Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Absinthe

Limited editions equivalents in the general catalog?

i tried this once before and nobody had any responses but i am really looking for something to take the place of Perchta when i run out of it. To me it is a chilly smelling light woodsy floral. heavier would be fine. i love pine but the thing that stands out about Perchta is that the snow/mint is so light. i was thinking maybe Prague? My friend has Cloister Graveyard and the mint is too strong and makes my stomach feel like i am on a car trip with my Gramma and we are chewing Wrigleys....

Hmmm, Perchta had something in it that really clashed w/me so I may not be the best source for smell-alikes ;) But I am familiar w/Prague and I am not sure it is what you want in this case. I don't find that it has a snow note at all. Instead it's very floral, like spring flowers that bloom from bulbs, if that makes sense. Since it is a GC scent, though, it might be worth the $3.50 or the swap for an imp - I didn't get floral from Perchta at all, so it stands to reason that our chemistries differ a bit and you might prove me wrong!

The scents that come to mind for me when I hear "chilly smelling light woodsy floral" would be Snow Bunny or The Snow Maiden. Neither has anything minty at all (Cloister Graveyard is too minty for me, too, so maybe our chemistries have some things in common as well).

You could try Death of a Gravedigger, if you can get it on swap. (It's a Salon). It's not minty or particularly floral, hut it's very edge of the forest in the snowy depths of winter.

I love the sweet, smoky, spicy tobacco of Hearth 04 and Samhain 05, but I don't think I'll ever get anymore of those. Is there a GC equivalent to this loveliness?

Where is The Snow Storm? I've searched.

I also tried to search "snow" as a note, but...um 781 responses later, no...

Any recommendations for an equivalent of Lovers in a Ricefield? I discovered this one too late! :cry:

Lovers in a Ricefield

Plum blossom, vanilla sandalwood, nutmeg, and wild rice.

I need more - help!

This may have just been me, but Bien Loin d'Ici is Smut on my skin. Nice to find one that's easier to track down. Crazy throw ,too.

Under the Harvest Moon reminds a bit of bastet minus the almond once it's dry.

Oh good! cos I have a bottle coming my way - thanks for the heads up!

And thanks SO MUCH Apple! You're a star <3 <3 <3 <3

Didn't see this up in the thread already (ran a search) so if I missed it, apologies, but...

I recently obtained an imp of Jingo-Kogo and... ohmygod. The sender told me it was similar to Haloes, but I'm actively looking for any other similarities. I've checked through the review thread but everyone seems pretty certain it's in a class by itself, with slight similarities to GV, Haloes, and Chimera :sob:

I have fallen DESPERATELY in love with Jingo Kogo. The imp is empty; I keep it in a tin by my computer to randomly sniff. That is how much I love it. I want to smell like Jingo Kogo every single day but it's extremely unlikely that I am ever going to be able to get my hands on a bottle and most of the comparisons are to also-hard-to-finds.

BPAL army, mobilize! D: Please?

to me, egle has a very similar scent to the snow storm. it's a bit sweeter, i just did a side by side test and the snow storm is definitely tangier/crisper but still similar. death of the grave digger is a far colder, loamier scent.

Edited by hkhm

I'm not the first person to notice a resemblance based on what reviewers have said so far - so if you loved Gluhwein from last year's Yule Inquisition but have had trouble tracking it down, try Soothing System. You won't get the spices, but I found the wine note to be the same, to the point that I immediately thought "GLUHWEIN!" when I opened the bottle. From there a dab of whatever spicy blend floats your boat: I haven't tried any yet but I think Bengal, Plunder, Sin, & Al Sharain could all be good layering candidates (not that S.S. isn't nice on its own, but if you're seeking the Gluhwein effect.)

This may just be me, but I found a few blends reminiscent or extremely similar to Geek :wub2:

LE: Hua Mulan was Geek's younger, teenage sister - a "pink" Geek scent

GC: Nemesis is practically a dead ringer for Geek on me. Smells just like hiking or camping in the woods on a summer afternoon with the light slanting through the trees and ripe berry vines and tree sap sweetening the air into an orgasm of nature. Yeah...that's how much I like Geek :blush:

Any recommendations for an equivalent of Lovers in a Ricefield? I discovered this one too late! :cry:

Lovers in a Ricefield

I need more - help!

Mm, I love Lovers in a Ricefield too! Unfortunately I haven't really found a twin in the GC. Kitsune-Tsuki and Mme Moriarty both have the same plum note, to my nose, but Kitsune-Tsuki is bright and fruity and Mme Moriarty is deep and sexy, whereas I find Lovers to be soft and sweet. Maybe if you layered Kitsune-Tsuki with lots of something with soft vanilla (Castitas?)?

Ivyandpeony, thanks for mentioning Soothing System! I've been trying to get my hands on some Gluhwein but was afraid that the cinnamon would amp on me (like it always does). Sounds like SS is the perfect remedy.

Lovers in a Ricefield

I need more - help!

