nice springy touch to this.

This is one of my favorite Alice-related blends of all time, and it is also among my favorite grapefruit blends from BPAL. It is so light, energetic, refreshing, and playful. I think I need more than one of these because it makes me want to roll around in it.

It has an average throw and wear-length on me, and it smells like the colors pink and orange to me. =)

this is quite fruity, but with a sweetness that's very creamy. If i had to describe it i'd say it was a bowl full of exotic fruit with a dollop of cream. eaten in Hawaii :P

straight sniff from bottle is creamy fruit...

once applied this there is a whole lotta citrus and other fruits swirling about...yummy :P

after awhile the creaminess comes back and the cherry blossom steps up...

this is a very pretty blend that i will reach for time and time again...

Initial reaction sniffing from the bottle: Gak. Lots of cream, this is probably going to do Bad Things on my skin.

I'm sooooo glad I tested it on my skin. The cream fades completely and I end up with this lovely combination of fruit (citrus!), herbs, and something that makes the combination smell a little cool. And sweetness.

For me, this is a summer blend, but I'm happy to smell like it today (decanting bottles).

Not only is this a keeper for me, this was an 'order more' because I can easily see reaching for it again and again.

For me, this one falls into the same category as Xanthe and is a distant relative of Forbidden Fruit. A much lighter, sweeter relative.

Thank you, Sheyona for the decant. In bottle: Mmmm…. I’m not a big foody fan, but this smells amazing. I think the guava and grapefruit are part of it, but odds on it’s the banyan too, though I’ve never smelled banyan before. This is so rich and creamny and sharp all at once that it simply stunned me. It reminds me a little of Monsterbait; Bigger Critters, which I also loved contrary to my usual tastses, but this is even more pleasantly complex. Wet: Definitely very like Bigger Critters. I don’t normally like foods or florals much, but now I’m sorry I missed this one. It’s so intense and sweet and comforting all at once. I’ll be looking for this one on the boards, I think. Dry: fades faster than I like, but stays fairly proportional.

No troub gwyd. I also think you liked this more than me.

In the bottle:

Caramel, vanilla caramel, with a small bit of guava. this smell is far to caramely for my nose at this state which makes me less likely to want to wear it.

On my skin:

Vanilla cake and fruit, exotic fruit. Not unpleaseant but not my style. Reminds me of the fruity lotions that get offered for sampling at bath and body works.

After an hour:

it's sugar cookies.

in conclusion it's not bad but i might pass it on to someone else. I'm not likely to be wearing it.

In the bottle: I definetly smell the guava and the banyan fruit. It smells slightly sweet in a fruity way. Where are you lemongrass?

On the skin: It still smells relatively the same, I still cant detect the lemongrass but the banyan fruit comes forward more.

I had real high hopes for this because the Cheshire moon has a special place in my childhood and I'm sooo glad that I love this scent as much as I do. The only thing that sadens me about this scent is the fact that it seems to go away in a few hours, something I wouldnt mind so much if this wasnt a LE. And on top of it all the picture on the bottle is adorable and so perfect.

Rating: 5/5- Love it!!!

And when the Boyfriend smelt it he had a big smile on his face and said "you found a real winner for me." :P

This is lightly sweet and creamy on my skin. It actually feels like a skin scent in a way. The fruit is not as strong as I thought it would be--which I am happy about. I like fruity fragrances but I'm not quite in the mood for them yet...not until it gets more towards summer. I can barely smell the grapefruit and guava. None of the lemongrass is showing up.

I like that this is more floral than fruit. The florals are dainty rather than lush. That must be the cherry blossom that smells dainty to me. It's really lovely. ALthough this does smell creamy, it also has a transparent quality. It's not the thick creamy that leads to a powdery drydown. This is very pretty, and I am liking this a lot.

The label is fantastic to.

So the collective effect is a very food-y cake-like scent. But you can definitely pick out the cherry blossom and hibiscus - I think that is what gives it that sort of over all cake scent when combined with the guava. Cherry blossom tends to turn utterly sweet and solid to my nose, sort of like ylang ylang but with a different tone. Ocassionally you'll get a whiff of the pink grapefruit and a very small amount of lemongrass if you concentrate on the notes. This is a very complex scent that I'm actually extremely pleased with. I think this will be a classic, just like Beaver Moon or Buck Moon (and I suspect Sugar Moon is going to be a hit too), and ultimately will be in high demand (my personal guess) in time. My review is kind of late (and oh my god, I love you BPAL for how fast the turn around time has become) since I received it awhile ago.

I was actually really frightened that the vague "blossoms" listed there would utterly ruin the scent, but it hasn't.