Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Where we're going, or what we're leaving behind: raw cacao, bourbon vetiver, red benzoin, opoponax, tobacco absolute, queen of the night, tuberose, and inky musk.

In The Bottle: A mix of the vetiver and inky musk, with a touch of the cacao to smooth things over.

Wet On Skin: The vetiver becomes a bit stronger now, definitely the lead note at this stage- something I hope continues because I *really* love vetiver. 

Dry Down: It's amazing. Part of what makes it amazing is that the combination of the opoponax, vetiver and musk combine to create something akin to leather. The reason that's amazing is 1. it's NOT leather, but something reminiscent and 2. I can't wear leather, because it always amps on my skin. This scent takes the best aspects of a leather note- its rich, earthy element- and mixes it with wisps of the cacao, queen of the night and tuberose, to create something that is deep, decadent and full of mystery.

I anticipate this aging gorgeously, but right now, in its current state, it's perfect for the beginning transition from summer into autumn. ❤️ 

This one is interesting because it smells so different than what I expected based on the notes.

Wet: The cacao and vetiver are blending to create what smells to me like patchouli of the chocolatey/herbal type. It smells like a hippie dark chocolate bar in a good way.

Drydown: The above poster is correct. It smells like leather (non chemical, but raw) along with the minty patchouli scent. About 20 minutes in, I get an impression of honey or amber. That must be the tobacco coming through. 

40 minutes in: The queen of the night smells like slightly spicy carnation. I think I am getting some black musk. Leather remains the dominant note. At some point, the queen of the night equals the strength of the leather. 

3 hours later: It's now slightly woody, and there is definitely black musk in the base. It's a little sweet from the benzoin, but not powdery.  I didn't smell any tuberose or opoponax (which has a cola like scent on me usually). Throw is low, and within a couple of hours it's a skin scent on me, but my skin eats perfume. I would say it's gender neutral for the most part, leaning masculine (ish) in the base. Wear time is about 8 hours. I did just get this in the mail yesterday. I think with aging the notes will blend together more, and this will be fantastic. Definitely one to get if you like leather scents, despite the lack of it in the notes. Fortunately, I do.

4.5 out of 5 stars.

I was worried that the tuberose and Queen of the Night might dominate this scent, but I love the other notes too much not to try it. And I'm glad I did!

It's hard for me to pick out individual notes, no particular one seems to dominate.  Overall, this is a sweet woody incense with some soft floral notes floating over it, and I adore it.