Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
tindome

Jezirat Al Tennyn

JEZIRAT AL TENNYN --

The Dragon’s Isle: smoke and fire, earth and wind. The rage of the elements blasting over a primordial paradise.

The description didn't give me much to go on so bear with me.

Imp: When I first smelled this I thought the description was dead on. It smells like some swampy primitive place and I am getting an earthy smell as well as a bit of smoke.

Wet: Wow. to me this smells very complex and kinda reminscent of two monsters from the salon. it smells like the illustrations you see of dinosaurs roaming through overgrowth, mud, with giant plants everywhere and a volcano smoldering in the distance.

Dry: I really like this. It dried down less wet earth smelling and more wearable,. When it was wet it was as if some feral creatures were lurking beyond the foliage and now the creatures have left leaving behind a trace of thier scent. Perhaps my nose is tricking me but every now and then something almost minty catches my attention and then is gone. I bet this would smell great on a guy.

While I might not get a big bottle I will keep the imp if only because it smells so different.

I'm also hung up on textbook images of dinosaurs when I read the description of this...I am fascinated by the concept behind this scent...

It strikes me as kind of a menthol scent at first, a strong impression of heat -- but also steam coming off of hot rocks.

Mists shroud a pine forest, but it's not winter -- it's warm, and the air is thick and humid after a rainstorm.

Now it's a block of ice melting in a cave in a tropical jungle. Maybe some sort of prehistoric beast is frozen inside, and coming back to life?

After the menthol scent dies down, it has a sort of damp, mineral smell to it with some impressions of dark greenery...not floral, not sweet, just once again like some sort of evergreen, but not frosty pines.

This is definitely worth trying, for the experience, and I think it could grow on me as a fragrance if I didn't just have so many to play with these days! Abstract, conceptual scents like these fill me with the greatest anticipation and excitement whenever there is an update.

In the vial: spicy, sweetly herbal and a hint of smoke.

Wet: This is a really complex scent. Spicy, a hint of smoke and slightly earthy.

Dry: This scent reminds me of the scent of a hot stone spa treatment. Warm, earthy and with a hint of herbs, including the barest breath of mint. I would recommend this scent to anyone who enjoys earth scents. I think this fragrance can be worn by men and women.

Jezirat Al Tennyn is such an intriguing idea for a blend! And it does smell elemental. I can smell something smoky, like the smoke that's used in Hexennacht and Devil's Night. Then I smell something fiery, like maybe a bit of dragon's blood or a spice? There's also the mineral note that I recognize from Black Opal. Lastly there's something a smidge ozoney, but it's very slight.

It's very difficult to describe, but the overall feeling is of the 'primordial paradise' in the description. I really enjoy it, but it's not something I'll want to wear every day, so my little imp will more than suffice.

I had no idea what to expect from this, judging by the description.

What I smell straight off is extraordinarily sweet dirt. There's also a bit of of nose-tingle factor to it, which usually means something like mint or eucalyptus. I think there's a little smoke in there too, but it's kind of hard to tell because my skin amps any sort of dirt/earth note like you wouldn't believe. This time it's a minty dirt -- I smell like I've been digging around in the garden near my catmint plants.

So on my skin evidently I'm getting mostly "earth and wind" out of it (I usually think of that minty scent as being kind of breezy). I would have liked smoke and fire, but my skin chemistry had other plans. I like the way it smells in the imp a lot better than the way it smells on my skin, so maybe I'll try it in a scent locket and see how it goes.

Jezirat Al Tennyn is very unusual. Out of the bottle, and wet on my skin, it's sharp, earthy, and sort of....'zingy', maybe. I see (or smell) where people are getting a eucalyptus feel, but to me it's not quite the same. It has that quality though. Also, it's more like electricity than fire, to my nose. I finally decided that it reminded me of Demeter's Thunderstorm.

This doesn't last very long, though...as it dries, a spicy sweetness emerges that reminds me a lot of Dragon's Blood. It pretty much overpowers the sharpness within 10 or 15 minute, and becomes a warm spicy floral with a humid feel to it. Every now and then I get more flashes of the weird (but exciting) sharp note, whatever it is. I do like this, perhaps not enough to buy a larger bottle. I know I'll try it at least once more just to see if anything different happens.

