Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Absinthe

Limited editions equivalents in the general catalog?

Anyone have good recs for a GC sub for July's 13? I never thought I'd like a chocolate/sweet perfume but I adore it and want more!!! I know of Velvet, Candy Butcher and Bliss as chocolate scents but don't know which would be the best choice for that fruity-spicy chocolate.

I'd recommend layering Bliss and Fae, perhaps - this 13 is heavily peach/chocolate to me. And perhaps a dot of something a bit more herbal to get that quality, depending on what 13 does on your skin.

Robin Goodfellow smells very similar to Roux-Ga-Roux on my skin with maybe a touch less floral. Hopefully the aging process doesn't change Robin too much, because I'd love to have a GC backup for when my beloved Roux-Ga-Roux runs out.

I find similarities between Ice Queen and Cloister Graveyard in the Snow. Ice Queen is a bit fruitier and more regal, but the vibe is very much the same.

Thanks to Funkmoppet who sent me a decant of Schwarzer Mond! Just as I suspected I would, I love it far too much. :P There have been recommendations on this thread for aged Sin and Scherezade as matches. I don't find Scherezade to be very similar, but I'll try and track down Sin. Any other Schwarzer Mond suggestions?

Thanks to Funkmoppet who sent me a decant of Schwarzer Mond! Just as I suspected I would, I love it far too much. :P There have been recommendations on this thread for aged Sin and Scherezade as matches. I don't find Scherezade to be very similar, but I'll try and track down Sin. Any other Schwarzer Mond suggestions?

On me SM goes sort of cola-ish and the only other BPAL that does a similar thing is Dragons Bone. They're not exactly alike or anything, but if you were willing to layer, I think Dragons Bone would be a good component.

... but I just had to post that Singing Moon is a close relative to Shanghai Tunnel. Especially at first, I could barely tell them apart. They dry different (but similar). They're both LEs but one is a lot harder to get than the other.

I'm so glad to hear that. I'm lucky enough to have a bottle of Shanghi Tunnel and I love it beyond all reason. Even my husband likes it and he rarely likes any perfumes at all. I have a pending trade for Singing Moon and if it is anything like ST it will be a huge victory.

I don't find Singing Moon to be that similar to Shanghai Tunnel (ST is a lot colder and mossy on me), but Singing Moon, at least on my skin, a very very close relative of the non-resurrected Springtime in Arkham scent Whipporwill. Basically, ad a few drops of vanilla or tonka to Whipporwill, and it's my chemistry's Singing Moon. :P

To my nose, Selkie and Titania have a lot in common. If someone were really jonesing for Selkie, they might try Titania and a little of something watery...I tried it with Thalassa (LE, but still available) and it was lovely, but for GC, you could try Sea of Glass.

Has anyone else tried comparing Titania and Selkie? I hope someone agrees, because I feel kind of clever :P

I'm just working my way through my latest batch of imps and currently have The Dormouse on my right hand - it's a very close match for the gorgeous Budding Moon on me, if anyone is looking for a GC equivalent of it. It's slightly lighter and has less throw, but I did only apply a small dab to test. Otherwise, it's pretty close.

Did I forget to post here?

You like Ice Queen? I definitely get a strong similarity from Cloister Graveyard in the Snow (not really GC, but you know...)

You like Jacob's Ladder? The Lion from the Mad Tea Party scent line smells very similar. As if the Lion were the previous sketch for JL.

I'm really going to need a GC equivalent to Bakeneko. Please help.

(Even if you know something similar that's non-BPAL - PM me? Desperate here.)

When I first tried Bakeneko, I remarked that it was the love child of Bastet and Shub. (Yeah, I know they're both female. Bakeneko has two mommies. :P) There's no tea in either of those scents, but the tea in Bakeneko isn't very strong on me. Or at least it wasn't; I haven't worn it in a while.

I wonder if anyone could tell me exactly how much Urd actually compares to Hellion. The description sounds like there might be a fair deal of similarity and I've seen them being compared a few times, but how similar are they really? I'll definitely get a bottle of Urd as soon as I can afford it, but I don't want to get my hopes up too high (unless, of course, somebody tells me that they could be twins)... *smile*

Edited by Irukandji

Does anyone who gets pure carnation from Alice also have Zarita? Does it work on them, and how carnation does it go - or is it more orange blossom? I bought Alice expecting to love it and got carnation hell. I don't want to spend $20 on an unsniffed bottle and have it smell like death.

Hellion - Urd comparison: on me, they are nothing alike. I get overwhelming grape & nag champa from Urd which, on my skin, is just intolerable - like the Kool Aid guy's seductive love den. :P Hellion's beautiful on me, patchouli with dark plum notes. Since Urd's a GC and you can pick up an imp, I would highly recommend that you try it yourself, though! You truly never know how something is going to work until you try it on your own skin, you may even have to try it more than once - I find that's especially true with blends that are more unconventional, like Urd. And there are tons of people who find it gorgeous on them.

