Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Absinthe

Limited editions equivalents in the general catalog?

I really love the leather, vanilla, and honeycomb combo of Trick #1, the leather isn't very strong, but it adds depth and grounds the sweetness and hints of florals for me, and the vanilla's just softly in the throw after a few hours - and this is one of the only blends that's had really rich honey on me- are there any other blends with a leather-honey combo?

Edited by ivyandpeony
Some punctuation marks appeared as this symbol: ’ I replaced them with the intended punctuation.

Any suggestions for GC equivalents of Tamamo-No-Mae? I've decided that I absolutely love this scent and since it's pretty much impossible to get in the swaps I'd love to find something similar in the GCs. On me it's a sweet, creamy, smoky scent.

I love and adore Freak Show and although I do currently have a bottle and a half of it, and there have been rumours of it's reappearence, I'd also vaguely like to know that there is something similar to use (or layer) as a slight substitute.

Thanks in advance, and apologies if this in the wrong place.

I'd try Carnal (Love Potions, mandarin and fig). Freak Show was all fig and pomegranate on me.

Any suggestions for GC equivalents of Tamamo-No-Mae? I've decided that I absolutely love this scent and since it's pretty much impossible to get in the swaps I'd love to find something similar in the GCs. On me it's a sweet, creamy, smoky scent.

I'd also like to hear recs for this. TnM is similar on me, but with a tea note too, kind of like a sweet creamy asian moon scent. YUM. NEED MORE. :P

It takes a while on the dry-down but The Lantern Ghost of Oiwa (Salon) comes close to Tamamo-No-Mae.

It takes a while on the dry-down but The Lantern Ghost of Oiwa (Salon) comes close to Tamamo-No-Mae.

Not on me. :P Lantern Ghost has enough mint to amp up nauseatingly on my skin, so I had to get rid of it fast. <sigh>

Good ol' HOD! Lace it into Thanatos, and you've got a nearly dead-on Gypsy Queen.

:P This is absolutely wonderful to know, as I have two (well, one-and-a-half now!) precious hoarded bottles of Gypsy Queen and didn't know what I'd do when I ran out. Morocco is GQ-like, but not quite the same.

So I have fallen in love with Zarita the Doll Girl . Thankfully, it's Carnavale Diablique, therefore I can still order it. But, what should I try when it's gone? Life just wouldn't be as nice smelling without her.

Alice is not identical, but close enough, with the same carnation-and-cream notes. Maybe layering it with Katharina or Siren for the orange blossom.

Edited by Chrysantza

I like rose scents and have been looking for the 'perfect' one for me. I bought a bottle of Rose Moon and I just love it, but once this bottle is gone I will need something new. I have read some of the reviews of Tarot: the Empress and thought it sounded like it might be similar. Since it's a GC scent I thought I had all the time I needed to think about it. Now it's going to be discontinued and I better grab a bottle if it has a chance of being 'the' rose I am looking for. Has anyone compared the two? Or does anyone have a suggestion for a GC scent that is similar to Rose Moon?

Saw some posts about Cerberus earlier in this thread. It reminds me of Tezcatlipoca. Am I the only one who thinks this? I know they don't have many notes in common, but the similarity is strong to me....probably just the combination of cocoa/chocolate and non-foody notes that they both have.

Night Gaunt and Hungry Ghost Moon smell very similar when dry to me. :P

Wow, not at all to me. On me, Hungry Ghost Moon was unpleasant green muskiness, while Night-Gaunt is by turns cheerful (grapefruit) and sublime (snowy, with faint flowers).

Saw some posts about Cerberus earlier in this thread. It reminds me of Tezcatlipoca. Am I the only one who thinks this? I know they don't have many notes in common, but the similarity is strong to me....probably just the combination of cocoa/chocolate and non-foody notes that they both have.

Hmm. The chocolate in Tezcatilpoca didn't last on me at all, so I didn't get that connection. However, I did think that Intrigue reminded me quite a bit of Cerberus, as did Great Sword of War to a lesser extent.

If anyone is looking for a GC equivalent of Crumpet Rebellion, look no further than Knave of Hearts! Seriously, they are almost identical. The biggest difference is that Knave of Hearts has rose and Crumpet Rebellion doesn't. On me, Knave had rose in equal balance with the tart, but on other people it's lost entirely, so on you it could be more or less similar. As for me and my skin, the main difference in the black currant tart aroma was that Knave was more buttery pastry, and Crumpet was more caramelized sugar.

ETA: Having heard a few more comparisons, it looks like it's pretty consistent that Knave is more fluffy cake-like, and Crumpet is more, er, crusty and burnt-sugary. So, slightly different fragrance qualities, but generally, I'm stunned at how similar they are.

Edited by naeelah

Is Shoggoth similar to the Star?

…and what are the main similarities?

Are there any GC's similar to Hunger Moon? I get lotsa guy attention when I wear it, but since it's an LE it's hard to stock up. : :P

Too add to this, for me atleast, Hungry Ghost Moon, Hunger Moon & Tamamo-no-Mae seem to share similar ginger/white sandalwood/white citrus notes.

I've seen on this thread that 51 is similar to HGM so does anyone know if it's also similar to the other two?

Edited by black*cat

For me, both Shoggoth and Eden have the same coconut note that's in The Star--which means I can't wear any of them. :P

If anyone is looking for a GC equivalent of Crumpet Rebellion, look no further than Knave of Hearts! Seriously, they are almost identical. The biggest difference is that Knave of Hearts has rose and Crumpet Rebellion doesn't. On me, Knave had rose in equal balance with the tart, but on other people it's lost entirely, so on you it could be more or less similar. As for me and my skin, the main difference in the black currant tart aroma was that Knave was more buttery pastry, and Crumpet was more caramelized sugar.