Mm, I love Lovers in a Ricefield too! Unfortunately I haven't really found a twin in the GC. Kitsune-Tsuki and Mme Moriarty both have the same plum note, to my nose, but Kitsune-Tsuki is bright and fruity and Mme Moriarty is deep and sexy, whereas I find Lovers to be soft and sweet. Maybe if you layered Kitsune-Tsuki with lots of something with soft vanilla (Castitas?)?

Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately, jasmine and red musk are horrid on me, so I don't think either of those would work. I'm considering rounding up a collection of plummy imps and trying some layering experiments, though. Any thoughts on the following and how they might compare with Lovers in a Ricefield, or what they could be layered with to achieve a similar effect?

Bathsheba
(Ars Amatoria) - Her scent is breathtakingly lovely, exotic and powerfully sensual in its innocence: carnation, sensual plum, and Arabian musk.

Bordello
(Ars Amatoria) - Bawdy plum with amaretto, burgundy wine and black currant.

Dionysia
(Carnaval Diabolique) - Wild plum, pomegranate, raspberry, Siamese benzoin, plum blossom, patchouli, frankincense, and mahogany.

Frumious Bandersnatch
(Mad Tea Party) - Bandersnatch musk, redolent of spicy carnations, wild plums and chrysanthemum.

Oya
(Excolo) - Oya’s ofrenda is a Nigerian potion of love and war, sweetened by darkest plum.

Prunella
(Marchen) - Ripe purple plums, wildflowers, and cream.

I haven't tried Prunella yet; the "wildflowers" have been giving me pause (Bensiabel was way, way too floral). I also haven't tried Dionysia, but it looks promising if the pomegranate and raspberry aren't too assertive.

Maybe Bathsheba layered with Lyonesse or Dana O'Shee? Frumious Bandersnatch + Mouse's Long and Sad Tale?

Thoughts? Comments? I'm desperate! :lol:

Edited by Apple

Anything that smells like Labores Solis?

It isn't GC, but The Sportive Sun is a warmer, brighter version of Labores Solis -- and it's usually fairly easy to track down.

Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately, jasmine and red musk are horrid on me, so I don't think either of those would work. I'm considering rounding up a collection of plummy imps and trying some layering experiments, though. Any thoughts on the following and how they might compare with Lovers in a Ricefield, or what they could be layered with to achieve a similar effect?

Bathsheba
(Ars Amatoria) - Her scent is breathtakingly lovely, exotic and powerfully sensual in its innocence: carnation, sensual plum, and Arabian musk.

Bordello
(Ars Amatoria) - Bawdy plum with amaretto, burgundy wine and black currant.

Dionysia
(Carnaval Diabolique) - Wild plum, pomegranate, raspberry, Siamese benzoin, plum blossom, patchouli, frankincense, and mahogany.

Frumious Bandersnatch
(Mad Tea Party) - Bandersnatch musk, redolent of spicy carnations, wild plums and chrysanthemum.

Oya
(Excolo) - Oya’s ofrenda is a Nigerian potion of love and war, sweetened by darkest plum.

Prunella
(Marchen) - Ripe purple plums, wildflowers, and cream.

I haven't tried Prunella yet; the "wildflowers" have been giving me pause (Bensiabel was way, way too floral). I also haven't tried Dionysia, but it looks promising if the pomegranate and raspberry aren't too assertive.

Maybe Bathsheba layered with Lyonesse or Dana O'Shee? Frumious Bandersnatch + Mouse's Long and Sad Tale?

Thoughts? Comments? I'm desperate! :lol:

I don't know how bad of a death note jasmine is for you, but I can't smell it at all in Kitsune-Tsuki. I actually had to look it up after you said that, because I went, "Wait, which one has jasmine?". :lol: Anyway, just thought I'd throw that out there.

I haven't tried all of the ones you've mentioned, but here's my thoughts on the ones I have:

Bordello: Much to my surprise, this blend actually went awful on me. I think I amped the wine. A lot of people love this one and have commented on the prominent plum though, so it might still work for you.

Dionysia: I STILL can't quite pin this one down.. I actually just put some on so I could compare for you. :lol: The plum is definitely there, but somewhat subdued by the woods and resins. It's a bit more tart than most of Beth's plum blends. It's very pretty and you should try it if you like plum, but to my nose it isn't very similar to Lovers.

Prunella: I had to go try this one too. Poor thing has been languishing untried in my imp box. And... damn, I'm amping the wildflowers (which are surprisingly green and stemmy and pretty, but not what you're looking for). If you already have some, you might as well try it anyway though.

I don't know if you've tried Makhanitis (also from the past Lupes), but it's probably the second-plummiest blend I've come across (the first being Kitsune-Tsuki). The plum is a little deeper than Kitsune-Tsuki, so it might work well for layering if you can find some. As for the vanilla part of layering, I think Lyonesse and Dana O' Shee are both good candidates. Mouse's LST is super sweet to my nose. Agape might also be a good choice (it's got that creamy, soft vanilla thing going on), and shouldn't be too hard to find on the forum, but I'll try some layering experiments with it this week and get back to you.