Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
hkhm

Cheshire Moon

A lunatic's blend of lunar herbs and blossoms, with lemongrass, guava, pink grapefruit, banyan fruit, hibiscus, and cherry blossom.

Initially quite foody, cake-y floral. I like it but I'm not wild about it.

And then, something absolutely magical happens. It turns into the most gorgeous floral with just a hint of fruitiness. I tested this earlier in the day and a few hours later started thinking something smells amazing but I had tested something else too so wasn't sure... I've now tested it again, and sure enough it's this!

It has a fairly good throw on me and seemed to last several hours even though I didn't put on very much.

I'm also in love with the description and the label. :P

This is a real winner and I'm considering trying to hunt down another bottle!

ETA: Lab description. Edited by etienne

In the bottle:

Eh? Creamy vanilla? This almost smells like Sugar Cookie but not as spicy. Mmmmm.

Wet on skin:

woah. Cookies are gone. This grinning mouth slouched by and ate them. But it brought some fruit in exchange -- guava and banyan fruit. Very sweet still.

Dry on skin:

Still creamy. Guava and banyan fruit are still hanging around, grinning. A hint of cherry blossom. Can't smell the hibiscus at all (and that's usually tart and sharp to me.) Not very much lemon coming in either. Maybe a hint of herbal bottom but I can't tell what.

Very very nice. Glad I ordered two extra bottles.

Very hard to pinpoint a scent here...but I get a fruity floral mix..with the fruits coming out as the more dominant notes as the minutes tick by. :P Sweet, tangy, with a touch of floral notes. Awesome blend!

Edited by pinkstardust420

In the bottle, it's a nice fruity scent with something definitely cakey/buttery going on, but on my skin, the cake note disappears.

It's got the BPAL lunar herbal florals for sure, and I am strongly reminded of Singing Moon. The Cheshire Moon has more fruit, but it's very tastefully done fruit. I can smell the guava, even though my only reference for this is Ocean Spray Mauna Lai "juice." (Which, I have to point out, is the best pink fruity drink in the entire universe and I was Obsessed with it when I was younger, and now I want to buy some and make mixed drinks with it to see how it rocks my tastebuds as an adult.)

The citrus/grapefruit note is very subtle and more of a balancing note for the sweet guava and complimentary to the lunar herbs and florals.

Overall, Cheshire Moon is finely tuned and perfectly balanced. It has a subtlety to it that I did not expect based on the note list. It's a cheerful fruity floral with the signature BPAL lunar essences to add extra style and complexity.

Beautiful!

4.6 out of 5

Definitely a strange kitty! What a morpher!

At the beginning, it is a lemon buttercream frosting. Which smells absolutely yummy, but I don't want to smell like frosting all day. As it dries, both the lemon and frosting aspect disappear, and warm florals pop out. They remain in my mind, forever link to frosting, so they smell like edible flowers.

Very tasty.

Cheshire Moon

In the imp: a soft scent of cake, fruit and flowers. Slightly creamy.

Wet on skin: now it smells much more floral…there’s a strong note that’s almost like bubble bath?

Dry on skin: oh, this is lovely! This smells like summer! I can smell cherry blossom, some guava (though not as sweet as Xanthe), and a note very similar to fig leaf, like the fig in Uruk. I think I also smell hibiscus, and for some reason I also smell bamboo…there’s something very lunar indeed, like Gibbous Moon or Blue Moon, to this, along with lots of bright and fresh and youthful fruits and flowers. This makes me happy and brings to mind summer holidays, it’s a really multicoloured scent (that’s the best way I can describe it!)

After a while: the fig leaf-like note, I’m guessing the banyan, is really strong now! As is the cherry blossom, which is gorgeous in here, a soft sweet pink floral. This reminds me of the good bits of Tanuki without the notes that went bad on me, as well as a hint of soft lunar flowers and plants which cast a calming silvery glow over this colourful, zany scent.

Over time I smell more of the guava, and the scent changes from green-pink to a purer pink, with hints of bamboo-like lunar notes and fig leaf. It sweetens very nicely now, the greenness isn’t too prominent and the scent is now really soft and pretty. The drydown is oddly woodsy (in a good way) and is actually like moonflower and bamboo with cherry blossom and exotic jungle greenery. This one is quite the morpher and for a scent that’s so light in feel, lasts for ages! It still smells lovely the next morning. Every time I sniff this, I love it more.

Verdict: this has grown to become one of my favourite moon scents! It starts off smelling strongly green but also fruity and floral and sweet, it smells lively and youthful thanks to the grapefruit and guava, but not too sugary-there’s a background of fresh, bright and cool notes, I think they are lunar herbs, as they remind me of the base of the likes of Blue Moon etc, they seem to ground the scent. Then the cherry blossom note comes out and really shows off. This note, in the right scent, can be so pretty, as it is in here. The gentle pinkness of the cherry blossom and guava with that silver-blue background of moon-themed notes is wonderful, and it’s such a cheery, carefree scent. I will be wearing this so much once the weather warms up. This scent makes me grin like a Cheshire cat-and I think I may prefer this to the Cheshire Cat scent! I’m so glad I have a bottle, with another on order!

