Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Lady_Ell

Athens

A reformulation and modernization of a true Classical Greek perfume, myrrhine: voluptuous myrrh, golden honey, red wine, and sweet flowers.

The first time I smelled this, just out of the Imp's Ear, I was kind of overpowered by the mix of honey-floral-cherry tones, which just seemed sickly sweet. But I knew it would smell different on my skin, and it does.

2 hours later: It has dried into a mix of baby powder, cotton candy, and a really sweet flower smell - like honeysuckle. It's OK, but I'm not a huge baby powder fan and the combination just doesn't seem to be something that I feel matches with my personality. I feel like I don't smell like me in it.

5 hours later: I now smell like a mix of honey and honeysuckle. The baby powder smell is gone. But this is still too sweet for me, I think.

Wow the above review really, really illustrates what a difference noses and personal body chemistry can make. That said....

Initial Impression:

Not exactly sweet, it's really kind of tart and even a bit bitter. The wine and myrrh are what's most apparent in the vial.

After Wearing It:

When I first put this on, my first thought was that this smelled like a marinade. A good marinade, would be absolutely mouthwatering on lamb (I think it's the red wine, and the myrrh's smokiness), but not really something you'd want to smell like. I persisted though, since I give every scent a chance to develop before I make a judgment. After an hour or so, it stopped smelling like something you'd soak red meat in as the honey and the sweet flowers finally started to break through. Still the wine dominates the fragrance for at least another hour. As time goes on, the sweeter notes slowly but surely start to assert themselves. The end result is a lightly sweet, but tangy scent that's not at all candylike. Reminds me of sweet varieties of red wine. Very pleasing.

Final Thoughts:

I like the end result a lot, but I'm not sure I'd buy a bottle of this because it's definitely something I could only wear if I had time to kill before leaving the house. Very authentic though since I'm now totally craving Greek food. I'd kill for some good roast lamb right now, but since it's 2 am there's absolutely nothing I can do about it. :x

For further proof that chemistry is THE factor - the honey and wine notes were immediate on me, with the floral note never really emerging. Instead, I got an herbal mulled wine sort of scent - and it was very lovely, a bit to my surprise.

Feeling generous, I put just the tiniest bit of this on my chihuahua's tailbone, and she went nuts - in a good way, mind you - rolling around and doing the uncontrolled shaking leg thing. She also licked my ankle and looked dazed until I couldn't stand it any more and made her stop. Something in this gave us both a glassy-eyed, mellow sort of look, and a stranger probably would have thought we'd been drinking.

Old Athens to me is a fragrance one could wear when they want to smell fresh but not like they are going out. I use it as at home today perfume. The honey stands out the most with this one. Its a great smell for those who are into nature and natural fragrances. :P

A very generous person added a vial of this as an extra in a swap. My very first Venerable Cities scent!

As I was struggling to get the lid off (hands shaking, as always when I have a new BPAL scent :P ) I accidentally splashed a few tiny drops on myself.

I was completely stunned! The name "Old Athens" brought to mind something very resiny or rosy, but nothing like this. The scent was so lovely I just sat there sniffing my shirt where some of the oil had landed.

It was very sweet, yet in an uplifting, bright way.

The scent was familiar but I couldn't pinpoint what it was, until hours later I realized it smelled just like a certain candy I love. Old Athens smells the way the candy tastes. A yellow, pineapple and honey flavoured winegum candy. Ever so slightly tart.

However, I don't consider this a candy-scent in itself.

Old Athens stays somewhat unchangeable on my skin, or maybe the honey in it comes out more (or is it the wine?) with time. It's a very "thick" and rich scent, but I'm one of those people who consider that a bonus. :D

I don't smell the myrrh, but that's ok, since I suspect too much myrrh could bring the scent down from those cheerful yet sexy honey-mead heights.

Also, I'm not detecting the flowers, but that could change as soon as I'm able to put Snake Oil down and concentrate on Old Athens properly.

Although I'm strangely in love with the scent, my "testgroup" didn't really like it at all. But I'm used to that, they rarely like the same things I do. And many people don't understand that BPAL perfumes need a little time on skin to bloom, and not to be judged by how they smell from the vial.

Even if it turns out the kind of scent that other people might find offensive when worn, I imagine it would make a yummy room scent for those who like fruity honey scents.

-Milk

Initial Sniff: In the bottle, this smells like wine tempered with honey and a bit of spice. This embodies what I think of as Old Athens. I can totally visualize a beautiful Greek palace swarming with folks in togas... this is the smell wafting gently through the air. Very nice.

Wearing: As this dries, the wine and spice dissipate very quickly. I never get a strong floral from this either. What it smells like is fresh wildflower honey, warmed in the sun. Lush fans- this is B Never shower gel in long lasting oil form. And it does last - we're on hour 11 now.

Final Impressions: Fans of honey scents will adore this. Rich, golden, warm, and sweet.

First Impression: Heady and intoxication. It's honeyed wine straight away. This was the perfect choice to wear to the movie Troy today.

Second Imression: The myrrh is starting to peek out making the honey and wine mulled and spicy. I don't smell too much floral, but a faint sweetness in the background.