Excellent. Thanks for the recommendation! I :P CR.

If anyone is looking for a GC equivalent of Crumpet Rebellion, look no further than Knave of Hearts! Seriously, they are almost identical. The biggest difference is that Knave of Hearts has rose and Crumpet Rebellion doesn't. On me, Knave had rose in equal balance with the tart, but on other people it's lost entirely, so on you it could be more or less similar. As for me and my skin, the main difference in the black currant tart aroma was that Knave was more buttery pastry, and Crumpet was more caramelized sugar...

I have to agree :-) On me, the main difference is that Knave is a tad more syrupy and less tart. Also, it lasts a lot longer. Crumpet is more tart and juicy, and lasted less. The most noticeable difference was in the wet stages for me. On the drydown, before Crumpet disappeared, they were almost identical. I'm pleased :-)

I'm going to need to find a GC equivalent of Tiresias. I've managed to acquire two imps of it from the same decant batch, but what do I do to get my wondrous cinnamon/caramel/wood/musk fix when they run out (which they will pretty soon at the rate I'm using it!)?

They smell similar (but not exactly) alike in the bottle, but on me Tanin'iver and (very aged) Samhain '05 smell exactly the same. I dabbed a little of each on both my wrists and one is entirely indistinguishable from the other.

I have to agree :-) On me, the main difference is that Knave is a tad more syrupy and less tart. Also, it lasts a lot longer. Crumpet is more tart and juicy, and lasted less. The most noticeable difference was in the wet stages for me. On the drydown, before Crumpet disappeared, they were almost identical. I'm pleased :-)

I agree that Knave is more sweet and syrupy. Otherwise, on my skin, the lifespan is actually the opposite! Knave faded within a few hours, but CR lasts foreeeever on my skin (a rare one that does!). I guess the rose in Knave kind of cuts it and makes it a little softer and gentler. Crumpet wasn't quite as smooth.

I'm going to need to find a GC equivalent of Tiresias. I've managed to acquire two imps of it from the same decant batch, but what do I do to get my wondrous cinnamon/caramel/wood/musk fix when they run out (which they will pretty soon at the rate I'm using it!)?

You can still buy 5 ml, you know. :P Tiresias won't be retiring until January, so you have a whole 6 months to hoard!

I can't comment on a GC equivalent, but I will be sure to speak up if anything comes to mind! Hellfire sounds like it might be similar. I have both Hellfire and Tiresias, but I haven't tried either, so I'll give them a go and let you know.

If anyone is looking for a GC equivalent of Crumpet Rebellion, look no further than Knave of Hearts! ...

That is an excellent observation! And they both hated me with a vengeance *sob* But that's such a great suggestion - for anyone dying to try CR, try the Knave and if the foody notes work on you, CR is worth pursuing. I couldn't even smell the rose in Knave of Hearts, the currants and pastry really went nuts on me.

icing, I find them really, really different. The Star is fairly dry to me - like unsweetened coconut with a squeeze of lime. Shoggoth is more complex and much sweeter, maybe from the florals like the osmanthus & wisteria. Both are lovely, they're just distant cousins to me.

Too add to this, for me atleast, Hungry Ghost Moon, Hunger Moon & Tamamo-no-Mae seem to share similar ginger/white sandalwood/white citrus notes.

I've seen on this thread that 51 is similar to HGM so does anyone know if it's also similar to the other two?

To me, Tamamo-no-mae is really different from Hunger Moon & HGM - it turns really peachy. You definitely should try Kumiho (white tea and ginger) and Sudha Segara (ginger, honey, milk & ambrosia) - both have that crispy, citrusy ginger note and are great for summertime.

I find 51 very different from HGM although I love both! On me, 51 is a very crisp, light musk with some citrus and heady florals.

Definitely treat yourself to a bottle (or two) since CD is going to be around for a while longer! :P (I know the US postage price increases are affecting lots of international customers, but you can scan the swaps section for others in the UK to share shipping... I'm all about enabling whenever possible)

Thanks ivyandpeony, I finally got to try 51 & you're right, it is different from HGM, but I really love it anyway.

I already have Kumiho & Sudha & they are two of my favs!

I'll just have to stock up on Tamamo, Hungry Ghost Moon & Hunger Moon.

I like rose scents and have been looking for the 'perfect' one for me. I bought a bottle of Rose Moon and I just love it, but once this bottle is gone I will need something new. I have read some of the reviews of Tarot: the Empress and thought it sounded like it might be similar. Since it's a GC scent I thought I had all the time I needed to think about it. Now it's going to be discontinued and I better grab a bottle if it has a chance of being 'the' rose I am looking for. Has anyone compared the two? Or does anyone have a suggestion for a GC scent that is similar to Rose Moon?

IMO, to my nose, Empress and Rose Moon are very different. Unfortunately I don't have Rose moon, I'm remembering from memory, but it was a sweet rose? Empress is almost all rose (I don't know what kind, but I know it's not tea rose as in London), and there's a slight men's cologne on the drydown (I'm thinking Bergamot, I'm not sure what the note is).

I think a closer similarity to Rose Moon is Hope from CD. Hope is much sweeter but I remember thinking they were very similar.

Just my 2 cents. Happy hunting!