In Bottle: Dirt

On Skin: This is a very earthy dirt scent. Wet soil, dark black and full of nutrients. It is also very smoky with a brimstone feel. Somewhere in the back I actually smell a little floral. This reminds me of survval on an island. Cutting through overgrown plants, digging in the dirt, a fire warming your night and for cooking, tropical flowers in the distance, a light mist of sea air. This scent scares me a little while The Isles of the Demons is more bright and fun and alive. While this scent is quite interesting, I don’t see myself wearing it. It’s off to the swaps. Light throw and average wearlength.

Jezirat Al Tennyn - Reading the scent description has me thinking I was going to hate this scent. I had visions in my head of something that would smell like Brimstone or Inferno. However, while it's not something I'd choose to wear as a personal fragrance, it's really not that bad. There is an ozone note that I suppose is meant to be the "wind" aspect of this scent. Blended with the earth and smoke notes, it's actually a rather sweet and almost incense-like scent. In fact, it's almost too sweet for my taste and reminds me somewhat of cookies whent their bottoms have burnt on the cookie sheet. It's definitely an interesting scent, but still not one I'd choose for a perfume scent. The throw and staying power are about average.

In the bottle... this smells of dirt and something sinus-clearing like eucalyptus.

On me... this is a surprisingly light, subtle scent. It smells like rich, black soil and a sweet mint.

In the drydown, this is soil, sweetly frosty mint, and something like smoky, charred wood coming in through the background.

Surprisingly, I don't hate this as much as I thought I would. The sweetness from the mint keeps this from becoming too earthy or smoky for me. Then again, I still can't see myself wearing this as a personal fragrance either.

Very strange! I couldn't figure out at first what I thought of this one, or whether I liked it or not - it was so different than any other scent I'd tried.

There's something very aggressively cold in it, and as it settled into my skin, I found myself thinking that it smelled like toothpaste! Evil toothpaste. But there were a lot of different things going on in there. Something about it was reminiscent of Talvikuu, but less foresty. There was a definite synthetic, chemical edge to it -- ozone maybe? Someone else at today's meet'n'sniff, smelling it on me, said it reminded them of insect repellent, and there was indeed something about it that was a bit like the Deep Woods Off element in Vinland.

All in all, too harsh and chemical-ish for me, but an interesting experiment nonetheless.

Grade: C

In the bottle: Sweaty feet and menthol.

Wet: A very strong blast of lavendery menthol, with an underlying current of salty vetiver and something that just smells putrid, possibly a herb or a wood.

Drydown: Strong menthol, still this salty putrid smell that reminds me at times of feet and at others of rotting fish... possibly some smoke. It's like snow over burning waste. After a while, that putrid smell goes away, leaving just an icy cold clean smell, like an ice desert.

Overall: This smells pretty much like the four elementals that have been thrown together. It's a clever concept, but I hated all four elementals, and I don't like the mix of them any better. Extreme drydown is okay, but considering what I have to go through to get to it, it's really not worth it. It's very evocative, but not of any place that I'd particularly like to visit. It certainly smells primordial, I'll give it that.

Jezirat Al Tennyn

In the imp: faint, but it smells cool and mineral, with smoke and water…

Wet on skin: cool and watery but with a peppery woodsmoke scent. There's a little hint of something almost like gardenia here too, and a pale mint note.

Dry on skin: what an intriguing scent! Very unusual indeed-there's something ozone-minty-watery to it which reminds me of Nuclear Winter, but there's a load of spicy smoke wafting over the top of it…it's peppery smoke, a definite scent of burning but it's actually quite pleasant. There's a eucalyptus-mint scent which, with the ozone, gives the effect of a cool wind, and a mineral note which reminds me of damp caves. There's also a sweet and floral tone to it as well, a hint of something like gardenia, the remnants of the 'primordial paradise' maybe? It's like a huge disaster is ready to ruin the paradise with fire, wind and water...

After a while: the aquatic sweet floral note, which now smells less like gardenia and more like lily, is slightly reminiscent of Ulalume now…but with peppery woodsmoke. There's still dampness and wet rocks and cool breezes here. It smells like a damp autumn day with exotic flowers and bonfires. It's surprisingly subtle and pretty.

This eventually fades to a very pleasant freshwater aquatic-floral with sweetness and smoke with a slight ashy-dusty undertone and a hint of something autumnal.

Verdict: this is an unusual yet very wearable scent, strange and surprisingly gentle on my skin. this scent captures all the elements in one-smoky, fiery and spicy notes, that mineral note reminiscent of wet rocks, cold sweet water and chilly breezes, with a floral heart. At first it's like all the elements are blasting over the flowers and I was expecting the scent to become quite apocalyptic or disaster-like in feel. It actually softens to a lovely watery floral with tinges of smoke and wet stone and ashes, and a scent reminiscent of autumn rain falling on lilies and dry leaves and rocks. It actually reminds me of Ulalume with added smoke and with less wood and leaves. It's faint on me compared with Kumari Kandam which had tons of throw. I don't need a bottle but I do like it-very strange and wonderfully conceptual but also very nice as perfume!