Final Analysis: I love this, it's delightful but lasts only minutes on my skin. It's even gone from my hair after only 3 hours. The scent locket is still quite potent though. This is an exquisite blend but I'm mouring the lack of staying power.

As soon as I applied this, the scent was overwhelming...when wet it was cloyingly sweet...dried down to very sweet...it gave me quite a headache...It's very strong and heavy, longlasting too..didn't like it at all...

As I was saying before two computers decided tonight was not the night for Tania to multitask with more than two programs ....

In the bottle: This wasn't all that remarkable honestly. I couldn't pick out anything in particular. It was nice my first sniff, but nothing to make me say 'Oh god, I have to have more of this!' or anything.

Wearing: Oh. My. God. I have to get more of this. This smells, on me, exactly like every -good- occult shop I've ever spent any time in. That mingling of delicious incense and books and herbs and yumminess that permeates them that puts me into a blissful state just smelling it. That's what Old Athens is like for me. I love it.

I don't know whether this is something I'd wear as an everyday scent. It might be a little too .. incensey for that. but it's perfect for Craftworking for me, as well as for a bedtime scent I think. I know I had some pretty detailed and interesting dreams after wearing it to bed lastnight. I might have to test it out, see what happenes if I wear it again.

First sniff: Bright honeyed flowers – Old Athens almost smells like mead.

Wearing: This is really beautiful, very sweet but not unpleasantly so, and definitely mead without spices. Very smooth and golden. I kept sniffing myself at work and smiling. Definitely a keeper.

I love this. It’s now one of the scents I find myself reaching for all the time (along with Voodoo and O). In the vial, all I can smell is grape Jolly Ranchers (:P) but once on my skin, it smells like honey, flowers, and myrrh. After an hour or two, the flowers start to dissipate, and all I’m left with is honey and myrrh, which I adore. This isn’t as in your face sexual as O, but it’s got sort of the same feeling to it.

FIRST SNIFF: chocolate covered cherries...

WEARING IT: the first thing i notice is the honey followed up by that cherry chocolate alcohol scent, i don't smell any flowers, but the whole concoction is backed up by the myrrh which really makes it nice for me. very sweet at first, but as it dries it becomes less so and a lot more appealing. the wine, honey and myrrh are what's left behind on the dry down followed by the faintest scent of sweet flowers.

VERDICT: the more i wear this, the more i love it. it's the perfect everyday scent and i've already gotten a compliment on it. it's become one of my favourites and a 5ml is on its way :P

Edited by any_old_actress

First sniff: Honey and myrrh, slightly medicinal.

On me: Yum, honey and flowers, and myrrh in the background adds spiciness. Don't notice the wine, but I love this. It's another one that really lives up to its name for me - it feels B.C., not modern. I think it's so cool that it's a recreation of an actual Ancient Greek perfume. (This also confirms my love of BPAL's honey note.)

Edited by isyche

I had to get this. I've got family from Athens and it's on the short list of places I desperately NEED to visit. I finally got my grubby little hands on it *happy snoopy dance*

In the bottle: Berry honey, or, more precisely, honeyed wine. That's what I smell. The honey's really strong, but there's a very almost overpowering wine that's fighting to be in front.

Wet: Oh... mah... gods.... This is lovely. It smells exactly what I envision an old temple would smell like. The myrrh incense mingling with offerings left by the devoted for the gods.

Dry: This mellowed down to a very nice honey on me. It's warm and embracing, and not powdery at all :P The flowers have started to come out more now, and I've got a lovely mingling of scents playing on my wrists. Unfortunately, it didn't have much staying power on me, as I put it on at around 8:30a and by 11a it's nearly gone (gotta stick my wrist up my nose to smell it :D).

I think this would be amazing in a scent locket, or for reapplications during the day. It made me feel like a Greek Goddess surrounded by offerings of her devoted. Or a priestess maintaining my Deity's temple. :D

In the bottle, to me, Old Athens is wine -- very overpowering, expensive wine. But even as I sniff it, it morphs into something sweeter and spicier to my nose.

So, I dabbed a little on, and WOW! It was strong, overpowering, thick red wine. No spice, no sweet, just heavy red wine. But after about five minutes, some of the sweetness of honey poked through and I decided to persevere.

Am I ever glad that I did! After about an hour, the wine retreated to the very back of the scent, and the sweetest scent of honey and spice took over. On me, Old Athens lasts about eight hours, and as the hours go by, the fragrance mellows even further until all that's left is the sweetest, softest honey note I've ever smelled in my life.

I'll definitely finish my imp of this, and put it on the list for future big bottle purchase.

Old Athens really blew me away. I ordered it because I wanted to try another oil with myrrh, I find I love that note. I was a little worried I wouldn't like it because other oils with red wine in them didn't work on me, they tend to go sour, but Old Athens is brilliant. I smelled the wine in the vial but as soon as it hit my skin, the honey took over, and I mean TOOK OVER. It's not a sickeningly sweet honey on me either, it's glorious. It rises up and envelops me like a warm hug. Then after about 15 minutes, the wine reasserts itself, the honey wrestles it down and a lovely gentle spiciness emerges (that must be the myrrh). After that, it just melts into my skin, a lovely blend with no note dominating. If there are any floral notes in here, I can't sniff them out! Oh, and the wine never smells red to me, it smells golden like mead or even retsina.

