try the

whole

cause,

and

condemn

you

to

death."

Vanilla, two ambers, sweet pea and white sandalwood.

There were a set of testers out at Convergence XII that included the Mouse. The minute, I sniffed this, I found a spot for it on my skin and just fell in love. Rich creamy vanilla, enhanced by amber and sandalwood. :P I loved this one so much that I returned to the booth after my shower to put some more on to wear all day. I tried to convince the labbies to let me steal take the Mouse home with me, but as that didn't happen, I'll be ordering a bottle as soon as possible. Fans of Antique Lace and other creamy vanilla blends will enjoy this one. It was sweet, but not too sweet. Resiny, without being too resiny. This one stayed pretty true to form on me and didn't morph. Something managed to keep the amber from going powdery. It was long lasting and held up to the heat and humidity of New Orleans without being cloying.

Check out the poem in its proper form on the Lab's website (or in your handy copy of Alice in Wonderland), 'cause we can't make the spacing work right on the forum. But it's cool. :D --Shollin

I tried this one at the will call and it is yummy!!

It is a soft nice vanilla others who sniffed it on me thought it was very much like Antique Lace (whih didn't work on me). This was one of the few vanillas not to go plasticky on me. It in fact settled at a beautiful slightly warm vanilla. It is delicious I so agree with the above I wish I could have snagged the bottle!

This is a beautiful scent. On me, it smells like a marriage of Vanilla Lace and Aeval. It's fresh, sweet, clean, slightly vanillic, a little musky, a little powdery. On me the sweet pea note comes out moreso than the sandalwood. All in all, definitely big bottle worthy.

In Bottle: Heaven! Er… I mean vanilla and sweet pea

On Skin: First off, someone at the lab loves me, they upgraded my 5ml to a 10ml, so I thank whatever sweetheart did that!!!! This scent is GORGEOUS! So innocent and girly, a light baby pink. It reminds me slightly of Juliet but the sandalwood gives it a clean woody note and the vanilla gives it sweet depth. The amber also helps give it a velvet resinous feel, oh my it really is heaven. This is so comforting, I feel instantly cute and girly, like I should be wearing a little frilly dress with corkscrew curls in my hair. Like Juliet, it also has a *slight* Love’s Baby Soft feel to it… but so much better and deeper. I almost always like vanilla scents, and sweet pea generally makes me squishy inside as well… top that off with amber and sandalwood and no wonder I LOVE this scent. I’m so happy I have a 10ml of it, it will be going to good use for sure!! Average throw and wear length.

Mouse's Long and Sad Tale is vanilla heaven. Vanilla and sweetpea with sandalwood at the bottom to hold it all together---simple, straightforward, and perfect.

Mouse's Long and Sad Tale

Sniffing from the bottle: I think I shrieked a little. This is one of the most striking of Beth's oils that I've smelled straight from the bottle. It smells, as others have said, like heaven. Pure, true sweet pea and creamy vanilla.

Upon appliation: It's sweet, what with the ambers and vanilla and sweet pea, but not overwhelmingly so. The vanilla isn't the cloyingly sweet kind that you find in Antique Lace (to my nose anyway), but a creamier, richer version. And the sandalwood? It's like, genius, man. Adds just enough depth and strength to round the scent out and give it lasting power.

After a while: Still going strong.

Conclusion: Like golden sun shining through cottony pink clouds. Heavenly. A new favorite.

in the bottle, candy, sweet pink candy w/ a hint of vanilla, i am assuming the candy scent is the sweet pea.

wet:sandalwood, vanilla, and sweet pea. reminicent of a.l. meets pink phoenix.

as it dries it remians much the same but softens. it is a sweet soft very girly scent. like a.l. yet different enough to deserve it's own spot in the big bottle line up. simply gorgeous and well done beth!

Edited by shelldoo

Amazing, amazing blend. The vanilla is a beautiful one, the amber is delightful. I love it! Glad I followed my instincts and got a bottle. The vanilla followed by soft, unpowdery amber are the major notes on me, with no sweetpea noticeable (yay!) It truly is a Beth masterpiece. It reminds me of the recent foody-but-not blends like Underpants- this does seem like it may have a whisper of sandalwood in there, a la Underpants... this is actually not a bad GC substitute- not exact, not even close, but in a similar family. 5 out of 5, will wear it a LOT.

Edited by LittleGreyKitten

Sweeter than I expected at first, then the vanilla takes over, and finally the amber seems to dominate when dry. The sweet pea is very soft. The vanilla doesn't make this smell foody at all, to my nose. Mmm, this is lovely. The amber isn't going to powder, either.

I think all vanilla and amber fans should try this one.

I'm not a big sweet pea person, but I had to see what this was like. Vanilla and amber are friends to my skin, and I'm very fortunate to have received my Dragon Moon order.

In the imp, it smells quite like Pink Phoenix. There's this very sweet, candy-like aroma that has behind it a vanilla - not so much foody vanilla, as the smell of an extract or a perfume oil not meant to emulate cakes. On my skin, this has the immediate similar sweet pea note in Pink Phoenix (yay!) and over a bit of time this settles down into a very sultry vanilla, quite pleasant. It is, however, possibly too PINK! for me to get away with.