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? Maybe. I do prefer Kumari Kandam but I'm surprised at how wearable this is.

If you like this, try: Kumari Kandam, Ulalume (non-wintergreen version), R'lyeh, Olokun, Black Opal, Cloister Graveyard

In the bottle, I’m getting something sweet, almost chocolatey (which I know can’t be right!). I have no idea where this is coming from, but it’s my honest first impression; chalk it up to an inexperienced nose not knowing what to do with the complex notes at work.

On the skin: THERE we go. Now we’ve got elementals at work. It’s earthy, but a very damp earth; I remember someone calling this “swampy,” and that’s just about spot on. There’s definitely atmosphere and aqua at work here. To me, this smells like a combination of Destroying Angel and Tempest.

All in all, this is a very good example of an elemental scent! In fact, the only thing I didn’t get from Jezirat was fire.

This blend seriously smells like dirt on me. O_o Dirt and perhaps a light aquatic in there as well. What do you get when you mix dirt and water? Mud... and that's all this smells like to me. Blech.

I really don't know what my skin chemistry did to this one...

Wet, it was a blast of fresh ginger root -- promising! Unfortunately, as it dried, it became this truly peculiar sweet laundry detergent sort of scent. Fresh-detergent scents aren't really my thing, but have potential as room scents...but this was *sweetened* laundry detergent, with possibly an odd dirt note in there somewhere.

Eh, it was an experiment. I'm glad other people are having better, or at least more interesting, experiences with it.

In the imp: lots of eucalyptus and pine and green herbs, overlaid with sweet thick smoke.

On me, wet: eucalyptus and dirt and sweetish sulphurous smoke. Man, this is weird - like a churning icy waterfall in a steamy pine forest.

On me, dry: This is starting to get that slightly cucumbery aquatic scent from Undertow now. This is really pretty hard to pin down - all those elemental elements from the description are there, though the water is definitely prominent for me.

Verdict: I have Undertow already and barely ever wear it. I think I'll pass this along so someone else can experience it.

i tried this a week ago and for the first hour it smelled just like indian food. i'm not sure what dish, but it definitely had a saffron and curry-esque scent to it. today i re-tried it and at first it smells like moss and dirt, like zombi without the rose. as it dries, the smoke comes out more and a bit of leathery-like sweetness. interesting scent, i think i will keep my imp.

This smelled...like wet clay. But not in a good way. It also gave me a raging headache. I think "dolorous" pretty well describes how it smelled to me. I ran and scrubbed it off.

In bottle: Sharp peppermint, maybe eucaliptus, I'm not sure what else.

Wet and drying down: There's a strange sharpness, almost like ammonia without the sour smell, peppermint, something soft and gentle underneath to balance things.

It's really hard to smell this and it just sort of gives me an impression of a scent. That usually means ozone. Maybe a little moss. Now something spicy is coming out, maybe the tiniest hint of cinnamon. Now a tiny bit of aquatic. This one is so strange, it just keeps changing. It smells like the warm unsettling air right before a storm at night.

Dry: I'm not sure what it turned into. Just sort of a flat sweet slightly aquatic floral. It's not doing much for me at this point.

I got this as a frimp with my last order, and had no idea what the concept was until I came to write this review, so seeing the other reviews is very interesting! I get a delightful, warm, earthy scent out of this. There's an aquatic note, but an underlying mossy spiciness as well; it feels like a combination of elements. Sophisticated and complex.

Rating: 4/5.

This is smoke on first sniff, and rocks, and a hint of ocean. Definitely elemental, definitely primal. This is tough for me to review! After a long while, the rocky note mellows into a dirt blend, similar to Zombi, but without the floral notes. Instead of rose, there's a minty/aquatic note, and a hint of acrid smoke overlaying it all. This is a great scent, and very evocative.

Sweet, herby, definite smoke and earth, but not overwhelming - it is a sweet, herbal smoke and earth, to be sure. Jezirat Al Tennyn is a mysterious isle, that's for sure. If someone forced me to guess, I might guess at a hint of Dragon's Blood in here, but I certainly wouldn't swear to it, and I don't get any of the menthol that other people smelled.

I am finding it very hard to describe this, but I do like it.