I had some Greek friends when I was in college and Old Athens reminds me of festive dinners at their houses. I can picture myself surrounded by loud, wonderful people, smelling retsina, baklava, grape leaves and something with exotic spices cooking in the kitchen. It makes me feel so warm and happy. Today I was wearing it and sat outside in the warm breeze at a cafe, it was heavenly smelling it swirling around me. Gee, can you tell I love this one?

Lasting power for me is pretty amazing, overnight until I took a shower, at least 18 hours. Gallon size, please.

First sniff: slightly floral and winey.

On skin: wham! First I really smell the red wine and the myrrh. After a few minutes, the wine and myrrh start to mellow away, leaving a glorious, slightly spicy honey behind. A bit like my beloved "be never too busy to be beautifull" lush showergel.

After a few hours: still the lovely warm, honey scent. I can´t stop sniffing myself!

Defenitely a keeper and up for a bottle!

Dark, rich, verdant green in the bottle, the first few minutes of this were what I imagine an olive orchard or a vinyard would smell like just before bursting into harvest. Cool, dark, winey earth and something distinctly green and rich smelling, like digging your hands in fresh tilled gardens. That scent fades as honey and myrrh become apparant in an almost chocolatey smoothness. This one is lasting on me in that final honey and myrrh stage but since it smells very similar to O on me at this point, I'll be adding this to the swap pile despite it being very very yummy.

Old Athens - first impression is sweet golden honey

On drydown the flowers blend with the honey, still sweet but not heavy. After a while the scent becomes a bit powdery and something in this reminds me a bit of Scarecrow - a fresh mown hay kind of smell. A few hours later the flowers fade a bit and the wine comes out. This is a breezy, warm sunny, scent and it is simply beautiful :P

Yeah, body chemistry is a funny thing...

I smell the red wine most strongly when I initially apply Old Athens. As it dries, the myrrh begins to emerge, but the red wine never really goes away. While I'm ecstatic to find another BPAL scent with a strong myrrh note (La Petite Mort is the other), I find the red wine makes this too dark and heavy for my tastes. In the end, I get very little of the florals or the honey, and ironically (because I'm not usually a huge fan of either), I wish that I could smell them more because they would have offset the red wine perfectly.

I hate it when my body chemistry screws up a good thing.

I'm brand new here and this is my first review ever :D So being half Greek I had this one at the top of my first order list and in a word- fabulous!!

In the bottle this smells like very sweet honey to me. When I first put it on it smells like I spilled red wine on myself- but in a good way like I was having a good time and got a little tipsy :D After several minutes the wine fades and I smell honey and sweet floral notes with something a little smoky too- I'm guessing that's the myrrh. It dries down into a very soft honey note with the florals far in the background. There is something very ancient and almost haunting about this one. It makes me think of people worshipping in ancient temples. Maybe that's just my ethnic pride coming through (opa!) but regardless I just LOVE this one!! Definately on the top of my big bottle list :P

In bottle: Honey! Glorious golden honey, sweetened by wine and surrounded by bright flowers.

On me: Here comes the myrrh, drawn out and magnified by my skin. It's a darkened honey now, amber rather than golden. But it's still sweet, although there's an almost soap-like quality to it. I am thinking of honey scented soap when I smell this. However, this soapiness fades after a time and the remaining scent has a definitely classic and timeless quality to it. Spicy honey - works quite well!

I got this one on a whim from a forumite, and am I glad I did!

Out of the vial, it is VERY sweet and rich, and at first I wasn't sure I'd like it.

I tried it on the back of my hand, and it dried down very quickly to a very rich, potent honey scent.

It's very simliar to O, but with the red wine and myrrh to deepen and darken it. As O is my all-time favorite, I love this, too. I can see myself reaching for it on those days I feel just a little bit more evil. :P

It's got lasting power, too! I put it on my hand at around 7pm last night, and here it is 10am the next day, and I can still smell it if I put my nose close to the skin. Mmm, dark honey....

athens made my mouth water on first sniff. i smelled grape juice (the wine, i expect!) and honey- very sweet and almost drinakable!

on my skin the myrrh comes out and the grape notes go into hiding. the florals come out, too, and for a little while (45 min or so) its a bit floral for my taste, even with the honey and myrrh. luckily the florals fade a bit, and i'm left with a sweet, resiny, homey kind of scent. interestingly, the grape notes will peek through every now and then, but if i actually sniff for them, they're gone! its like they are following me, and i can see them out of the corner of my eye, but when i turn around- nothing.

athens has decent staying power on me, its faint but detectable 6 hours after application.

i really like this one!!

i loved this. it immediately brought to mind the long-forgotten smell of some incense that my grandmother used to have. i guess that's the myrrh. i could also faintly smell red wine in the background, but really, the myrrh was what stood out above all else. sweet and calming, but also mysterious.