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? Yes! This is one of my favourite ‘lunar herbs’ scents!

If you like this, try: Cheshire Cat, Schrodinger’s Cat, Blue Moon, Gibbous Moon, Uruk, Xanthe, Lantern Ghost of Oiwa, Tanuki

In the bottle Cheshire Moon smells very much like sweet citress, nothing in particular- maybe just a mix of sweet clemintines, blood oranges, and all of the sweetest most tasty goodies.

Once I put it on, I can smell a sweet and creamy scent in addition to the fruit. After a while all I can smell is a pleasant creamy sweetness, like a cream cake; however, my fiance swears it smells like a sweet ripe orange.

This one lasted steadily all day, and remained delicious without becoming sickly sweet. I was very pleased with it!

I just got my decant of this tonight--yum! I don't like foody blends but while this is very much lemon-frosted cake in the imp, when it's on my skin it's pale, soft, sugared lemon. Very nice and not overwhelming. If anything, it fades a little too fast. Will absolutely use the imp, it's a cheerful, playful scent, great for the beginning of spring!

I also got the empty bottle from my decant circle--the artwork is wonderful!

In the bottle: Creamy fruits.

Wet: Heavy on the guava and the grapefruit. It's very crisp and clear.

Drydown: The longer this sits on my skin the more the floral notes come out. The florals come forward and ground the fruit, while the fruits keep this from becoming too floral. It's a relatively non-foody fruit scent, IMO. It 'feels' very cool and it's appropriate for the coming spring season. I like this a lot.

*edited to fix spelling

Edited by Rovylern

This is so much more wonderful than I was expecting. I love when that happens!

In the bottle: cake, with some fruity tropical fruit dancing around.

Wet: the cake -whoosh!-gone, and it's all bright guava, and citrus, with some creamy vanilla in the background.

Dry: Gorgeous combination of tropical florals and vanilla. Kind of reminiscent of Antique Lace only lighter and fruitier. Hawaiian lace, perhaps.

Love it!!

First Impressions: Warm, light orange in color, inviting, soft, fuzzy, citrusey. This is a lovely, shy scent that I find unbelievably hard to describe!

There is no doubt that this has a citrus backdrop, but the top notes are baffling me. I can smell a bit of the cherry blossom and hibiscus, but there is something else there; slightly earthen, brown and comforting. It must one of the "lunar herbs" whatever they may be. Very enticing, somewhat of a comfort scent. This is hard to classify; not quite a citrus blend, but not quite a floral or herbal either. Interesting!

A very nice scent, my hubbie has already staked his claim on this bottle after I review it! My only complaint is, Cheshire Moon is soft and does not have much throw.

This one took a little bit of wear before I could decide if I really liked it or not, but I think it's a keeper. :P

In the bottle: Oh, wow... this is cakey!!

Wet: None of the cakey goodness from the bottle... in fact, the lunar herbs and florals are what come to the forefront. I smell something suspicously mint-like, along with the hibiscus and cherry blossom. Luckily for me, this stage quiets down very quickly and the citrus starts to peek out from behind the blossoms. It's very pretty, if a little sharp.

Dry: Ahhhh. Here's that pretty creaminess that I get from the bottle. I wonder if it's the guava or the banyan fruit (or both) that gives it that impression? In any case, it's lovely. That subtle creaminess balances nicely with the high-pitched floral and the tangy citrus, making the blend both subtle and interesting. While I can see the resemblance to other fruity-floral blends like Tanuki or Fire Pig, this scent actually succeeds in not being cloying on my skin. I can see this in heavy rotation as the warmer weather approaches (especially in my scent locket).

This is a very perky scent, and I am happy that I managed to get a bottle.

Bottle: Grapefruit

Wet: Creamy grapefruit and sugar

Drydown: This went away pretty quickly on me, it went from creamy grapefruit and sugar to just sugar and then nothing. But I love the wet stage a lot!

3.0 outta 5

I was so sure that I would like this...I wanted to love it! I mean...I've been obsessed with Alice ever since I was a kid. In the bottle, it was all sugar-guava, very, very sweet and fruity (though not as candy smelling as Earth Rat is to me).

On my skin, the sweetness/guava is not overwhelming, but it also doesn't do anything else. The lemongrass makes a bid to come out, but only ends up smelling slightly waxy. Same with the grapefruit. The floral/herbal notes are barely there against that sweetness. All in all, it doesn't fade down badly, it just goes dull. Nothing exciting on me, just a sugary-fruit that is very soft and faint.

I almost cried. It has gone on to a more loving home, but lord. It's hard to give up such a lovely bottle (I console myself with Chrysanthemum Moon's bottle art and hopes of another Alice themed LE someday...Even though the Cat was always my favorite character. Maybe Bill the Lizard will show up..."there goes Bill...")

Drat! It still makes me sad!

I smell lightly of Juicy Fruit gum! This is not a bad thing. It's a very soft fruit scent.

