Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
la_biscuit

Satyr

SATYR

from Love Potions

Unleash the bawdy, unrestrained passion of the satyr! A ferociously masculine scent: sexual, vigorous, and truly wild.

This is my boyfriend's favorite scent on himself, and I love it on him too... This is what he has to say about it:

The Gingerbread Man, playing in the mud; with sprinkles on top.

:P

Definitely masculine in my nose; Snake Oil goes ultra-sexual with civet or one of the musks, perhaps.

Even though I usually have issues with civet and the musks, this didn't get out of control on my skin. It didn't do much for me on my own wrist, but if I got a sniff on a fella, I'd not only expect him to try and take me home at the end of the evening, I'd be raring to go.

Primal and very definitely sexual, but not in an overwhelming way. More of a "sex-oozes-from-his-pores" thing; think Brad Pitt in Legends of the Fall.

This one is spicy and strong at first smell. I dabbed some on and at once I smelled civet, which I seem to havea love/hate relationship with. It is strong and almost offputting, and my first thoghts are ick, But as Satyr dried down, the civet mellowed out and I do believe I detected cloves, which I love. I like it enough to hold on to the imp, not sure if I would buy more of it, but I would love to test this out on a man.

Edited by Sistinas

First Impression: Sexy man musk.

Second Impression: I like on me, would lust after a man smelling like this.

Final Analysis: The dry down is nice, I smell the cloves much more after the deep civet smell starts to wane. Raw and very sexual.

Preconceived notions:

Sounds like a good scent for a Green Man or King Stag type of God. Probably not for me.

Actual testing:

I got this from a friend, along with two other imps she didn't like.

In the vial: intriguing bitter, warm, vanilla, musky scent. It's very harsh and smooth at the same time. I really want to smell more, maybe it will be nice on me.

On me: there was a definite difference between what I smelled on my wrist, and what was wafting around me.

On the wrist: the bitter note immediately takes over and becomes what I can only describe as sweaty, dirty, hairy pee. This lasts for *hours*. Drat. I was really hoping I could do civet.

Wafting: this is lovely. It's a warm, deep, intense, smoky vanilla. I miss the original bitter note from the bottle, though.

Complete dry down, hours later: Finally, the wrist scent matches the wafting scent, though it is even more what I'd call "light and sweet". Again, I really miss that initial bitterness in the vial.

Final Opinion: If I didn't have a compulsive habit to sniff my wrist while wearing perfume, I'd probably wear this, as the wafting scent is very nice. However, I do keep smelling my wrists. I don't like the smell there, and it gives me a headache. So, my preconceived notion was probably right: this does seem to be good for a wild, animalistic God, but it's not something I want to wear. I probably won't buy more, but I'll keep this around for ritual purposes. I also probably won't buy any more scents with civet, though I'll try any that are sent to me as an extra with an open mind.

I've seen a lot of recipes for Satyr oil over the years and most of them were too heavy on the pine/juniper end to smell good to me. This however was quite different - very sharp and a little musky. It didn't dry down on me into any discernible scent and so I wound up using the rest in a Pan ritual, with very good results. :P The next day it left a great subtle scent in the room, which I really loved - alas, my body chemistry just nixes it out.

Bought an imp of Satyr to try on my husband. We knew this one was a swapper almost immediately. It smelled very interesting in the bottle but when he put it on it smelled like a dirty truck stop bathroom! Luckily there are lots more scents to try ;-)

Edited by Longstofly

Ho hum. I handed this over to my SO when they arrived and he splashed it on (trying unsuccessfully to look disinterested in the imps). He said, "It smells like I've been rolling around with goats!" and he has a point. It's smooth and dirty at the same time, and I'm not wild on sweaty scents (O! :P ). On the other hand, it is rather manly, in a wild, rugged animal way. (That'll be the civet then). It smells good on him, and I think it would be even better if he'd leave it on instead of getting rid of it before bed. I'll dab him up with it and see how it mellows with the hint of vanilla I'm getting in the air.

does this have ambergris in it? i can't really pinpoint any of the individual notes, but i think there's civet and cinnamon or nutmeg. if there is civet, though, it's very light, as it's usually pretty amplified on my skin. i'll give this one to my boy and tell him if it doesn't work, to stay away from the civet smells. :D it doesn't smell bad on me at all right now, but i'm sure as it dries, it'll get worse. that's how civet always makes his mark. :P

Origin:

Lagniappe from the Lab. :D

First sniff:

I have no clue what kind of musk this is (I'm not very knowledgeable about animalistic notes) but I like this in spite of how strongly musky it is. This is smooth musky, not sharp the way Haunted and Hunter Moon were...it almost smells warm, like burying your nose in a fur rug. I'm sure that sounds stupid, but it's the best way I can think of to explain Satyr's scent. :D