Alice-Zarita comparison: Alice is really well balanced on me (and one of my all time favorite blends), so it may be that you amp carnation. I also happen to love, love, love BPAL's carnation notes. Consider those caveats, but I don't find Zarita especially heavy on carnation. I find it predominantly a creamy, sugary blend with no single floral note jumping out at me, they're just adding something a little different to the sweetness I am smelling. Now, Pink Moon 07 is about half spicy carnation, half Zarita's cream & sugar - but Zarita to me is about 80-90% creamy sweetness.

Alice-Zarita comparison: Alice is really well balanced on me (and one of my all time favorite blends), so it may be that you amp carnation. I also happen to love, love, love BPAL's carnation notes. Consider those caveats, but I don't find Zarita especially heavy on carnation. I find it predominantly a creamy, sugary blend with no single floral note jumping out at me, they're just adding something a little different to the sweetness I am smelling. Now, Pink Moon 07 is about half spicy carnation, half Zarita's cream & sugar - but Zarita to me is about 80-90% creamy sweetness.

I think I may amp carnation, but Alice smelled wrong even in the imp, lol. Maybe I just hate the smell.

Slightly OT: People who *do* normally amp carnation - how do you find Zarita?

I think I may amp carnation, but Alice smelled wrong even in the imp, lol. Maybe I just hate the smell.

Slightly OT: People who *do* normally amp carnation - how do you find Zarita?

I amp carnation, usually, and Zarita was all white flowers, which on me means soap. I didn't get much of any carnation from the little Doll Girl.

I got to try Unheavenly City on again over the weekend, and I realized that, on me, it smells almost exactly like Sacred Whore of Babylon.

The main difference, for me, was that Unheavenly City had more rose and was less heavy on red musk. But red musk seems to calm down with age, so I suspect that older Sacred Whore would have an even closer resemblance.

Anyone have good recs for a GC sub for July's 13? I never thought I'd like a chocolate/sweet perfume but I adore it and want more!!! I know of Velvet, Candy Butcher and Bliss as chocolate scents but don't know which would be the best choice for that fruity-spicy chocolate.

Pink Moon '07 with Bliss is similar, but lacking the spicy pink peppery note.

On me SM goes sort of cola-ish and the only other BPAL that does a similar thing is Dragons Bone. They're not exactly alike or anything, but if you were willing to layer, I think Dragons Bone would be a good component.

Oddly enough, on my skin, I found The Music of Erich Zahn to be very similar to SM. The only difference on me was the tamarind note which adds a slight bit of tart/sweetness to Erich Zahn- I have had my bottle since it came out (almost a year??) and the resins have gotten a bit deeper and the tamarind has backed down a bit. It's very lovely :nods:

For anyone interested in single notes, I've had an imp of lemongrass SN and I can't see a difference with Phobos.

I don't know of discontinued scents count a LEs, but none the less: scents like Dublin?

Search the thread for "Dublin" and ye shall find a number of recommendations.

(Actually, many of the ones in this thread are for Dublin -> LE. There are a couple mentions in the Similarities among GC scents thread. That thread says GC and d/c, so I'd assume for the purposes of this forum, discontinued is being counted as GC. *shrug*)

Edited by naeelah

I don't know of discontinued scents count a LEs, but none the less: scents like Dublin?

Search the thread for "Dublin" and ye shall find a number of recommendations.

(Actually, many of the ones in this thread are for Dublin -> LE. There are a couple mentions in the Similarities among GC scents thread. That thread says GC and d/c, so I'd assume for the purposes of this forum, discontinued is being counted as GC. *shrug*)

I cross posted misoXmikado's request to the other thread, and decided to clarify the title of that thread a bit.

For me, personally... Just a teensy dab of Thanatos with Bliss over top smells like July 07's 13. This could just be my skin chemistry, but maybe try layering Thanatos and Bliss? The sort of incense-y spiciness in Thanatos gives it that bit of warm spiciness (and oddly, frutiness), and Bliss over top becomes slightly less dry--that edible kind of smell that I just can't stop craving.

Oddly enough, on my skin, I found The Music of Erich Zahn to be very similar to SM. The only difference on me was the tamarind note which adds a slight bit of tart/sweetness to Erich Zahn- I have had my bottle since it came out (almost a year??) and the resins have gotten a bit deeper and the tamarind has backed down a bit. It's very lovely :nods:

Thanks so much Euterpe414! I will make it a priority to track that one down.

I haven't tried Schwarzer Mond, but I have tried Minotaur and it went cola-ish as well, and I think quite a few people were comparing it to SM.