I love the artwork for this blend, and I'm so glad that I got a t-shirt and a bottle of the oil. I was a bit worried about the lemongrass and grapefruit, because I have trouble pulling off citrus and especially lemony notes. Cheshire Moon is really wonderful on my skin though. This starts off smelling a bit cake-like, as though a piece of poundcake were drizzled in syrup and citrus juice. In the drydown, the cherry blossom comes through more, and I love the lab's cherry blossom note. It's sweet and creamy on my skin. The citrus lingers in the background, but it never takes over the blend, just adds a hint of zesty sharpness. It almost smells like vanilla and cherry blossom on my skin after a while, which is lovely. It's sweet, surprisingly foodie-smelling on my skin, and fruity. I really like it :P

Chesire Moon: Oh yum. This is so nice. To me it smells like guava paste and cream. Its so delish, has a bit of citrus thrown in for good measure, but by no means does it overpower the blend. Its truly lovely.

in the bottle: like some sort of lemon cream cheese cake. yeah! :P

wet on skin: now sweet tarts have been added to the cake. :D

dry down: the cream has faded a bit, leaving behind a lovely lemony cake/candy smell. sweet, but not cloying.

in all: *thrilled* i got a bottle in time, and equally thrilled the lemongrass didn't turn soapy on me, as often happens. this is wonderful- i'm sure to get lots of wear in the coming warm months, and would certainly wear this for goddess worshipping as well!

:D

It's totally wild that people are getting cake-y/cookie-y vanilla scents out of this. On me, it smells exactly like I wanted it to smell: an explosively fun combination of guava, lemon grass, grapefruit, and some fruit I can't place but which I think is banyan. Yummy, foodie, yes... but never cakey!

This is like my dream scent. So delicious. So wonderful.

So short lived. Siiiiigh. I get about an hour out of this and then poof, it's gone forever. Oh well, it's great while it lasts. Maybe I just need to start slathering. :P

Really glad I ordered this, and I think it was worth the backorder induced wait, even if it doesn't last on me.

cheshire moon

in the bottle: this is practically drinkable. a perfect blend of creamy, fruity, and floral.

wet: very creamy fruits, almost like a fruity soda pop.

drydown: the fruityness dies down, letting the florals emerge more. there's a definite hyacinth scent in this one, and maybe some oleander or perhaps orchid. there's the bite of the lemongrass sneaking in behind them. the lingering fruit smells seem almost dark to me, perhaps the fig leaf scent other's have been smelling.

final rating: this is one of the most gorgeous fruity blends i've ever smelled! i put this on, and four different people stopped me to ask me what i was wearing that smelled so good! i'm sooo glad i got a bottle of this one!

In the bottle, it is nice and cakey--sort of like a lemony/vanilla bundt cake with icing or something--like Love's Philosophy.

On me, a slightly more perfume-y quality emerges....

It is sort of meh on me...inoffensive, but nothing super special; that's okay though, because I really bought it for the adorable bottle, which I am going to use for....i don't know what, I just like it!

(I accidentally dumped half of it down the bathroom sink:( )

In vial: sweet and foody - like cheesecake with lemon and tropical fruit.

Wet on skin: sweet, mild, fruity-jasminey, with a whisper of lemon and tart grapefruit. Jasmine isn't listed, but I swear I can smell it, or something very similar!

Dry on skin: not nearly as nice as I hoped. Fruity jasmine. I can't make up my mind whether I like it or not. A drop of it on my T-shirt stays truer - foody lemon with a background of fruit and flowers. The lemon and grapefruit are beautiful, but the jasmine ruin it for me.

This may be my favorite Loon of all time. In the bottle it reminded me of Hungry Ghost Moon. On skin, it is completely different. Not as sweet as that one. It is a lovely fresh fruity creamy vanilla cake scent. I am desperately searching for a dessert that tastes like this smells. I love the grapefruit. It is present without being overpowering the way it is for me in Cheshire Cat. I usually amp lemongrass, but I'm not noticing it in this one. Love, Love, Love it! :P

Initially this is lemon cake batter on me but like the cat that is it's namesake it is quick to change and leave only it's smile hanging in the air. That smile is made up of a gorgeous soft fruity floral with just that hint of lunar mystery that so many of the lunacies have. It's sweet without being cloying or too young, citrusy without being too sharp and just enigmatic enough to leave you wanting more. This has quickly become a daytime spring favorite for me, I'm reaching for it when I want to smell like that crazy Cheshire cat grin-- Happy with a twist.

Cheshire Moon is the most delicious creamy fruity vanilla cake in the bottle. On my skin, I get that vanilla cake scent with a big whiff of pink grapefruit. The longer I wear it, the more I get the other notes. A hint of sweet tropical fruit from the guava. And a lingering whiff of soft blossoms, with the cherry blossom distinct among them.

I am a big fan of the fruity but I'm also picky. Xanthe, to which several people have compared Cheshire Moon, is waaaay too cloyingly sweet for me. This is soft and sweet in its fruitiness, with a very happy vibe. I've gone through a shocking amount of my bottle already and I'm pretty sure I'll be seeking out more.