Over time as the sweet pea regresses, the vanilla + sandalwood reminds me vaguely of that beautiful combination from Monster Bait: Underpants, however, it's definitely -not- a smoky and sultry vanilla blend - this is innocent, fresh, and young.

Rating (on skin): 0/5

Summarised in a word or two: Sweet pea.

In the imp: Vanilla and... sweet pea. Uh-oh.

On skin, wet: Oh noes: sweet pea. I... really don't like sweet pea. And it likes me even less. Beneath the sweet pea, there are traces of vanilla, amber and the barest of sandalwood.

On skin, dry: Sweet pea, and nothing but. Sweet pea, like rose (and a few others), quickly takes hold of any other notes and drowns them, violently and without remorse. Sweet pea is ruthless, and quite evil. I am not friends with sweet pea.

Conclusion/Notes: A big flop. What's worse, I tucked a bottle into my Lotus Moon order. Well, I know just where that bottle will be going when it arrives — somewhere else.

This is nice enough on me, but amber....amber just sort of becomes overwhelming on my skin. It's nice in the imp - very warm and sweet and well-balanced. I think many, many people are really going to like this one. But since amber is really LOUD when I wear it, I'm going to pass on this one.

In the bottle: The gentle sweetness of the sweet pea comes through, the same note that starts out dominant in Aeval.

On the skin: This spices up nicely as it sits and the woods come through, and is really enjoyable after sitting on the skin a short while. It's got a bit of a musty thing it passes through after that, and then the amber comes out dominant and it ends up kind of like a mild creamy version of The Lion after about an hour. The amber hangs on for a long time. Nice!

:P Oh my.

I came back from vacation to find my Dragon Moon order which I had totally forgot about. First thing I put on was the Mouse and it is just heaven. The vanilla amber scent is just so very perfect. It has something in it that reminds me of a wee bit of Smut - tempered with the sweetness of vanilla and just a hint of the floral sweetpea coming out at the end. Lovely.

As it dries down the floral starts to amp up - not ideal. I'll have to wait and see (and hope) with this one.

ETA: As the day has worn on I keep getting a whiff of something amazing smelling and wondering what it is. Then it hits me - it's me. (am such a moron - at one point I was sniffing my shirt thinking that was it and that whatever fabric softener I used I should go buy 5 gallon of - again, such a moron) Am very excited about this scent. It sort of mellows into a warm, sweet, powdery scent that has excellent throw. Thumbs up!

Edited by Tramp

themouseslongsadtale.jpg

If ever a perfume captured a tremulous mouse telling a long and sad tale, this one is it. Pink, pink, pink in a different way from Pink Phoenix or Pink Moon. There is a great deal of vanilla about this, and amber in one of its many many forms. The sweet pea is what makes it The Mouse's Tale. Sometimes I get a whiff of it and it's just tooo much, with the sweetness of the pea and vanilla and whatever nose tickling thing is in the amber used. Then it veers away into a Chinese sort of incensey moment. Then it goes back to a floral and amber. Very strange the way this one just goes around and around. I don't think it ever really settles down on my skin, like a mouse...they are nervous creatures, you know.

Last night I got the idea of combining this with The House of Night, and I am glad I did. There are some really peculiar similarities (or contrasts) which had The Mouse happily scampering and squeaking all through The House of Night all night long. Loved it.

The jury is still out on The Mouse's Long and Sad Tale as being part of my permanent collection. More empirical studies must be done---on mice.

Mouse's Long & Sad Tale smelled sweeter to me back in 2006. Now my aged bottle and recent lab purchase bottle smell more sharp and clean, like the vanilla sweetness has faded and the floral aspects have amped up and gone a bit sharper.

Clean, cool, perfumey floral with a bit of powdery sweetness from the amber, sandalwood and vanilla. It's definitely more floral and sandalwood on me now than it was in 2006. I sometimes find that this is a little too sharp and simple for me nowadays. It's clean floral more than anything else.

Edited by Little Bird

In the imp: Pink candy.

Wearing: Ahhh, the various notes start to make themselves known. The "sweet" part of becomes more obviously vanilla and less "candy", the sandalwood and amber show up in equal quantities. The sweet pea lends a teeny bit of a floral aspect, but I don't get that much.

This doesn't really change much on me - predominantly vanilla/sandalwood/amber throughout. Very nice for folks who want a vanilla or sweet scent that's not foody.

I haven't tried any of the bpals that seem similar to this, so I can't compare, but I do think this would layer very nicely with Villainess Spun Sugar soap!

Very soft, sweet and feminine. Not generally my type of scent, so no bottle for me, but it's so nice that I think I will keep the imp for when the appropriate mood strikes.

