Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zankoku_zen

Rabbit Moon 2021

Rabbit Moon is an oil of fecundity, shrewdness, swiftness, and cunning. It embodies liminality, rebirth, regeneration, immortality, endurance, cunning, and getting the last laugh.

Long green grasses, warm speckled fur, cardamom pod, sweet ambrette seed, caramelized bourbon vanilla, toasted clove, sweetened 3-year aged patchouli, gardenia petals, white sandalwood, nutmeg, and Cambodian oud.

This is beautiful! Absolutely thanking myself for snagging a bottle.

Wet: This is definitely a scent invocative of a rabbit- the oud brings a bit of an earthy, animalic undercurrent. I suspect the gardenia is also doing some... smelly things in the indolic department. (I would say that, if oud or white florals are finicky with your nostrils, this might not be for you.)

The spices are very present in the forefront- the clove is behaving so far (often does terrible cat pee things on my skin). It's a bit like if you spilled a rustic homemade mug of spiced chai on a rabbit den.

Drydown: The indolic nature of this tones down a bit- it is definitely still there, though, but closer to the skin. The spices and patchouli are sweet and warm, very cozy. The grass note doesn't seem to poke out at all- this is definitely a velvety brown scent through and through.

Overall, I really like this perfume- I rarely try anything with gardenia as I do not like that particular brand of indole, but oud I do like, and I think it is doing great things for this blend. I think that if you are an animal lover, the fuzzy, musky animal nature of this is extremely comforting. It is VERY spicy, though, so I'd keep that in mind!

I'll try anything the Lab does with ambrette seed, and once again this is a stunner. Very weird, nothing like anything in my collection. Maybe a touch heavy-handed on the spice side of things, but I imagine it will change a bit with aging.

Rabbit Moon starts off with a burst of spices on me. I get the cardamom, clove, and nutmeg. The cardamom doesn't last as long as the clove and nutmeg, though. Then the grass joins in, so that it's a spicy grass scent on a bed of musky fur and resins. I wouldn't worry about the gardenia or oudh in this -- neither of these notes jumped out at me, but that could be because I tend to amp spices.

This is really nice, but I'm not sure if I need a bottle since I already own two bottles of Spinning on Graves for grassy clove. I'll probably retest this one before it goes down just to be sure, though!

Warm grass, fur, clove and a whiff of ambrette seed. This is softer and cuddlier than I expected. In some ways, it reminds me to aged Buck Moon but less feral and earthier. Medium throw, average wear length.

This is an interesting one, and a real morpher on me.  In the bottle:  Warm caramel, soft fur, and a sort of grassiness/herbiness.  On, wet:  Some definite patchouli/dirt notes coming out in a GOOD way, along with more green notes.  Also, dry hay?  Drydown:  The oudh and darker spices show up to play.  Overall, stays close to skin on me.  Long time to develop, low throw, but good/interesting wear length.  

I get a lot of herbs, and an earthy musk. It's captivating in a confusing way... as it warms up it starts to smell like animal, and then it turns into a scared animal: my cat stuck in the carrier on an airplane. This one isn't a keeper for me, sadly.

Warm nutmeg covered fur and sticky caramel. It's a little woodsy but not too much for me to dislike it. Toasted and nutty,  almost close to unbuttered popcorn but it doesn't quite reach that.

This is close to how my cat smells after roaming around my farm: It's dirty but sweet. Like he was rolling around in the dirt but also got into the flower garden and played in the grass. This is very musky and dirty, much like a wild rabbit or other animal. 

I really like this. It's an earthy scent but has some sweetness in here to make it more wearable for me. Can't go wrong with the bottle artwork either. I can see this being good for sleep since it's comforting.

Spiced, fuzzy fur among whiffs of grasses, earthiness, and caramel. Cardamom, clove, and nutmeg are all present early on, and among the most potent notes. The whole blend has a toasted quality.

I'm getting an earthiness from this that doesn't read as straight-up dirt. I think it's mostly patchouli mingling with fur musk. I admit sometimes I wish furry animal concept didn't always mean fur notes... but also, not really wishing, because it's nice to feel safe from needing bottles of too many things.

This is a cozy, spicy, earthy animal blend.

I don't have a lot of specifics about this one, though there's a few things I can pick out. There's a lovely soft gardenia opening, and the clove is detectable, before drying down in to a vaguely spicy-earthy-sweet floral haze. The thing is, though, that despite not getting a super strong impression, I really like it. It's comfortable. I put it on and feel like I could wear it every day. My partner commented that the drydown read to them as a 'disturbingly realistic pumpkin pie', and someone with a slightly more trained nose 'gets something green', both of which make sense with the notes and my own impressions - but, again, my strongest impression is just 'comfy'.

In the bottle, I get the cardamom and nutmeg first, then a warm furry effect, and a trace of oud.

Applied to my skin, the grass, clove and sandalwood come out. I don't get much of anything caramelized, but there is a bit of sweetness to the blend. Vanilla and patchouli seem to be happily lurking in the long grass with the spices and sandalwood, neither standing out especially. Oud is way off in the background, providing a darker base note.

Drying down, there is a hint of a floral note, but I would not necessarily recognize gardenia if it wasn't listed. The cardamom has been continuous throughout, and that in combination with the grass gives a light green contrast to the furry brown - "speckled fur" is an apt description. It feels tricky and lovely and warm.

Ok, so, first things first, I still think about my adorable bunny that died like. 5yrs ago a lot, he was such a sweet boy, and this does vaguely smell of him - or at least, it gets that weirdly 'soapy' thing right, on first sniff. I'd describe his scent as musk, fur, hay, lavender and something eeever so slightly earhy and soapy (he smelled surprisingly nice for a bun lol). 

This is a different bun, one that has an appely sweetness, and the freshness of grass. Get a handful of hay in the mix, strong clove and nutmeg, and ya got this adorable bun.