Wet on skin:

Satyr smells exactly the same when it's wet as it does in the bottle. It's a warm, sexual musk...I'm thinking there may be civet in this one because now that it's starting to dry it's getting that "cat pee" smell (I'm sorry, but there's just no other way to describe what civet does on my skin) that civet and my body chemistry love to create. :P

Dry down:

If there's not civet in this, then there's another kind of musk that I dont know about that reacts the same way on my skin because, now that Satyr is dry, I'm getting Eau de Cat Pee and nothing else. I think that reaction's pretty much killed this scent for me, so I'm not even going to test it on the boy. :D

The bottom line:

Sadly, my body chemistry has turned Satyr into Eau de Cat Pee. I'm sure this could be gorgeous on someone else with less finicky body chemistry, so, in that spirit, it's going up for swaps. :D

First on, I smelled a deep herb, like a very dark mint of some sort. I didn't smell it in the bottle, and it disappeared quickly, but was nice while it lasted!

It dried very quickly into a rich, deep spice: clove, maybe some nutmeg. It's like the bestest-ever version of Old Spice! (That's a good thing.) I guess civet works well on my skin, because I'm getting nothing overly animalistic. It is masculine and brooding and maybe a bit severe, but not so much that I wouldn't wear it. It makes me want to recline in a leather chair and read Chaucer while wearing a completely unironic pince-nez.

Satyr: Buy me! Buy me! Buy me!

Okay, stop bouncing around, already. I like this one, and plan to get more.

The initial few minutes are ideal if you want to smell like a goat (albeit a recently washed goat, from good stock and in excellent health). Fresh, plant-based indoles and scatoles, from something with really fleshy flowers on it.

Satyr settles down into a pollen-y, masculine blend with green and sweet notes (say, cypress, vanilla, maybe clover hay). Very much a sex-coming-out-the-pores scent, with the sort of cheerful, unfocussed lechery normally associated with French-Canadians.

Initially, I like Satyr on me. It's very different from any of the other masculine BPAL scents. There's a lovely layer of sweet, and beneath it an almost overpowering animal musk. For a moment, I thought I might be in the zoo... as one of the exhibits. Oddly appealing in a playful yet ferocious sort of way.

After dry down it loses that musky scent however, and I'm left with smoky cloves and a little vanilla. While I love Snake Oil, there's something about this that's off-putting.

Which isn't to say it's a bad sent. It's a very rugged, hairy chested, I'm-so-viril-I-could-knock-up-a-rock sort of scent. And there's a certain appeal to that. Where Antony is the rugged but pretty clean-shaven hero, Satyr is the wild mountain man, ready to show you a good time in the barn... and against the tree... and over the rock... and under the bridge.... Wearing it you can really feel that.

In all, it's too much testosterone for me. It's not my kind of manly scent. But I encourage ladies to try it on their men, and men to try it on their women. Just keep protection handy.

Satyr Haiku,

Ah to be a Faun!

Knowing not but playing with

His flute in the bush.

in the imp: cloves, a hint of pine, and civet ,,,ahh must be my day for civet

on: was there anything in this besides civet? it is strong covet if i put my nose up to it my eyes water, but w/ my hands down on the keyboard i get a bit of the other notes w/ a drizzle of civet...hmmm

Spice, musk, civet...

I must give this one props for being insanely evocative of a satyr! And civet *does* smell like sex...

it just makes me feel uncomfortable though :P it's THAT evocative...

Imp: Say...that's mighty strong. Resisting the urge to slather will be very, very easy.

Wet: Hrm. There's something sweet and musky, and something that smells like a particular type of wet sand - you know the kind they use in playgrounds? It's not bad, just...it brings me back to the early 70's.

Drydown: Um, the same...just not as wet.

Overall: Woo, nothing I'll be wearing out of the house, that's for sure! I suspect I'll use this strictly for ritual work - it's just too much otherwise.

Oro

Wow... this reminds me of Lush's Middle Earth Turns to Rock soap (METTR). It's musky and dark and yes, very masculine and sexy.

I tried it on me first but definitely plan to pass it on to my husband.

There is definitely something earthy, mossy about this scent. It smells humid, like steam, like the inside of my gecko's tank when fresh loam was put into it... mixed with something slightly sweet.

It is the smell of dirt and spice. Definitely sexual, and definitely something I want to smell on a guy.

Satyr

As soon as I put this on, it turned into a mighty fanfare heralding the arrival of a goat. A goat? More like King of the Goats. Eau de Goat, this is. Which is all very nice if you like goats, and I do, but I prefer them curried and on a plate rather than perfuming my arm, I have learned. Still, on the right person, I'm sure Satyr is big fun.

