Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

I bought this for the notes.  It smells nothing like I expected which was a much more powerful scent.  This is delicate and requires some concentration to pick out the notes.  The opening is raspberry, more fruity than jammy. The oud is smooth and the tobacco is gently present, getting more evident as it dries down.  The slight spice might well be the carnation.  This is a very well blended perfume.  The raspberry makes a few sneak appearances (perhaps the elf uprising!), and I actually thought it was plum before reviewing the description.  It is a subtle beauty and anyone concerned about the oud need not be,  I was hoping for skanky wood and a deep tobacco, but have to admit this is pretty!

Disclaimer: Fresh out of a transpacific delivery and will update if there are any evident changes.

February 18 

The carnation and tobacco notes are more apparent after a month.  However, it remains a rather light blend.  The note composition is quite intriguing and I am more able to pick them out in the early morning as my first perfume of the day. 

Edited by Minh Scent

Freshly applied this hits the same buttons in my brain as Asleep in the Deep from the Fire Down Below collection, which also contains fruit/benzoin/labdanum. Elf Mutiny smells less ominous, and dare I say cuter, but I would not cross these raspberry cheeked seafarers! There's a pleasant touch of carnation spice and tobacco grit.

This isn't a funky oud. If oud can be fruity, this is that oud. Fizzy labdanum with the tangy raspberry is a fun combo with the spicy carnation, and the tobacco is the adult in the room, keeping it all together.

Smells like a alcohol-based perfume i've smelled before; no idea what perfume that was, but this is very similar. Woodsy labdanum enveloped in boozy/tobacco red-raspberry-goodness, the benzoin rounding this up in a warm sweet squishy coccoon! 

Full disclosure: the word oleaginous always gives me pause after Perilous Garden.  I figured this would be greasy and sinister.  Hell, I was expecting something spicy because of the tobacco and carnation...but for reasons I don't understand this was almost entirely juicy summer raspberry on the vine on my skin. These elves aren't menacing: they're maybe drunk on raspberry wine spritzers and mischievous.  The other notes kept it from going full projectile diabetes at 6 feet on me.

And, unlike most bright fruit smells I wear, it hung all day long. 

#reviewathon2023

So, right off the bat I spilled some of this on the counter and soaked it up with a stray washcloth, which per standard procedure went into a knitting bag. So my review is mostly based on how my yarn smells. I agree with the above reviews, this is a fizzy tangy raspberry tipsy elf passed out in my half-finished shawl. Whatever he's been drinking, I'm here for it, it smells delicious.

For what it's worth, as yarn perfumes go, I have been enjoying this one. Sometimes when I do this the project ends up being so heavy with scent that it slows down my progress (I'm looking at you, Tattooed Woman Embraces The God Of Thunder), but this play isn't a tour-de-force, it's a farce, where I think someone must have spread jam on my wool but there's a little spicy carnation and tobacco that pops up with a little song and dance to retrieve it from Dessert Land.

I tested this blind. Berry candy. Sweet tarts. Bright red fruit. Not my kind of scent at all — I couldn’t imagine why I’d ordered the decant. Later I checked the notes. Oh. Some of my favorites. Tobacco, carnation, labdanum. And it was the raspberry oud that had me intrigued. But on my skin? Raspberry single note. Sigh. 

Like everyone else has aleady said, I was expecting a dark resin, carnation spiced, earthy tobacco thing, but this is all about the raspberry and light woodiness on my skin.  Light, tart, a little sour.  I wish that the raspberry were coming across sweeter and juicier than it is here.  I might be smelling some oud or woody type labdanum in the drydown.  Reminds me of not-quite-right raspberries on the woody brambles, just out of reach.  Not much throw on my skin, but stuck around for about 5 hours.

Well this is different in a good way!  Reading the notes, I was expecting a fruity resinous red thing.  Instead, I got a bunch of red fruits that dry down to the most amazing light, daytime wear friendly red musk with little hits of berry.  Nice!

You wouldn't walk by and know that I was wearing a raspberry scent (I blind bottled it for the raspberry and tobacco) -  but - it is worth completely worth it for the mystery it presents.

I can't pick out the tobacco yet (I tried it the moment it arrived, so resting may change this). The raspberry, labdanum and benzoin seem to be equally balanced to my nose and the carnation give a very tiny hint of that peppery zing. This is a dry scent. If I assigned it a colour it'd be dusty rose. There's an edge to it that feeds my emo heart.

It's very unique and mysterious. I slot scents in my head by vibe. Even though Elf Mutiny doesn't share too many notes with To A Wreath of Snow (in my top 3 favs), it has that ethereal yearning vibe that TAWOS has. If you're anything like me, you needs it!

On 4/12/2023 at 9:21 AM, Little Bird said:

Like everyone else has already said, I was expecting a dark resin, carnation spiced, earthy tobacco thing, but this is all about the raspberry and light woodiness on my skin. 

THIS ⬆️  I was picturing a heavier, spicy elf rebellion and instead I get what smells like vintage berry soap? No carnation spice, mega juicy berries or inherently gooey tobacco, I can see the reference to Raspberry-booze sloshed elves. It has an airy quality to it and is rather dry, despite all the weightier notes. I don't hate it, it's just definitely not matching what I was hoping for. 

This is very raspberry on me, which is a pleasant surprise! The raspberry oud is 99% raspberry on me, there's not much woodiness to it. The red labdanum is a strong second note, and it's quite fizzy. I usually hate fizzy notes, but this one doesn't make me queasy. I think I get some of the caramelly sweetness of the tobacco, but it doesn't come through very strong. I get the citrusy sap of benzoin, too. The only hint of carnation I get is a spicy heat lurking in the background of this perfume.

This is like the perfume version of organic raspberry lemon-lime soda made with real sugar and fruit. It's got more going on than that but I think that's how I could best sum it up. I really like the subtle edge that the tobacco and carnation add to this one. These elves might seem sweet but they mean business.