Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ivyandpeony

Rosewater & Myrrh

I'm really enjoying this one; it's a bottle contender. The rosewater note is light, a little syrupy, and not at all soapy. The myrrh makes the scent as a whole smell like rose flavored soda. It's refreshing and has the same sparkly pink quality as Rose Quartz Bedroom.

Myrrrrrrrhhh. Mostly resinous that smells a little like soda. The rose is there, but it is faint. This isn't a big rose with thick velvet petals. This is a spritz of rose essence. Sweet and uplifting.

I use rosewater daily in my facial routine. I love the gentle scent of rose given off. This is the same rose as in Rose Quartz Bedroom, but softer and with a powdery myrrh grounding it. No soapiness here, just a lovely scent. 

I thought this would be a homerun for me as I have come to love frankincense and myrrh, and rosewater is always a favorite. But I don't think I like myrrh without frankicense. It has a medicinal/licorice quality that the rosewater just adds powder, too.

This one is primarily myrrh, with a faint hint of floral sweetness from the rosewater in the background. As a bonus, this rose note doesn't go powdery. Simple, pretty, and resinous without being too heavy -- sort of like a lighter, pared-down version of Wander Darkling in the Eternal Space. It has moderate wear time; I applied it in the morning and it was mostly gone by late afternoon. One to try if you like myrrh and/or have bad luck with rose scents.

On paper, this should have worked; however I'm amping the myrrh and this is a thick, sharp, and spicy beast. Unfortunately the rosewater is coming across powdery on me. So this rose lover finally came across a rose/rosewater scent they can't play with. I was imagining this would be soft and delicate, but it's quite loud. I'll have to find something with frankincense to try layering and tame the myrrh.

I don't pay attention to gender labels with scents, but I'd say this is actually quite masculine. Funny enough its reminding me of an attar I've forgotten the brand/name of, so if you also like attars you may want to sample this. 

ETA: I let this rest an additional two weeks and the myrrh has really calmed down. It's very distinct, but now it's playing very nicely with the rosewater. The rosewater is still going powdery, but it's wearable for me now. I still agree with my original thoughts that it's masculine forward, but I definitely see this as gender-bending sophisticated and spicy beast. This would be perfect for evenings. For sure, let this one rest longer.

Edited by Anna-Marina
Updating review due to addtl resting

This oil has two phases: the initial powdery rose, followed by the resinous myrrh. It is fairly straightforward with no surprises. The two notes do not blend together but present very separately. Maybe aging will bring them together. Agree it would be good for layering. 

The myrrh in this really jumps out to me right away in the bottle, and that's also the case on my skin. Definitely sort of medicinal, almost reminds me of a dentist's office... Fortunately I do quite like that (but bear in mind I genuinely like the smell of Dettol, lol), but I can see how some people might think it's a bit too medical. 

It's actually quite hard for me to pick up the rosewater note in the bottle and it's not until a good while after it's dried on my skin that it comes through. It's quite gentle, and doesn't go powdery on me either. I think the notes do actually blend together, at least on me. Once fully dry there's definitely rose, but with that sharp spiciness of the myrrh. 

It's very interesting and I'm definitely keen to try layering it with other scents. Like most people above have mentioned, I think I tend to associate myrrh with frankincense, so I'd be interested to see if that softens the myrrh a bit more. 

Edit: I put it on around 2pm yesterday and now it's 11am the day after so I've worn it for ages, slept on it, showered with it... and call me crazy but I'm pretty sure I can still smell a faint powdery myrrh on my wrist. The staying power on this is nuts!!

Edited by Moonbell

Powdery rosewater. The myrrh makes this into a rose talcum sort of blend, and its nostalgic and makes me think of my grandmother. Medium throw and wear length.

I find the combination of these two notes meditative and calming. They’re both equally present, and combine together seamlessly, making something simple and beautiful.