As I am apparently not the right person, I went and washed my arm off after a couple of hours. The soap I used was Lush's Rock Star. In hindsight, that may have been a mistake. Now my arm smells like someone took a goat, dyed him pink, and shaved him like a poodle. Boy, is my nose confused now.

I think I'll hold onto this scent for ritual use. (I typoed that at first as "rutual use," which is a good a phrase as any, really.)

First sniff: So incredibly not what I was expecting. Knowing Satyr was once lumped in with Czernobog and Puck as a “penis-oriented” scent, I figured it would be black musk and civet and would smell like animals in rut. What I’m getting is… cinnamon and incense, and maybe a little bit of grape?

Wearing: It’s a very odd soft spice scent. I say “very odd” only because it’s SO not what I was expecting… for the most part it smells like a spice-based herbal tea. And once it dries a little, creeping in around it… gosh, what could that be, a thick black funk that I seem to taste as I smell… ah yes, my old nemesis, we meet again. Oh well. It surprised me for a good ten minutes, at least. :P

To me, Satyr smells like a deep red musk, sour resins, and cinnamon. A very dark and wild sort of musk that I find really sexy and aggressive smelling.

My older bottles had less of that cinnamon note in it than my more recent bottles/imps, but I still like this scent. It's one of my favorites from bpal, though I can see it being a bit too much for a lot of people. It's definitely on the heavier, headshoppy side of things, which I normally dislike, but something about Satyr just smells really sexy to me. On a random note, it's similar in feel to Sin.

Edited by Little Bird

In Bottle/Wet: Red musk and deep urine notes.

On Skin, etc.: Wow, this really is feral. As it dried it got more...ripe...in an unwashed unisex bathroom sort of way. So *that's* civet, huh? Something in this blend made both of my cats turned and RUN AWAY when they caught a whiff--making it the first BPAL they've actually fled from.

Spice, moss and sweetness would have been great...but it was more on the goat side of things instead. Way, way on the goat side. This is a very powerfully animalistic fragrance and would be a good sex blend for someone with the right chemistry. Just not me!

oh my :D

when i opened this imp it nearly blew me away......i was like, what in God's name does this remind me of??? I kept sniffing and sniffing w/out even applying any and then it dawned on me....my supervisor's bad breath :P

oh NO!! it has to be the civet note in it that totally turns me & my stomache off....

*note to self*: civet scents are not my cup of tea *gag*

At first sniff this had a bitter, musky, leathery smell to me. It is a dark brown color in the vial. Something smelled similar to cat pee or road kill… It was very hard to distinguish.

I put a dab on my fiancé’s skin and waited. Wow. Deep, musky and a bit of spice with underlying sweetness. One sniff of this on him makes me want to hump him. Makes a prude like myself think very bad thoughts. Hee-hee… :P

This blend enhances the body’s natural odor in a good way, it makes the wearer exude sexiness. It must enhance or imitate the person’s pheromones that make them extremely desirable. It screams "Do me now!" Um, yeah. :D

One thing about Satyr is that too much is a not a good thing. Satyr is very potent, so apply lightly. Bathing in it will have you wondering if the cat peed on your clothes instead of in the litter box. Other than that, Satyr is very erotic and alluring.

*sigh* Wet, this screams with musk. It's a dark, thick, sweaty scent. If I smell from my wrist (and I can't smell it unless I really shove my nose up to my wrist, which makes me think that through my allergies, I put too much on) and sniff deep, I get an acrid, nasty 'cat pee' smell from the civet.

Edit: It's drying down and oozing sex. I can't keep from smelling my wrist. This has a salty brine on top of a blend of spices and musks. It does smell like goat, though, which is making me think twice about wearing it to the county fair next week.

Another Edit: It turned sweet. It still has the sweaty, feral scent, but it's sweeter; less bitter and acrid.

Another another edit: I layered it over Scherezade, which had all but disappeared (I couldn't smell it, at least). That might have something to do with the sweetness.

Edited by termite_of_justice

In the Bottle or Imp:

I really get a lot of ginger, pine, and musk coming straight out of the imp.

Wet, on Skin:

There's a pungent note, I've smelt it before in Czernobog, so this must also have a civet bouquet. Not entirely pleasant, but, yes, it does conjure an image of a virile goat-man. It has a touch of medicinal pine.

Drying/Drydown:

Civet, vanilla. The blend is sweetening now, while still maintaining the pine.

Over Time/Longterm:

Vanilla, musky civet.

Final Verdict?

Not my thing. Too strong, but it could be used in the right mood.