I love this. I absolutely, positively LOVE it. :P

Initially, it's all about the sweet pea. It's a bit sweet. Then, after about 10 minutes, it becomes more complex. My skin loves amber and vanilla, so it becomes a beautiful blend of these notes, and the subtle burr of the white sandalwood underneath. This is a close skin smell, not much throw even at the beginning. But the life of this is reasonably good--about 5 hours before I have to work to smell it. But this is so amazing, I think this is going on the big bottle list--not just 5ml, but 10. It will be my second 10ml (the first being Dorian).

*bliss*

This is a very pretty scent. It is simple, but it works on me.

Starts off very sweet and quite floral. I can definitely smell the amber and sweet pea, but not the vanilla. On drydown after about an hour, the sweet pea comes to the fore, pushing the amber back (still no obvious vanilla), however this floral stage last another hour or so and then the amber and a little bit of vanilla kicks in, suppressing the floral aspect. At this stage it reminds me quite a lot of Haunted. I do like this, but probably not enough for a bottle. I will enjoy my imp though!

Oh, I had such high hopes for this, but the sweet pea just makes this eye-wateringly sweet and powdery. I'm in love with the vanilla/amber/sandalwood combination I can detect underneath it, but I just can't stomach the sweet pea on top. This is a very, very young-smelling scent to me because of it--not that that's a bad thing, it's just not very me.

In the vial:

One word could describe this: creamy

On me:

Fans of Black Opal and Hymn to Proserpine rejoice! I think you'll like this for the sweet resiny smell in this. It is very similar to those two oils, for which I'm very grateful because I love them. Mouse is, however, more - Spring like. It's creamier and that wisp of floral breeze makes this a little lighter. This vanilla is definitely resiny and a little smokey even, I'd say. But creamy too! It makes me think of sweet tea actually (which is appropriate!). The sandalwood in this is gorgeous too, probably making this my favorite "sandalwood blend" from Beth (so far lol!). The sweet pea is so faint that my description above comparing it to a breeze is very appropriate I think. People who don't like florals need not fear, this doesn't come off as a floral blend, though the sweet pea certainly enhances this!

Final note:

This blend is GORGEOUS! Again, I would definitely liken it to being similar in vibe to Black Opal and Hymn to Proserpine. I will be adding this to my "Must buy bottle!" list!

Mouse's Long and Sad Tale

In the imp: sweet pea! Gorgeous, gentle sweet pea. No sign of the amber or vanilla yet.

Wet on skin: still sweet pea, it's a little bit greener now but I think I can smell the sandalwood.

Dry on skin: now it's sweeter! What a lovely, pretty scent! The dominant note is sweet pea, that gentle, greenish springtime scent, but behind that I can smell a gorgeous rich amber depth, it's sweetness amplified by vanilla, but it's not an outright sweetness. I think the sandalwood adds a feel of dry warmth to it all but isn't too obvious yet. I like the way the other deeper notes ground the sweet pea.

After a while: still sweet pea-dominated, but I really love what the amber's doing here. It's sweet, golden and, along with the vanilla and sandalwood, it prevents the sweet pea note (which can sometimes smell a bit funny on my skin) from going too waxy.

Gradually the amber strengthens and then becomes equal with the sweet pea, balancing the floral greenness with it's sweetly resinous scent, with sandalwood behind it. I love this stage of the scent. Eventually the scent swings from sweet pea to the most wonderful amber sandalwood drydown-it's the Lion's amber but without the spices! I think I'm getting Egyptian amber here, mmm…this is so beautiful.

Verdict: a beautiful, dainty, soft scent which has grown on me. Some sweet pea scents can be a bit soapy or waxy on me, but when other richer, sweeter notes ground the sweet pea note, this flower can be fabulous. Aeval was like that, and so is MLST. It starts off fluffy, pink and youthful, a pink spring floral, this mouse seems happy to me and not sad, and I am reminded of Angelina Ballerina (frilly mousy girliness), one of my favourite childhood books. Over time the scent matures and the amber starts to come to the fore, the little mouse grows up…the amber adds a wonderful sweet richness, along with vanilla, evening out and balancing the almost waxy greenish floral of the sweet pea. And then the scent ends with a stunning finale of glowing amber and sandalwood. This is a delightful scent which is so feminine and delicate yet with a nice depth to it. It's definitely a keeper as an imp, and I may get a bottle, but I'm not sure yet…but it's worth it for the drydown, which is so gorgeous!

Emoticon rating: :P

The vanilla in this doesn't really go burning plastic, but it does seem a little off. This scent is very light. It is nice in the imp, but on my skin it is a weird sweet pea. I agree with the person who said it reminds her of black opal.

This is very soft, intrigueingly so, in the imp.

On my skin it's primarily sweet pea and sandalwood. The vanilla adds the merest hint of sweetness, but overall this merges into a feminine perfume scent, which is a little heavy on the florals.

Not for me, but I'm sure someone else can give it a good home. :P

Lovely, lovely and lovely but so very.... frail?

You have to listen very carefully to hear Mouses Long and Sad Tale.

Spoken in a whisper and carried on a soft breath of air

it'll steal your heart away quietly and you barely even know it's there.

Edited by Heavenlyrabbit